Author Topic: Halo 3!  (Read 30338 times)

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
Re: Halo 3!
« Reply #200 on: Friday, October 05, 2007, 08:18:56 PM »
Good point about entertainment length, but they were talking day one sales. Whats the bigger entertainment event: one where you get 50 million people paying $1 or one where you have 1 million paying $50?

$1?  Where have you been?  The price of movie tickets around here is at or near the $10 mark.  So while you're right, the scale is not nearly that huge.  Halo would need to make about 6 times the box office of a movie in one day to equal the opening head count.

But would the money people care how the numbers racked up?

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #201 on: Friday, October 05, 2007, 09:45:18 PM »
$1 was just for the example, smarty pants.

Offline scottws

• Gold Member
    • Facebook Me
« Reply #202 on: Saturday, October 06, 2007, 06:41:52 AM »
Cobra has a point though.  To the people in charge, they could care less how many people latch on.  They just care about the profit margin.  To them, the one that is more successful is the one that makes more money.

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #203 on: Saturday, October 06, 2007, 09:38:26 AM »
Yes yes...I just don't like MS's "biggest entertainment launch ever" crap. They made the most money, sure...but the product was more expensive than most other entertainment launch items and it probably involved far less people than others. Thats all.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
  • OWNet 4 Eternity & Beyond
« Reply #204 on: Sunday, October 07, 2007, 06:51:22 AM »
Voodoo Extreme compiles their list of Their Top 10 Candidates for who'd they like to see make a Halo 4

Top 10 Most Wanted Halo 4 Developers
Oct 07, 2007 at 3:45 AM - Robert "Apache" Howarth - 9 Comments
Since Bungie made it pretty clear that they're sick of making Halo games, where does that leave Microsoft? Who can the publisher hire to finish the fight? Here's our short list:

10) Gearbox
    Why? For starters, Gearbox made the insanely popular Halo: Combat Evolved PC port. Besides that, the company is bursting at the seams with talent. With multiple teams, and lots of Halo experience under its belt, Gearbox would be a great fit.

9) Irrational (2K Boston/2K Aus)
    Why? For starters, you might’ve heard of a little game called BioShock that sold a few copies. While the studio has little multiplayer experience, I doubt Microsoft is going to want to reinvent the wheel when it comes to Halo 4's online play. I bet 2K would rent them out for a few years on the cheap...

8 ) Ubisoft Montreal
    Why? Bungie is sick of making Halo, and by now, I’m sure Ubisoft is tired of making Tom Clancy games. Ubisoft has the manpower, single and multiplayer savvy, not to mention the ability to make Halo 4 a legit sequel in less than 4 years.

7) Monolith
    Why? Monolith is a veteran FPS developer, is located in Kirkland, plus is owned by Warner Brothers. You know, the movie studio. Microsoft wants a Halo movie. The game nets half a billion bucks, the movie loses a hundred mill. You do the math.

6) Retro Studios
    Why? By now Retro has to be tired of making games for old hardware. I think they’re up to the challenge of trying its hand at a next-gen AAA title. Not to mention, I bet they could use a little break from making Metroid sequels.

5) Pandemic
    Why? Bono digs Halo, right?

4) Rare
    Why? Well, Microsoft already owns the studio, Rare is due for a hit after Perfect Dark Zero, and is savvy world of the 360 and would be able to provide a superlative multiplayer experience.

3) Infinity Ward
    Why? By now we’re digging pretty deep into the fantasy Halo 4 developer list, but since Microsoft has deep pockets, lets run with it. Awesome single player developer, exceptional multiplayer as well. By the time they get to Call of Duty 10, it’ll be set in space anyways. Why not just skip to the creamy filling?

2) Valve
    Why? Okay, we’re really dreaming now. I’ll let you in on a little secret though. When the Halo guy takes off his helmet... guess who it is? IT’S GORDON FREEMAN! Work with me, here!

1) Epic
    Why? Obviously, the studio best suited to make Halo 4 would be Epic Games. They have the technology, the experience and CliffyB. Just give Cliffy a bucket of Skittles and watch the miracles happen.

Who do you think would make the best Halo 4 developer?

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Last Edit: Thursday, August 07, 2008, 01:47:19 PM by MysterD »

Offline MysterD

• Forum god

Offline scottws

• Gold Member
    • Facebook Me
« Reply #207 on: Saturday, August 23, 2008, 11:02:09 AM »
I never played Halo 3 (or Halo 2 for that matter), so I can't really comment on any aspect of the game at all, but I thought I'd see the people responding to his article in the comments section ripping him to shreds.  Instead, almost everyone seems to agree: Halo 3 was hugely disappointing.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #208 on: Saturday, August 23, 2008, 11:29:17 AM »
It's interesting, because a lot of people could deal with what I always felt was boring, stilted gameplay of the first two games, yet they took a lot more issue with *other* problems of the third one.  Like with the way certain characters were handled and such.  It's interesting, because I think it demonstrates just how much people like the universe and the fiction, and it seems Bungie really dropped the ball there.

