Author Topic: Dan's Projects Thread  (Read 33446 times)

Offline NatchDan

• I object.
    • NatchDan Music
Dan's Projects Thread
« on: Friday, April 13, 2007, 01:41:32 PM »
I'm usually throwing out some new music or comic or something, so I figured I'd start one of these. I want to start it with a question, though: A friend and I have been asked to play a gig in a few weeks. My curiosity is what songs would sound cool with one acoustic guitar, one electric and a laptop providing a FL Studio-enhanced backing? I have a Line 6 PODxt, so effects on the guitar are no problem.

Go!
|

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
Re: Dan's Projects Thread
« Reply #1 on: Friday, April 13, 2007, 06:13:43 PM »
Heh, that's a good question.  Unfortunately my knowledge outside of raw metal is either pretty obscure stuff or non-rock (jazz especially).  I'll think on it and see if anything comes to mind later tonight.

天才的な閃きと平均以下のテクニックやな。 課長有野

Offline NatchDan

• I object.
    • NatchDan Music
« Reply #2 on: Monday, April 16, 2007, 04:53:24 PM »
Okay, ignore that question, we got a setlist worked out. What I want now is opinions on this song.

This has been gestating in my head (It began as a hummed chorus) for three years now, and I've finally been able to get it down. It's important to me that it comes out awesome, though, so go nuts on it. Verses will be added later and chorus vocals will be re-recorded when I don't have to be so whispery (It's late).

CLICKY HERE
|

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #3 on: Monday, April 16, 2007, 10:35:59 PM »
The vocals totally remind me of Starflyer 59.  It's pretty catchy... I dig it.  A bit monotonous without a little more to break it up, but it's got a pretty catchy main riff, and I like the basic idea behind your chorus.  Could use a little bit more clarity, but the idea shines through and sounds really cool.  I like the contrast of that to the other parts of the song.  I'm big on contrast (see: Anata ala The Conductor's Departure).  The staccato nature of it strikes me as unique, and you could either keep it basic and not stray far from what you've developed, or you could go really crazy and build off that structure in a number of different ways.  I like songs where you can feel safe staying grounded, but you're also tempted to just fly off the handle.  I'm curious to see where you go with it.  I feel like if I were working it, I'd try to do some stuff based on the main riff that changes up the tempo for half a measure here and there, or a couple measures thrown in amongst the others that pull notes from much higher or lower registers just to kind of put you in a trance with the main riff, then give you a twirl as the ride takes a few dips before letting you settle back again.  But that's just me thinking out loud.  Like I said, even if you didn't expand the basic idea much I think it's good stuff and would work well.

Offline TheOtherBelmont

• Post-aholic
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday, April 17, 2007, 12:55:05 AM »
I kinda dig it.  I agree with Que on the catchy riff.  You could expand on it in the middle to add some length and variation to the song, I don't know exactly how, maybe some faster variation of the riff right before that heavy drum part that kicks in around 1:44 or even adding something to that part right before fades out.  I'm not good at elaborating on stuff like this.  I could definitely see this as a good intro or middle piece to an album.  Even if you don't expand on it like Que said, it still sounds pretty cool.  I look forward to updates!

Offline NatchDan

• I object.
    • NatchDan Music
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday, April 17, 2007, 06:21:55 AM »
I do have a riff that I really want to put in the choruses (The Do You Know parts) but I can't play it fast enough. xDI'm thinking of either timestretching or offering it up to Que.
|

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday, April 17, 2007, 06:30:56 AM »
I'm happy to help if I actually can.  Speaking of, how'd that other thing turn out, or have you screwed with it yet?  I'm curious to know if it actually worked.  Never contributed to anything digitally before.

Offline NatchDan

• I object.
    • NatchDan Music
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday, April 17, 2007, 07:37:18 AM »
I don't actually have the source files for that back yet, I keep meaning to ask the missus to send them but I forget easy. As for this, here's the riff at the correct speed with an awful fake guitar, and here's the awful fake guitar showing where it fits in the song. It's at 120 bpm and a tab is here.
|

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday, April 17, 2007, 06:10:33 PM »
I dig!  Should be easy enough after a few practice runs.  Thanks for the tab.  What sorta' tone are you looking for?  I've got a POD, so you can direct me via that if you want (though I really only use like one or two custom settings because I hate everything else, haha).

Offline NatchDan

• I object.
    • NatchDan Music
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday, April 17, 2007, 06:33:54 PM »
First off, Demo V2 - altered guitar lines and the like. HERE.

