Author Topic: Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning/Re-Reckoning  (Read 31234 times)

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
  • OWNet 4 Eternity & Beyond
Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning/Re-Reckoning
« on: Tuesday, February 20, 2007, 02:50:41 PM »
NEW -> 07-07-2020:
IGN - Kingdoms of Amular: Re-Reckoning (Remastered) & also new expansion (Fatesworn) info.

OLD:
VG247 -> Supposedly, 38 Studios spent $133 Million before it went on bankruptcy.
BostonMagazine.com -> 8 page article on 38 Studios, BHG Baltimore & Curt Schilling.
MysterD's Review of Dead Kel DLC.
Joystiq -> Some info on BHG about KOA: Reckoning 1 and 2.
GamesRadar -> 8 Potential Publishers Who Could Save Project Copernicus.
G4TV -> R.A. Salvatore speaks.
GamaSutra -> 38 Studios and BHG had their ENTIRE staff laid off.
GiantBomb -> RUMOR - 38 Studios might be in financial trouble.
Shacknews -> 38 Studios is asking for more assistance from Rhode Island state.
Escapist -> It's possible state of RI could end-up w/ Amalur IP and anything else 38 Studios was working on, if things don't get worked out...
OWNet -> Post w/ Teeth of Naros DLC REVIEWS.
Joystiq -> KOA:R - Teeth of Naros DLC information.
Joystiq -> Article w/ Sean Dunn of BHG on KOA:R.
Yahtzee reviews Amalur.
Forbes -> KOA:R vs. Skyrim article.
GameSpy -> KOA:R vs. Skyrim article.
OWNet Thread -> LOTS of Reviews in THIS post/link.
GameFront -> "Everything We Know About Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning" - 3 page article.

Gamasutra -> Interview w/ KOA:R's Lead World Designer, Colin Campbell - 4 page article.
VentureBeat -> Interview w/ Curt Schilling - 2 page interview.
USAToday -> Interview w/ Curt Schilling - Reckoning 2 announced at the end.
Youtube -> Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning - Music & Sound Dev Diary.
ALL versions of KOA:R have Achievements somewhere.
IGN -> "Review In Progress" on KOA:R - 6 pages on this game.
Art Design TRAILER.
GameBanshee -> 3 page preview.
Youtube -> KOA:R - Inside the game's Combat.
RockPaperShotgun -> KOA:R Preview.
KO:A Forums -> Q&A w/ the Team on KOA:R.
GameSpot -> Costs of some different Special Editions - $80, $200, and $275.
Joystiq -> Preview on the upcoming single-player RPG from Big Huge Games and 38 Studios coming Feb 2012.
IGN -> Article on KOA: Reckoning w/ Sean Bean.
IGN -> Impressions on KOA: Reckoning.
PC Gamer -> Gameplay video.
Youtube - E3 2011 -> Part 1; Part 2; Part 3.
RPGFan -> E3 2011 impressions on KOA: Amular.
Shacknews -> Interview w/ Sean Dunn of Big Huge Games.
Shacknews -> Preview on KOA: Reckoning.
Ten Ton Hammer -> Preview.
G4TV -> Interview w/ Curt Schilling on KOA: Reckoning.
IGN -> Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning - Preview.
IGN -> Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning - Trailer.

Shacknews -> The RPG Big Huge Games is working on will be published by EA.
Bluesnews -> 38 Studios acquires BHG
BHG's RPG to be published by THQ.
Next-Gen.Biz -> There will be plans for a PC port of this RPG Ken Rolston is working on, as well...
Big Huge Games made the press release today that Ken Rolston (lead designer for BethSoft on Morrowind and Oblivion) joined them.
« Last Edit: Monday, September 07, 2020, 05:27:53 PM by MysterD »

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
Re: Ken Rolston (lead designer for Morrowind and Oblivion) jumps to Big Huge Gam
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday, February 20, 2007, 09:08:05 PM »
I was kind of sad to see him go, but good that he's still doing something he loves.  Hope it works out for him.  Don't have much else to say until we see more on whatever game this may turn out to be.

