Author Topic: Captain America: Civil War was waaaaay better than Batman v Superman  (Read 5994 times)

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW

Offline PyroMenace

Re: Captain America: Civil War was waaaaay better than Batman v Superman
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday, May 11, 2016, 08:28:06 AM »
It was fantastic. They even managed to cast and write a really good Spider-Man.

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday, May 11, 2016, 09:53:59 AM »
I guess I'm alone in disliking the cliche about superheroes who repeatedly save the world getting the blame for the bad shit that happens in the process of saving it, and ending up as social pariahs.  Bad shit should get blamed on, you know, the bad guys?  Particularly in comic-book stories?  No?

Also, Stark was a total dick all the way through.  Plot mover more than believable character.

Edit:

"How stupid do you have to be to be so easily manipulated by a [25-year-old video, Tony]?"

Cool writeup, though.  Great to see you published under the IGN umbrella.  I agree with you on just about everything.  The action was terrific, and the interaction between all the superpowers and tech enhancements was amazing.  Certainly not short at all on visceral entertainment.

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday, May 11, 2016, 12:39:08 PM »
haha very true. I was thinking that in the film. If it wasn't the heroes, who would have stopped the villains?

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #4 on: Thursday, May 12, 2016, 06:57:20 AM »
The dark theory is that the supervillains are attracted by the superheroes, and that the whole mess would have never happened on such an overwhelming scale without the lure.  It's difficult to think too seriously about the premise of super-humans, but if I try a bit, I have to reject the theory.  I see it more like inventions happening simultaneously in different parts of the world.  When the time is right for a concept to reach practical fruition, it does.  The people who get the credit are just the lucky ones, the ones who happened to be there at the right time, and good fortune removed or prevented the obstacles out of their control.  Similarly, if supers are going to happen, they're gonna happen.  If the good ones do nothing, the evil ones triumph.  And that's that.

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #5 on: Thursday, May 12, 2016, 10:13:16 PM »
"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing." -Edward Burke Irish orator, philosopher, & politician (1729 - 1797)

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #6 on: Friday, May 13, 2016, 03:42:13 AM »
"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing." -Edward Burke Irish orator, philosopher, & politician (1729 - 1797)

So that's who said it.  Yep, that very quote came to mind after I paraphrased half of it unintentionally.  So I used the rest.  :)

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #7 on: Friday, May 13, 2016, 04:51:42 AM »
So that's who said it.  Yep, that very quote came to mind after I paraphrased half of it unintentionally.  So I used the rest.  :)
Burke is credited for it but honestly the notion has been phrased and paraphrased over the ages, since long before Burke.

I don't know what I liked better:
(click to show/hide)

Offline PyroMenace

« Reply #8 on: Friday, May 13, 2016, 06:55:24 PM »
I guess I'm alone in disliking the cliche about superheroes who repeatedly save the world getting the blame for the bad shit that happens in the process of saving it, and ending up as social pariahs.  Bad shit should get blamed on, you know, the bad guys?  Particularly in comic-book stories?  No?

I do agree with you, but I will say in defense of Marvel they made some effort to throw some blame on the heroes since just about everything bad that happened in the last Avengers movie directly came from themselves (creating Ultron, yet another Hulk rampage).

Offline Ace_O_Spades

• Poster Child
« Reply #9 on: Saturday, July 02, 2016, 06:30:06 PM »
My biggest gripe with the movie was the fast cuts in the fighting. Cap 2 had much better action choreography.
The CONtrast
...Is the conTRAST
to THE contrast...

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #10 on: Saturday, July 02, 2016, 10:38:02 PM »
After watching BvS a couple of nights ago, I wholeheartedly endorse the title of the thread.

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday, July 05, 2016, 02:28:39 PM »
A lot of people liked the action in BvS but I don't get it. The CGI at the end was awful. The Batman v Superman fight was underwhelming and stupid. Also Batman was pretty dumb at times.

Edit:

The Batman rescue thing at the warehouse was brilliant though.