Author Topic: Animal Crossing: New Leaf recieves huge update  (Read 1285 times)

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
Animal Crossing: New Leaf recieves huge update
« on: Wednesday, November 02, 2016, 02:02:50 PM »
See whats new!

The game will be getting rereleased containing the update, but current owners can also just download it for free. One of the main things is adding amiibo functionality so you can move in specific villagers. But even without amiibo there are a ton of new things. One is a sort of daily/weekly quest system. For example I had to go find the breakable rock today and catch a specific insect as dailies, and then I have to fish up 1 trash item and water 20 flowers by Monday as my weekly ones. Completing them earns you tickets which you can then spend at the new campground store for unique items.

On top of that they implemented the Happy Home Designer touchscreen room organization system which will make redecorating rooms super easy. Nook will sell you a Storeroom whish has tons and tons of space for you to store all the items you want to keep around but don't actually have room for. Finding new Wii Us or 3DS systems as items in the game will allow you to play 2 new minigames: Desert Island Escape which is a turn based game from the Wii U Amiibo Festival game, and Puzzle League, which is...Puzzle League.

Anyway, its pretty substantial so if you haven't played in a while it might be worth a look. Don't worry about weeds, they get auto-picked for you once the update is applied. They also give you the option to sell your old town to Tom Nook. He will give you a massive amount of bells and start you off in a new town if you want to begin fresh.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
Re: Animal Crossing: New Leaf recieves huge update
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday, November 02, 2016, 03:19:33 PM »
Man, that's pretty fucking great, I have to say. I've been wanting to go back to this for a while. I wish I had more time for things like "fun".

天才的な閃きと平均以下のテクニックやな。 課長有野

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
Re: Animal Crossing: New Leaf recieves huge update
« Reply #2 on: Monday, November 07, 2016, 05:44:38 PM »
I almost wish Desert Island Escape was available outside the game, like an eshop game to get you to buy amiibos. Because I'm enjoying the hell out of it. Its kind of boardgamey,  fairly simple to play, but its great for just quick bursts of something mildly strategic.

Guess I should explain what its like. You get a choice of 3 villagers to form a team. You can spend 2 Play Coins to recruit a villager from your town. Alternatively if you have amiibos/amiibo cards you can scan them and get that villager on your team for free. Well..."free" because I assume you bought the amiibo/cards. As long as you reuse the same team when you play they don't make you rescan them, which is nice.

Different animals will have different skills so building teams can be important depending on the map you're on. If you have water to cross you better have an aquatic villager on your team. Horses can move the furthest but have limited visual range. Cats can fish without a fishing pole. Things like that. I don't have any aquatic animals but have beaten maps with areas only accessible by crossing water. So they arent required but might make your attempt easier.

So the island is a hex grid. There are a bunch of different layouts that stay the same but I believe where you find things are randomized. A lookout tower space will clear the fog around it to show you more of the island. Spaces with question makers can be one of several things: a pitfall trap, an enemy to fight, a fruit tree to shake for fruit, a beehive, or an item.

Items are rocks, string, cloth, and sticks. In between days if you have enough items you can make tools. A rock and a stick can make a shovel or a slingshot. String + stick = fishing pole. Cloth + stick = bug net. These tools can help you deal with the other event style spaces. For example, the bug net will basically remove the chance of bees stinging you if you want to collect honey. A shovel will prevent you from falling into a pitfall trap (which would end that characters turn). You can then bury the pitfall trap on a fight tile to avoid that fight. Slingshot gives you a better chance at winning fights, and the fishing pole lets you catch fish.

The other thing to find on spaces are the parts of your raft, which are 3 logs and a sail. Thats what you're really looking for. You only have 7 days to collect them all and only start with 3 days worth of food. So you must search quickly and also collect food or you will starve and everyone will die and that would be really sad in Animal Crossing. If you manage to build the raft in time you get a score at the end. Searching spaces earns you points as you play, as well as collecting items. The number of days remaining and how much food you still have are also big score boosts at the end. If you manage to pass a target score you will earn some MEOW tickets outside of this minigame that you can use to buy new stuff from the campgrounds.

Anyway, its super fun and you should check it out if you're able. You unlock it by getting a Wii U in-game, by buying it from an amiibo character you scanned into the campgrounds or buy getting lucky with fortune cookies.