Games > General Gaming

Diablo 1 & Hellfire - Update: Hellfire added to GOG version (Reply 22)

<< < (2/5) > >>

MysterD:

--- Quote from: K-man on Sunday, January 08, 2017, 11:55:46 AM ---I actually reinstalled the game yesterday and am currently on Level 8.  I hadn't bothered to patch up.  Thanks for the tutorial.  I'm not going to install the source port just yet.  I've never actually completed a play through of the game, and I'd like to experience it at least once how the developer intended.

--- End quote ---

Understandable. I did play it back in the day + finished it w/ both offline + online characters - so yeah, I'm fine w/ Source Ports and all.
Plus, this game can be a real pain in the ass to get going, on Modern OS's - especially if you try to patch it up and then run it.

This Source Port's the easy way to really get this going and running well on Modern OS's.

Quemaqua:
OG Diablo is one of the first games I played heavily online. Was in a clan, made a ton of friends. I have no idea how many hours I logged. It probably wasn't half as many as it feels like, because I don't think I leveled THAT many characters, but man did I have a good time. I miss those times. I was like 14/15.

K-man:
I ended last night on the final floor.  I've cleared out the hallways and pulled a switch that opened a previously walled off area.  looks like there's two more after that.  Despite the age and inefficiencies in design it has been a very enjoyable experience.  I've only run into a handful of things that were anything more than a minor annoyance.  The main one though is that it is to your disadvantage to have a ton of gold.  It only stacks in amounts up to 5k and takes one inventory slot each.  So by the end of the game, if you're a frugal spender, 2/3 of your inventory is gold.  Unfortunately Neither Wirt or Griswold had much in the way of beneficial equipment to spend money on. 

The other thing I found annoying were the enemy types that would run away from you.  As a warrior you have no reliable way to counter this, so you spend an inordinate amount of time chasing enemies down or trying to catch them in a corner.  Fire wall helps, but the warrior class doesn't really focus on mana, so at best I can cast it twice before I'm eating a potion.  The final few levels have been a grind.  I was in dire need of some resistance gear, and fortunately a quest answered that need.  I feel like I am fairly well equipped to handle Diablo.  Guess I'll find out tonight!

The original has a grittiness that was somewhat lost in Diablo 2.  Unfortunately it was INCREDIBLY lost in Diablo 3.  I believe it has to do with the more personal nature of the combat.  You can't go in guns blazing.  Getting surrounded is death.  You absolutely must use the environment to your advantage.  And, honestly, I kind of like it.

Quemaqua:
I'd agree with your assessment there. Even though I loved D2 for all of its many improvements to gameplay, it still lost something the original had, both in terms of gameplay and in terms of atmosphere. It's clearly the best game in the series, but there remains something special about OG Diablo that I don't feel like anything has ever quite replicated. It was a simple idea that stuck to its guns and didn't suffer from bloat. D3 is a prime example of how to deviate from that formula. It's by all means a good game at this point, and one I enjoyed and continue to enjoy, but it's a textbook illustration of "more is less". The stupid story that doesn't work, the weak characters, the stupid demons that turned into cartoons, the colossal dumptruck of lore that actually only serves to weaken and cheapen the gameworld rather than add value because none of it has much imagination, the fact that death is basically meaningless. All of these things, despite a good game markedly improved since its launch, make it less than its predecessors. Some of that additive-creep began in D2, and while it never truly became egregious, you can see the shift from the first game, which is in so many ways a purer and better thing.

That said, we've learned a lot about interface and usability since then. The stuff that source port adds is all very welcome to me, and made it easier to go back. I made it to the catacombs last night with a rogue. Even with the new additions like a personal stash and trade stash, things like inventory remain a nightmare. Made like 4 trips up and down from Leoric's tomb to carry back items. Total slog.

MysterD:
When sequels do "more of the same", of course it's going to lose something. It's going to lose the freshness that made the original so great in the first place. The problem w/ Diablo 1 was....well, it was great. There really wasn't much wrong w/ it, when it came out. It wasn't like Assassin's Creed 1, which had a tons of problems + issues - but AC2 was so much better than it couldn't be denied which was the better game.

Also, D2 is a much BIGGER game. More towns; more different locations/are; and well....basically it's "more-more-more." If you loved D1, it should be right up most gamers' alley. Only thing really missing here was - well, no....D2 also dropped the kitchen sink.
Best game in the series, if you ask me.

D3 basically...streamlined everything. Can't improve stats of your characters (it's gone), more "consolized" (less hot-keys), skills just unlock at level-up. It makes it impossible for most to screw their build-up, which is good for no0bs. I did like the "fluff" D3 added w/ optional Lore audio + stuff, even though it wasn't anything special - but it added some flavor + personality to a series that lacked it, in previous titles. Previous games felt more game-y, straight-forward and to the point, TBH. But, Loot tables sucked until the revamped Loot 2.0 patch.

And RoS fixed the game, taking a good game (Diablo 3) w/ its awesome last act + especially w/ opening the game-world up w/ Adventure Mode, turning it finally into something great. Mind you, it isn't D1+D2 - but this is a different kind of great.

Now...if D3 ever loses its player-base severely on PC, I would so love for the game to get an offline mode.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version