Author Topic: Rogue One: A Star Wars Story  (Read 10234 times)

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
Rogue One: A Star Wars Story
« on: Thursday, April 07, 2016, 10:55:07 AM »

I didn't know this was being made. Apparently set before A New Hope, it's the story of the Death Star plans being stolen.

Offline PyroMenace

Re: Rogue One: A Star Wars Story
« Reply #1 on: Thursday, April 07, 2016, 02:05:11 PM »
I had heard of this, but damn that trailer looked great.

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: Thursday, December 22, 2016, 10:26:31 AM »
I saw this yesterday and really liked it.  Actually probably more than Ep 7 as a standalone entry.

Offline scottws

• Gold Member
    • Facebook Me
« Reply #3 on: Thursday, December 22, 2016, 03:26:37 PM »
I saw it Tuesday and loved it. I also liked it more than VII.

Offline ren

• Veteran
« Reply #4 on: Friday, December 23, 2016, 02:39:06 PM »
Also saw it and loved it.

The first act seemed to jump around all over the place and I had a hard time getting absorbed into the movie. Later on it was perfect.

If it wasn't for the jumpiness of the first half I'd pick it over VII but as it stands I could go either way.

Offline PyroMenace

« Reply #5 on: Saturday, December 24, 2016, 12:20:26 AM »
Also saw it and loved it.

The first act seemed to jump around all over the place and I had a hard time getting absorbed into the movie. Later on it was perfect.

If it wasn't for the jumpiness of the first half I'd pick it over VII but as it stands I could go either way.

Yea I saw it on premiere night and I felt the exact same, I understood they were setting up all the characters, I even kind of felt perhaps more could have been there with some of them but it came together really amazingly at the end.

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #6 on: Saturday, April 15, 2017, 06:50:13 AM »
I guess the general consensus on the importance of endings has left me behind in the 20th century.  Yeah, I know the line from a previous story that sets up the ending here; but she said "many", not "ALL"!

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #7 on: Friday, April 21, 2017, 10:06:57 PM »
I guess the general consensus on the importance of endings has left me behind in the 20th century.  Yeah, I know the line from a previous story that sets up the ending here; but she said "many", not "ALL"!

I don't really remember but I'm not really following?

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
  • OWNet 4 Eternity & Beyond
« Reply #8 on: Saturday, April 22, 2017, 05:40:47 AM »
Saw it last weekend. Thought it was awesome. Was really surprised at how awesome it was.

I really liked Ep7 (AKA New Hope template revisited) + then now this w/ Rogue One, within not too much time later?
Man, Disney really pumping out some very high quality Star Wars films mad quick.

I liked some of the risks this movie did, basically feeling like a one-off side episode to fill in some of the blanks + do some new stuff...
(click to show/hide)
Though, some of the lesser characters probably could've got more screen-time + character development - which is probably my only real complaint w/ this film.

I think Ep 7 did a better job w/ character development + whatnot, but really dug the actual plot of Rogue One.

The last 1/3rd was outstanding. Incredible. One of the best action-based finales I've seen in an action/sci-fi film ever.
The ground-warfare focus in the last 1/3rd felt like a war-movie like Platoon, FMJ, Hacksaw Ridge, or one of those. Really liked that war-style stuff added on top of the sci-fi feel & style the comes in the a usual SW film.

Visuals were outstanding, of course - as usual w/ SW films.

VERY HIGHLY recommend this (Rogue) One.

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #9 on: Saturday, April 22, 2017, 07:36:23 AM »

I don't really remember but I'm not really following?

(click to show/hide)

It makes this the first movie in the franchise I'll never watch again.  The main courses were very tasty.  The dead rat for dessert ruined the evening and the restaurant for me.

Offline iPPi

• Roar!
« Reply #10 on: Saturday, April 22, 2017, 11:17:07 AM »
I personally thought the ending to Rogue One was perfect.  If any of them
(click to show/hide)
it would have been a bit of a cop out.  Indeed, if you followed on any of the production videos and interviews, the movie underwent fairly substantial reshoots to take into account this darker ending -- they originally had
(click to show/hide)
since they believed that Disney would not permit a dark ending, but it turned out that Disney did.

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #11 on: Sunday, April 23, 2017, 11:55:05 PM »
(click to show/hide)

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #12 on: Monday, April 24, 2017, 06:50:12 AM »
(click to show/hide)

Edit:  Speaking of memory, it is a terribly unreliable thing.  Looking into the "Bothans" quote set me straight on that.  There is no canon that forces any kind of ending on Rogue One.  All we know for sure is that Leia escaped with the plans with Darth Vader in pursuit.

Offline PyroMenace

« Reply #13 on: Monday, April 24, 2017, 08:11:57 AM »
I actually feel like that Rogue One is a typical Hollywood/Disney ending simply from the fact that it does not subvert expectations as they have been spelled out from the first movie decades ago. That's why Disney went with it.

Offline scottws

• Gold Member
    • Facebook Me
« Reply #14 on: Monday, April 24, 2017, 09:24:01 AM »
Wasn't the "Many Bothans died..." line from Return of the Jedi and not from A New Hope?  That was about the plans for the second Death Star.

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #15 on: Monday, April 24, 2017, 12:00:41 PM »
Wasn't the "Many Bothans died..." line from Return of the Jedi and not from A New Hope?  That was about the plans for the second Death Star.

Yep.  I'm not alone in that confusion.  That's why I edited my last post a few minutes after I made it.  Clearing it only strengthens my position.  There is no preexisting storyline that mandates the ending in Rogue One.

Offline scottws

• Gold Member
    • Facebook Me
« Reply #16 on: Monday, April 24, 2017, 06:42:26 PM »
Yeah, I guess that's true.  I suppose they took the tack they did because it was easier to limit paradoxes or plot inconsistencies with the preexisting films.

BTW, I just watched the movie again last week.  Still love it!  Honestly it's right up there with Empire Strikes Back for me.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #17 on: Monday, April 24, 2017, 07:16:31 PM »
Didn't bother me at all.

I guess I didn't mention this here? Some friends dragged me out to see this a while back. Lacking many friends in the area, I was not picky about the choice of film, so I just said screw it and went. Was expecting not to be terribly into it, but it was the first Star Wars-related thing I didn't hate in a very long time. Actually really enjoyed it, and it almost kinda made me want to watch Ep 7. Not enough to actually do it, but you know. I was surprised. It was a good flick.

天才的な閃きと平均以下のテクニックやな。 課長有野

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #18 on: Tuesday, April 25, 2017, 06:57:59 AM »
Yeah, I guess that's true.  I suppose they took the tack they did because it was easier to limit paradoxes or plot inconsistencies with the preexisting films.

BTW, I just watched the movie again last week.  Still love it!  Honestly it's right up there with Empire Strikes Back for me.

Yeah, that's the dark film in the classic trilogy.  Its bad ending consisted of Luke losing a saber fight and a hand, finding out the terrible truth about his father, and the empire gaining the advantage.  In Rogue One,
(click to show/hide)
.  Perfect illustration about the philosophical difference a generation (plus) makes in this context.  Unfortunately, I'm still part of the earlier generation, which is why I have such a problem with so many recent movies.