Author Topic: Alan Wake -> Update: AW leaving Steam + GOG w/ 90% off sale (Reply 189)  (Read 53149 times)

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
Re: Alan Wake = Windows VISTA & X360 Exclusive
« Reply #1 on: Monday, October 09, 2006, 07:06:22 PM »
Man, Microsoft can suck my balls.

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #2 on: Monday, October 09, 2006, 07:13:36 PM »
So can Electronic Arts. EA can suck your balls too.

Also at the price Vista is coming at, I am definitely going to be looking to acquire it. I hope it dual boots ok.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
  • OWNet 4 Eternity & Beyond
« Reply #3 on: Monday, October 09, 2006, 07:15:01 PM »
Man, Microsoft can suck my balls.

Looks like many gamers on the PC will probably be looking for Alan Wake in the future, probably somewhere in the "Bargain Bin" sitting next to Halo 2.

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #4 on: Monday, October 09, 2006, 07:25:20 PM »
To give credit where its do, Alan Wake looks good, interesting, and is smewhat unique. Halo 2 is shovelware.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #5 on: Monday, October 09, 2006, 07:31:20 PM »
To give credit where its do, Alan Wake looks good, interesting, and is smewhat unique.
Agreed.

I think it would sell a hell of a lot more copies if it was for BOTH Windows XP and Vista, myself.

Halo 2 is shovelware.
Agreed.

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #6 on: Monday, October 09, 2006, 07:40:57 PM »
To give credit where its do, Alan Wake looks good, interesting, and is smewhat unique. Halo 2 is shovelware.

You! How dare you say something complimentary about something associated with Microsoft! It is just not done on these boards!

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #7 on: Monday, October 09, 2006, 07:43:21 PM »
You! How dare you say something complimentary about something associated with Microsoft! It is just not done on these boards!

Well, it is true that calling Halo 2 "shovelware" is a compliment, compared to what it probably should be called.... :P

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #8 on: Monday, October 09, 2006, 07:45:27 PM »
He meant my compliment of Alan Wake. Which is Remedy, not MS really. Those cats did Max Payne...I mean, come on.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #9 on: Monday, October 09, 2006, 07:46:40 PM »
He meant my compliment of Alan Wake.
I know what he meant.

Which is Remedy, not MS really. Those cats did Max Payne...I mean, come on.
Max Payne 1 and 2 were great.

I wonder what is to happen w/ Max Payne 3, since Take 2 owns the IP now...

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #10 on: Monday, October 09, 2006, 07:53:09 PM »
Yeah, Alan Wake does look cool, but not cool enough for this.  I'm almost wondering if MS is doing this shit in order to destroy PC gaming and make people buy more games for the 360.  That wouldn't surprise me at all.  Stupid fucks.

天才的な閃きと平均以下のテクニックやな。 課長有野

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #11 on: Monday, October 09, 2006, 07:56:03 PM »
Yeah, Alan Wake does look cool, but not cool enough for this.
I wouldn't be complaining, if Alan Wake was planned for both Vista and XP -- which it should be.

It is WAY too early to have Vista ONLY games, especially since Vista ain't even been out EVEN! Usually, it takes a good while before games begin to be OS exclusive. It was only recently that we been seeing Win XP Only games.

I'm almost wondering if MS is doing this shit in order to destroy PC gaming and make people buy more games for the 360.  That wouldn't surprise me at all.  Stupid fucks.
I wouldn't be surprised on that one, myself.

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #12 on: Monday, October 09, 2006, 08:01:45 PM »
He meant my compliment of Alan Wake. Which is Remedy, not MS really. Those cats did Max Payne...I mean, come on.

I know, but they are associated with MS after making their game a DX10 exclusive.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #13 on: Monday, October 09, 2006, 08:11:05 PM »
MyD raises a good point.  Did Windows 2000 and XP and such suddenly become exactly what you needed to play even when Win98 wasn't the standard?  No.  For *years* there were games that would play on 98.  XP took *ages* to become "essential."  And the whole DX10 thing is just bullshit, which it has been from the beginning.

My hope is that somebody will hack the shit and get it running on XP.

Offline Jedi

• Poster Child
« Reply #14 on: Monday, October 09, 2006, 08:59:28 PM »
Your right, when I think back now to when I first noticed that games no longer supported Win95 was around the time MS stopped supported Win95 - that to me makes a lot of sense.

