Author Topic: Alone in the Dark 2008 Thread  (Read 9076 times)

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
  • OWNet 4 Eternity & Beyond
Alone in the Dark 2008 Thread
« on: Tuesday, May 27, 2008, 02:29:04 PM »
Atari is saying they might jump out of OFFLINE Single Player games market.

Oh, but there might be SP games -- as long they will have Internet connectivity, to be "enhanced" by downloadable content and other junk.

Hmmm...do I smell more games that'll use Securom "Internet Edition" or Securom-Internet Check style DRM?

Infogrames: Offline Single-Player Games Not Viable
by Aaron Linde May 27, 2008 2:26pm CST tags: Atari, Infogrames

Adding to comments made late last week, Infogrames president and former Sony executive Phil Harrison suggested that linear single-player gaming experiences may be on the way out in favor of online-enabled, downloadable content-fueled titles.

"I think the single-player, disconnected console game is probably in its dotage," Harrison told Videogaming247. "Now, that doesn't mean that those games aren't relevant going forwards, but they will be enhanced by community features being embedded in them, or downloadable content becoming an inherent part of the experience, or some kind of user-generated content will be part of the experience."

"All of the things we see in other games, the things that we can point to in compelling games," he added. "A relatively linear single-player game without online connectivity is going to be a challenge to green-light going forward."

Harrison said last week that Atari, which is wholly owned by Infogrames, would likely be turning away from high-budget single-player titles in the future. It was recently revealed that the Atari-published horror reboot Alone in the Dark will feature an unconventional DVD-style chapter menu, allowing players to rewind or fast-forward through the game at will.
« Last Edit: Friday, July 04, 2008, 08:51:15 PM by MysterD »

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
Re: Atari might leave the OFFLINE Single Player Gaming Market
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday, May 27, 2008, 05:50:47 PM »
A company that struggles to stay solvent is now the guru of future game trends?

Recently they were spouting off about forced hardware encryption in future PC games.  I wonder how many other ways to piss off their user base they can survive.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday, May 27, 2008, 06:22:45 PM »
I think Harrison must have gone a little crazy after leaving Sony.

天才的な閃きと平均以下のテクニックやな。 課長有野

Offline scottws

• Gold Member
    • Facebook Me
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday, May 27, 2008, 07:09:25 PM »

Recently they were spouting off about forced hardware encryption in future PC games.  I wonder how many other ways to piss off their user base they can survive.
Next they'll start advertising on gravestones or some wacky shit like Acclaim did.

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday, May 27, 2008, 07:50:40 PM »
I think this all once again leads back to piracy.  Well, that and opening up long-term revenue streams.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday, May 27, 2008, 08:25:03 PM »

Yeah, I mentioned Bushnell's comment in this thread on Piracy about the encryption chip, if anyone missed it...

You're right, Cobra. Whatever these publishers keep coming up w/ -- Atari w/ the encryption chip and publishers (EA, Take 2 Interactive) opting for Securom Net Edition -- they just keep coming up w/ more and more things that can try to drive PC gaming even further into the ground.

As long as companies like Stardock exist w/ games lacking DRM, PC gaming ain't dying.

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday, May 27, 2008, 10:32:36 PM »
But lets not kid ourselves here, profitability must be a pretty big issue if so many developers are resorting to shitty shitty desperation moves. The reasons don't really matter, but if someone doesn't come up with a viable solution, consoles are going to continue to over shadow the PC until all we have left are FPS games and the occasional RTS.....wait, shit.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #7 on: Saturday, May 31, 2008, 05:55:30 AM »
But lets not kid ourselves here, profitability must be a pretty big issue if so many developers are resorting to shitty shitty desperation moves. The reasons don't really matter, but if someone doesn't come up with a viable solution, consoles are going to continue to over shadow the PC until all we have left are FPS games and the occasional RTS.....wait, shit.
Oh, and the MMO.

Offline Ghandi

• HAMS
« Reply #8 on: Saturday, May 31, 2008, 11:02:21 AM »
I think this all once again leads back to piracy.  Well, that and opening up long-term revenue streams.

And hookers. They have to take their lines off the ass of someone.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
Re: Alone in the Dark 2008 PC to use Securom for Activation WITH Revokes
« Reply #10 on: Thursday, June 26, 2008, 02:11:04 PM »
PC Reviews of Alone in the Dark
6 from VideoGamer (out of 10)

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #11 on: Thursday, June 26, 2008, 06:48:06 PM »
I predict complete failure.  Nobody gives a shit about the franchise, so even if the game was awesome, who's going to be there to care?

