Author Topic: Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning/Re-Reckoning  (Read 31221 times)

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
  • OWNet 4 Eternity & Beyond
Re: Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning -> Update: Reckoning 2 announced
« Reply #40 on: Sunday, February 05, 2012, 08:26:21 PM »
Game was released last week.

ANNOUNCE SEQUEL

I dont know which meme image to use.

Didn't Mass Effect and Dragon Age basically do the same thing and flat-out say "they were going to be trilogies"? :P

EDIT:
@Idol, just use all the meme images. :P

Offline MysterD

• Forum god

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #42 on: Monday, February 06, 2012, 09:43:37 PM »
It's to be released today in North America! Enjoy dudes, I'll have to wait till 10 FEB.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #43 on: Monday, February 06, 2012, 10:39:04 PM »
It's to be released today in North America! Enjoy dudes, I'll have to wait till 10 FEB.

If you have the game pre-loaded and installed [like I do] on Origin, it's good to go.
(I bought it on Pre-Order from Amazon DL, a bit ago)
Release date check has been unlocked... :D

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #44 on: Monday, February 06, 2012, 11:40:49 PM »
Yeah, I got it from GamersGate, so I have to wait until 10 FEB before they'll even give me the key so I can start the pre-load.

Not really an issue, I don't mind waiting so I can finish Uncharted 3 in the mean time! ;D

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #46 on: Wednesday, February 08, 2012, 12:32:49 AM »
Ouch. Sessler was quite heartbroken with Reckoning. He had really high expectations.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #47 on: Wednesday, February 08, 2012, 07:38:56 AM »
Game looks fantastic. Coming off of so much Skyrim (which is beautiful, don't misunderstand, just... realistic-looking, with lots of muted colors, not to mention the icy and often grey landscape), this just seems fantastic because it's so colorful and—I hate to say it—WoW-like. I'm tempted every time I see it just because it pops with such bright and colorful art. It looks really fun.

天才的な閃きと平均以下のテクニックやな。 課長有野

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #48 on: Wednesday, February 08, 2012, 08:55:41 AM »
Yeah I watched the gametrailers review and I'm pretty much set on playing this now.

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #49 on: Wednesday, February 08, 2012, 10:34:04 AM »
Thanks to the magic of VPN, I was able to unlock Reckoning a little ahead of schedule (or right on schedule if you don't believe in absurd regional restrictions).

Now that I'm playing the final game the demo was a pretty good indication of what to expect (minus the technical bugs), they've polished it quite a bit and cleaned up some graphical bugs.

If I were to compare Reckoning to any other titles I'd say it's a cross between Fable and Gothic. It feels like it was built with Gothic's design plan in mind: a MMO for singleplayer lovers.

It's definitely fun and really brings out a "finally" moment for me and my brother "an RPG that's not turn-based or with dice-rolls!" The real-time combat makes all the difference.

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #50 on: Wednesday, February 08, 2012, 01:16:41 PM »
The game seems to be pretty good, but the art direction and visuals are just so awful. That is like generic game 101.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #51 on: Wednesday, February 08, 2012, 03:45:43 PM »
The game seems to be pretty good, but the art direction and visuals are just so awful. That is like generic game 101.
I got almost 4 hours, so far yesterday.

I think on the technical side, the game just doesn't look that great and at times looks generic - that sounds just like the original DA:O, actually.
On the other hand - the game is always in the 57-60 frames department. No matter what, w/ everything maxed-out on 1920x1080 and things turned up on the Nvidia Panel - this game technically runs smooth & rock solid on this rig (i7 950 at 3.04 Ghz, 1 GB GF GTX 560 Ti, 8 GB RAM, Win 7).

Damn, the combat is bloody awesome. This is what I been waiting for on combat. It looks and feels like something out of an action game - like say The Darksiders. With the 360 controller - when you swing that mallet and slam enemies w/ it, you can hear and feel that vibration. It's awesome. And the fae-blade & those ringed-weapons that you toss - awesome, awesome, awesome.

I wish there was an extra key or button-press to allow to zoom the cam in and out. Sometimes, the cam feels like it zooms too far OUT when there's a bunch of enemies on-screen.
At least you can hit the alternate camera angle, which usually flips the cam a bit behind the player [over their shoulders] if the cam's far away.

