Author Topic: Council vs. the N-word  (Read 6009 times)

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
Council vs. the N-word
« on: Wednesday, February 28, 2007, 01:16:02 AM »
Gah

The city council is set to approve a permanent moratorium tomorrow on the use of the N-word in New York City.

The resolution will have no legal weight or enforcement power, but will merely convey the legislative body's strong condemnation of the word - no matter who says it or how it's used.

"The N-word is a friend of hate, a friend of slavery, a friend of segregation and a friend of discrimination," Roy Miller, a lawyer from Atlanta, said at a hearing yesterday held by the Council's Civil Rights Committee.

The committee passed the resolution by a 5-to-0 vote.

First, if there is no legal weight or enforcement power (hello, First Amendment) why are you wasting your time on this useless bullshit? I'm fairly certain there are more important things you could be dealing with other than "feel good" stuff like this.

I laughed when they mention the 5-to-0 vote. Its one of those cheap tricks politicians use to get shit passed. Whos going to vote against this and be branded a racist when elections come around. Its the same reason they name bills shit like "The Children Need Love Act" so anyone that votes against it they can put "My opponent voted against loving children. Do you want to vote for a child hater?"

Also, does anyone else notice the irony of this? Isn't it rather racist to only condemn one specific racial slur? "You cant say the n-word, you stupid honky."

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
Re: Council vs. the N-word
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday, February 28, 2007, 01:31:35 AM »
The word has virtually lost all original meaning anyway, at least in major cities.  Black people use it amongst themselves more often than breathing or blinking, and even white guys around here will use it in jest.  If anything, it should be decreed that the word is now safe to use for everybody and nobody should give a flying fuck about it.

天才的な閃きと平均以下のテクニックやな。 課長有野

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday, February 28, 2007, 03:24:01 AM »
I think it should be outlawed only because black people react badly when it is used infront of them, even though the context is obviously not racist.

Yet it is hard not to mistakenly use it because it such a part of the black culture. Every rap song has the word nigger used in it at least once, and like Que said, it has lost the racist meaning.

I wanted to post earlier about something interesting that happened. I was talking to my grandfather who had just come back from Virgina where he had been visiting my uncle, Moni. He said,"Monoo took us sight seeing to New York where I saw lots of Negroes dancing on the street for money. Negroes really know how to dance well and are such jovial people."

I was taken back a little and said,"I don't think you are allowed to use that word, because it is taken as racist."

He basically was surprised, and asked me why. He said on TV they use it all the time haha, and that's what they call each other. He basically said,"A Negro is a Negro, what else do I call them" 

I can imagine if someone overheard him, they'd take him for a racist old man heh.

and even white guys around here will use it in jest

I still doubt they'd use them infront of other black people, but I get what you are saying.

I think either you should outlaw everyone from using it, or not have a problem with anyone using it as long as they aren't using it in a racist context.

Offline poomcgoo

• Poster Child
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday, February 28, 2007, 08:13:08 AM »
Good thing I don't live in NYC, right!?  Am I right here?!

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday, February 28, 2007, 08:22:13 AM »
I can put it more simply -- in my lifetime, I have maybe once heard a white person use nigger as a derogatory term.  99.99% of the time I've heard it used, it's been as a term of endearment, a greeting, term of shock or surprise, or just an arbitrary term of emphasis.  "Nigga what?  Nigga please!"  "'Sup my nigga?"  "Nigga had that fool runnin' so fast."

Generally the only time I truly see the word used as a negative is when black people are attempting to whine about the "oh, everybody hates us" thing, or when somebody uses it on TV to perpetuate that stereotype of the oppressed black man.  And don't get me wrong, I'm not saying there aren't areas of the country where the word is probably still used that way and where lots of negativity is still common, I just don't think it applies to urban areas like the one where I live.  I don't know any oppressed black people and nobody here uses that word in that sense.  There are plenty of other negative terms for black folks (as there are for all races), but the n-word is easily the least of them in my view, which is one of the reasons why I find this stupid.  The other is, as has been said, you can't actually do anything about it.  So what's the fucking point?

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday, February 28, 2007, 08:56:30 AM »
I can put it more simply -- in my lifetime, I have maybe once heard a white person use nigger as a derogatory term.  99.99% of the time I've heard it used, it's been as a term of endearment, a greeting, term of shock or surprise, or just an arbitrary term of emphasis.  "Nigga what?  Nigga please!"  "'Sup my nigga?"  "Nigga had that fool runnin' so fast."

Was it just me, or was that really funny?

