Author Topic: Horizon: Zero Dawn  (Read 4743 times)

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
Horizon: Zero Dawn
« on: Friday, December 08, 2017, 07:31:39 PM »
I bought this with my PS4 Slim a little while ago and can't really figure out if I enjoy it or not.  It's gorgeous and the concept, premise, etc is just great but I think I'm a bit burned out on the standard open world formula.  Plus, there are mechanics that are just never explained to me and I feel like I'm just going into combat completely wrong.

Anyone have any experience with this?

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
Re: Horizon: Zero Dawn
« Reply #1 on: Sunday, December 10, 2017, 07:15:30 PM »
My understanding was it has a really strong story. I don't know anything gameplay-wise, but if you keep at it I think the story stuff is supposed to get increasingly cool.

天才的な閃きと平均以下のテクニックやな。 課長有野

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: Sunday, December 10, 2017, 09:45:44 PM »
It clicked for me and combat got a whole lot more fun.  Side missions aren't great, really but seem more varied than most of UbiSoft's open world side missions. Just not on the level of Witcher 3 where almost every one is compelling.

The combat is really good and interesting once you get more abilities, etc. Well, fighting the robot animals is great....human combat is pretty weak to be honest.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
  • OWNet 4 Eternity & Beyond
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday, March 10, 2020, 02:42:44 PM »
Horizon: Zero Dawn - Complete Edition is now listed for a Summer 2020 release on Steam:

News on Neowin:
https://www.neowin.net/news/guerrilla-games-announces-horizon-zero-dawn-is-coming-to-steam-this-summer

Guerilla Games' announcement on Twitter:
https://twitter.com/Guerrilla/status/1237395310004932610

Steam Store page for H:ZD Complete is already up:
https://store.steampowered.com/app/1151640/Horizon_Zero_Dawn_Complete_Edition/

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday, March 11, 2020, 07:02:06 PM »
Pretty rad, looking forward to trying it out.

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #5 on: Friday, March 13, 2020, 07:16:01 PM »
Absolutely amazing game.  Definitely try it out.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #6 on: Sunday, March 22, 2020, 08:14:03 AM »
Horizon: Zero Dawn PC will NOT have a FOV Slider:
https://www.vg247.com/2020/03/19/horizon-zero-dawn-pc-no-fov-slider/

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday, March 25, 2020, 04:58:24 PM »
I might have to give this a whirl when it goes on sale eventually. I think BOTW kind of took the wind out of my open-world sails for a while. I enjoyed that game a lot, but the format has grown a little weary for me.

天才的な閃きと平均以下のテクニックやな。 課長有野

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #8 on: Saturday, April 04, 2020, 02:44:10 PM »
Yeah, I think I played this and BotW back to back and had to take a break from this due to the open world overload.  Going back though, it's just an amazing game.  I went back in for the DLC and clearing some more of the main game action a little while ago and it was still great.

I will say though, that there are a lot of side quests/tasks/etc that are not worth getting into at at as they take away from the best parts of the game (hunting robot dinos and exploring).  There's a lot of variety with different types of tasks, which is great, but don't feel you need to hit all the side quests by any means.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #9 on: Friday, December 25, 2020, 08:19:55 PM »
1 hour or so into this (Horizon: Zero Dawn - Complete Edition) for the PC (GOG version), as I won it in someone's X-Mas Giveaway on GOG today.

Not gonna' be too much here, being so early into this into this - but I'll give some quick impressions.

Anyways...running here on 10700 KF, 16 GB RAM, 8GB RTX 3070, 1 TB SSD, 2 TB HDD, W10 x64. 60fps @ 1080p all maxed-out at Ultra. Looks great here.

Feels like a mix of UbiSoft open-world type of stuff; Assassin's Creed type of stealth; using bow as a weapon for shooting stuff; and some hunting/crafting mechanics (think AC3); and campfires/bonfires all over the place (think Dark Souls and Tomb Raider reboot) which is used for saving & fast-traveling.

But, first hour or so, right out the gate - the storytelling; world-building; and character stuff seems really strong here.

More to come, when I give this one more time.

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #10 on: Monday, December 28, 2020, 09:58:38 PM »
Stick with it, it's absolutely awesome.  As you get into it a bit more the typical open world stuff is really put to the side in favor of the meat of the game - taking down giant robot animals/dinos with all the tools you have at your disposal.