Author Topic: Que Music Thread - The Rumored End projects  (Read 11974 times)

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
Que Music Thread - The Rumored End projects
« on: Friday, April 20, 2007, 10:27:43 PM »
Hooray for finally having webspace!

It's pretty rough... I was just sort of winging it.  Hence listening to it louder is better because then it sounds less shitty.  =)  I tried to do some lyrical stuff with it tonight and it just failed miserably.  I was using lyrics from another song as placeholder and they went really well with it... then the stuff that was supposed to go with it didn't work as well.  Plus my voice was shot and the recording sounded like shit.  So... yeah, here you go.  Instrumental metal with which to enjoy your Friday evening.  Have a drink and let me know what you think of it!

天才的な閃きと平均以下のテクニックやな。 課長有野

Offline PyroMenace

Re: Que Music Thread - The Rumored End projects
« Reply #1 on: Friday, April 20, 2007, 10:53:08 PM »
Thats a pretty cool song, it may wander a little bit but I definitely dig it.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #2 on: Friday, April 20, 2007, 11:25:34 PM »
Yeah, it kinda' wanders all over the damned place.  Is much better with the lyrics because they hold it together, but... bleh.  I need to get them fixed.  So this is it for now.

Offline TheOtherBelmont

• Post-aholic
« Reply #3 on: Friday, April 20, 2007, 11:42:14 PM »
Hooray for awesomeness, thanks for posting, I dig it.  My roommate heard me listening to it and he liked it as well.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #4 on: Friday, April 20, 2007, 11:58:49 PM »
You're like my biggest source of exposure, I swear, haha.  Thanks.  =)

Offline NatchDan

• I object.
    • NatchDan Music
« Reply #5 on: Saturday, April 21, 2007, 05:31:31 AM »
Hooray! Judging from the title I'd guess it's a continuation of The Page Idly Lingers?

Sounds pretty rockin'. The drums are intense.
|

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #6 on: Saturday, April 21, 2007, 11:02:31 AM »
Yeah, it's one of the later tracks.  Would be track 9.  I stopped with 3 at FAWM, so 4 - 8 still need to be finished.  This one just happened to come out first for whatever reason.  I actually have pretty solid ideas for the others, though, which is kind of rare for me.  This whole project has been pretty solid from the get-go.  This track is actually one of the weakest ideas I had, hence the sort of helter-skelter nature of it.

Offline NatchDan

• I object.
    • NatchDan Music
« Reply #7 on: Saturday, April 21, 2007, 05:21:09 PM »
Still, looking forward to hearng the rest.
|

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #8 on: Monday, April 30, 2007, 11:36:01 PM »
A little something that birthed itself tonight from a tune I was humming in my head on my walk home from the subway and fiddled with during a jam session later.  Nothing too impressive, but it's a solid idea for a song later in my current album.

Offline TheOtherBelmont

• Post-aholic
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday, May 01, 2007, 01:05:44 PM »
A little something that birthed itself tonight from a tune I was humming in my head on my walk home from the subway and fiddled with during a jam session later.  Nothing too impressive, but it's a solid idea for a song later in my current album.

Good stuff man, I especially like the last minute of the song when it starts getting more chaotic and more distorted (at least it sounds like there is more distortion on the guitar).

Offline NatchDan

• I object.
    • NatchDan Music
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday, May 01, 2007, 04:41:55 PM »
He's right, the last minute of that is completely kicking awesome.

Also, any drummer you ever enlist is going to HATE you. Much like any bassist of mine will want my soul in a jar specifically so he can smash it against something.
|

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday, May 01, 2007, 05:55:11 PM »
Amazing how improvised stuff usually ends up being more popular than the stuff I take forever to come up with, haha.  Sometimes when I just wing it I find I'm happier than when I've spent time on something with more focus.  Funny how that happens.

And yeah, I love crazy drums.  Though a lot of what I do is fairly tame as far as really technical death metal drumming and stuff goes.  I mean, I don't know drums from a hole in the ground on a technical level.  I just like to hit my drum machine until something sounds good.  =D

Check out this thread if you want to see some drumming that'll make you bow in worshipfulness.

Offline NatchDan

• I object.
    • NatchDan Music
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday, May 02, 2007, 05:03:17 AM »
I still say Sir Dave of Grohl is one of the best drummers out there today. He doesn't often show it, but the man's intense. Watch the Queens Of The Stone Age "No-One Knows" video. It's not too complex, but you can tell the man loves to hit things.

