Author Topic: Roll Call. Even if you're just lurking, please post so we know you still visit  (Read 16093 times)

Offline K-man

• Post-aholic
  • HOW'S IT FEEEEEL IDOL
Just trying to get a feel for who still finds their way here from time to time.

Offline scottws

• Gold Member
    • Facebook Me
Re: Roll Call. Even if you're just lurking, please post so we know you still visit
« Reply #1 on: Monday, October 14, 2019, 05:42:40 PM »
Present

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
Re: Roll Call. Even if you're just lurking, please post so we know you still visit
« Reply #2 on: Monday, October 14, 2019, 11:51:33 PM »
 :)

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday, October 15, 2019, 11:33:55 PM »
yo

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday, October 16, 2019, 07:00:01 PM »
This seems like a trap

Offline iPPi

• Roar!
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday, October 16, 2019, 07:11:51 PM »
Greetings.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
  • OWNet 4 Eternity & Beyond
« Reply #6 on: Thursday, October 17, 2019, 04:31:08 PM »
Always posting something in the Gaming Forums.

Offline ren

• Veteran
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday, October 22, 2019, 02:18:06 PM »
holla

Offline ender

« Reply #8 on: Tuesday, October 22, 2019, 06:35:19 PM »
It's me

Offline angrykeebler

• Veteran
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday, October 23, 2019, 05:51:23 PM »
Hey

Hoob and I had ramen last week
Suck it, Pugnate.

Offline JacksRag(e)

« Reply #10 on: Thursday, October 24, 2019, 12:57:50 AM »
This is true.

Offline ren

• Veteran
« Reply #11 on: Thursday, October 24, 2019, 02:36:11 PM »
Did you guys talk about us?

Offline angrykeebler

• Veteran
« Reply #12 on: Thursday, October 24, 2019, 06:27:02 PM »
About what a bitch Pugnate is, yes
Suck it, Pugnate.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #13 on: Sunday, November 17, 2019, 08:54:03 PM »
I'm always around, especially when the billing comes around and reminds me I'm still paying for everything. haha

How's everybody? I swear to God lately all I do is school and stress out.

天才的な閃きと平均以下のテクニックやな。 課長有野

Offline poomcgoo

• Poster Child
« Reply #14 on: Monday, April 20, 2020, 01:45:44 PM »
Sup fellas.  I would be sad if I found this place disappeared one day, so thanks Que

Offline Cools!

• Administrator
  • Veteran
  • Let's burn.
« Reply #15 on: Monday, April 27, 2020, 06:35:57 AM »
Hello hello! :D

Offline W7RE

• Post-aholic
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday, May 05, 2020, 05:59:49 AM »
I'm here. I come by once or twice a month usually. I think it's mostly because things are slower around here now. There's new posts less often, so I check back less often, then I forget to check for a while.

Offline ren

• Veteran
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday, May 05, 2020, 03:33:16 PM »
I'm here. I come by once or twice a month usually. I think it's mostly because things are slower around here now. There's new posts less often, so I check back less often, then I forget to check for a while.

We're stuck in a loop. I could post more but the board is slow and the board is slow because nobody posts.

Offline scottws

• Gold Member
    • Facebook Me
« Reply #18 on: Tuesday, May 05, 2020, 06:41:43 PM »
MysterD tries hard with the gaming posts, but I hardly play games at all anymore. I only play single player games and even then the last game I beat was Dying Light. Before that it was The Last of Us. I just can't relate. Unless you want to talk about one of the Jackbox Games Party Packs.

Nowadays I'm more inclined to talk about security, technology, TV shows, culture, economics, or politics.

Offline ren

• Veteran
« Reply #19 on: Friday, May 08, 2020, 01:33:29 PM »
Same, video games are a rare indulgence for me these days. I don't know why but the appeal has just gone away. Although I am excited for The Last Of Us 2 since the original is the last game I played which I truly enjoyed.

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #20 on: Friday, May 08, 2020, 10:16:59 PM »
I'm all about the games! Yeah! Woo! Change is never good!

Er...uh....

Offline iPPi

• Roar!
« Reply #21 on: Saturday, May 09, 2020, 11:45:53 AM »
For the past 6 years, I mostly stopped playing video games. My PC was too old to run current games well, and I just did not have the time and effort to get into video games after work. Recently, I picked it back up as I bought a new PC and the pandemic means I am staying home and have a lot more free time at home, especially on the weekends.

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #22 on: Sunday, May 10, 2020, 05:35:54 PM »
Are you still in Calgary?

Offline iPPi

• Roar!
« Reply #23 on: Monday, May 11, 2020, 04:53:58 PM »
I am, though before the pandemic I spent a fair bit of time away with business travel. Grounded now, obviously, and don't see any business travel for the foreseeable future.

Offline beo

• Veteran
« Reply #24 on: Tuesday, May 12, 2020, 03:02:05 AM »
Hi, I'm still alive.

Every few months I take a look here.

