Author Topic: Saturday adventure  (Read 2080 times)

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
Saturday adventure
« on: Friday, December 08, 2006, 12:09:25 AM »
Despite living so close to Chicago and working in places downtown, my family and I don't really go down there for fun. Parking is a bitch and expensive and overall it's a hassle to go downtown. But Saturday...I have it all planned out.

This all started a few weeks back. I was reading the Craftster forums and someone posted they had tickets to some fancy craft show in Chicago. They were free passes, just giving them away because they were doing the show in Canada, got all the passes but didnt know anyone that would want them. So a quick email and some days in the mail, I've got free passes to the One of a Kind Show. Looks pretty cool to me.

Like I said, driving down there and parking is no fun. Well it turns out the Metra train service does $5 weekend passes. So we jump on a train at a stop out here and just ride in. $5 we can get on and off the trains all we want. Woo! That will get us downtown and within walking distance of the craft show.

After the show we'll be hungry. We used to work at Childrens Memorial Hospital, but recently they replaced their gamma cameras to models we don't work on. Haven't been back and don't plan on going back. Which is a damn shame because right across the road from there is one of the best Chinese/Japanese/Sushi places I've ever eaten at. We'll hop on the elevated train and ride up to go eat there. My mom has never eaten there before, so it'll be quite a treat.

Once thats done we'll head back down to Michigan Ave and go window shopping. The stores decorate the windows for christmas and we've never gone to see them in person. Hell, I've never gone shopping downtown before outside of the childrens hospital thrift shop (had a nice selection of CDs). Judging from the maps Millennium Park isn't too far away, we might hike that way to get pics of The Bean.

Its not all in stone, no idea if it'll be too cold to walk some places and if we see something neat we'll check it out. I'll have my camera the whole time and try to snap a bunch of pics for you guys. It's pretty exciting for me. The city is so...foreign to me.

Offline TheOtherBelmont

• Post-aholic
Re: Saturday adventure
« Reply #1 on: Friday, December 08, 2006, 12:19:55 AM »
Sounds like you'll have fun.  I'm the other way around, living in a small town drives me insane and feels foreign to me since I have always lived in a fairly large city.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #2 on: Friday, December 08, 2006, 12:34:56 AM »
Sounds like a good time!

I can deal with small town life or big city life... doesn't make much difference to me.  I'm very much used to the big city just because I've lived a stones throw from San Francisco my whole life, but I'm not the kind of guy that feels he has to get out and "take advantage" every 10 seconds.  I don't go clubbing, I don't go to bars, don't need to go sightseeing being that I live here... so it's almost kind of irrelevant.  Still, I prefer the city.  For the 8 billion things that I hate about it, the fact is that I'm just plain used to it, and I like the convenience of having anything I could conceivably want right in my lap.

天才的な閃きと平均以下のテクニックやな。 課長有野

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #3 on: Friday, December 08, 2006, 01:33:34 AM »
Big cities are just so much better.

Offline poomcgoo

• Poster Child
« Reply #4 on: Friday, December 08, 2006, 08:09:34 AM »
I live in the middle of Boston.  The city is kinda cool, but visiting and living here are two different things.  They found a dead body behind our apartment a month or so ago -- not the kinda stuff you have to deal when when you're just visiting.

Offline Ghandi

• HAMS
« Reply #5 on: Friday, December 08, 2006, 08:15:54 AM »
Big cities are just so much better.

I dunno. I live in a little mountain city and it's awesome. It's got....character. There aren't as many of the luxuries as a big city, but I enjoy it nonetheless. Plus we got a shit ton of snow last night and it was great fun.

Offline sirean_syan

• Global Moderator
  • Post-aholic
« Reply #6 on: Friday, December 08, 2006, 02:42:43 PM »
I'm happy with where I live. It's in a larger area, not in the big big parts of the city, but also not quite a suburb. The best of both worlds. It's quiet enough but if I want to go into the real part of city it's easy to get to.

Sounds cool though, Idol. I wish the Bay Area had something like an all day pass on the train for $5. As it is, I pay $7 a day to get in and out of San Francisco.

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #7 on: Saturday, December 09, 2006, 06:34:08 PM »
Well, that was quite a fun adventure into the city. We used public transportation and a little walking and saw/did quite a bit. I had my camera but didn't take too many pictures. First, it was cold and I didn't want take my gloves off. Second, it was better to be "in the moment" than behind the lens. I'll just pepper the few shots in with the story.

The day started off at about 8am when we stopped by the bank for cash and made our way to the train station.