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #15 on: Monday, October 09, 2006, 09:33:36 PM »
That's perfectly acceptable.. I think MS officially stopped supporting Windows 98 sometime last year (or was it 2004?). Either way it had a good run. Now Microsoft is trying to kill off XP just to force people to buy Vista! That's bullshit!

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #16 on: Monday, October 09, 2006, 10:41:35 PM »
What the fuck?  You know, you'd think now that apple dual boots (or does whatever Parallels does) almost perfectly you'd think microsoft would want to try to keep people in their camp.  Shit like this is just going to scare people off.  Sure, I lay down the money for vista now, but then 4 years down the road the same thing happens and I have to buy a whole new O/S on release so I can play games again.  It's almost like they want to piss people off enough to find ways around their draconian 'lock down' anti-piracy methods they're implimenting in vista.

Offline angrykeebler

• Veteran
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday, October 10, 2006, 07:29:58 AM »
I thought Halo 2 was an outstanding game and greatly enjoyed my time with it..and i didnt even play much of the multi-player

QQ more imo
Suck it, Pugnate.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #18 on: Tuesday, October 10, 2006, 01:53:23 PM »
MyD raises a good point.  Did Windows 2000 and XP and such suddenly become exactly what you needed to play even when Win98 wasn't the standard?  No.  For *years* there were games that would play on 98.
Even the last few years, games were basically supporting Win XP & Win 2000.

Quote from: Que
XP took *ages* to become "essential."  And the whole DX10 thing is just bullshit, which it has been from the beginning.
Just recently, w/ games like Fable (MS published), Dungeon Siege 2 (MS published), and Oblivion, have we began seeing games support ONLY Windows XP. And that was b/c pretty much most people have either upgraded to XP or bought a PC that comes w/ XP loaded into it. I mean, XP has been around for about a good 5 years or so now, so I can understand games now being XP only.

Quote from: Que
My hope is that somebody will hack the shit and get it running on XP.
I wouldn't be surprised, if that happens and all, myself.

Quote from: Jedi
Your right, when I think back now to when I first noticed that games no longer supported Win95 was around the time MS stopped supported Win95 - that to me makes a lot of sense.
Even when Windows 95 first came out, most games support both MS-DOS and Win 95. Not until around when Win 98 was near release, did we begin seeing games support only Win 95.

Quote from: Xessive
That's perfectly acceptable.. I think MS officially stopped supporting Windows 98 sometime last year (or was it 2004?). Either way it had a good run. Now Microsoft is trying to kill off XP just to force people to buy Vista! That's bullshit!
I think 2004 was one of the last years we saw games supporting Win 98 still -- some games like Sacred and Vamp: Bloodlines, which supported Win XP, Win 2000, and Win 98 SE come to my mind.

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #19 on: Tuesday, October 10, 2006, 09:31:38 PM »
I thought Halo 2 was an outstanding game and greatly enjoyed my time with it..and i didnt even play much of the multi-player

QQ more imo

I concur.  It was a fun game.

Offline Ghandi

• HAMS
« Reply #20 on: Tuesday, October 10, 2006, 09:38:07 PM »

The single player was great. The multi-player was bad compared to the original- they aren't even in the same league.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #21 on: Tuesday, October 10, 2006, 09:44:39 PM »
Fun if you like shovelware.

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #22 on: Tuesday, October 10, 2006, 09:49:07 PM »
Halo 2 might be a fine game for...some people. But its an Xbox game. DirectX 8. It was crazy when they ported the original to PC requiring DX9 and it didnt look any better (it also ran like crap). Its insane they are making Halo 2 DX10 and the only way to get that is to buy Vista. Plus there is little to no graphical upgrade to warrent this change...just like the original.

MS hates PC gamers, and Halo proves it.

Offline Ghandi

• HAMS
« Reply #23 on: Tuesday, October 10, 2006, 09:54:40 PM »
God, purchasing Halo 1 for the pc was the worst waste of money ever. It ran like crap, and to top if off everyone that played it was horrible. I guess it goes to show that only idiots (myself included) would buy it.

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #24 on: Wednesday, October 11, 2006, 01:58:30 AM »
There were worse investments.. I bought Daikatana.

