Community > General Discussion

I may be homeless soon + personal update (update: I now have an apt!)

<< < (3/11) > >>

Quemaqua:
30 days is a good chunk of time. That's great.

What a post, man. I feel for all you've been going through, but I'm really glad you've started to find some idea of what's going to help you. I struggled with a lot of anger problems and stress in my life too, for years ... stuff that really held me back. It was a regular meditation practice that ended up being the thing for me. There's really nothing like finding something that seems to be working, right?

Wish you luck for sure. If you do live out of a car for a while, make sure to get lots and lots of blankets and stuff for the cold winter months. I've never lived out of a car, but I've spent some extended time in them, and they get super cold. It sounds like even if the worst happens and you're on the street, at least you've got some resources and fallback for the time being. Really hope you can manage the disability.

Good luck either way, and keep us updated. Will be keeping my fingers crossed for you.

gpw11:
How are things now, my man?

Cool_Gamer1:
Damn man, sorry to hear that - seems just like yesterday we were playing games online together (and looking back, that's now 2002).

How are things?

W7RE:
Sorry for not keeping up with this thread, but things have been a little difficult lately.

I've been living out of my van for 42 days now. I park at my mom's place, but there's no room for me inside. I store food in her fridge and can use her bathroom, but otherwise I'm outside in the van. I have a long extension cord I run from inside so I can have power. I've got a monitor rigged to hang from the seatbacks and I have my Xbox hooked up, and I connect to wifi with it. That does a great job of giving me something to do during downtime and maintain my sanity. The temperature has been down into the teens a few times already, which is rough. I've got my mattress in the van, and use 2 thick blankets plus a sleeping bag, and that mostly keeps me warm. I didn't have the sleeping bag at first, and that's making a big difference. My brother is still giving me money for food and gas so I can get to and from group therapy, which is twice a week.

Just this past week I got accepted for food stamps. It may only last a few months, not sure, but it's something. I'm still waiting for the card so I can use them. It took a lot of help on the part of my therapist though. She really is going above and beyond to help me out where she can. The psychiatrist had previously refused to fill out some housing paperwork for me on some dumb technicality, but the therapist got her to change her mind on it. Then she resumbitted a medical form for food stamps a couple times until it DSS finally decided I qualified. I still don't know if the housing stuff will pan out, but there's one less hurdle in the way. Disability determination services granted my hardship request as well. They usually take "several months" to get you a hearing, and notify you 75 days in advance. They got me one for the 28th of this month (2 days from now).

I at least got to spend Christmas inside somewhere. A friend from college has family about 200 miles from me, and was visiting them. He sent me some money for gas and I drove out there and spent Saturday, Sunday, and Monday with him and his dad. We played Warhammer 40k (tabletop) all weekend and went to see The Last Jedi in Imax.

Quemaqua:
Well that's rough, but at least you've got something pretty stable for now. It's great you've got some support through your therapist. And great you got to catch a break for Christmas. Hope things keep heading on an upward track for you.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version