We got on the train at around 9am...after standing on the platform with a bunch of other people freezing to death. The train ended up being quite crowded and some people were forced to stand. Luckily I found a seat up top. Turns out they were so full they canceled most other stops into Chicago and we became an express train into town. Nice! Only downside to the trip was the 2 teenage girls sitting next to me playing shitty music on the shitty speakers of their shitty cell phone. Its like, you know the music is mangled to sound like a Casio keyboard, right?

Random shot inside the Ogilvie station, looking up.

Decorations in the station.

Once in town we had to walk a little ways to the craft show place. It wasn't that far and it was warming up a bit so it wasn't so bad. Got a shot of a cool reflection:

The crafty show was cool. Everything was more arty than crafty, and priced like it too ($150 for a ring made of wood?). There were a couple cool booths like this guy that made awesome pewter animals, a lady that did tons of polymer clay jewelry, and one guy that had some amazing glass stuff. Just nothing we could afford. Though we saw lots of people lugging around quite a few bags of stuff...yeesh.

Next up, lunch! The place we wanted to eat was not within walking distance, so it was time to hit the L!

Pretty fun to ride, even if I had to stand. Took the brown line north to Fullerton Ave and then walked a short ways to the restaurant, Nan's. Great chinese place. My mom never got to eat there before so it was cool she got to come. We quickly went to th roof of the parking garage there to have a look at the skyline. Before going back to the train we stopped at the White Elephant store the childrens hospital owns. Mom got some jewelry, I got annoyed by some children.

Instead of going back to the Merchandise Mart (where the craft show was), we decided to head into the more downtown areas...see the shopping stuff and whatever. Got on the L again, red line south. This started above the road like the other L trains, but somehow ended up as a subway. Really cool, never been on a subway before.

We're not sure exactly what happened down there...we either simply passed the stop we were planning on or the map was wrong or something, but we ended up a few streets south of where we planned. Nothing really major, but it ended up being good for us. Dad suggested we walk over the Michigan Ave for shopping stuff, seems to be the "main" shopping road. Off we went.

Then we saw it.

The Bean.

Its a fairly new addition to Chicago, big giant bean with a mirror finish. I never expected it to be THAT large, though. Pretty amazing thing to see in person.

ZOMGIDOL

When heading back to the train station (several blocks west) we happened to pass by the Marshall Fields store (well...now Macys). Tons of people there. They had the decorated windows which are always a big deal, but I thought they were pretty lame. No inventiveness to them this year. Still is was damn near impossible to walk through the people crowding the windows.

Further down still we found Daily Plaza. You may remember this place from the end of the Blues Brothers movie when they drive the car into the building.

You probably recognize the statue. But whats all that other crap? Turns out there was some German fest thing going on. You could buy beer, pretzels, trinkets...all sorts of german stuff.

Also in the plaza was the giant christmas tree.

Once past all that stuff, the streets were pretty empty (of people). Walking back to the train station was no big deal. We had a little time to kill until the next one arrived, so we ordered some sundaes from the food court and chilled for a bit. One the train home we got our pick of seats and it was a leisurely ride.

So yeah, a cool day.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #8 on: Saturday, December 09, 2006, 09:27:43 PM »
Awesome pictures!  Sounds like fun.  I've always wanted to visit Chicago but I've never gone over that way.  Done plenty of US travel, but never managed to make that stop.  Same with Seattle and Boston.  Maybe someday.  Anyway... the bean is cool!  San Francisco doesn't have any beans.  Just a bunch of nuts.

天才的な閃きと平均以下のテクニックやな。 課長有野

Offline Ghandi

• HAMS
« Reply #9 on: Saturday, December 09, 2006, 09:52:51 PM »
You probably recognize the statue. But whats all that other crap? Turns out there was some German fest thing going on. You could buy beer, pretzels, trinkets...all sorts of german stuff.

BEERFEST?!?!?! Ah, nevermind, that's in Germany. Looks like you had a good time. That bean thing is cool as hell.

Offline sirean_syan

• Global Moderator
  • Post-aholic
« Reply #10 on: Sunday, December 10, 2006, 12:10:45 AM »
That bean is awesome. I wonder how long it'll actually stay nice and shiny though. Some dick always has to screw up something cool like that.

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #11 on: Sunday, December 10, 2006, 04:23:32 PM »
As usual, your pix are awesome.  Looks like a great day to look at, from inside a warm building with big windows.  (Have I mentioned that I hate the cold?)