天才的な閃きと平均以下のテクニックやな。 課長有野

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #209 on: Saturday, August 23, 2008, 09:21:38 PM »
It's interesting, because a lot of people could deal with what I always felt was boring, stilted gameplay of the first two games, yet they took a lot more issue with *other* problems of the third one.  Like with the way certain characters were handled and such.  It's interesting, because I think it demonstrates just how much people like the universe and the fiction, and it seems Bungie really dropped the ball there.

I was kind of thinking about this the other day when reading about Too Human.  People who wait on these games generally really set themselves up for disappointment.   Halo 3 is an excellent example:

There was little evidence that it was going to be nearly as good as people thought it was going to be.  The first one had massive flaws.  Don't get me wrong, I still think it was a very fun game, but nothing like what the press and a lot of people made it out to be.  Halo 2 was pretty much exactly what I expected, but some people were really let down by the SP campaign. I can see where they're coming from because that cliff hanger sucked and the original video showed much more intense and epic game play than what we were left with in the final product, but at the same time it improved on the first in most of the ways that mattered  (thats not to say it improved on it enough to make it the greatest game ever some people claim it is). Yet, the rest of console FPS games had caught up in the SP portion, but people looked beyond the somewhat disappointing SP because the MP was much more fleshed out. 

Then, for some magical and stupid reason, people tricked themselves into believing that Halo 3 would be the greatest thing ever.  Why? Probably because Halo 2 had a cliff hanger ending and that totally left people anticipating more.  Except, they mistook the cheap anticipation for something with substance and convinced themselves that H3 would be everything the first two weren't.  When it delivered more of the same (which is what people wanted) and didn't deliver the epic and awe inspiring story conclusion that people had no reason to believe it would in the first place, they were really let down because they had created so much baseless hype in their own minds. 

Bungee didn't let anyone down; the people built themselves up to expect something that they had no reason to believe would be delivered.  The Arbitar as a compelling and deep character?  Fuck off.

Offline PyroMenace

« Reply #210 on: Sunday, August 24, 2008, 04:02:50 AM »
Fuck it, Im just going to troll some shit because this argument has taken the dead corpse of the horse and splayed it all over of its rotting maggot infested coffin.

People still play Halo 3 multiplayer to this day as it still competes the biggest games out there. I couldnt give two shits about the multiplayer, tried it out, its got some interesting things going for it, but its not my cup of tea. As for the single player, I was greatly satisfied by all 3 games and what they brought out to the table individually. FUCK YOU ALL AND FUCK YOU D FOR BRINGING THIS SHIT BACK.

IM OUT.

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #211 on: Sunday, August 24, 2008, 05:35:57 AM »
I stopped reading that article midway when I realized the expectations of the writer were ridiculous.  I have yet to play this game, so I can't judge it.  But it is just a fucking game, not Tolstoy.  I liked the first Halo just fine.  If 3 is like that only bigger and prettier, the crowd got its money's worth.  The endless deconstruction is so much wasted energy.

Pyro, don't take the whole thing too seriously.  Not a big deal, really.  I agree that some people need to quit resuscitating ancient dead horses.

Offline Ghandi

• HAMS
« Reply #212 on: Sunday, August 24, 2008, 07:28:54 AM »
We should all get in one huge argument about Halo because it's totally worth it. Best fucking game ever made and not overrated at all.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #213 on: Sunday, August 24, 2008, 10:51:32 AM »
Come on Pyro, it was just an interesting note that some fans took issue with Halo 3.  I thought it was interesting because it had nothing to do with gameplay and wasn't just somebody who isn't a fan (like me) saying he thought the game sucked.  I've heard some people who were big Halo fans that felt disappointed by some stuff, so I thought it was interesting to see that it was mostly related to the way the story was handled and stuff.  If you thought it was perfectly fine, cool, don't sweat it... but it doesn't mean we were just here to troll the game.  Like I'm a huge fan of the Elder Scrolls games and Oblivion, but a lot of people who didn't mind the gameplay still had issues with the story for that game, which I thought was interesting to note, and even some who didn't have a problem with the story at all had an issues with the way some fictional elements were treated (myself included, because I know way, way too much about the backstory and history of certain game elements, so inconsistencies or missed opportunities were very obvious to me).

