Author Topic: Fallout 76 - Coming to Xbox PC/Console Game Pass: July 9th  (Read 21697 times)

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
  • OWNet 4 Eternity & Beyond
« Last Edit: Wednesday, July 01, 2020, 03:02:35 PM by MysterD »

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
Re: Fallout 76
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday, July 24, 2018, 05:05:11 AM »

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #2 on: Monday, August 06, 2018, 06:59:39 PM »

Offline nickclone

• Veteran
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday, August 07, 2018, 04:47:01 AM »
How can you be the "line wanderer" with thousands of other people playing with you?

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday, August 07, 2018, 06:20:47 PM »
Yong thinks FO76's biggest downfall will be its lack of NPC's:
https://youtu.be/GcEGMBSUCSQ

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday, August 08, 2018, 10:11:33 AM »
I'll say this:  I hope that is the game's downfall for everyone, not just the subset of us that find this monetized online direction for Bethesda's ES and Fallout franchises completely unacceptable.  If something makes the game fail for everyone, I'll be a happier guy.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #6 on: Thursday, August 09, 2018, 03:18:06 PM »
I'm really getting tired of this "Let's stick and force a MMO-lite / MMO online-only experience" into everything trend.

This thing of taking existing franchises that are single-player only; or a game that offers the nice option to either play the game offline SP or with friends online; and then having a sequel or something some iterations later that is online-only is foolish.

ES was SP-only until ESO; FO series was SP-only until FO76; Diablo 1&2 were both offline or online experiences where you had the option to go either way...and then D3 made it online-only / MMO-lite; and now here we go again w/ Torchlight Frontiers pulling a Diablo 3 (PC version) here.

When's Borderlands 3 going to be online-only?

This is getting out of hand.

Offline PyroMenace

« Reply #7 on: Friday, August 10, 2018, 02:55:23 AM »
Hey guys, lighten up a little.

ESO is a pretty different experience from the ES series and they already said they are working on the next mainline Elder Scrolls game. FO76 is also not a mainline Fallout game, they just want to dabble in some coop in the FO experience which I'm totally down to trying out. Dont like it? Just dont play it.

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #8 on: Friday, August 10, 2018, 06:34:07 AM »
Time will tell.  With the big games controlled by public corporations, I'm skeptical that this is just a one-off.  (Make that two-off, including ESO.)  Their business is business.  Money comes easier and faster with monetized multiplayer.

Offline PyroMenace

« Reply #9 on: Friday, August 10, 2018, 01:57:19 PM »
It's a case by case basis. Business has failed with monetized multiplayer plenty of times.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #10 on: Saturday, August 11, 2018, 06:58:18 AM »
Time will tell.  With the big games controlled by public corporations, I'm skeptical that this is just a one-off.  (Make that two-off, including ESO.)  Their business is business.  Money comes easier and faster with monetized multiplayer.

Bingo.
I'll bet Diablo 4 PC will be online-only, given D3 PC's success. Wouldn't you?

Sure, ESO and FO76 are spin-off's, in a sense - but who's to say FO5 and ES6 won't have some additional online component also or also force online-only entirely?

Todd say Starfield and ES6 will be SP-based - but who's to say things won't change, given how successful ESO finally became in the last few years? That game's been overhauled, expanded on, and been doing VERY well for them. VERY well.

Remember Test Drive Unlimited series? Yeah, those optional online/offline racing games? You know what series came after that, w/ many of those Eden Games dev's (for TDU series) that went to Ivory Tower for UbiSoft, right? That's right, the online-only The Crew series.

Also, w/ the success of microtransactions (such as Shark Cards) & online-only portions in the GTA5/GTA Online bundle, we can probably expect Red Dead Redemption 2/Red Dead Online incoming.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #11 on: Saturday, August 11, 2018, 07:06:18 AM »
Hey guys, lighten up a little.

ESO is a pretty different experience from the ES series and they already said they are working on the next mainline Elder Scrolls game. FO76 is also not a mainline Fallout game, they just want to dabble in some coop in the FO experience which I'm totally down to trying out. Dont like it? Just dont play it.

Eh, not really. ESO feel like a hybrid b/t some styles of MMO-style combat and Skyrim-Single Player combat. There's also a lot of the usual MMO fetch "Kill X", "Defeat X", "Find X Areas" them seem to be heavily utilized in MMO's. I mostly have solo'd ESO, when I have played it - and honestly, doesn't feel that much different than a ES game. Just....better UI (out-the-box) and no allowed mods, TBH.