Annoyance - put the character movement to Up, Down, Left, Right arrow cursors, for some reason, it ALSO puts the CAM controls there. So, that's one reason I'm using the 360 pad. I don't like WSAD for movement, since I'm a lefty.

Another thing on PC version - when I boot the game from either shortcut or EXE file, it always boots Origin up, too.

I really like the voice-acting [which is very good] and the lure in the [optional] dialogue trees.

Regardless - I really like the game quite a bit and still need to give it more time. Even at [almost] 4 hours, feel like I've barely scratched the surface here.
« Last Edit: Wednesday, February 08, 2012, 04:10:43 PM by MysterD »

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #52 on: Wednesday, February 08, 2012, 09:46:11 PM »
Totally! haha It kinda looks like those generic game clones on iOS (quite a few by Gameloft).

The effects are great, the way they flourish as you attack, though some can be a little over-the-top. Visually though I think everyone expected so much more with Todd McFarlane at the helm; especially after we saw how Joe Madureira pulled off the visual style of Darksiders. On the bright side the game performance is pretty good even on aging systems.

Reckoning is a good jumping-off point for a new IP. Although Sessler might argue it could have been so much better, and I can agree that it's not quite as groundbreaking as other IP's when they first launched i.e. Mass Effect, Fable. That said the overall production quality is great and the game is consistent within its scope (it doesn't feel like lower-budget production like Gothic).

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #53 on: Thursday, February 09, 2012, 07:19:05 PM »
Is there a place where I can actually STORE items & equipment in this game?  :o
IS there any way we EXPAND our Inventory size?

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #54 on: Saturday, February 11, 2012, 02:05:01 AM »
Is there a place where I can actually STORE items & equipment in this game?  :o
IS there any way we EXPAND our Inventory size?
I will explain..

(click to show/hide)

No idea about the overall inventory size though. Mine is just 70, always.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #55 on: Saturday, February 11, 2012, 07:38:16 AM »
I will explain..

(click to show/hide)

No idea about the overall inventory size though. Mine is just 70, always.

Thanks, X. :)
I'mma go have to go find that quest...I need storage!
I feel like I'm always destroying equipment, salvaging equipment, or selling it to vendors!

I'm about 12 hours in...and I just can't stop playing this game.
Barely touched the main quest, so far.
The lore [mostly in the dialogue from NPC's] is really good.
The combat puts every other RPG to bloody shame - love the combat.

This game is just loaded w/ things to find in the gameworld; plenty of NPC's w/ quests to give [which seem to be littered throughout towns and the gameworld itself]; and areas to explore.

This game's REALLY good.

If only the graphics were technically better; and at least some of the game's quests and graphical look was less generic.

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #56 on: Saturday, February 11, 2012, 07:59:47 AM »
Honestly, it is a very polished, well-thought-out game. It just feels like there are bits and pieces that could be improved perhaps in a sequel. Overall it's a great starting point for 38 Studios.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #57 on: Saturday, February 11, 2012, 08:21:55 AM »
Honestly, it is a very polished, well-thought-out game. It just feels like there are bits and pieces that could be improved perhaps in a sequel. Overall it's a great starting point for 38 Studios.
Agreed 100%.

I tried adding KOA:R to my Steam list as a Non-Steam Game...and dammit, the Steam Overlay WON'T Come Up. I wanna take screenies in-game, dammit!
Does Origin block-out Steam overlay now or something?

XFire hasn't added KOA:R to their list...yet, or else I'd use them for screenie-taking.
UGH!

And Origin doesn't have screen-shot taking feature on their service currently...
UGH!

EDIT:
Voila!
Raptr has support for Screenshots and KOA:R is working w/ Raptr's overlay.
Nice, I'll take screenies there. :D
« Last Edit: Saturday, February 11, 2012, 09:44:41 AM by MysterD »

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #58 on: Saturday, February 11, 2012, 08:29:09 AM »
Thanks for all the feedback on this.  Looks like my next action RPG to get after it gets cheap, and hopefully after the burnout of playing Dragons Age 1, Mass Effect 2 and Skyrim wears off.  Haven't even started on Skyrim yet, actually.  I'm on Bioware burnout right now, ping-ponging between DAO and ME2.   :)

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #59 on: Saturday, February 11, 2012, 08:32:40 AM »
One touch I really like w/ this game - when crafting your very own weapon [Blacksmithing skill] w/ some components, you can actually name that weapon whatever the heck you want.
It's a nice little touch, I must say. :)

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #60 on: Saturday, February 11, 2012, 11:12:30 PM »
I just read the ArsTechnica review and it's a pretty good look at the highs and lows of KoA Reckoning.