Offline iPPi

• Roar!
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday, February 28, 2007, 01:24:31 PM »
What a waste of time and money to do something like this.

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday, February 28, 2007, 06:49:36 PM »
No word should be outlawed in a country that values freedom of speech.  (In ours, it cannot be outlawed.)  The test of this freedom is not mainstream-acceptable speech, but just the opposite.

Besides, sticks and stones . . .

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday, February 28, 2007, 06:58:11 PM »
I can put it more simply -- in my lifetime, I have maybe once heard a white person use nigger as a derogatory term.

Well my friend, I think we should spend more time together.  I'll blow your mind.

On that note, I think we're missing the important part of this.  Imagine you live in New York.  You had a property assessment a few years ago and your property taxes went through the roof.  You think 'well, crime's down...I guess it's all kind of worth it', and then you read this and see where your money is really going.  Fake laws that they make but don't enforce because they know they can't. 

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday, February 28, 2007, 07:11:13 PM »
Its not even a law, thats the sick part. Its just a thing they voted on "Yeah, nigger is a bad word. We don't think people should use it." Well thanks for the update! Next you should vote on whether you think ice cream tastes good.

Its the same thing as that "We condemn the war in Iraq" bullshit congress or whatever voted on. It doesnt mean anything, doesnt change anything...they just wanted to say it. By wasting their time and our money.

Offline ender

« Reply #10 on: Thursday, March 01, 2007, 06:21:36 PM »
You guys are my niggers.

Oh, I mean niggas.

My niggas.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #11 on: Thursday, March 01, 2007, 07:11:40 PM »
It's also part of the best lines from television ever, courtesy of Samuel L. and The Boondocks.

On texting and cellphones (this isn't quite a direct quote... sort of a Frankenstein quote):

I mean, why would anyone in their right mind spend fifteen minutes tryin' to type some shit they could've called and said in five seconds?  Plus, it involves typing with your thumbs!  Which I just don't approve of.  Fuck, I don't know about you, but I don't have time to read nothin' that a motherfucker typed with they thumbs.  Fun Fact: Nothing typed by someone's thumbs has ever been important.  It's all just Nigga Technology anyway.  And dont start trippin', callin' me a racist and shit because I mean nigga as a general term for ignorant motherfuckers.  And cellphones just ain't nothin' but Nigga Technology, lettin' dumb niggas talk to other dumb niggas about dumb nigga shit!

If I've offended anyone... I don't actually care.

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #12 on: Thursday, March 01, 2007, 07:16:11 PM »
Porch monkey....

Its cool, I'm taking it back.

Offline scottws

• Gold Member
    • Facebook Me
« Reply #13 on: Friday, April 06, 2007, 05:01:48 AM »
Wow, what a complete waste of time.  What's the point.  It's unenforceable and it's not going to stop anything.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
  • OWNet 4 Eternity & Beyond
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday, April 10, 2007, 05:24:31 PM »
Porch monkey....

Its cool, I'm taking it back.

ROFLMAO @ Clerks 2 quote.

In Redman's new video for "Put It Down", around 41 seconds into the song, they show a bunch of people boycotting the usage of the "N-Word." Redman is in there picketing, as well, as a prank -- then him and a whole bunch of guys leave the crowd; some even chase after him, heh! Funny satire.

Now, in the "album version" (dirty version) of that "Put It Down" song (from his new album Red Gone Wild), he ends pretty much almost every line w/ the "N-Word" in that actual song. He also did this rhyme-scheme in a song on his last album w/ a song called "Muh-Fucka" ("motherfucker", obviously), in which he shows the context of the word is pretty much everything. In these 2 songs, there's pretty much no meaning in the word in this context, even though old meanings for the word will still always remain b/c of what it has been used for in the past -- something, no matter what, can never be changed. Limp Bizkit even did somethin' similar w/ a song, using the "F-word" in every line just to show how meaningless the word can actually be.

Quote from: Que
99.99% of the time I've heard it used, it's been as a term of endearment, a greeting, term of shock or surprise, or just an arbitrary term of emphasis.  "Nigga what?  Nigga please!"  "'Sup my nigga?"  "Nigga had that fool runnin' so fast."
Did you -- and any of y'all, for that matter -- ever hear when Howard Stern actually did his parody version of the DMX rap song "My N's" on the radio???

I'm sure he probably got fined up the asshole for it, but I don't recall if he got knocked off the air and suspended for it. Anybody recall...????

« Last Edit: Tuesday, April 10, 2007, 06:01:11 PM by MysterD »