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #12 on: Thursday, June 26, 2008, 07:10:43 PM »
I predict complete failure.  Nobody gives a shit about the franchise, so even if the game was awesome, who's going to be there to care?

It's not like Atari's had a major advertisement/marketing campaign to push this thing, either.
The DRM isn't going to help the PC version's cause, either.

If it didn't sell well, say at least the game turned out awesome -- well, at least there'd be an awesome cult-classic game for the gamers to go find.

Some of very good games just didn't sell well, but I'd glad the game was awesome and some publisher green-lighted that game -- see Psychonauts, Arcanum, Planescape: Torment and Vamp: Bloodlines, for example.

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #13 on: Thursday, June 26, 2008, 07:35:01 PM »
Damn it, I thought it looked pretty awesome personally.  I guess I'll wait until it's on sale for some change.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #14 on: Thursday, June 26, 2008, 08:53:26 PM »
The game doesn't seem too horrible.  Sounds like a decent game plagued with unfortunate design elements that make it more frustrating than it needs to be.  Which is, let's face it, a lot of games.  If the good stuff is good enough, I could probably get beyond the bad.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #15 on: Friday, June 27, 2008, 01:37:45 PM »
I was -- and still am, actually -- looking forward to this one, once it gets cheaper and all.

Despite the design issues stuff, it does look like it could still be a decent ride.

I really don't want to deal w/ Securom. At least it has revokes, though -- unlike Mass Effect PC (currently).

Hopefully, Atari will eventually do what Bioshock did -- pull the revokes out, at a later date; which probably would be when the sales of the game have died down and when the game is universally cheaper (like $20 everywhere).

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #16 on: Friday, June 27, 2008, 02:05:42 PM »
probably would be when the sales of the game have died down

No problem then.  It should already have happened before it was even released.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #17 on: Friday, June 27, 2008, 04:17:21 PM »
No problem then.  It should already have happened before it was even released.

From the 3rd parties (hackers), yes.
And if it hasn't, it will.

But, one could make a point the protection should already have been cracked by the 1st party (Atari themselves) anyways -- b/c using such protections is enough to piss off legit PC-game buyers.

One could make a point they should've never used this protection, in the first place...

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
Re: Alone in the Dark 2008 Thread
« Reply #19 on: Saturday, July 05, 2008, 01:33:35 AM »
Wow, all over the map.  I'm still interested but this is one case where I'd really like to try a demo first.

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #20 on: Saturday, July 05, 2008, 09:49:55 AM »
I think most of those scores (the higher ones) were revised after Atari went review-hunting. Apparently they were pretty miffed about the low scores and sent out notices to remove the "bad" reviews. I think they're actually in a legal battle with German mag claiming they reviewed the game based on a leaked/pirated copy.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #21 on: Saturday, July 05, 2008, 11:25:48 AM »
I think most of those scores (the higher ones) were revised after Atari went review-hunting. Apparently they were pretty miffed about the low scores and sent out notices to remove the "bad" reviews.
Oh, that's crap.
If a reviewer don't like their game, then too bad. :P
Deal with it, Atari.

I think they're actually in a legal battle with German mag claiming they reviewed the game based on a leaked/pirated copy.
No game should be reviewed if it's in Beta or a leaked/pirated copy.
It should be a legit copy of the game, which would be Version 1.0 of the game (or higher).

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #22 on: Saturday, July 05, 2008, 01:03:29 PM »
What  I read on this gave me the impression that a review came out like immediately after the game shipped, meaning either they didn't actually play the whole thing or they reviewed a pre-release version. Atari jumped all over that. Furthermore, many stores broke the street date, getting the game in more reviewers hands before the actual game was 'released' and Atari threatened them all as well. 

But it really is all over the board, especially the ign/gamespot which is usually pretty close.

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #23 on: Saturday, July 05, 2008, 02:27:11 PM »
I've heard all sorts of things about the game but two things seem to be consistent among the reviewers:

1) The controls, specifically combat & driving, are shite!
2) The graphics are pretty good.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #24 on: Sunday, July 06, 2008, 06:19:28 AM »
I've heard all sorts of things about the game but two things seem to be consistent among the reviewers:

1) The controls, specifically combat & driving, are shite!
2) The graphics are pretty good.

Yeah, that's basically the consensus from all the  reviews, pretty much.