Summary:
Story and characters: Meh, bland.
Action and combat: Awesome!

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #61 on: Sunday, February 12, 2012, 06:58:29 AM »
I just read the ArsTechnica review and it's a pretty good look at the highs and lows of KoA Reckoning.

Summary:
Story and characters: Meh, bland.
Action and combat: Awesome!

Yeah, I wish the characters had more personality to them, as well.
There is no shortage of lure and back-story from NPC's, though - that's for damn sure.

I've barely touched the Main Quest, since the game opened-up [after the Tutorial]. I've mostly been roaming around and doing the Side Quests.
I think I got like over 20 of them still pending. :-x
That sounds very familiar, actually - Skyrim, anyone? :P

X, I did find that area you mentioned...
(click to show/hide)
:D
I so needed that. :D

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #62 on: Sunday, February 12, 2012, 07:56:08 AM »
Thanks for posting that review link.  It makes me want the game even more.

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #63 on: Sunday, February 12, 2012, 08:46:44 AM »
Thanks for posting that review link.  It makes me want the game even more.
Hehe any time, Cobra ;D

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #64 on: Sunday, February 12, 2012, 10:13:46 PM »
Y'know what's odd? The game is starting to remind me of Phantasy Star Online, not the setting of course, but when I first unlocked the "timed" attacks (press the attack button at certain timed intervals) I instantly thought of PSO. Now, every dungeon/cave I visit makes me think of PSO's dungeons/caves too! Something about the game's structure really brings back PSO for me.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #65 on: Tuesday, February 28, 2012, 07:34:44 PM »
You know what's annoying?

When the game asks me after dying a bunch of times in a row, if I want the difficulty lowered.

Sure, this idea might be good for no0bs - but also I wish for gamers like myself, there was a way to turn this crap off in the Game's Option Menu, so it would stop bloody asking me this! The answer is likely going to be "NO!" I'm gonna get though the area at its current difficulty, dammit!

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #66 on: Tuesday, February 28, 2012, 09:01:33 PM »
You know what's annoying?

People who still say 'n00bs'? :P

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #67 on: Tuesday, February 28, 2012, 09:04:30 PM »
Haha, Pug wins.

天才的な閃きと平均以下のテクニックやな。 課長有野

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Last Edit: Thursday, March 01, 2012, 08:55:52 PM by MysterD »

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
Re: Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning -> Story-Driven DLC announced
« Reply #69 on: Wednesday, March 07, 2012, 09:07:50 PM »
After a little over 70 hours w/ this game, it [The Main Quest] is finally complete...

(click to show/hide)

Regardless, still really enjoyed the game - it was really good, none-the-less.
It really needs more quest variety; better art direction; and characters need more personality in a sequel, to really become something truly take it to another level.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
Re: Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning -> Story-Driven DLC announced
« Reply #70 on: Friday, March 23, 2012, 03:47:07 PM »
Ahhh, hell...looks like I'm gonna have to keep my eyes on that Dead Kel DLC when it gets on sale on Origin or Amazon DL service...

From GameBanshee's review.
Upon arriving, you'll quickly discover that the island isn't uninhabited. A group of shipwreck survivors have banded together to form a small community. Protected from Dead Kel's influence by a god they call Akara, they're a pious lot and, as usual with religious people in videogames, things are not quite what they seem. Though the story never strays from its central goal of killing Dead Kel and leaving the island, there are enough twists to keep things interesting for the 10-odd hours it should take to finish the DLC.

Despite my list of quibbles, "The Legend of Dead Kel" is definitely one of the better DLCs I've played in some time. It's got a great theme and look, the story is engaging enough, and I think it executes better on Reckoning's core gameplay than the original game does. While it isn't quite as cerebral as, say, Fallout: New Vegas' add-ons, and I have trouble imagining anyone who needs even more content out of Reckoning, for those interested, Dead Kel's legend is definitely worth hearing.

