Author Topic: BLACK update  (Read 2220 times)

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
BLACK update
« on: Sunday, July 29, 2007, 05:08:56 PM »
I know that only a few people here actually care, but a couple have asked, so I figured I'd just make a thread.

Work on BLACK is going well.  Since "finishing" Nanowrimo 2006 last November with 50k words of manuscript, I've gotten myself up to around 75k.  I've spent a great deal of time editing what I had previously written, not to mention fleshing out parts of the overall outline that were lacking somewhat, and then of course in the writing process I had to make many concessions for changes that came up.

So as it stands, I'd say I've got about 3 quarters of the book finished.  It's turning out to be a lengthier endeavor than I'd imagined, as you may be able to tell just from the word counts, so I'm not sure whether or not that's going to mean a thicker novel or that more cuts will have to be made.  I'm completely at a loss at this point as to whether or not the cohesive whole of the project makes any sense, and I don't think I'm going to know that until I start getting some opinions on a near-final manuscript.  If any of you guys are interested in helping me with that at some point, do let me know.

So progress is happening.  I'm really working on trying to get a complete rough manuscript done by the beginning of November so that I can participate in Nanowrimo again.  If I don't have this one finished I don't think I'm going to feel like starting work on another, you know?  Even though I've got a few outlines for other work already lined up (and a significant chunk of work actually done on two other novels set in the same general universe).

Anyway, there you have it.  Lastly, I'll point folks to this thread, because I've been working on some music sort of inspired by my general feelings for the atmosphere of the book and stuff.  And no, it isn't metal.    :-[  Maybe I'll release a soundtrack to the book along with the book.  That'd be pretty sweet, eh?  I really need to make a new trailer at some point too, but I'm bad at it and that was too much fucking work.  Arg.

天才的な閃きと平均以下のテクニックやな。 課長有野

Offline Raisa

• Veteran
Re: BLACK update
« Reply #1 on: Sunday, July 29, 2007, 05:15:36 PM »
damn.. at least someone's being productive!!!  I'm planning a book too but it's just all in my head.. it hasn't gotten anywhere yet.

Taken.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
  • OWNet 4 Eternity & Beyond
« Reply #2 on: Sunday, July 29, 2007, 05:39:04 PM »
Books having trailers.....too cool.
I like the trailer, the music, and your voice-over work in there, Que.

The trailer and soundtrack should come w/ the book in some sort of BLACK: Special Edition! :)

So, have you started looked for publishers for it or anything???

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #3 on: Sunday, July 29, 2007, 06:17:51 PM »
Kind of hard to do without A) an agent or B) a working manuscript or C) any prior published fiction.  So... no, not really.  I have no idea what's going to happen there.

Offline TheOtherBelmont

• Post-aholic
« Reply #4 on: Monday, July 30, 2007, 12:34:54 AM »
It's good to hear progress is being made, I'm confident you'll get it finished into something you and other people will enjoy reading.  I highly enjoyed the last little bit you let me read, last year I think.  If you ever need someone to look it over, I'll be more than happy to do so, I could probably get one or two of my friends to read it over as well.  One of my friends liked the little bit you let me read that one time.

Offline Ghandi

• HAMS
« Reply #5 on: Monday, July 30, 2007, 12:34:59 PM »
Nice, it's good to hear that things are progressing. I'm willing to look it over as well whenever you are finished (or before) if you need someone to.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #6 on: Monday, July 30, 2007, 07:10:35 PM »
Thanks guys.  The more I edit, the less confident I am about certain areas that I feel are just dragging too much.  Some opinions will be super awesome when I get the thing looking like something other than muck.   :-[  So you guys are awesome.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #7 on: Sunday, August 05, 2007, 02:45:56 PM »
Kind of hard to do without A) an agent or B) a working manuscript or C) any prior published fiction.  So... no, not really.  I have no idea what's going to happen there.
I wish you the best w/ finishing your work and actually getting it published.

Que, out of curiosity -- what program did you use to do the cool trailer in?

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #8 on: Sunday, August 05, 2007, 03:25:43 PM »
It's just Flash, which I have since determined to be the most useful and backwards thing ever developed by anybody.  How the fuck it got popular I can't even imagine.  The simplest thing requires the most illogical processes to make happen.  Making the trailer was sort of like getting paid to let someone kick you in the head.  Sure, you may get the end goal at the end of the day, but by then you're probably wondering what possessed you to try it.

Offline Ghandi

• HAMS
« Reply #9 on: Sunday, August 05, 2007, 06:58:18 PM »
Yeah, that was pretty much my experience with Flash as well. I was slamming my head on my keyboard after a few hours of messing with it. Luckily I got it on "sale". Yeahhh...

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #10 on: Sunday, August 05, 2007, 08:09:17 PM »
It's just Flash, which I have since determined to be the most useful and backwards thing ever developed by anybody.  How the fuck it got popular I can't even imagine.  The simplest thing requires the most illogical processes to make happen.  Making the trailer was sort of like getting paid to let someone kick you in the head.  Sure, you may get the end goal at the end of the day, but by then you're probably wondering what possessed you to try it.
So, why the hell do so many websites use Flash, if it's such a pain-in-the-ass to create with???

Is it free or something???

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #11 on: Monday, August 06, 2007, 10:21:50 PM »
So I think I finally finalized the first chapter, or at least as far as the current version of the manuscript goes.  I was having a lot of trouble pacing the beginning, and I think I finally managed to get the ball rolling quickly enough now while keeping most of the essential backstory intact.  It took some doing, but I think it works.  But jeebus did that take some work.

Now I don't know what to do with it.  I want to know if it really works, but I keep telling myself not to release any material until I have the full manuscript done and I can get somebody to read it cover to cover.

DAMN YOU, NOVEL WRITING!

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday, August 08, 2007, 03:13:40 PM »
So I think I finally finalized the first chapter, or at least as far as the current version of the manuscript goes.  I was having a lot of trouble pacing the beginning, and I think I finally managed to get the ball rolling quickly enough now while keeping most of the essential backstory intact.  It took some doing, but I think it works.  But jeebus did that take some work.
Geez, Que -- you been more active w/ working on your novel-writing than I have!
Just keep at it -- best advice I can really give.

Now I don't know what to do with it.  I want to know if it really works, but I keep telling myself not to release any material until I have the full manuscript done and I can get somebody to read it cover to cover.

DAMN YOU, NOVEL WRITING!
Good luck w/ it, Que.

I'd love to get something done w/ my novels -- like say get an agent, get the story published, and all of that good stuff. Just, I dunno where to begin...