Author Topic: Whew...  (Read 6057 times)

Offline ender

Whew...
« on: Wednesday, March 14, 2018, 06:43:17 PM »
Rough few months. My company was bought by our competitor last week and most of us were laid off last Friday. Still processing that. I've been doing some freelance work the last few days, and also get a severance check which should (I hope) cover me for the next few months. I have a lot of time, which so far I've spent doing freelance and watching Japanese reality TV on Netflix. Productive. I might download a cheap video game on PS4, maybe Deus Ex: Mankind Divided or something. Should probably work on my website and resume... but I feel like I need a bit of a break.

How's everyone else doing?

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
Re: Whew...
« Reply #1 on: Thursday, March 15, 2018, 12:22:41 AM »
Man, that's rough. I shudder thinking about going back to work. I really do ... never been more terrified of anything in my life.

天才的な閃きと平均以下のテクニックやな。 課長有野

Offline scottws

• Gold Member
    • Facebook Me
« Reply #2 on: Thursday, March 15, 2018, 07:52:12 PM »
Sorry to hear about the layoff.  That said, with unemployment so low, there should be tons of positions open.

Doing well myself.  Didn't really bring this up here, but I ended up getting married (again) in January.  She's a great woman and I'm very happy.  No red flags this time.  We've been doing lots and lots of travel.  Went to various places in Europe last year and took a 3+ week honeymoon in New Zealand and Australia.

I previously learned to ride a motorcycle in between marriages, though I don't own one.  I just rent one every couple of months for a couple days.  I was thinking about buying a H-D, but now I'm thinking about a Triumph Bonneville.  I'm not 100% certain.  Kind of a bad financial decision and it's obviously a health risk.

I'm still at the same organization that I started working with after moving to Florida 7 years ago, though I earn more than 50% more than I did then after switching careers into Information Security.  I did have a bit of a career setback when new management decided to hire someone above me rather than promote me into the position.  A bit of a lost opportunity to get into the next tier of my career, as it's the type of position that's easier to organically grow up into than have another company take a flyer on you for.  I'm also kind of getting burned out and am thinking about making a move.  Other than that, going okay.

Overall, I've been pretty fortunate.

Offline ren

• Veteran
« Reply #3 on: Friday, March 16, 2018, 09:27:20 PM »
By japanese reality tv show do you.mean terrace house? The best show to ever exist?

Offline ender

« Reply #4 on: Sunday, March 18, 2018, 08:42:28 AM »
Thanks everyone! Getting paid for my freelance and getting the severance check at the end of the month, so it seems like I can live pretty comfortably for a few more months. The good news is, I have an interview with a tech company on Tuesday – really good pay, free health insurance and a video game room at work! Wow, not sure if I'll get it but sounds promising.

Congrats on your marriage, Scott!

Ren, yes... Terrace House!!! I almost want to just learn Japanese and get on the show for my next career move lol. I guess I am a few years out of the age cut off.

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #5 on: Monday, March 19, 2018, 07:40:56 PM »
Glad it looks like it's all coming together.

Offline ender

« Reply #6 on: Wednesday, March 28, 2018, 08:31:36 PM »
Well, that company had a marketing budget meeting and decided not to hire that position for this quarter – promoting someone internally. Oh well, they said they would like to keep in contact for a potential position next quarter. Back to sending out more job apps and resumes!

Offline ender

« Reply #7 on: Monday, April 23, 2018, 08:05:55 PM »
Yay! I got a job. I start next Monday. It's a luxury real estate tech company with a pretty amazing (and big) design team. Ended up being a lot more pay than my last job, and free health care and lunches provided as well. I'll have to travel to Philadelphia every few weeks in the beginning to art direct some designers in the satellite office there, but that should be fun exploring Philly in short bursts.

Feels good... I'm glad I didn't have to spend all of my severance money (I stayed in a lot, working on freelance to offset that). I am gainfully employed with an awesome company now!

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #8 on: Monday, April 23, 2018, 09:02:33 PM »
Congrats! That's awesome.

天才的な閃きと平均以下のテクニックやな。 課長有野