10 hours or so on a DLC?
Now that's more like it! :D

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Last Edit: Monday, April 30, 2012, 04:04:39 PM by MysterD »

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART

Offline sirean_syan

• Global Moderator
  • Post-aholic
Re: Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning -> Update: 38 Studios in possible $$ trouble?
« Reply #74 on: Friday, May 25, 2012, 12:46:57 PM »
There's some pretty crazy management assumption in there. They need to sell sell 3 million copies to be a success. 3 million. That's blockbuster territory with huge established franchises. I think I remember hearing that Mass Effect 2 didn't even break the 3 million mark.

Instead, they sold only 1.2 million. For a first game, I think that's pretty respectable but when you budget with such lofty expectation you're going to get nailed hard. It shows such a lack of understanding of the game world that you have to wonder what other stupid crazy was going on (or maybe you don't. With all this info coming out it's probably well documented). It's like all those MMO developers who saw Warcraft and assumed they could just get into the market with anything... wait, it is one of those situations since this was all supposed to become another MMO.

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #75 on: Friday, May 25, 2012, 12:58:48 PM »
During a Rhode Island press conference this afternoon, Governor Lincoln Chafee said that 38 Studios ran into such dire financial trouble in part because Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning failed to live up to expectations.

"The game failed," Chafee said, claiming that in order to break even, the game needed to sell more than 3 million copies, and it unfortunately did not come close to hitting that lofty goal.

It's unclear where the Governor received this fiscal information from - Curt Schilling recently claimed on Twitter that "Reckoning, 38 Studios first game, has outperformed EA's projections by selling 1.2mm copies in its first 90 days."

There's seems to have been some confusion at least internally as to what the objectives were. Nonetheless, 1.2m sales is pretty damn good especially for a new IP.

This sales craze where a game has to sell at least 3m copies in order to be "successful" really started with the Call of Duty console madness. Suddenly the standard shot up and everyone needs to meet that in order to be viable, let alone successful. When Mirror's Edge broke the 1m mark EA still considered it a failure despite critical acclaim.

It's just a shame that the studio ran into such financial troubles.

Thanks for the generic art direction McFarlane! Let's blame it all on Todd :P hehe

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #76 on: Sunday, May 27, 2012, 04:17:01 PM »
There's some pretty crazy management assumption in there. They need to sell sell 3 million copies to be a success. 3 million. That's blockbuster territory with huge established franchises. I think I remember hearing that Mass Effect 2 didn't even break the 3 million mark.

Instead, they sold only 1.2 million. For a first game, I think that's pretty respectable but when you budget with such lofty expectation you're going to get nailed hard. It shows such a lack of understanding of the game world that you have to wonder what other stupid crazy was going on (or maybe you don't. With all this info coming out it's probably well documented). It's like all those MMO developers who saw Warcraft and assumed they could just get into the market with anything... wait, it is one of those situations since this was all supposed to become another MMO.

Honestly, it kind of sounds like something shady may have been going on and/or they are just complete idiots.  I don't doubt that Curt Schilling has no idea what he's doing off a pitcher's mound, but they had a pretty sweet deal going in with the State of RI and they did sell a lot of copies here, it just doesn't really make sense.  

Rhode Island issued them a $75 million loan (at I'm sure, very low rate) in order to relocate to RI and create a certain number of jobs in the state (this is a stupid idea for a video game company).  They buy out Big Huge Games and the game that they've been developing (KoA:Reckoning), alter it slightly to put it into this universe that they've created, release it and sell 1.2 million copies.   And then they default on a payment for said lone (just over a million dollars), lay off all their employees and shut down.

Seriously, where'd all the money go?  They've been operating for six years and only have KoA to show for it...and they bought that out almost completed in something like 2009.  How much could they really have been throwing at their MMO considering they have nothing to show for it at this point?  And then all of a sudden their cashflow situation is fucked just as they should be having money coming in...so they miss the loan payment, suspend paying their employees in order to make it, still don't, somehow scrounge together the cash for it and shut down. BUT it's now come to light that the company medical insurance ran out basically at the same time the layoff announcement was made.  There's probably regional differences here, but with every medical insurance plan I've been a part of, you have a lead in payment - so, if you're covered and quit/laid off/company goes under, you usually have 30 or so days where you're still fully covered...because insurance is paid in advance. I could be wrong on this, but it sounds like they didn't pay previously and it came to light that it was expiring as all the shit was hitting the fan (the revelation that the plan was expiring was basically leaked out by a doctor during a visit before the company told employees).