Lockdown is tough. Both me and the wife are working from home full time with a toddler who's about to turn two, along with two frustrated dogs who aren't getting walked enough!

I picked up the FFVII remake the other day, which is the first game I've bought in several years (I do play quite a lot of Overwatch though).

With the little one, my latest obsession is Duplo. I can't wait until he's old enough for Lego, but this will do for now!

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #25 on: Wednesday, May 13, 2020, 05:36:21 AM »
I don't have a lot of time for games, but I still enjoy them and play them as much as I'm able. Less so these days, and the only real excuse I have is language practice, so at this point 85%+ of the games I play are Japanese. Quarantine hasn't improved things for me as far as time goes at all, sadly, but school is almost done. Looking for work is next on the agenda.

Offline scottws

• Gold Member
    • Facebook Me
« Reply #26 on: Tuesday, May 19, 2020, 06:10:31 AM »
With the little one, my latest obsession is Duplo. I can't wait until he's old enough for Lego, but this will do for now!
I'm also a Lego man! I used to have a couple huge bins of random Lego bits. I built all kinds of cool stuff just with my own imagination.

Once, I even came up with a sport called "Battleram" where the goal was to build a rolling vehicle that would protect Lego Man in a head-on collision with another battleram. You would keep ramming two of them together and whoever's Lego Man fell out of the vehicle first lost.

There were no real rules other than the one. At first everyone had all these creative designs like low ramps or things bristling with 16x2s. But quickly the vehicles turned into these extremely long, dense rectangles. It was so fun. I think I even recorded them on a camcorder. 😂

Sorry that you are stuck with Duplo at the moment.

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #27 on: Tuesday, May 19, 2020, 10:16:01 PM »
Hi, I'm still alive.

Every few months I take a look here.

Lockdown is tough. Both me and the wife are working from home full time with a toddler who's about to turn two, along with two frustrated dogs who aren't getting walked enough!

I picked up the FFVII remake the other day, which is the first game I've bought in several years (I do play quite a lot of Overwatch though).

I'm not going to lie man, I occasionally think about the story where your flatmate was into some shady shit and the police banged down your door and confiscated your work laptop.  I picture that conversation at work the next day and chuckle a little.

Offline beo

• Veteran
« Reply #28 on: Friday, June 26, 2020, 04:45:32 AM »
Once, I even came up with a sport called "Battleram" where the goal was to build a rolling vehicle that would protect Lego Man in a head-on collision with another battleram. You would keep ramming two of them together and whoever's Lego Man fell out of the vehicle first lost.
That sounds awesome - I'll have to remember that for when he's a bit bigger!

I'm not going to lie man, I occasionally think about the story where your flatmate was into some shady shit and the police banged down your door and confiscated your work laptop.  I picture that conversation at work the next day and chuckle a little.
Yeah, that was an err... interesting time in my life. Last I heard, that guy was addicted to heroin and someone od'd in his house. Very glad I got myself away from people and situations like that! My 30s have been surprisingly conventional given how fucked up my 20s were.

Offline ender

« Reply #29 on: Tuesday, June 30, 2020, 05:49:41 AM »
hi

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #30 on: Thursday, July 02, 2020, 09:24:30 AM »
Aloha!

Offline angrykeebler

• Veteran
« Reply #31 on: Saturday, July 04, 2020, 04:40:01 PM »
Hi and quick reminder that pugnate is dumb and lame
Suck it, Pugnate.

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #32 on: Saturday, July 11, 2020, 08:18:55 PM »
^^^^^

This guy knows his stuff

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #33 on: Wednesday, September 02, 2020, 12:12:38 AM »
Not going to lie, the complete lack of posting here is kind of depressing  (I'm no better). I was never a guy who thought I'd, like, get into internet forums but I'm extremely fond of the memories I have with you guys.

Out of highschool I went to community college for two years pretty close to where I grew up.  All my really close friends were guys I went to high school or played sports with growing up.  When I transferred and moved away to university after my second year I definitely had some problems adjusting to the structure - like, I had always lived with my parents, had a set group of friends, went to school and worked.  And now I had a bunch of classes I didn't give a shit about, lived with friends but had less nearby overall, and had all the time in the world to dive into that kind of side hobby I always was interested in but spent little time really getting into - video games.

I went all in on video games during the days when I should have been in shitty third and fourth year economics classes and all in on partying at night.  Never went to school, really, except for tests.  Honestly, I still had a lot of friends - both ones I grew up with and ones I met there - but I think the time I spent getting really into the world of video games and the internet in general had the potential to go really south had some dude named The Grey King not sent me a PM on IGN and invited me to join your boards that were a precursor to All Out Games.  The social interaction I found with you guys and being able to "geek out" on shit I was into was great and did a lot to normalize it to me.  As a very social person it was great to be able to connect with people about all this stuff we're into on a level that my friends didn't really meet- if that makes sense.