I think that means Eden needs to patch this thing and fix the driving, combat, and the wonky controls. :P

Offline MysterD

• Forum god

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #26 on: Sunday, August 17, 2008, 01:53:11 PM »
SpoonyOne gives his long rant on how bad AITD 2008 is.
You gotta' hear and watch this.

Makes me just wanna get the game to see if it really is THAT bad on the PC, when it hits like $10 or less.

Part 1 -- 9 mins 38 secs
Part 2 -- 9 mins 55 secs

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #27 on: Sunday, August 17, 2008, 11:42:21 PM »
Who the fuck?!

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #28 on: Monday, August 18, 2008, 08:14:23 AM »
It was mildly entertaining :D

If the game is as SpoonyOne described then it is something I'd much rather avoid.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #29 on: Monday, August 18, 2008, 02:17:36 PM »
I think it's a much more vicious review (for the most part) compared to what the critics have said.
But, yeah -- sounds like a train wreck.

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #30 on: Monday, August 18, 2008, 02:28:08 PM »
This one was the groundbreaker.  No attempt at a sequel or remake since has impressed me.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #31 on: Monday, August 18, 2008, 05:01:23 PM »
Supposedly the game actually had a few brilliant moments, they were just completely outweighed by the bad parts.  Though some seem to hate it a good deal less than others.  I think it would have at least been a passable game if it'd spent a little more time in the cooker.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #32 on: Monday, August 18, 2008, 06:24:31 PM »
Supposedly the game actually had a few brilliant moments, they were just completely outweighed by the bad parts.  Though some seem to hate it a good deal less than others.  I think it would have at least been a passable game if it'd spent a little more time in the cooker.

You know, sometimes I wonder about these dev's and/or publishers, just pushing their game in (basically Alpha or Beta states) too far ahead of time, sometimes. You know, I look at how BP turned out w/ Patch 2.0, and I wonder how this game would've fared if that version is how BP was originally released, right out the box -- at least I can say, "This game is not broken." It's no STALKER, but still -- it's good.

I still look at Gothic 3, which seems to have a good game buried underneath it all, but even after its latest Community Patch, still with its stuttering issues and long loads -- and I can't put up with them; Still. And that's a goddamn shame.

I'm sure that the DVD-style fast-forward feature must be great in AITD 2008, when things might happen to say...get dull. The whole tree-ramming thing for 2 hours that dude in the video mentioned sounds like.....zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz....Okay, sorry...I'm awake now...

You know, I do like the sound of the inventory and being able to combine -- well, just about -- anything together into some sort of weapon.

Though, from the sound of things, an option to pause the game when manipulating the inventory or something might've been a good idea -- at least have that as an option for any "easier" difficulties in the game (if there are any). Maybe the most hardcore difficulty, not allow pausing. Hell, I dunno...

Say if the game has any Achievements, make a special Achievement for "No Using Pause When Manipulating The Inventory" or something -- hell, I dunno!

But, if the gameplay and physics are really that bad w/ the vehicles, they can do what Boiling Point did -- rework the game engine and release a patch to fix the physics. I don't know how the physics in BP were BEFORE the 2.0 patch, but they sure were fine after it -- as I bought BP damn cheap and that patch 2.0 was already out.

Yeah -- if Eden Games wants to save any face for this game, after the severe backlash it has pretty much gotten, a patch to fix issues galore might be a good start -- even if the game never sells another copy. And even if it's already too late, since it won't to fix a broken game when say Eden comes up with another game; at least gamers can say, "Well, at least they will actually support their own games with patches for their fans -- I'll buy their game, when it's patched" instead of saying "I ain't buying a game from them; they don't fix their own broken games."

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #33 on: Tuesday, August 19, 2008, 12:04:54 AM »
At first I was like "who the fuck is this guy?!" and then I was all like "why the fuck is he reviewing this?  This shit got all shot up to hell at least a month ago - there's nothing new to say". Finally, I was all like "Holy shit! Kids with greasy hair still wear it in that stupid style the guy in front of me in Bio 11 did!!".

Let me tell you; EMOTIONAL ROLLER COASTER

Offline PyroMenace

« Reply #34 on: Tuesday, August 19, 2008, 12:07:31 AM »
Wait... so who is he?

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #35 on: Tuesday, August 19, 2008, 12:52:14 AM »
I don't know...some youtube douche?