Plus, he's the devil. He loves metal. *headbang*
|

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #13 on: Saturday, May 12, 2007, 10:12:14 PM »
Que attempts to keep up with Dan by releasing Track IV of The Page Idly Lingers, "Lunar Sanctuary".  Enjoy!  Will post lyrics later.  Sorry the vocals fucking suck.  They desperately need rerecording and the mix is terrible.

Offline TheOtherBelmont

• Post-aholic
« Reply #14 on: Saturday, May 12, 2007, 11:57:52 PM »
Que attempts to keep up with Dan by releasing Track IV of The Page Idly Lingers, "Lunar Sanctuary".  Enjoy!  Will post lyrics later.  Sorry the vocals fucking suck.  They desperately need rerecording and the mix is terrible.

Good stuff man, your vocals are a bit drowned out, but you've addressed that already.  It's got a good amount of variety which you always seem to do.  The Page Idly Lingers is shaping up to be something great.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #15 on: Sunday, May 13, 2007, 12:34:20 AM »
Thanks, mate!  Yeah, the vocals sound like 100x as bad listening to them through my makeshift amp setup and the computer with headphones.  Gads.  They sounded much better through the mixer and just through my speakers.  But they were bad already, so... yeah.  Need to get those rerecorded ASAP.  Hopefully I can post a new version tomorrow.

Offline NatchDan

• I object.
    • NatchDan Music
« Reply #16 on: Sunday, May 13, 2007, 07:25:06 AM »
You know, if you ever want me to try any mixing for you, I'll gladly do it. I like this, it's got a strong melody to it. It's catchy, almost. If there was a single, it'd be this. I like how you can have the melody and the discord working together, too.

Also, sorry. Every time I get a new gizmo I feel the need to try it out, and I've been getting a steady stream of new gizmos. xD

I might have another soloing job for you later, also.
|

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #17 on: Sunday, May 13, 2007, 10:03:09 AM »
For some reason I just have immense trouble with vocals.  I can't ever get them the way I want them (probably because I don't have any effects on my mixer and end up running through my POD), and then mixing them is always a nightmare.  My setup is pretty ghetto, so that makes it worse.  I never had any trouble with them in my old studio.  Now I just can't seem to get it right.

Anyway, thanks.  And I'd be happy to attempt some more solo work.

Offline NatchDan

• I object.
    • NatchDan Music
« Reply #18 on: Sunday, May 13, 2007, 10:13:19 AM »
I might have to withdraw my offer of mixing, as it has become apparent that I can't mix metal worth a damn. this is what needs the solo, but it's so hard to mix I might not be able to use it at all.
|

Offline PyroMenace

« Reply #19 on: Monday, May 14, 2007, 10:38:02 PM »
Damn, that song is awesome. I think you did a better job with the drums than you usually do. Ah yes, and you did some grunting, sweet!

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #20 on: Monday, May 14, 2007, 10:55:28 PM »
Heh, thanks man!  I actually did the drums in one straight live session.  Because of that there are some fairly obvious mistakes, but I'm surprised I managed to do as well as I did with the fucked up keypad on my drum machine.  If I can just find the time to rerecord the vocals, I also have the next song ready to go (it's actually an older one... just needs a vocal track as well).

Offline NatchDan

• I object.
    • NatchDan Music
« Reply #21 on: Tuesday, May 15, 2007, 07:45:20 AM »
Also, regarding The Secret, a version of it was played with my old band, Article. We weren't great, but we had fun. Anyhow, here it is.

The lyrics were fun, written by my friend Dave and sung by my other friend Dave (With Dave the first and I on "My Love"s), and they were about a creepy guy drowning his girlfriend because she said she'd leave. I thought they were funny as hell.

I was rhythm guitar, Dave the first lead, Paul bass, Matt drums, Dave the second vocals. Dave the first is the chattiest after the song.
|

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #22 on: Thursday, May 17, 2007, 09:13:21 PM »
Heh, fun listen.

Well, I just plain fucking suck at doing vocals with this setup here, apparently, so the new version of Lunar Sanctuary isn't quite what I'd hoped.  I haven't done much, but however I managed to get halfway decent stuff before I just can't recreate.  I don't know what it is but trying to do it now I just seem to get mids all over the fucking place, even when I crank things way down.  My voice just gets loud and causes distortion with certain notes and I can't figure out why.  I've never had this problem before, but now I can't seem to get around it.  Had to forego using my POD for vocal effects (which is what I'd done before) because the problem seems much worse with it, so I just have 2 clean vocal tracks which sound like total ass because I have no effects whatsoever on my mixer.  But... it's still better than the awful crap I had before, so check out the new version and then shoot me in the face.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #23 on: Sunday, July 22, 2007, 10:05:35 AM »
Two new song ideas happening!  Check 'em out.

