Author Topic: The Lost Tomb of Jesus  (Read 3949 times)

Offline nickclone

• Veteran
The Lost Tomb of Jesus
« on: Sunday, March 04, 2007, 03:57:10 PM »
This James Cameron special is scheduled to come on tonight on the Discovery Channel at 9 pm est. Is anyone here planning on watching this? I think its ignorant of people trying to prevent this special from airing. If this is really Big J's tomb, you'd think people would want to know the truth.

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
Re: The Lost Tomb of Jesus
« Reply #1 on: Sunday, March 04, 2007, 04:17:39 PM »
No, I'm not planning to watch it, but then again, I never watch non-fictional shows on religious subjects.  He won't topple the belief system, no matter what he says or shows.  I don't care if it airs, though.

I'd like to see him investigate the life and death of the prophet Mohammed, and then air an iconoclastic show about it.  Let's take bets on how long he lives after that.

Seriously, you can't take a major religion and change its dogma through archaeology or any other science.  The two are incompatible.  All you're doing is gaining notoriety and getting people who care pissed off.

Offline WindAndConfusion

• Veteran
« Reply #2 on: Sunday, March 04, 2007, 04:35:28 PM »
If this is really Big J's tomb, you'd think people would want to know the truth.
First, no I would not expect people to want to know the truth. I would expect people not to really give a damn, because they're not that principled.

Second, it's not Jesus' tomb. (If Jesus was really crucified by the Romans, they'd probably have thrown the corpse to dogs, as usual, so there's no good reason to think there even would be a body. According to John 20, Jesus was buried in linens, but the documentary claims to have found a casket. In First Century-Judaea, they typically buried people (even the wealthy) in communal graves. I have no idea where their supposed Jesus DNA came from. And there are other potentially fatal flaws in the Cameron documentary.)

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #3 on: Sunday, March 04, 2007, 04:41:18 PM »
Yeah, I don't give a shit one way or the other.  I'm a Christian, but I don't believe he's found anything just because what I've heard thus far has been nonsense, most of which Wind already pointed out.  Again, that isn't even because I'm a Christian, just because I think this is bogus and self-serving.  I think he's merely doing this because he has an axe to grind, not because he's actually found any evidence of anything.

天才的な閃きと平均以下のテクニックやな。 課長有野

Offline WindAndConfusion

• Veteran
« Reply #4 on: Sunday, March 04, 2007, 06:17:51 PM »
Again, that isn't even because I'm a Christian, just because I think this is bogus and self-serving. 
Again, I'm an atheist, and I'm having a hard time running far enough away from Cameron's bullshit.

Offline nickclone

• Veteran
« Reply #5 on: Sunday, March 04, 2007, 06:21:45 PM »
I don't think I'm going to watch this tonight, not with a new Family Guy on at the same time. I'll check this out later and as long as it doesn't turnout as the next Capone's vault it should be interesting.

Offline Ghandi

• HAMS
« Reply #6 on: Sunday, March 04, 2007, 07:28:22 PM »
If it really is Jesus I'm 100% certain that I will hear about from some other source than this documentary. So, no, I'm not watching some special about a tomb that isn't Jesus.

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #7 on: Sunday, March 04, 2007, 08:06:40 PM »
How do you prove its really his, though? DNA means nothing because we dont have a control sample. Names mean nothing because a lot of people share names.

It honestly doesn't matter if its his or not. There will be groups that believe it is and will point to it as proof and justification of their beliefs. The other people won't believe its his and will denounce the discovery and call it a hoax.

The 3rd group won't give a shit.