Author Topic: [ATTN: Homeworld fans] Sins of a Solar Empire  (Read 1942 times)

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
[ATTN: Homeworld fans] Sins of a Solar Empire
« on: Thursday, January 04, 2007, 03:16:40 PM »
Site

You will want this game. Several of the devs are from the team that made Homeworld: Cataclysm. The site has only a few screens, and Shacknews has a few more.

Sounds like they are taking the 4X strategy game and making it all real-time.

Offline sirean_syan

• Global Moderator
  • Post-aholic
Re: [ATTN: Homeworld fans] Sins of a Solar Empire
« Reply #1 on: Thursday, January 04, 2007, 03:36:05 PM »
Hmm. Well, Homeworld Cataclysm is something of the worst of the series. It's not bad, but it was lacking compared to the real games. It was developed by an outside group of Relic, Barking Dog who, as I understand it, were a Half-Life mod group before they got the Homeworld gig. They really did nothing to develop what made Homeworld special.

That said, they did a lot of cool strange little things with Cataclysm which makes me think they can pull of alien fleets that use strange tactics pretty well. The real plus here is that Stardock is involved and you should all be familiar of how they came from nowhere with Galactic Civilizations and kicked some life into the 4X space sim world right after Masters of Orion failed.
« Last Edit: Thursday, January 04, 2007, 05:53:36 PM by sirean_syan »

Offline Antares

• Veteran
« Reply #2 on: Thursday, January 04, 2007, 04:41:57 PM »
Awesome.  I agree about Cataclysm being the weakest in the series, but it is still way better than most RTS out there, let alone those operating in full 3d space.

Offline scottws

• Gold Member
    • Facebook Me
« Reply #3 on: Thursday, January 04, 2007, 06:29:08 PM »
You know, I still haven't even taken the shrinkwrap off of Homeworld 2.  I wanted to beat Homeworld first, but I just can't beat that 4th mission.

Offline wizall

« Reply #4 on: Thursday, January 04, 2007, 07:19:29 PM »
The nostalgia alone might pull me back in into PC gaming.  I'd really like to give this a go.

Scott, I'm sure I don't need to tell you again, but I will:  Homeworld 2 is phenomenal.  I understand the completist attitude, but if that's your hangup about starting the second, then blow off the first.  Two is great, and I found it more to my liking, actually.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #5 on: Thursday, January 04, 2007, 07:41:59 PM »
Pretty sweet.  I'd definitely be interested in checking it out.

天才的な閃きと平均以下のテクニックやな。 課長有野

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #6 on: Thursday, January 04, 2007, 11:07:36 PM »

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #7 on: Thursday, January 04, 2007, 11:09:58 PM »
Sweet.

Honestly I enjoyed Haegemonia a lot more the Homeworld. HW and HW2 were great and very well polished games, but I found that they got repetitive and monotonous fairly quickly. Haegemonia added a few more game mechanics and options that gave it the edge for me, and I think it looked better too.

Offline sirean_syan

• Global Moderator
  • Post-aholic
« Reply #8 on: Friday, January 05, 2007, 12:57:28 AM »
While Haeg may have some more gameplay mechanics, and this is coming from someone who only played the demo of Haegemonia, Haeg lacked a few subtle things that made Homeworld special well beyond the gameplay aspects.

The first thing being story and soul. Something about the extreme loneliness and emptiness of the Homeworld's visuals that were accentuated by the so pace made the game fell like you were looking at something timeless. Yet, it still hit you emotionally. Maybe it had something to with making you lonely so you grow attached to the few voices you hear.

Homeworld is one of the few space-based games that got motion right. In Haeg, ship movement and explosions felt canned and lacked fulidity. It's a subtle thing, but watch ships fly around in Haeg. The look like they're moving on strings or turning on dials. It's just doesn't feel as good as some of the games that really get it right like Homeworld. It's a problem a lot of games have and to me it's one of those details that are a small step that make a huge difference. Homeworld's also has a purposely sparse look that way more stylish from what I saw in Haeg and that's the sort of thing I can get behind. Haeg's looks were all about flashy textures and high resolution explosions and that's amaturish in a lot of ways. It's like what developers who rush to get games out for console lauch line-ups do. It takes great screenshots, it looks stiff and sloppy on the go.

Generally, what makes the Homeworlds special is more about the experience of the single player campaign. Honestly, I almost couldn't care less about the skirmish or MP of the games. It's easier and less memoriable to make a game that just plays well, but if you make a game that plays slightly less well but hits all the right notes in terms of impact it's gonna be with you a lot longer and takes a gentler touch. Like I said, I only played the demo of Haeg, but I felt little when I was playing it... it felt like I was playing a game. Homeworld makes me feel like I disappear. Besides, it's not like Homeworld's actual game is in any way lacking. There's more than enough meat to carry me through the campaign without all the other stuff. I'm also of the mind that some of that stuff added gameplay-wise muddled things up and were the sorts of things that are added just to make something "new."

In short, never compare anything to Homeworld... I'll cut you.

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #9 on: Friday, January 05, 2007, 08:48:12 AM »
HAha I gotta agree with you that Homeworld was definitely a richer game with a great story. I just enjoyed Haegamonia longer than HW.

I think I might reinstall HW2 just to see it again, it's been a while.