ESO's problem is just: it's yet nowhere as great as Skyrim, Morrowind, and Oblivion b/c it uses a lot of fantasy cliches, doesn't support modding & is basically another game trying to be a MMO. Instead of just standing out for being unique in some sort of way, it's really just another damn MMO out there.

What made Morrowind, Oblivion, and Skyrim great was it took a lot of the stuff that we find in MMO's (lots of quests/content everywhere; ridiculously big & huge world to traverse/explore) and applied that type of scale to a SP-offline game. Throw mods on top...and you got a recipe that made ES series unique & appealing in the first place. Main ES titles are basically an offline MMO without all of the online MMO bullshit (online-only DRM; dealing w/ online servers; dealing w/ other players; etc) & with also allowed-mods. This is what Morrowind, Oblivion, and Skyrim succeed over the years like they have.

Offline PyroMenace

« Reply #12 on: Saturday, August 11, 2018, 07:03:57 PM »
I haven't heard any news or interest in ESO in years.

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #13 on: Sunday, August 12, 2018, 06:05:06 AM »
What made Morrowind, Oblivion, and Skyrim great was it took a lot of the stuff that we find in MMO's (lots of quests/content everywhere; ridiculously big & huge world to traverse/explore) and applied that type of scale to a SP-offline game. Throw mods on top...and you got a recipe that made ES series unique & appealing in the first place. Main ES titles are basically an offline MMO without all of the online MMO bullshit (online-only DRM; dealing w/ online servers; dealing w/ other players; etc) & with also allowed-mods. This is what Morrowind, Oblivion, and Skyrim succeed over the years like they have.

I think you're putting the cart before the horse here.  The ES series originated well before the MMO commercial juggernaut really took off.  The series was always single-player and offline.  They weren't trying to force MMOs into offline SP.  It was designed from the ground up as self-contained SP experiences.  My point is that the series is not returning to its roots by going the MMO route.  Bethesda are selling it out by taking it there.  It greatly disappoints me.

Also, w/ the success of microtransactions (such as Shark Cards) & online-only portions in the GTA5/GTA Online bundle, we can probably expect Red Dead Redemption 2/Red Dead Online incoming.

Yeah, after GTA V Online, I have written Rockstar off entirely.  Not only is that series finished for me, but most likely, so is RDR and anything else the company creates.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #14 on: Sunday, August 12, 2018, 06:10:37 AM »
I haven't heard any news or interest in ESO in years.

ESO has put out both Morrowind expansion and Somerset expansion sets.
They have more content and DLC's coming soon, two which were shown off at E3.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #15 on: Sunday, August 12, 2018, 06:22:23 AM »
I think you're putting the cart before the horse here.  The ES series originated well before the MMO commercial juggernaut really took off.  The series was always single-player and offline.  They weren't trying to force MMOs into offline SP.  It was designed from the ground up as self-contained SP experiences.  My point is that the series is not returning to its roots by going the MMO route.  Bethesda are selling it out by taking it there.  It greatly disappoints me.
Very true, ES series (Arena hit in 1994) came out way before MMO's ever did.
Thing is, I don't think ES started really taking off in popularity and recognition until Morrowind (2002).

Yeah, after GTA V Online, I have written Rockstar off entirely.  Not only is that series finished for me, but most likely, so is RDR and anything else the company creates.
I really wish the new GTA:Online - After Hours update w/ Tony Prince (who is from GTA4: Ballad DLC) was a SP-offline based addition.

Still at some point might have to check out GTAO just b/c of this update.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #16 on: Sunday, August 12, 2018, 06:27:18 AM »
PC Gamer - What we know about FO76's Private Servers.

- Private Servers will come sometime after launch.
- Only private servers will be allowed to run mods.
- Private servers will only work online.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #17 on: Sunday, August 12, 2018, 08:11:21 AM »
PC Gamer - Fallout 76 changes Perks w/ Perk Cards.