天才的な閃きと平均以下のテクニックやな。 課長有野

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
Re: Ken Rolston (lead designer for Morrowind and Oblivion) jumps to Big Huge Gam
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday, February 21, 2007, 04:41:22 AM »
Hmm, BH Games worked on Rise of Nations and its expansion.. Mr. Rolston is a lead designer for two of the greatest RPG's.. Hmm, Strategy + RPG.. Rage of Mages III? :P

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #4 on: Saturday, February 24, 2007, 04:03:43 PM »
Hmm, BH Games worked on Rise of Nations and its expansion.. Mr. Rolston is a lead designer for two of the greatest RPG's.. Hmm, Strategy + RPG.. Rage of Mages III? :P

Rage of Mages....?!?!!?

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #5 on: Saturday, February 24, 2007, 04:09:22 PM »
I'll pass on that one.

But you know, I kept thinking about this and I'm really gonna' miss Ken.  He was a funny old guy.  Just seeing him around now and again was always fun.

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
Re: Big Huge Games - Update: Ascendant revealed w/ screens + trailer (Reply 9)
« Reply #10 on: Thursday, April 09, 2009, 05:33:59 PM »
It looks like Fable meets God of War. Seems interesting but the trailer and screenshots don't give much to go on.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
Re: Big Huge Games - Update: Ascendant revealed w/ screens + trailer (Reply 9)
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday, May 27, 2009, 01:43:30 PM »
38 Studios acquires BHG

38 Studios Acquires Big Huge Games

[May 27, 2009, 10:21 am ET] - 8 Comments
38 Studios announces they have acquired Big Huge Games, the RTS/RPG developer that THQ put on the sales block earlier this year. Terms of the acquisition by 38 Studios, the MMO developer started by now-retired pro baseball player Curt Schilling, are not disclosed, but they say this fits their "strategy to deliver a broad range of entertainment products centered on its original fantasy IP, codenamed Copernicus." Word is:

Maynard, MA, May 27, 2009 – 38 Studios (www.38studios.com), an entertainment and original IP creation company, today announced the acquisition of Big Huge Games (BHG) from publisher THQ Inc. The acquisition is a critical step in 38 Studios’ strategy to deliver a broad range of entertainment products centered on its original fantasy IP, codenamed Copernicus. The purchase of Big Huge Games includes all of the company’s proprietary IP, tools, technology, assets, and works-in-progress. Specific financial terms of the agreement were not disclosed.

Big Huge Games was founded in 2000 by veteran game developers Brian Reynolds, Jason Coleman, Dave Inscore, and Tim Train. Award-winning lead designer Ken Rolston, a 25-year role-playing game designer and co-creator of Oblivion and Morrowind, is another vital and dynamic component in BHG’s success. Big Huge Games has developed top-selling games including Rise of Nationsâ, and was built with the same talent that created Alpha Centauri, and Civilization II. Big Huge Games is currently developing an unnamed RPG title for the Xbox 360 video game and entertainment system, PLAYSTATION 3 computer entertainment system, and Windows PC.

“The acquisition of Big Huge Games will be tremendously beneficial to the growth, market position, financial stability, and long-term success of 38 Studios,” said Brett Close, CEO and President, 38 Studios. “BHG’s cross-platform RTS/RPG engine will accelerate the realization of our Online Entertainment ExperienceÔ for the Copernicus IP. The acquisition enables us to develop and deliver top-quality games in multiple genres that are based in a shared world, ultimately maximizing the value of our Copernicus MMOG and the intellectual property as a whole.”

“Big Huge Games and 38 Studios share a common vision – to deliver the most engaging, compelling, original experiences possible,” said Tim Train, CEO of Big Huge Games. “Joining the 38 Studios family allows us to continue translating our passions into great games.”