Secondly, if you could use this tone that'd be awesome. Bridge pickup. Clicky. Needs Line 6 Edit. Does the type of POD you have connect direct to the PC? If not I'll need to give you instructions to copy.
|

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday, April 17, 2007, 06:36:29 PM »
Uh... I honestly have no idea.  Never had any need for any of that stuff.  It doesn't *look* like it has anything.  What, does it hook up via USB or through the same port as the footswitch?

Offline NatchDan

• I object.
    • NatchDan Music
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday, April 17, 2007, 06:37:28 PM »
USB, so I'm guessing yours doesn't. Is it a POD, POD 2.0 or PODxt?
|

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday, April 17, 2007, 06:46:00 PM »

Offline NatchDan

• I object.
    • NatchDan Music
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday, April 17, 2007, 06:48:25 PM »
In that case...

Amp model: treadplate (Might be under a different name pre-xt; Mesa/Boogie Dual Rectifier)
Drive: 11 o'clock
Bass: Cranked
Mid: 11:30
Treble: 9 O'clock
Presence: Noon
Reverb: None
Gate: -53dB 2% decay
Comp: -12dB thres 0dB gain

The gate and comp can be reasonably ignored.
|

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday, April 17, 2007, 07:07:59 PM »
Given that you're obviously working from a different model, allow me to demonstrate my more limited capacity.  =)

(and a direct link if it shows up funky here)

Offline NatchDan

• I object.
    • NatchDan Music
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday, April 17, 2007, 07:12:24 PM »
Can't get it to work at all, so I'm going to assume it's this: http://paulcooijmans.lunarpages.com/onmus/guitars/pod.jpg

In which case...
As above, but ignore comp and gate.
Amp model: Rectified, I think.
FX: None.
All other knobs in the o' clocks listed.
|

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday, April 17, 2007, 07:17:52 PM »
I assumed rectified was right, but what about the cab select?  2x12?

Offline NatchDan

• I object.
    • NatchDan Music
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday, April 17, 2007, 07:19:36 PM »
4x12.
|

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #18 on: Wednesday, April 18, 2007, 12:03:22 AM »
Okay, so I went to try some stuff and totally got sidetracked and wrote a song.  Heh... I'll try to give this another go on Friday.  Sorry about that!  Also, thanks for making me think music.  I swear, having you around here talking about stuff has gotten my musical juices flowing a hell of a lot more than before you showed up.  I'm glad you stuck around.

Offline TheOtherBelmont

• Post-aholic
« Reply #19 on: Wednesday, April 18, 2007, 01:40:07 AM »
Okay, so I went to try some stuff and totally got sidetracked and wrote a song.  Heh... I'll try to give this another go on Friday.  Sorry about that!  Also, thanks for making me think music.  I swear, having you around here talking about stuff has gotten my musical juices flowing a hell of a lot more than before you showed up.  I'm glad you stuck around.

Hooray for Que working on more music!

Offline NatchDan

• I object.
    • NatchDan Music
« Reply #20 on: Wednesday, April 18, 2007, 03:29:08 AM »
Hooray indeed! I'm never averse to creativity.

EDIT: Also, you've not gone insane - that V2 demo was exactly the same as the other one because I forgot to put the 2 in the filename. My bad. Here you go. http://www.natchdan.com/filedump/natchdan-dykdemo2.mp3 - there's altered guitar lines and a solo and better EQ.
« Last Edit: Wednesday, April 18, 2007, 06:14:43 AM by NatchDan »
|

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #21 on: Wednesday, April 18, 2007, 07:22:36 AM »
Heh, I was wondering about demo v2.  Nice!  I definitely like where you're going with it.  The variety helps keep you interested, and you've got some memorable hooks in there.

Offline NatchDan

• I object.
    • NatchDan Music
« Reply #22 on: Wednesday, April 18, 2007, 02:34:46 PM »
Glad you think so!

I've decided to make this whole album a collaborative effort. Know any other recording musicians?
|

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #23 on: Wednesday, April 18, 2007, 06:02:25 PM »
Only one, and he's a much, much better guitarist than I am.

Offline NatchDan

• I object.
    • NatchDan Music
« Reply #24 on: Wednesday, April 18, 2007, 06:38:16 PM »
Fair enough. Anyhow, from you I have the solo on The Walls and this little riffy thing here, from an Aussie mate of mine I'm getting a remix, from another FAWMer I might be getting some vocals.
|

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #25 on: Wednesday, April 18, 2007, 08:46:48 PM »
Pretty awesome.  I could ask my friend if he wanted to give something a whirl, but he's more the leader type and he tends to like working with people in person more than anything else.  Unfortunately, he's really the only musician I know.

