Author Topic: Carbon dioxide is our friend  (Read 3192 times)

Offline WindAndConfusion

• Veteran
Carbon dioxide is our friend
« on: Tuesday, April 03, 2007, 02:03:31 PM »
[Cue peaceful music, shots of children playing, women jogging, clean environment. Female narrator speaks in soothing tones.]

There's something in these pictures you can't see.

It's essential to life. We breathe it out. Plants breathe it in.

It comes from animal life. The oceans. The earth. And the fuels we find in it.

It's called carbon dioxide, CO2. The fuels that produce CO2 have freed us from a world of back-breaking labor. Lighting up our lives. Allowing us to create, and move, the things we need. The people we love.

[Cue scary music. Narrator's voice becomes urgent.]

Now, some politicians want to label carbon dioxide a pollutant. [Dun-dun, dun] Imagine if they succeed. [Dun dun dun] What would our lives be like then?

Carbon dioxide: They call it pollution. We call it life.
CARBON DIOXIDE IS OUR FRIEND

I shit thee not, that transcript is accurate to the best of my ability. Even the dun dun duns.

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
Re: Carbon dioxide is our friend
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday, April 03, 2007, 05:08:06 PM »
Oi.  I can't believe that.  CO2 is indeed a necessary gas, and far more benign than its monoxide relative (CO).  But everything in moderation.  Everything.  What, are they advocating burning tons more fossil fuels to further life?  Seriously, what warped idiot even thought of this approach?

Offline WindAndConfusion

• Veteran
Re: Carbon dioxide is our friend
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday, April 03, 2007, 06:26:21 PM »
The Competitive Enterprise Institute.
CEI says it promotes "free market environmentalism" and says market institutions are more effective in protecting the environment than is government.

Well then. Righty-ho.