“It’s always about team,” said 38 Studios Founder and Chairman Curt Schilling. “The highly regarded developers at BHG, including leading role-playing and real-time strategy design teams led by Ken Rolston, are a perfect complement to 38 Studios’ staggering array of talent. Big Huge Games is a phenomenal team and, culturally, a natural fit.”

The Big Huge Games team will be integrated into 38 Studios but will remain based in Timonium, Maryland.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Last Edit: Tuesday, March 09, 2010, 03:27:57 PM by MysterD »

Offline MysterD

• Forum god

Offline MysterD

• Forum god

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Last Edit: Monday, December 12, 2011, 07:57:39 PM by MysterD »

Offline W7RE

• Post-aholic
Re: Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday, December 13, 2011, 01:56:35 AM »
I'd heard of this game quite a few times but never payed much attention. After playing Skyrim though, I'm interested in playing more RPGs, especially if it's similar in any way to Skyrim. So I'm sort of interested in seeing how this one turns out.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #18 on: Tuesday, December 13, 2011, 03:44:48 PM »
I'd heard of this game quite a few times but never payed much attention. After playing Skyrim though, I'm interested in playing more RPGs, especially if it's similar in any way to Skyrim. So I'm sort of interested in seeing how this one turns out.

Ken Rolston, who worked on Oblivion and Morrowind, is involved w/ this game.
So is Todd McFarlane of Spawn comic-book fame, for art direction.
The lead loot designer is Ian Frazier, who worked on Titan Quest.
And you got R.A. Salvatore, famous writer, working on the story and lore for the game.

I hope it turns out great. They got a dream-team working on this thing.

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #19 on: Tuesday, December 13, 2011, 09:20:30 PM »
I wasn't interested in this until I started seeing the recent interviews. Honestly, the title itself was kind of a turn-off; I mean "Reckoning" it's kinda generic and "Kingdoms of Amalur" sounds like an intricate turn-based affair along the lines of the Disciples or Might & Magic series.

When I checked out the videos I realized it's very different. It's an action RPG! Right up my alley ;)

Offline W7RE

• Post-aholic
« Reply #20 on: Tuesday, December 13, 2011, 10:11:12 PM »
From all the stuff I've seen so far, it looks sort of like an Elder Scrolls game, but with a heavy action based 3rd person combat system. Sort of like God of War's combat.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #21 on: Tuesday, December 13, 2011, 10:21:08 PM »
From the IGN interview w/ Sean Bean.

Changing The Wider Fate of the World

Sean Bean: We've got six different factions in the world, and as you… play through the factions, and they recognise the ability that you have to change what was once their fate, then you can by the choices that you make, steer an entire group of people and a portion of the world that they belong in, one way or the other, based on how you decide to make those choices.

On a smaller scale, at the very beginning, you'll find an injured girl on the ground and you have the different ways to solve that quest – you can go and buy her the medicine that she needs, create the medicine that she needs through alchemy, or steal the medicine. So, the different ways that you solve those kinds of problems will elicit different reactions from NPCs in that part of the world.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #22 on: Tuesday, December 13, 2011, 10:25:06 PM »
From all the stuff I've seen so far, it looks sort of like an Elder Scrolls game, but with a heavy action based 3rd person combat system. Sort of like God of War's combat.

When I checked out the videos I realized it's very different. It's an action RPG! Right up my alley ;)
These are BOTH the impressions I've gotten when reading info on the game and from some vids I've seen.

I've always loved ES style of games [open-world filled w/ quests w/ decision making stuff]...
...But man - I always wish they had the loot of a ARPG like Diablo.
I really dug the combat of Darksiders, so yeah - the combat looks sweet for KOA:R, too.

I just hope they pull all of this off very well b/c there's so many elements from different games and genres being blended here...