Offline TheOtherBelmont

• Post-aholic
« Reply #26 on: Thursday, April 19, 2007, 03:24:59 AM »
I like the addtions Dan, good stuff.  A little more variety added to it, gives it that extra something.  I wish I could help with the collaboration stuff with either you or Que, but I don't know how to play any instruments.  Someone give me a piano so I can learn how to play that.

Offline NatchDan

• I object.
    • NatchDan Music
« Reply #27 on: Thursday, April 19, 2007, 05:14:18 AM »
Just glad you like it, heh.
|

Offline NatchDan

• I object.
    • NatchDan Music
« Reply #28 on: Thursday, April 19, 2007, 05:59:22 PM »
Double post I know, but I just got an ebow and I am stoked. xD
|

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #29 on: Thursday, April 19, 2007, 06:32:28 PM »
I always wondered how those worked.  They seem so bizarre.  How is it?

Offline NatchDan

• I object.
    • NatchDan Music
« Reply #30 on: Thursday, April 19, 2007, 06:36:24 PM »
Awesome. From what I can gather, it works by creating a rapidly alternating electromagnetic field that pulls the string this way and that to make it vibrate.It doesn't shake or anything, but the string vibrates as violently as if you'd windmilled it if you hold it over the pickup.
|

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #31 on: Friday, April 20, 2007, 11:29:59 PM »
Okay, so I hope this is the tone you wanted.  It sounds really muddy to me, but I tried to set it to what you asked for, so hopefully this is what you wanted.  Let me know if you want it changed.  The riff takes a few tries for me to get right (I only practiced it for about five minutes), but after a few runs it comes out right... so no big deal if you want me to try again.  Or hell, if you want me to stop because I'm butchering it so badly.  I won't be insulted.  =)

And by "this" I mean... check your email.  I didn't think it'd go through so I started typing this post thinking I'd post them to the webspace, but then it went through.  Yay!  The second file is just a stupid little variation on the same riff (a whopping one note difference) that I included just for the hell of it.

Let me know if I didn't get the riffs right.  I'm pretty sure I did, but I didn't actually play to the song.

Offline NatchDan

• I object.
    • NatchDan Music
« Reply #32 on: Saturday, April 21, 2007, 07:01:27 AM »
Yeah, I had to EQ it a bit, but sounds fine to me. It may just be that thepickups we use are different. It's all well and good saying "Bridge pickup", but there's single-coil, humbuckers, different brands, etc.

Anyhow, I found use for both samples, so thank you very much! Here is Version 3.
|

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #33 on: Saturday, April 21, 2007, 10:59:48 AM »
For future reference (it's been fun collaborating with you, I never do this kind of thing), I play a more or less stock Ibanez SA160QM (only thing I have is new graphite string saddles).  Pretty sure they're discontinued now, but there are newer models that operate roughly the same.

Glad you were able to use the samples!

Offline NatchDan

• I object.
    • NatchDan Music
« Reply #34 on: Friday, April 27, 2007, 06:57:04 PM »
My hands don't work any more tonight, which you'd be well aware of if you'd seen this sentence before I fixed the spelling. The reason is this:

(Very rough Demo, but the bass is a motherfucker)
Evil April (Demo of a demo)
|

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #35 on: Friday, April 27, 2007, 10:27:16 PM »
Cool idea.  But you need to stop making stuff because my creativity is like dead from exhaustion.  And you're really passing me up with ideas here....

Offline NatchDan

• I object.
    • NatchDan Music
« Reply #36 on: Saturday, April 28, 2007, 03:51:38 AM »
Heh. Some of it is forced creativity - I just joined up for SongFight!, where once a week they give you a title and you have to write a song for that title. Evil April is this week's. The reviews are generally really harsh, though.
|

Offline NatchDan

• I object.
    • NatchDan Music
« Reply #37 on: Wednesday, May 02, 2007, 09:39:56 AM »
First completely complete piece of music since February: Heart
|

Offline NatchDan

• I object.
    • NatchDan Music
« Reply #38 on: Friday, May 04, 2007, 01:16:46 PM »
You Come To Mind. String arrangements hurrah!
|

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #39 on: Friday, May 04, 2007, 06:15:15 PM »
Damn, I need to get caught up!  Busy tonight, but hopefully I can check those out tomorrow.  Damn you SongFight!  Damn you!