Oh, and 38 Studios had some sort of relocation program in effect from when the company moved from Mass. to RI and employees involved are now finding out that they're saddled with double mortgages.

And yet, most of the statements from the company and the employees are pointing the finger at the state for not giving them more money. Bailouts are pretty polarizing...but bailouts for companies that poorly managed and also don't produce anything?  Wtf?

The sad thing is it sounds like the employees got royally fucked over.  Well, the employees, the government of RI, and the tax payers.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
Re: Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning -> Update: 38 Studios + BHG = ALL LAID OFF
« Reply #77 on: Monday, May 28, 2012, 07:50:03 AM »
Joystiq -> Some info on BHG about KOA: Reckoning 1 and 2.

Reckoning 1
Speaking to former Big Huge Games employees, we asked what they felt was the most inaccurate portrayal of the 38 Studios implosion by the media. They expressed that Reckoning's development being tied to 38 Studios Rhode Island has been the biggest gaffe.

Former BHG employees repeatedly tell Joystiq that 38 Rhode Island did give info and guidance about the Amalur IP, but it didn't produce any assets for Reckoning. In terms of the day-to-day work, the Rhode Island team "didn't work on it at all."

"Reckoning was developed with EA publishing money, NOT Rhode Island tax dollars," a former BHG employee told us. "It had nothing to do with the $50 million dollars from RI. That money went directly to the MMO project."

Reckoning 2
Elements tested for the sequel were higher graphics quality across the board, no loading screens between zones, expanded and improved combat animations, fewer branching quests and greater effect on the world by players.

"We had a good base to work from, and it was going to be all about improving everything," said a source who asked to remain anonymous, given that there's still the slightest chance the project could be salvaged. "We listened carefully to fans and critics and were going to implement everything we possibly could."

Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning, which -- despite what RI Gov. Lincoln Chafee was advised as being a "failure" -- did have a successful launch for a new IP, with 1.2 million units sold over 90 days. We understand that Electronic Arts, the publisher of Reckoning, did pass on the sequel due to executive politics and 38 Studios was shopping around the title.

About shifting a game [Ascendant] and working it into another property [the game that became KOA: Reckoning]
At this point, given signifiant uncertainty about the production tech and Amalur IP, the best a reformed Big Huge Games team could manage is making an RPG with a similar feel but using a different intellectual property (think Demon's Souls to Dark Souls). The team has done it before: when purchased by 38 Studios from THQ, it converted its "Ascendent" RPG to fit the Amalur world.

"Creating Reckoning wasn't a matter of simply replacing some textures and doing a search/replace on names and such," said a former BHG employee, explaining the conversion required new environments, animations, characters and voice acting. There was a foundation to work with from "Ascendent." It appears the company will have another foundation to work from with Reckoning if the team can reassemble.

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
Re: Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning -> Update: 8 page article on 38 Studios & BHG
« Reply #78 on: Wednesday, November 07, 2012, 12:29:44 AM »
Rhode Island accuses 38 Studios of fraud in failed $75M loan deal

Suit says Kingdoms of Amalur developer knew it was "destined to fail."

This mess is still rolling around.

Offline nickclone

• Veteran
Re: Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning -> Update: 8 page article on 38 Studios & BHG
« Reply #79 on: Sunday, January 18, 2015, 07:59:28 PM »
I have been watching videos of this game for quite some time now, bit the bullet and bought it. I'm only level 3 and playing on hard (heard the game is stupidly easy on normal), but I'm completely in love with this game. I only have 2 gripes (both minor or not game breaking): the inventory screen is horrible, absolutely terrible. Its almost as if the developers have never played an RPG before. Secondly, the load times for changing areas can be a bit long sometimes. I'm playing on the 360 and this might be fixed by installing the game, but I don't have room on the HD for it.

Anyways, I love this game and I wish it would get a sequel. It most likely won't though.