It's a shame Halo PC didn't turn out the way we all hoped it would.

Offline scottws

• Gold Member
    • Facebook Me
« Reply #25 on: Wednesday, October 11, 2006, 05:34:48 AM »
A lot of Halo PC's problems are just related to Gearbox's ineptitude.  But yeah, it didn't seem like MS was all that interested in making Halo PC a top-notch product whatsoever.

Offline PyroMenace

« Reply #26 on: Wednesday, October 11, 2006, 08:51:51 AM »
I say good riddance, let the idiots who make their games Vista exclusive lose market interest because I honestly dont see that many people buying in to Vista.

Offline scottws

• Gold Member
    • Facebook Me
« Reply #27 on: Wednesday, October 11, 2006, 11:11:55 AM »
Nope.

I'm sure eventually Vista will be fairly pervasive because it will replace XP as the OS pre-installed on computers at some point.  But that time isn't anywhere near.  As D said, Vista hasn't even been released yet!

Either this Alan Wake game is a long ways off, or they can plan on selling like 5 PC copies.

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #28 on: Wednesday, October 11, 2006, 12:49:15 PM »
$400 for an OS is just stupid. I mean why not get get a nice hardware upgrade or something. I will definitely  be acquiring this one, and hopefully doing a dual boot.

Of course my past experiences with dual booting have been nothing short of horrible. Want to uninstall one OS? Well you may end up losing both.

So let's get the facts straight. In order to enjoy direct x 10:

$550 on a Dx10 vid card (which will be a $250 upgrade for me having sold my 7800GTX)
$50 on a Dx10 game like Alan Wake.
$400 for the only copy of VISTA that is worth buying.

Ummm... no thanks.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #29 on: Wednesday, October 11, 2006, 01:56:42 PM »
Nope.

I'm sure eventually Vista will be fairly pervasive because it will replace XP as the OS pre-installed on computers at some point.  But that time isn't anywhere near.
I agree w/ this 100%. There will be a time when we all will adopt Vista, I bet -- but, it ain't now, before the thing's released! Microsoft is trying to go that route, w/out us even having the final product available to the public yet!!! (All that's out is Betas, right now....)

I'm sure the reasons to switch immediately from say DOS to Windows made sense b/c it was such a major change, but switching from Win XP to Win Vista is NOT a big enough jump. Also, I'm sure the reasons to switch immediately from say floppy to CD-ROM made sense b/c it was such a major change, but switching from Win XP to Vista is NOT a big enough jump.

I see the switch of Win XP to Vista about the same as someone switching from DVD to HD-DVD or from DVD to Blu-Ray: no big deal yet. It's not like the jump from DVD to either Blu-Ray or HD-DVD is such a huge one it's worth taking. Now, I can understand the immediate switch from say VHS to DVD; major change right there, to say the very least.

As D said, Vista hasn't even been released yet!
Exactly! They are trying to make us switch w/out us even having the product out yet!

Either this Alan Wake game is a long ways off, or they can plan on selling like 5 PC copies.
Probably due out early next year, I'd guess.

That's a guess, since it has been stated as "When it's done" by Remedy, pretty much.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #30 on: Monday, December 04, 2006, 03:03:39 PM »
It's possible that Alan Wake not even make 2007, actually...

Alan Wake Fears 2008

There have been a few reports on the internet this morning which suggests Alan Wake will be released in 2008. We aren’t sure if this will turn out to be true but it’s likely as the US Official Xbox Magazine seems confident about it.

“Alan Wake” is a psychological action thriller from Remedy, the legendary and renowned developers of highly successful action titles. In this exciting new title exclusively for Windows and Xbox 360, gamers assume the role of Alan Wake, a best-selling suspense author who escapes to a small town to recover from the mysterious disappearance of his fiancée.

Set in the deceptively idyllic town of Bright Falls, Wash., “Alan Wake” immerses players in an intense and expansive cinematic world that enables players to roam freely in hyper-realistic, dynamic and interactive environments. “Alan Wake” is mission-based with a deeply engaging and suspenseful story line unveiling new twists and profound character revelations at every turn. Players will unravel the riveting plot through multilayered character interactions, unique problem-solving and intense combat against terrifying enemies. In this nightmarish world, Alan Wake must use a variety of weapons to survive, including his most powerful ally against the creatures of darkness — light itself.