Here, Have a Lina.
An Untitled Demo.

The first one is obviously a bit more polished, the other was just a quick thing.  Live drums in the second song, so lots of mistakes, but the first one I actually wrote the drums for while just fiddling with something.  Decided to run with it and record them, and I love the way they turned out.  I like both ideas, though, and I'm hoping to actually at some point build a whole album in the style of the first thing.  Kind of a bit more jazzy, noir-ish stuff than my usual.  Anybody who gets the pun in the title scores extra points (nobody will).

Opinions welcome!

Offline NatchDan

• I object.
    • NatchDan Music
« Reply #24 on: Sunday, July 22, 2007, 01:24:25 PM »
Havalina Rail Co. Points pls
|

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #25 on: Sunday, July 22, 2007, 01:49:24 PM »
zomg, You wins!

Offline PyroMenace

« Reply #26 on: Sunday, July 22, 2007, 03:44:11 PM »
Oooh, nice songs. I dig the styles of both, I even thought your quick demo came out pretty good. Lina was really cool, I'd be really interested to hear more jazz-like stuff.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #27 on: Sunday, July 22, 2007, 03:54:33 PM »
Thanks.  =)  I'm actually almost considering doing a "Black soundtrack" of stuff in that vein.  That could be kind of cool...

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #28 on: Monday, October 08, 2007, 11:06:58 PM »
Summer Legs

Yes, I still do music.  I'm just stressed and tired.

Offline TheOtherBelmont

• Post-aholic
« Reply #29 on: Monday, October 08, 2007, 11:32:38 PM »
Summer Legs

Yes, I still do music.  I'm just stressed and tired.

Good stuff man, a nice, laid back metallish track.  I'm curious about the song title though.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #30 on: Monday, October 08, 2007, 11:37:54 PM »
Just reminds me of my youth, back when I was young, carefree, kicking back on the beach with my first girlfriend.  She always wore shorts and had legs for days.  DAYS.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #31 on: Sunday, February 03, 2008, 01:01:48 PM »
Okay, so FAWM 2008 is happening, and I'm there.  Dan convinced me, so you can thank him for badgering me past all my weakness and lack of energy.  This year's main project is a 5-song EP called The Sky in Stone Basins, where each song will be based on water in either a literal or figurative sense (and if possible, both).  No idea what I'll work on after I finish that, but there'll be time for thinking of that later!

First up is The Rumored End - Thought Stream.

More to follow, baby!  I just need to recover from spending 6 hours of my life yesterday working on this one...

EDIT - And here's the second, The Rumored End - A Red Within the River.  Honestly, I don't know if I even like it after all the time I spent trying to get it right.  I'm just totally sick of it now... I think I need some distance.  Still, I'm not happy with certain elements, so... yeah, I don't know.  Whatever.  LISTEN TO THE METAL.
« Last Edit: Monday, February 04, 2008, 09:47:15 PM by Quemaqua »

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #32 on: Wednesday, February 06, 2008, 11:02:47 PM »
Hell.  Complete and total blockage.  I have this song idea, and I just can't seem to actually sit down and make it work.  It's bugging the hell out of me.  I'm totally stuck.  The idea is there, but I'm just not excited enough about it, I guess.  It's too Opeth-sounding for its own good, I think, and it just doesn't feel right.

Ugh... somebody make my head stop hurting.

EDIT - Okay, it's over.  After 4 days.  This song nearly killed me.  Enjoy the sound of my near-death!

It is The Rumored End - The Hole to Looking-Glass House, and it is the reason I need to go take a really long break doing something that isn't music now.

EDIT x2 - Did a solo for Dan on his song Velociraptor.

EDIT x3 - The Rumored End - Lessons in Deep Breathing (part one) is up.  I need help solving rights issues with this one.  Let me know if you happen to have knowledge of such things in you somewhere.
« Last Edit: Saturday, February 16, 2008, 12:47:47 PM by Quemaqua »

Offline TheOtherBelmont

• Post-aholic
« Reply #33 on: Thursday, February 21, 2008, 01:26:34 PM »
Damn, I can't believe I missed this update.  I listened to all of the recent updates and damn man its good stuff.  I really enjoyed The Hole to Looking-Glass House.  Hopefully you get the rights issues with Lessons in Deep Breathing worked out because it fits with your theme very well.