Author Topic: General Gaming News / Info Thread  (Read 5240 times)

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
  • OWNet 4 Eternity & Beyond
General Gaming News / Info Thread
« on: Monday, September 07, 2020, 07:09:03 AM »
So, I'm going to do a general news on games and info in this thread. It could be about anything - related to games, gaming, consoles, PC gaming, etc etc.

Mostly, for small bits of info...that probably won't have a thread that would likely take-off like some other huge threads; or for say something that you're not sure where the heck to put it or if it's worth creating its own thread.

And you're welcome to post anything about gaming in replies in here, too...

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
Re: General Gaming News / Info Thread
« Reply #1 on: Monday, September 07, 2020, 07:09:30 AM »
Less than 11% of Steam Surveyers use RTX 2000 series, as 73% users use NVidia, where most of those either use 1000 series (most popular series) or 900 series (right behind it):
VG247 - https://www.vg247.com/2020/09/07/steam-hardware-survey-nvidia-rtx-2000-gpu-share/

KOA: Re-Reckoning info on Very Hard Mode, Difficulty Mode, Zoning, Loot, Stash, Re-Balancing, Tweaks, Pricing, Release Date, etc etc...in Sept 7th update section, discounts on Steam, etc.
FAQ - https://thqnordic.com/article/faq-kingdoms-amalur-re-reckoning

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday, September 09, 2020, 03:00:41 PM »
AMD will be revealing their new line of CPU's & GPU's for the PC in October:
https://www.gamespot.com/articles/amd-revealing-next-gen-gpu-and-cpu-lines-in-octobe/1100-6481964/

Zen 3 CPU's = October 8.
RDNA 2 GPU's = Oct. 28th.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #3 on: Thursday, September 17, 2020, 04:03:58 PM »

Offline MysterD

• Forum god

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday, October 20, 2020, 10:21:20 PM »
I'm kind of tempted to build a new PC but everytime I check the newest CPU's don't have THAT much real world difference over the i7-4790 I free upgraded too from a friend's work station a few years ago.  Like, the 3600 is a 10% upgrade over that for most applications from the benchmarks I looked at a while ago but costs $250-300 CDN before you throw in that I'd have to upgrade the motherboard and ram as well and I'm not going to buy a higher tier CPU (although the next Ryzen in the same tier would be an option).

But then I think about it and the only reason I really want to do it is so that I could buy a 3060 when it comes out so I could get some raytracing effects and I could handle some games at 4k on my TV that my 1060 can't quite handle.  So, I guess the question is (and this may be the wrong place), is CPU bottlenecking really a thing here?  Like if my CPU isn't limiting Spyro (shut up) at 1080 or 1440, would it all of a sudden be limiting at 4k? Or is that purely the GPU pushing that?

Obviously, the question gets more complicated with newer/future games, but I'm less worried about that.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #6 on: Sunday, October 25, 2020, 11:04:22 AM »
I'm probably going to run my PC into the ground before I do anything. Really just hoping it holds out because I don't have the funds and am not likely to for some time. But it's still kinda on my radar ... but I feel like my current specs are still treating me more than well enough. I've gotten further and further away from needing to be on the bleeding edge. As long as it can run stuff acceptably and look decent, I'm happy.

天才的な閃きと平均以下のテクニックやな。 課長有野

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #7 on: Sunday, June 20, 2021, 05:15:17 AM »
Final Fantasy VII Remake and Alan Wake Remastered PC versions are showing up in the Epic Game Store database:
https://www.gamebyte.com/alan-wake-remaster-and-ff7-remake-could-be-coming-to-pc/

Could these be Epic Game Store timed-exclusives or forever-exclusives?

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #8 on: Sunday, June 20, 2021, 03:22:36 PM »
Hmm, thats interesting. FF7R does use Unreal Engine so selling it exclusively through Epic store would give them a big discount on the license. Which I could see Square doing.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday, June 22, 2021, 02:55:35 PM »
Hmm, thats interesting. FF7R does use Unreal Engine so selling it exclusively through Epic store would give them a big discount on the license. Which I could see Square doing.

And also, Kingdom Hearts series are exclusive to Epic currently on the PC too.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday, June 22, 2021, 02:57:58 PM »
AMD's FSR is out. Check your favorite tech site, Youtubers, and/or video reviews.

Info:
    Seems like it's at least decent, at higher settings but probably not as great as DLSS.
    Most games are right now supporting either DLSS or FSR.
    For direct comparisons of FSR v. DLSS, we'd need a game supporting both DLSS & FSR to see the differences.
    Since it's open & not tied to AMD only, this could help out it's adoption level.
    Also built not just for higher-tier GPU's, but for older, mid-tier, & lower GPU's.
    This should work on many Nvidia (at least 10xx series and up)...
    ...and AMD GPU's (AMD 460/470/480 are supported and up) - so, enjoy the free upgrade & performance boost!
    TechSpot looks at FSR - https://www.techspot.com/review/2277-amd-fsr-analysis-benchmark/
    List of games & companies supporting FSR - https://wccftech.com/amd-fsr-fidelityfx-super-resolution-supported-games-list-leaks-here-are-the-20-titles-planned-so-far/

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #11 on: Sunday, June 27, 2021, 07:16:38 PM »
I was about to reply that would be cool when I upgrade but it appears my graphics card is supported! Though I don't think I have any of the games that make use of FSR but still, thats pretty awesome.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #12 on: Monday, July 05, 2021, 06:08:07 AM »
I was about to reply that would be cool when I upgrade but it appears my graphics card is supported! Though I don't think I have any of the games that make use of FSR but still, thats pretty awesome.

Curious: what is your GPU?

Given the price of new GPU's and how hard they actually are to come by - any GPU being supported by FSR right now is great news and gamers certainly do need this nice boost in actual performance!

EDIT - Now we just need modders to figure out if there's actual ways to inject this stuff into games that don't support it out-right. ;)

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday, July 06, 2021, 09:08:37 AM »
Still running a RX480. Haven't really had a need to upgrade.