And it's insane to me that it's been like almost 19 years since I first got that message.  I remember being on those IGN boards getting ready to go home for Christmas my first semester away in 2001 and getting in an argument with Pug on the IGN boards about something and then admitting I was wrong.  I remember Idol commenting something along the lines of "Well, that's the first time I've ever seen an argument on the internet end that way".  And then I remember getting this invite to this small board when everything went IGN Insider and feeling like you were all friends but super welcoming.

The Grey King turned out to be racist or something, I can't remember.  Duckfat either turned us out for people more inline with what he wanted for his site or we all over-reacted and bounced - who knows.  We moved around from place to place and finally landed here.  We've lost some people along the way - both just figuratively as they stopped checking in - and in reality as they passed away. It's been a really long time and that's kind of cool...and this is coming from a guy who's now almost 40 and the majority of the guys I hang out on a week to week basis are guys I hung out with in elementary/highschool/university and sometimes yells "No new friends!" when someone tries to introduce someone from work or whatever. 

It's cool to have known you guys for so long and you provided me with a great social outlet when it came to gaming and I appreciate that a lot. Those days when I was getting really into gaming would have probably been a lot darker if I didn't have you guys to talk about it with, but you made it super fun.

Bang bang, thanks everyone and hope we all can keep in at least a casual level of contact for years to come.  Except for fucking Keebs or Pug.  I can't remember which one I'm supposed to hate right now.

Offline ender

« Reply #34 on: Wednesday, September 02, 2020, 09:40:19 AM »
Yeah, I was thinking about this the other day. It's really wild to me that it's lasted this long – even if it is not consistently active. Obviously I've come and gone for long stretches of time – but always check in every once in a while to see what's going on. I definitely miss the old days when the boards were quite active – I mainly miss IGN in its heyday, when it was less toxic and insane. I guess that can be said for a lot of internet culture (who knew that something innocent like gaming boards would morph into insane geopolitical hate groups and the like?)

Lately I've just been riding my bike a lot, and going to museums as NYC opens up more fully after our long lockdown to combat the virus. Wild times we're living in.

Offline scottws

• Gold Member
    • Facebook Me
« Reply #35 on: Wednesday, September 02, 2020, 09:47:07 PM »
August 2020 was the first month ever since these boards opened in 2006 that we had zero posts. It's been a battle of attrition as some of the community moved to forms of real-time communication and used the board's asynchronous communication less or simply became disinterested and left. It's been inevitable that this place would die. After all, registration here has been closed for years, making it impossible to replace any losses. Not that we had many new visitors that stuck around when it was open. I guess we were pretty insular like that, and that's probably one of the reasons Duckfat wanted us out at AOG.

I've disabled or abandoned my social media accounts and don't use IRC or Discord or whatever formerly active members of this community are using now, so when this place finally ends just due to complete abandonment or someone decides to stop paying the bills, that'll pretty much be it for my connection to the folks here. This community had been a pretty integrated part of my life for a long time, and I've never participated in a community as deeply as this one, so that's pretty sad.

C'est la vie. It's been great knowing everyone.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
  • OWNet 4 Eternity & Beyond
« Reply #36 on: Sunday, September 06, 2020, 06:35:48 PM »
Oh, man. All these feels. All the good old days, back when IGN Boards were awesome, before Insider. And back when AOG was AOG, before Duckfat changed scope of the place.

Then, this place - Overwritten, feels like it been around for a long time. Man, I miss when this place used to be hopping, even as close and tight as this group was; and still is close and tight, for the most part.

I still post plenty, on boards like Reddit and such. I'm still around. I still play tons of games. Still surviving during this COVID mess. Still working, haven't stopped.

Oh, and Wasteland 3's awesome. Been playing that in Xbox PC Game Pass.

And...I've been in the mode to build or buy a new desktop. Not sure when it's going to happen, but...it will. Damn, those GeForce 3070's sound off the hook ($500) - and pricey as hell, too.

I would be curious, to see - whenever they put them out - what some GF 3060's would look like.

So, if any of you guys are out there - "Hello!" :)

Offline ender

« Reply #37 on: Tuesday, September 08, 2020, 11:29:43 AM »
Has anyone heard from Matt/Sirean? I remember he was at the national lab in Oak Ridge, TN surprisingly (I used to work out there) but no word in many years.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #38 on: Tuesday, September 08, 2020, 01:59:55 PM »
We're in regular contact with Sy. Actually, he was supposed to be the best man at my wedding in October, which has gotten ... complicated. Thanks, pandemic and apocalyptic California fires!

I'm still around, though I feel bad that I don't post here much. Honestly it's just a question of both free time and sort of bang for buck. Posts I make here don't get much traction since so many have slipped away, so I tend to spend more time on the Discord and such. Still check back at least every few weeks, though, generally. Should endeavor to be a little more active.

Offline ScaryTooth

• Veteran
« Reply #39 on: Tuesday, September 08, 2020, 02:09:50 PM »
I honestly haven't been here in years! I am in our Discord chat every day though. It's really cool to log back in here and see all these old avatars, and signatures. Makes me feel all warm and fuzzy.

So much has changed in my life since I lasted posted here it's really weird to think about.