Author Topic: Babel was poor. (SPOILERS GALORE)  (Read 2849 times)

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
Babel was poor. (SPOILERS GALORE)
« on: Saturday, May 05, 2007, 10:12:14 AM »
I just saw it. I found it to have interesting pieces, but to be a massive failure overall. I was pleasantly surprised to find most critics sharing that sentiment on Rottentomatoes. 
« Last Edit: Saturday, May 05, 2007, 01:46:11 PM by Pugnate »

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
Re: Babel was poor.
« Reply #1 on: Saturday, May 05, 2007, 01:19:59 PM »
My big problem with it was the Japanese segment.  It was completely out of place, not related at all to the events.  The gun itself was not the story.  Maybe that's what the writer/director wanted, but that's not what we got on the screen.  The rest of it I found riveting.  I could not take my eyes off the screen.

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
Re: Babel was poor. (SPOILERS GALORE)
« Reply #2 on: Saturday, May 05, 2007, 02:05:59 PM »
The Japanese segment was interesting in its earlier stages. I was very sympathetic towards the deaf girl, but I naturally assumed that it would all tie in cleverly at the end. It never did.

The Mexican wedding bit was pretty good, until the ridiculous car chase at the end. That was almost as if it was thrown in there for no reason. It felt very out of place, and seemed like trouble created for the sake of it.

The Moroccan bit, which was the main bit had many interesting moments, though it didn't make sense to me why tourists would choose to visit the middle of goddamn nowhere. They were out in the desert where there is nothing to see, and hours away from any civilization.

Also the Moroccan brother and sister behaved in a sexually repressed manner that was definitely weird. The fact that they were sexually repressed with desires to explore reflected the thinking of someone with a Western upbringing. It was almost as if the writer thought,"Oh well they are young, without any contact from others so they must be undersexed and willing to go to weird lengths."

Yes children reach sexual realization faster in today's soceity, but that's partially because of the diet, and mainly because of the culture that has been developed. It is impossible for a child to grow up in today's world without being very aware of the opposite sex. I mean it is everywhere in the media as well as social settings. Kids can't escape it, and thus grow up faster.

However in the middle of a desert with kids no older than twelve, I found it impossible to believe that two siblings would be so sexually depressed that they would desire each other. That's total nonsense.

Some of the dialog that was written for the Arabs was very out of place, and felt unnatural.

I love how when the younger brother was confronted by his older brother about his sexual feelings for his sister he said,"This is between me and her, you stay out of it."

That was rubbish and got a good laugh out of me. It totally felt like a Hollywood line, and not like a nomad family. And where would a twelve year old boy even learn how to masturbate...

I am assuming the Mexican segments were better and more accurately written, because both the writer and director seem to be Hispanic.

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: Saturday, May 05, 2007, 02:57:32 PM »
As the title of the thread now warns, many SPOILERS in the thread, so I'm not bothering with the tags.

I can't argue about the authenticity of the goatherder segment.  You would be much more in tune with that.  But I did think the sexual bit in it was out of place too.  It just wasn't needed.  I had even forgotten about it until you mentioned it.  The bus in the middle of nowhere was a stretch too, but I can easily see it happening for real.   The shortest distance between 2 points is a straight line.  The safest one may not be.

This was done by some Spanish guy.  He's probably no more qualified to depict Arab or nomad life than I am.  I think he did a fine job with the Mexican segment, though.  The border thing was indeed stirring trouble for the hell of it, but that's the point.  These people had crossed the border many times before, and eventually, they ran into a power-tripping bigoted asshole of a crossing guard.  Add the caucasian kids and a few too many party drinks to the mix, and the whole thing explodes.  I had no trouble believing any of it.

Offline ren

• Veteran
« Reply #4 on: Saturday, May 05, 2007, 04:20:50 PM »
And where would a twelve year old boy even learn how to masturbate...

I'm basically with you except for that

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #5 on: Saturday, May 05, 2007, 04:36:20 PM »
haha... I knew someone would pick up on that.