Author Topic: The very opposite of net neutrality. This is insane. Facebook censorship.  (Read 5356 times)

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW

Offline scottws

• Gold Member
    • Facebook Me
Re: The very opposite of net neutrality. This is insane. Facebook censorship.
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday, September 14, 2016, 08:08:38 AM »
Personally, I don't think this has anything to do with net neutrality.  Here is my understanding of "net neutrality": Internet service providers should just provide people with a connection to resources available on the Internet and then get out of the way.  They should not provide priority traffic to either their own services or services from third parties in exchange for payment and they should not exempt their own services or services from third parties from data caps or bandwidth limits in exchange for payment.

The issue you have linked is an issue with a particular third party (Facebook in this case) deciding to censor content on its own service.  Regardless of what your stance on censorship is, I think this is a fundamentally different issue than net neutrality.

While, as a U.S. citizen, I am conditioned to be against censorship, I think it's okay for Facebook to define its own terms of use and decide what content it is going to allow on its own service.  That said, I think it was a mistake to remove the particular photograph in question.