-- There's still no level cap.
-- There are 100's worth of Perk Cards out there.
-- Perks are now Perk Cards set and can be swapped in & out at every level.
-- You can even share Perk Cards w/ players.
-- Until Level 10, you get a Perk Card Pack (containing 4 cards) at every 2 levels
-- After Level 10, you get a Perk Card Pack (containing 4 cards) at every 5 levels.
-- At every level until Level 50, you can sink points into SPECIAL stats...and then pick a Perk Card(s) to equip.
-- At Level 50, you are done w/ adding points to SPECIAL...but you can still earn Perk Cards.
-- Each card has a specific value, which are tied to your SPECIAL stats.
-- You can equip Perk Cards that add up to your SPECIAL stats; i.e. you have a 3 Points in Strength and have 3 one-point cards, you can equip 3 of these cards.
-- You can upgrade Perk Cards & their actual point values, causing them to be more effective.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #18 on: Sunday, September 30, 2018, 06:16:42 AM »
FO76 Beta information:
https://gamerant.com/fallout-76-beta-download-size/

Here's the info:
- FO76 Beta is only open to those that pre-ordered FO 76.
- Beta begins Oct. 23rd on XB1; and Oct. 30th on PC/PS4.
- FO76 Beta looks like it'll clock in around 46 GB.
- No NDA in the Beta.
- They (Bethesda/Zenimax) are encouraging you to share your opinions, experience, screenies, videos, live-streams, etc. once the Beta begins.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #19 on: Sunday, September 30, 2018, 11:15:19 PM »
What even is this? I've super checked out of Fallout at this point.

天才的な閃きと平均以下のテクニックやな。 課長有野

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #20 on: Monday, October 01, 2018, 02:39:46 PM »
What even is this? I've super checked out of Fallout at this point.
Fallout 76 is...basically what they originally planned for Fallout 4's MP component, which they scrapped to get FO4 out there.
They just decided after FO4 to go in on it...and expanded like crazy on it.
Especially after they added another studio full of MMO/multi-player-focused dev's that they figured could help them w/ the MP back-end stuff.

FO76 is an online-only MMO-lite FPS/ARPG/survival game (think like Rust).
No NPC's (traditional type), for the most part.
Most NPC's that are actually there, they'll be robots.
Most of the time, you'll be dealing w/ other players and doing quests/missions/whatever/killing other players and whatnot with them.
Takes place in West Virginia.

I think if you're looking for more of that real modern-day Fallout w/ actual choices/moral decisions and single-player content, go play Fallout 3 GOTY and Fallout: NV Ultimate.
About Fallout 4 - that decision-making/moral stuff doesn't happen really until the back 1/3rd of the base-game's main quest and most of the real meaty choice-making is mostly found in Far Harbor DLC.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Last Edit: Monday, October 08, 2018, 07:39:02 PM by MysterD »

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #22 on: Saturday, November 10, 2018, 03:32:22 PM »
GameInformer - 54.6 GB patch on Day-One for the Playstation 4 version of FO76:
https://www.gameinformer.com/2018/11/10/fallout-76-has-a-54gb-day-one-patch

FO76 on PS4 is 45GB on disc/out-the-box.
Day-One patch for FO76 on PS4 is 54.6 GB.
Around 100GB of space will need to be open, to do the install & then the update.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #23 on: Monday, November 12, 2018, 01:45:27 AM »
I got sick of Fallout with Fallout 4. It's a great universe, but they pumped out too much stuff in way too short a time and now I'm just tired of it. But that doesn't sound interesting even if I wanted more Fallout. And day-one patches larger than the game install? Jesus, Bethesda does not learn how to manage the technical end of things, do they?

天才的な閃きと平均以下のテクニックやな。 課長有野

Offline MysterD

• Forum god

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #25 on: Thursday, November 15, 2018, 04:46:11 PM »
GameRant - Fallout 76 is getting review-bombed on Metacritic for tons of reasons:
https://gamerant.com/fallout-76-negative-user-reviews/

Some reasons include:
- Fallout 76 is not on Steam
- The game is empty and boring.
- Lack of NPC's
- The game has LOTS of bugs
- Feels like an extended mod for FO4 with some added online features

Offline PyroMenace

« Reply #26 on: Thursday, November 15, 2018, 08:39:55 PM »
Let's make this clear. People are review bombing an early access Bethesda game for being buggy. Having a lack of NPCs which was advertised, and the post apocalyptic environment for being empty.

Holy shit guys.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #27 on: Saturday, November 17, 2018, 05:08:06 PM »
Let's make this clear. People are review bombing an early access Bethesda game for being buggy. Having a lack of NPCs which was advertised, and the post apocalyptic environment for being empty.

Holy shit guys.

Which they are charging $60 MSRP for.

Doesn't sound like it's worth $60, TBH. Sounds like it should be more along the stand-alone expansion territory (i.e. $10-30); they did do some work and put in a ridiculously huge land-mass.

It's too bad that...well, it seems like there ain't much worthwhile to do; especially since it lacks quests w/ some real choices and NPC's.