Many people have been waiting for news on Alan Wake for sometime, I don’t think this was the news many people wanted but it could be worse. We’ll keep you informed on this, like I’ve said, it’s likely to become reality that this game does get a release date of 2008.

Posted on 12/04/2006 04:29

Offline MysterD

• Forum god

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
Re: Alan Wake = Windows VISTA & X360 Exclusive might not even make 2007 at ALL!!
« Reply #32 on: Sunday, January 27, 2008, 02:50:20 PM »
Looks like we may finally here some more stuff about Alan Wake, next month at the GDC 2008.

New Alan Wake Details Next Month? [January 27, 2008, 12:25 pm ET] - Viewing Comments

There's an Interview with Robbie Bach on Sith Gamer talking about various goings on at Microsoft concerning gaming and the Xbox 360 (thanks PCGames.de). Along the way, Robbie promises some they are saving some "stuff" fir next month's Game Developers Conference, where they will be showing off Alan Wake, Remedy's upcoming psychological action thriller: "Well were saving a lot of stuff for GDC, which is where we plan on showing off some big titles such as Halo Wars and Alan Wake."

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #33 on: Sunday, October 05, 2008, 03:54:47 PM »
New interview with Sam Lake of Remedy

1UP: Can you talk about the themes of the game and more about the television show/DVD box set inspired story-telling? How is this evident in the actual game?

SL: The game is a psychological action thriller, and as such, everything revolves around the mind of the main character -- the things that lurk in the depths of his subconscious mind. How an artist transports what's inside him, in this case his fears, to the outside world through his art. Themes that many writers have explored -- Stephen King for one, Paul Auster, Bret Easton Ellis, and so on.

SL: We think of Alan Wake as Alan Wake season one; the game is the DVD box of a season of a television series turned into a videogame. The experience is divided into episodes with cliffhanger endings and there is a supporting cast of characters around Wake himself.
This sounds like the style in which AITD 2008 was made in.

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #34 on: Sunday, October 05, 2008, 03:58:51 PM »
Seems funky.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #35 on: Sunday, October 05, 2008, 03:59:37 PM »
Cool screenie from 1Up.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #36 on: Sunday, October 05, 2008, 04:34:21 PM »
Long interview w/ Sam Lake of Remedy from Pelaaja, which is NOT in English.

But...
Though, thankfully, someone has translated it into English for us.

Pelaaja: So how much voice-work has been done already?

Sam Lake: Well it’s done along the way in many different segments, so that we keep clearly up to date and have a good picture of what material we got together

Pelaaja: If we would jump back to Max Payne 2, Rockstar games worked closely with you there, what was that like? Cos those guys are very much interested in the “vibe” and story. Could you perhaps elaborate a bit about that.

Sam Lake: well yeah, well I have to say that in a lot of ways they trusted in us and we had pretty much creative freedom to develop all sorts of stuff. Of Course they were interested but in a way I remember that they were just “digging” the stuff that was created. Felt very good to work together with those guys, and in reality we worked pretty much with the same guys already when making Max1, for example Navid Consar (Not sure if this is how the name I spelled) who directed our voice overs and worked closely with us on the casting and also directed motion-capture stunts for max2.

Pelaaja: If I recall correctly he had the same jobs for all GTA games up to San Andreas

Sam Lake: Yup, he’s got his own company nowadays doing freelance work and he’s doing the voice-overs for Alan Wake as well.

Pelaaja: Alright, it’s good to know that the co-operation has worked…

Sam Lake: Yeah it’s worked really well, it’s “synced” really well with Navid, in a way, he understands very quickly what we’re looking for and what we want.

Pelaaja: Professional guy…

Sam Lake: Yeah definitely.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #37 on: Tuesday, October 21, 2008, 01:41:39 PM »

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
Re: Alan Wake THREAD -- Update: New trailer added
« Reply #38 on: Tuesday, October 21, 2008, 04:53:55 PM »
Shit, looks like I might have to get vista on my gaming PC.  Well that or....

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
Re: Alan Wake THREAD -- Update: New trailer added
« Reply #39 on: Tuesday, October 21, 2008, 08:10:41 PM »
I'll definitely look forward to this one on my next gaming rig -- which'll probably be Vista-equipped or Windows Seven equipped.