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #214 on: Sunday, August 24, 2008, 01:40:25 PM »
Come on Pyro, it was just an interesting note that some fans took issue with Halo 3.
Exactly.

I thought it was interesting because it had nothing to do with gameplay and wasn't just somebody who isn't a fan (like me) saying he thought the game sucked.  I've heard some people who were big Halo fans that felt disappointed by some stuff, so I thought it was interesting to see that it was mostly related to the way the story was handled and stuff.
The thing is Que, if the rumors are true of a PC port coming, they can make Halo 3 better. They can add more content to the game a la Gears of War PC and a la Assassin's Creed PC. Hell, maybe even add a fair amount of more story and character depth (a la Witcher: Enhanced, but probably not to the insane lengths of Witcher: Enhanced will go). You know, that would be great for PC Gamers -- to get extra content and extra story. Hell, let me go one further -- of course, if we PC'ers get some extra content, there's no reason X-Box 360'ers shouldn't get it in a DLC, Patch, and/or Expansion Pack either.

If you thought it was perfectly fine, cool, don't sweat it... but it doesn't mean we were just here to troll the game.
Exactly.

I resurrected the thread b/c I found the article interesting and b/c there are PC port rumors starting to float for Halo 3.

Like I'm a huge fan of the Elder Scrolls games and Oblivion, but a lot of people who didn't mind the gameplay still had issues with the story for that game, which I thought was interesting to note, and even some who didn't have a problem with the story at all had an issues with the way some fictional elements were treated (myself included, because I know way, way too much about the backstory and history of certain game elements, so inconsistencies or missed opportunities were very obvious to me).
Que, you're just a ES Fanatic.
You're the type that reads a great majority ES in-game fiction/lore books, eh? :-P
You must've spent like over 300 hours with each ES game then. :P

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #215 on: Sunday, August 24, 2008, 03:15:53 PM »
Oh, I've spent well over 250 hours on each TES game individually.  I have a file of printouts from the Imperial Library site with pages probably numbering in the hundreds.

But D, I don't think there's any way in hell Halo 3 is getting extra content on PC.  These people have churned out barely-functional PC ports in the past, I see no reason to think they're suddenly going to give us a robust port or, much less, extra stuff on top of that.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #216 on: Sunday, August 24, 2008, 03:28:18 PM »
Oh, I've spent well over 250 hours on each TES game individually.  I have a file of printouts from the Imperial Library site with pages probably numbering in the hundreds.
Damn! :)

But D, I don't think there's any way in hell Halo 3 is getting extra content on PC.  These people have churned out barely-functional PC ports in the past, I see no reason to think they're suddenly going to give us a robust port or, much less, extra stuff on top of that.
Point taken, Que.

I mean, it'd be nice to get extra content on the PC -- I mean, two Microsoft-published companies did with their ports; Lionhead (Fable: TLC PC) and Epic (GoW PC). No reason it can't be done with another Microsoft game; namely, their (so-called) "flagship" FPS.

It'd be nice if at the very least if Halo 3 PC gets ported, Microsoft could put the Halo PC ports in better hands, so the technical-performance aspect don't wind up so botched (upon release).

I probably would've got Halo 2 PC by now, if it wasn't a damn Vista exclusive. If I can find that cheap enough, you damn right I will -- and when I get a Vista PC, I'll check it out.

Offline PyroMenace

« Reply #217 on: Sunday, August 24, 2008, 04:43:06 PM »
Fine Im just gonna take a break from the gaming boards for a bit, till the MysterD ratio of threads to actual substance threads changes.

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #218 on: Sunday, August 24, 2008, 05:18:20 PM »
Good job D, mission accomplished.  So, should we do this through pay pal or do you just want me to mail you cash?

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #219 on: Sunday, August 24, 2008, 07:26:35 PM »
Fine Im just gonna take a break from the gaming boards for a bit, till the MysterD ratio of threads to actual substance threads changes.
You know, you can start some threads too, bro.

Seriously, I thought this one you recently got going was pretty good, myself.

Offline scottws

• Gold Member
    • Facebook Me
« Reply #220 on: Sunday, August 24, 2008, 09:00:24 PM »
Yeah, Pryo I have to say that you're way overreacting on this one.  It's not a bunch of people here talking about how lame Halo 3 is.  We're commenting on an article that was written about the game and that's it.

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #221 on: Monday, August 25, 2008, 06:50:50 AM »
I think it's the combination of factors that got to him.  I sympathize with the emotions brought out by one of them.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #222 on: Monday, August 25, 2008, 07:00:01 AM »
It isn't hard to understand.  There are a number of us on here who've given the games a lot of grief.  I know he's sick of hearing it... the only reason I thought this was pretty interesting was since it was from a fan's perspective.