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #36 on: Thursday, September 04, 2008, 06:29:14 PM »
So, I've been playing this one -- and yes, I do like it, despite some complaints.

First off, the KB/mouse is....eh. This game's meant for a gamepad -- I'm using the X360 gamepad. No gamepad, dunno' why you'd wanna play this one on the KB/mouse. It's just very awkward w/ the KB/mouse -- b/c we're used to using the mouse for camera; and the mouse don't control that. Mouse controls the direction you swing -- and that's just weird b/c the cam doesn't move along w/ you.

Plus, the game feels like a cross b/t in gameplay Silent Hill (survival horror) and PoP (platforming elements and jumping elements). That is basically when the game is at its best and shines really good.

Basically, you don't use a button to swing a weapon you equip in this game. With a KB/mouse, that's the mouse's job. With the gamepad, you use the right analog stick -- and you swing an equipped weapon moving that. Likely, you'll hit the button to lock onto an enemy and then just quickly move the analog stick whatever way you want to swing. You can move while swinging, but that's awkward -- and really no need to that. You're best off locking on, standing still, swing/fire. It does have bit of a curve to learn, but I have gotten used to it.

The Inventory is design quite cool -- but yeah, it'd really benefit (especially for new players to the game who ain't used to the controls and whatnot) where the game itself pauses entirely when you go in there, since it isn't instant that you can manipulate the Inventory without getting pounded.

The car level I'm on now is ridiculously tough. You basically make one bad turn or hit an object, level's over. This feels like this level is like the stealth ones in BG&E, where the game's challenge went from not-so-hard to ridiculously hard b/c you have to be perfect to make it through. Also, the physics for the car ain't very good, either -- barely tapping the pad basically turns the car way too easy. This level keeps it up, I'm gonna use the DVD skipping feature and move onto the next level.

The story (so far), presentation values, voice-acting, and music are all pretty good.

EDIT:
I made it through that tough-as-nails driving level - Ep 2, Part 5. Yay.
« Last Edit: Thursday, September 04, 2008, 07:19:13 PM by MysterD »

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #37 on: Sunday, September 14, 2008, 04:25:05 PM »
Eden Games is working on the PS3 version of AITD 2008, which adds news content to the game AND fixes a bunch of issues from earlier version of the game (PC and X360).

Eden did plan to bring these fixes to X360 in a patch, but they've ran into some issues with releasing it as DLC b/c Microsoft don't like its possible patch size.

Hmmm...Maybe there will be a patch X360 version re-released in stores? I dunno.

It's unknown if the PC version will get the fixes; I hope so. It's probably more likely to happen than say the X360 version of the game, since Eden and Atari could release a PC patch on their own, regardless of its size.

Eden 'can't promise' PS3 Alone in the Dark fixes for 360

30 Comments by Randy Nelson Sep 12th 2008 9:00PM
Filed under: Sony PlayStation 3, Microsoft Xbox 360, Action, Adventure

Remember all those new features Eden is working into the PS3 release of Alone in the Dark? Oh, or how, upon announcing them, the developer also said they'd be arriving as a patch for the Xbox 360 version? Now the tune has hit a sour note, according to MTV Multiplayer.

Game designer Emile Morel says that Eden is, "Trying to do a patch," but that "it's technically complicated," saying that, if anything, the control and camera fixes will be implemented; don't expect the new subway chase sequence in the PS3 release to show up.

There's evidently also an issue with the actual estimated size of the patch not sitting too well with Microsoft.

So now it's not only a case of if the patch will happen but when. Morel says that the decision to patch or not to patch might actually depend on the success of the PS3 version, and that the team probably won't get around to working on it until the release for Sony's machine goes gold.

« Last Edit: Sunday, September 14, 2008, 04:50:44 PM by MysterD »

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #38 on: Monday, September 15, 2008, 02:46:01 PM »
Oh God, they're gonna implement the SIXAXIS motion sensing into the melee combat, aren't they? I hope not.

If there's an option to make a patch that fixes the game on the 360 Microsoft should allow it. If it's particularly huge (like a total overhaul) then they should implement it in a new package and provide it free for anyone who owns the game; just like The Witcher: Enhanced.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #39 on: Monday, September 15, 2008, 05:04:08 PM »
If there's an option to make a patch that fixes the game on the 360 Microsoft should allow it. If it's particularly huge (like a total overhaul) then they should implement it in a new package and provide it free for anyone who owns the game; just like The Witcher: Enhanced.
Amen to that.