Author Topic: The SeaMonkey Project  (Read 2527 times)

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
The SeaMonkey Project
« on: Thursday, March 01, 2007, 10:14:53 AM »
The SeaMonkey Project
The SeaMonkey project is a community effort to deliver production-quality releases of code derived from the application formerly known as "Mozilla Application Suite". Whereas the main focus of the Mozilla Foundation is on Mozilla Firefox and Mozilla Thunderbird, our group of dedicated volunteers works to ensure that you can have "everything but the kitchen sink" — and have it stable enough for corporate use.

Has anyone tried this yet? It seems like a promising suite. I only use a browser though, I don't even use any e-mail clients or IRC.

Offline sirean_syan

• Global Moderator
  • Post-aholic
Re: The SeaMonkey Project
« Reply #1 on: Friday, March 02, 2007, 07:18:39 PM »
Damn, I was hoping for something to do with real Sea Monkeys.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #2 on: Friday, March 02, 2007, 09:54:06 PM »
Damn, I was hoping for something to do with real Sea Monkeys.

Bingo.  I'm kinda' sad now.

天才的な閃きと平均以下のテクニックやな。 課長有野

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #3 on: Sunday, March 04, 2007, 11:11:26 AM »
Hehe sorry for the let-down :P That's what drew me to its page in the first place!

Sea-monkeys are alright, but in the end they're just genetic hybrids ofBrine Shrimp.

Offline scottws

• Gold Member
    • Facebook Me
« Reply #4 on: Sunday, March 04, 2007, 12:24:22 PM »
I do use POP3 e-mail, but I use Thunderbird.

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #5 on: Sunday, March 04, 2007, 03:28:22 PM »
I'm confused.  Why would they be releasing a browser and email app based on current products?  I could see doing this if Firefox and Thunderbird were dead and buried.  Just an initial impression.  I guess I need to read more.

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #6 on: Sunday, March 04, 2007, 04:21:23 PM »
SeaMonkey is the continuation of the original Mozilla Suite releases. Mozilla decided to split the suite apart because most people didnt care if they had one program that did everything. So they could focus on each product individually and make them better as opposed to "We cant do that because it would mess up the email client." type crap.

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #7 on: Sunday, March 04, 2007, 05:25:50 PM »
Oh, so this is all a single app.  A suite is usually a set of apps, like Office.  Then I have to agree with Mozilla.  It's better to have separate programs optimized for each use.  Windows is the perfect environment to run them at the same time too, so I don't see a downside.

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #8 on: Monday, March 05, 2007, 01:56:03 AM »
I love Firefox.. I'd use Thunderbird but Gmail works beautifully from the site (especially with the Notifier add-on), and Hotmail won't give me any SMTP info to use in any e-mail client other than Outlook or Outlook Express.

Offline PyroMenace

« Reply #9 on: Monday, March 05, 2007, 02:17:35 AM »
I love Firefox.. I'd use Thunderbird but Gmail works beautifully from the site (especially with the Notifier add-on), and Hotmail won't give me any SMTP info to use in any e-mail client other than Outlook or Outlook Express.

Exactly, which is why I dont use Thunderbird or anything like Outlook Express for that matter. They just don't work very well with my email addresses. Especially if I get emails with html and I run into other problems with other emails I get. To me those programs are useless.

Offline scottws

• Gold Member
    • Facebook Me
« Reply #10 on: Monday, March 05, 2007, 06:20:59 AM »
I agree that Gmail is an awesome web application.  I personally still use Thunderbird with my Gmail address.  I can't put my finger on why, but I just prefer it that way.

If you have the information to set up e-mail in Outlook Express or Outlook, you have the information on how to set it up in Thunderbird.  You might not have the specific steps and places you need to be in the configuration menu, but the server address, ports, and usernames/passwords would all be the same.  If you are interested, I'd be willing to help you set it up.

Exactly, which is why I dont use Thunderbird or anything like Outlook Express for that matter. They just don't work very well with my email addresses. Especially if I get emails with html and I run into other problems with other emails I get. To me those programs are useless.
Most e-mail clients support HTML.  I don't understand what you mean by "problems."  I've had no such experience at all.

I personally could care less if you use a POP3 e-mail client or not, but it seems that you have a misconception about them.

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday, March 06, 2007, 04:03:20 AM »
I agree that Gmail is an awesome web application.  I personally still use Thunderbird with my Gmail address.  I can't put my finger on why, but I just prefer it that way.

If you have the information to set up e-mail in Outlook Express or Outlook, you have the information on how to set it up in Thunderbird.  You might not have the specific steps and places you need to be in the configuration menu, but the server address, ports, and usernames/passwords would all be the same.  If you are interested, I'd be willing to help you set it up.

Most e-mail clients support HTML.  I don't understand what you mean by "problems."  I've had no such experience at all.

I personally could care less if you use a POP3 e-mail client or not, but it seems that you have a misconception about them.
Yo Scott, thatnks for the offer. I'll let you know if I get back into Thunderbird :)