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #23 on: Wednesday, December 14, 2011, 02:48:58 AM »
They certainly have some big names in the industry and outside it, a novel idea, a real-time combat system, and an open world. These ingredients can be the formula for a great game with an immersive world, or they can weigh heavily on each other and break the game's balance. If they do it right they have the makings of an epic gaming experience. I hope they can pull it off.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #24 on: Wednesday, December 14, 2011, 07:26:48 AM »
I hadn't given it any attention either. But now maybe I will... might be something I'd keep an eye on.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #25 on: Thursday, December 15, 2011, 04:21:25 PM »

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #26 on: Saturday, December 24, 2011, 10:10:43 AM »

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #27 on: Saturday, January 07, 2012, 07:35:45 AM »
Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning PC -> System Requirements revealed.

Official Reckoning System Requirements

Below are the minimum and recommended system requirements for Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning on the PC.

MINIMUM SYSTEM REQUIREMENTS

Windows XP with Service Pack 3
    Windows Vista with Service Pack 2
    Windows 7 with Service Pack 1

CPU:
    Intel Core2 Duo (or equivalent) running at 2.2GHz or greater
    AMD Athlon 64 X2 5000+ (or equivalent) running at 2.6GHz or greater

RAM:
    At least 1 GB for Windows XP
    At least 2 GB for Windows Vista and Windows 7

Disc Drive:
    CD/DVD ROM drive (required for installation only), 8x or faster CD/DVD drive

Hard Drive:
    At least 10.5 GB of free space

Video Adapter:
    NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GT 512MB or better
    ATI Radeon HD3650 512MB or better
    Supporting Pixel Shader 3.0
    Minimum Resolution Supported is 1280x720

DirectX:
    9.0c Compatible

RECOMMENDED SYSTEM REQUIREMENTS

Windows XP with Service Pack 3
    Windows Vista with Service Pack 2
    Windows 7 with Service Pack 1

CPU:
    Intel Core 2 Quad (or equivalent) running at 2.4GHz or greater
    AMD Phenom X4 (or equivalent) running at 2.6GHz or greater

RAM:
    At least 3 GB for Windows XP
    At least 4 GB for Windows Vista and Windows 7

Disc Drive:
    CD/DVD ROM drive (required for installation only), 8x or faster CD/DVD drive

Hard Drive:
    At least 10.5 GB of free space

Video Adapter:
    NVIDIA GeForce GTX260 1GB RAM or better
    ATI Radeon HD4850 1GB RAM or better
    Supporting Pixel Shader 3.0

DirectX:
    9.0c Compatible

You will also need an internet connection for product activation/registration.

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #28 on: Tuesday, January 17, 2012, 12:50:38 PM »
Demo now available on Steam! Downloading it as I type ;)

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #29 on: Tuesday, January 17, 2012, 03:47:23 PM »
Demo now available on Steam! Downloading it as I type ;)

Downloading DEMO from Origin.
I have already got this game on pre-order since around X-Mas 2011, BTW.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #30 on: Tuesday, January 17, 2012, 07:47:23 PM »
I'll be talking about the KOA: Reckoning PC Demo, of course.

The graphics technically do NOT look that great. This is probably my biggest complaint w/ the game demo. Not a lot of graphical options or anything here, in the in-game menus in the DEMO.
Though, I love the artistic style and look of the game.

The game on my PC runs FLAWLESS. No problems, no hang-ups, nothing. This is optimized...and it runs VERY WELL.

The combat feels great w/ the X360 controller. Feels like The Darksiders, in terms of the style of combat w/ how it feels and whatnot.

For weapons, you have two weapons you can equip - a main weapon and a secondary weapon. You could have say a sword and a staff; dagger and a bow; etc etc. Whatever you want.

