Author Topic: The walking shark is awesome.  (Read 2927 times)

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
The walking shark is awesome.
« on: Monday, September 18, 2006, 08:50:58 AM »

Offline scottws

• Gold Member
    • Facebook Me
Re: The walking shark is awesome.
« Reply #1 on: Monday, September 18, 2006, 09:14:46 AM »
Articles like that make me sad in terms of how we destroy everything we touch.

Offline Ghandi

• HAMS
« Reply #2 on: Monday, September 18, 2006, 10:24:56 AM »
Yes, it is a sad state of affairs, especially with our complete ignorance of the fact in the name of $$$. I hate looking at pictures of coral reefs, though, because it just makes me want to go scuba diving, and I know that I cant anytime soon.

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #3 on: Monday, September 18, 2006, 10:41:51 AM »
Man, I'm just remembering the days before university when I was a bit of an environmental activist. I've eben so caught up with my personal stuff that I haven't really done much beyond recycling. I've been a fan of David Suzuki since I was in Grade 7, and I love his documentary series The Nature of Things. I need to get back on track with my "Save the Environment" agenda!

Offline Ace_O_Spades

• Poster Child
« Reply #4 on: Monday, September 18, 2006, 01:47:00 PM »
It's pretty hard to have a "save the environment" agenda nowadays... by and large public transit is seen as completely secondary to the design of new areas. The use of the automobile takes up so much space. I'd love to see downtown cores which are entirely pedestrian or bike/rollerblade/scooter traffic. At least people would be getting exercise instead of driving around the block six times in their SUV looking for a parking spot.

I try my best to recycle everything I can that is recyclable. I either walk or bus everywhere I go, and I don't litter. That's about the best i can do without getting preachy on people.
The CONtrast
...Is the conTRAST
to THE contrast...

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #5 on: Monday, September 18, 2006, 04:07:14 PM »
Yes, it is a sad state of affairs, especially with our complete ignorance of the fact in the name of $$$. I hate looking at pictures of coral reefs, though, because it just makes me want to go scuba diving, and I know that I cant anytime soon.

I saw a TV program not long ago where they were explaining how nature was destroying coral reefs at a much higher rate than people were.  There's this starfish they call the crown of thorns, which eats coral, and is now a plague on the oceans.  It may be that something we did reduced its natural predators, but I don't know that.  People aren't to blame for everything that goes wrong with the ecosystem.  (After all, we are a native part of it.)

Edit:  Finding the story was quick and easy.

Edit 2: . . . and that story blames people for all the problems.  Haha.  So maybe it does come back to the evil plague of humanity upon the pristine Earth.
« Last Edit: Monday, September 18, 2006, 04:31:15 PM by Cobra951 »

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #6 on: Monday, September 18, 2006, 07:49:06 PM »
I don't think that's always the case, but yeah... Julia and I are both a bit nutty when it comes to nature and we get really pissed about that kind of thing.  Julia's actually had to back off from it a lot because she used to get really, really depressed about it.  So she just kind of had to back away because she just cared too much.  We still like to get out and see what we can, but she often avoids TV nature shows we used to like because there's so much of the "education" on how we're fucking it up, and that just makes her feel horrible.

天才的な閃きと平均以下のテクニックやな。 課長有野