Of course, since it wants to be Rust, Day-Z, and games of that sort - sounds like they never had plans to have real NPC's and real quests here either.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #28 on: Monday, November 19, 2018, 07:13:12 PM »
A new FO76 patch is now live:
https://www.vg247.com/2018/11/19/fallout-76-first-major-patch-47gb/

47GB on consoles.
15GB on PC.

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #29 on: Monday, November 19, 2018, 08:04:47 PM »
That's actually the second time console players have to download a huge patch (likely close to the entire game image).

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #30 on: Monday, November 19, 2018, 09:09:09 PM »
FO76 - Metacritic average scores, so far...
PS4 - 46 (out of 100) = https://www.metacritic.com/game/playstation-4/fallout-76
PC - 59 (of 100) = https://www.metacritic.com/game/pc/fallout-76
X1 - 65 (of 100) = https://www.metacritic.com/game/xbox-one/fallout-76

FO76 - Opencritic average score so far...
All platforms - Score of 54 (of 100) = https://opencritic.com/game/6227/fallout-76

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #31 on: Tuesday, November 20, 2018, 04:57:55 AM »
YongYea - FO76 sales are down 82.4% in the UK:
https://youtu.be/crxyCPsNagM

Offline K-man

• Post-aholic
  • HOW'S IT FEEEEEL IDOL
« Reply #32 on: Tuesday, November 20, 2018, 07:14:22 AM »
It is difficult to say Bethesda is struggling given the fact Fallout 4 sold more than both Fallout 3 and New Vegas, but is it fair to say that perhaps they've become a bit tone deaf about what appeals to their fan base?

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #33 on: Tuesday, November 20, 2018, 09:15:33 AM »

Holy shit guys.

OK.  Here's the thing.  Review bombing is a symptom of something that's pissing off a lot of people.  It can be strictly a fanboy-war thing, in which case it doesn't really mean much.  But more often, I think it's reflective of the state of whatever is getting bombed.  In this case, pro reviews are now bearing out some of the negativity.

I hated the idea of this game from the start (see above).  I wanted it to fail.  Fallout is not about this.  I might have been wrong.  This might have become a brilliant MMO.  But it didn't, and I wasn't.  It became the half-assed, technically laughable effort into bleeding the player base that I feared it would be.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #34 on: Tuesday, November 20, 2018, 05:14:22 PM »
It is difficult to say Bethesda is struggling given the fact Fallout 4 sold more than both Fallout 3 and New Vegas, but is it fair to say that perhaps they've become a bit tone deaf about what appeals to their fan base?

Maybe not right now, but what about later, when Starfield and ES6 roll around?

Will gamers trust Bethesda again after FO76?

They might've just pissed-off a good deal of their fan-base, releasing FO76 in this state and w/ these crazy design choices for a Fallout-franchised game.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #35 on: Wednesday, November 21, 2018, 05:06:26 AM »
FO76 patch released, where Bethesda finally fixed the FPS and Physics Issue for allowing high framerates & physics working properly:

https://www.pcgamer.com/the-114-fallout-76-patch-allows-unlocked-fps-and-fixes-speed-hacks

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #36 on: Wednesday, November 21, 2018, 02:59:13 PM »
YongYea believes Bethesda sent him a special Fallout 76: Power Armor Edition:

https://youtu.be/jzHLOiVZv7o

Offline nickclone

• Veteran
« Reply #37 on: Sunday, November 25, 2018, 01:51:41 PM »
I think this failure is good for Bethesda, take them down a notch.

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #38 on: Tuesday, November 27, 2018, 08:31:56 AM »
Dodged that bullet.  ;D

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #39 on: Thursday, November 29, 2018, 05:20:56 PM »
PC Gamer - More Bethesda 76 issues, here w/ $200 Power Armor Edition:
- Bethesda swapped out the $200 Power Armor Edition's originally planned Canvas Bag for a much cheaper Vinyl Bag.
- Bethesda said it was too expensive to make canvas version.
- People aren't happy and have been complaining about the false advertising on the bag coming w/ this edition.
- Bethesda been offering 500 Atoms (which is $5 worth of the in-game MTX currency for FO76) for those that bought that special edition who weren't happy w/ the vinyl bag.

EDIT -- 12-1-2018:

Youtube - YongYea with more on FO76's Bag-Gate.
- Youtube "Influencers" got a very nice backpack/bag at Previewed FO76 events.
- Power Armor Edition buyers are not happy about not getting the Canvas Bag, instead getting a cheaper Vinyl one.
- But not PAE buyers see Influencers got something way better.
« Last Edit: Saturday, December 01, 2018, 08:03:52 AM by MysterD »