You can configure your controls how you like on the KB/mouse. Unfortunately, the DEMO does not allow you to configure the Movement and Cam controls [Forward, Back, Strafe Left, Strafe Right] - it's stuck on WSAD for Movement; Up, Down, Left, and Right arrows control the Camera.
Though, oddly enough, you CAN configure just about everything else for your controls in the DEMO.
You can reconfigure the Movement Controls in the FINAL version of the game, one of the dev's confirmed.

The game is VERY verbose and has TONS of dialogue and story to it. The voice-acting seems pretty good, as well.

Conversations w/ NPC's often have NUMEROUS topics to them. When given options on topics to ask about, you get the list you can scroll through vertically like most RPG games - i.e. Dragon Age: Origins, BG2, etc.
Though, when you are faced w/ a decision-making element of some kind, they'll throw the Mass Effect style wheel at you.

The Inventory interface is quite clean and VERY well organized. It's all broken by categories and sub-categories. You can expand and collapse the sub-categories, as well. Oh, also they have a JUNK category! :)

The FINAL Version of this game can't come out soon enough to suit me. Where is Feb 7th? :P

Seriously - RPG gamers, just give this DEMO a whirl and see what you think of it yourself.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Last Edit: Friday, January 27, 2012, 08:23:42 PM by MysterD »

Offline MysterD

• Forum god

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #33 on: Wednesday, January 25, 2012, 04:38:55 PM »
Youtube -> Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning - Music & Sound Dev Diary.

EDIT:
ALL versions of KOA:R have Achievements somewhere.

Reckoning has an in-game achievement system that is the same regardless of what version you are playing.
Where the difference comes in is where you can view the list of achievements.
For the PC version, you can view it in-game (and on Steam).
For the XBox 360 and PS3 versions, you'll be able to view your full achievements list on your PlayStation Network and/or XBox Live profiles.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #34 on: Thursday, February 02, 2012, 03:46:09 PM »

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #35 on: Friday, February 03, 2012, 03:19:54 PM »
Activated KOA:R and Bonus Content over Origin for Pre-Load [game comes out next Tuesday].
Got KOA: Reckoning downloaded from Amazon [nice!], since Origin been getting hammered.
Getting a pop-up message on sign-in to Origin saying that there has been "connection issues."

Been having troubles installing KOA:R, since it is forcing the install over Origin, even once DL'ed from Amazon.
Error "100" or something.
CTD (Crash to Desktop) on install every time.

Now I remember after Bioshock 1 PC, why I often normally do NOT buy games for Pre-Order, Pre-Load, or on Release Date - b/c the servers for activation, client issues, and dealing w/ the DRM can be a real pain in the neck.
It's like rolling a loaded pair of dice, all w/ 1's plastered on each side of the die.
Royal crap-shoot.

EDIT:
Did the entire DL and install in one shot though Origin - got it DL'ed and installed fine, this time.
Maybe there was an issue w/ Amazon Download Service's installer?

« Last Edit: Friday, February 03, 2012, 04:52:28 PM by MysterD »

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #36 on: Friday, February 03, 2012, 04:06:52 PM »
IGN -> 9.0 (of 10) = Written review.; Video Review.

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #37 on: Saturday, February 04, 2012, 11:31:37 PM »
Gotta love the gaming press.  They heap praise on whatever their current darlings are, only to bash them a short while later to set apart a new darling.  Who do they say is fickle again?

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #38 on: Sunday, February 05, 2012, 07:34:51 PM »
USAToday -> Interview w/ Curt Schilling - Reckoning 2 announced at the end.

Q: What's next?

The massively multiplayer online game is in the works, (and) we are working on Reckoning 2, doing a lot of groundwork. We believe the game and intellectual property will be incredibly successful.
« Last Edit: Sunday, February 05, 2012, 08:05:33 PM by MysterD »

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
Re: Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning -> Update: Reckoning 2 announced
« Reply #39 on: Sunday, February 05, 2012, 08:10:44 PM »
Game was released last week.

ANNOUNCE SEQUEL

I dont know which meme image to use.