Author Topic: Halo 3!  (Read 30340 times)

Offline HxCeddie

Halo 3!
« on: Wednesday, May 16, 2007, 10:00:50 AM »
Downloading now, will give everyone an update later on today about the beta. From what I've seen in the videos, it looks really cool, so hopefully it lives up to the hype.

*waits for Que to say how much he hates Halo*

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
Re: Halo 3!
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday, May 16, 2007, 10:03:02 AM »
haha...

According to a lot stuff I am hearing on the net, the opinion is split on the beta download. A lot of people are disappointed in the visuals though, especially after playing something like Gears of War.

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday, May 16, 2007, 10:10:50 AM »
Don't wait for Que: Halo sucks!

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday, May 16, 2007, 10:12:52 AM »
The first Halo was quite excellent. Haven't played the second though.

Offline HxCeddie

« Reply #4 on: Wednesday, May 16, 2007, 11:57:41 AM »
Well, I played a couple of rounds, so here are some quick impressions.

-Graphics wise, I'm highly disappointed. From what Pug said earlier, after playing GoW, I know that the 360 is capable of graphics that are outstanding. Halo 3 has graphics that are only marginally better than Halo 2, which is just stupid.

-Gameplay wise, it's same thing as Halo 2. I haven't played Halo 2 in forever, but right when I started to play the demo, it felt exactly the same. Little disappointed in that respect.

-I fucking hate the new Spartan laser. It is so goddamn fucking cheap. It's like th energy sword in Halo 2.

And that's just my quick impressions. Disappointed, yet I can't stop playing it even though I have a shitload of work to do.

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday, May 16, 2007, 12:49:24 PM »
Graphics wise, I'm highly disappointed. From what Pug said earlier, after playing GoW, I know that the 360 is capable of graphics that are outstanding. Halo 3 has graphics that are only marginally better than Halo 2, which is just stupid.

WOW! That's pretty horrible. You know in a strange way it is comforting... maybe they gave more development time to gameplay?

Aynway I had a look and this seems like it is the same engine as Halo 2 which was just an improvement on the Halo 1 engine... so yea that's pretty screwed up. Especially when you consider the fact that when Halo was about to debut on the PC (before it was nabbed and delayed for a year to meet the Xbox launch), it looked  out of this world.

Anyway that just sounds lazy.

I just have this feeling that they didn't concentrate on the visuals because they are about to deliver some stellar gameplay. However if it is the same engine, what more can they give? I find it inexplicable that they didn't do a new engine.

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday, May 16, 2007, 12:53:25 PM »
Rumor that I heard is they are just using Halo 2 assets for the beta to first keep the filesize down, and then later they can wow players when they show the "real" graphics.

Though thats just a rumor thats only found in xbox forums and no real site that I've seen reported anything like that. Maybe its just wishful thinking from the players.

Offline scottws

• Gold Member
    • Facebook Me
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday, May 16, 2007, 12:58:22 PM »
I can get it since I bought Crackdown, but I probably won't.  I just don't have any interest.

Offline sirean_syan

• Global Moderator
  • Post-aholic
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday, May 16, 2007, 01:03:40 PM »
That sounds like the kind of justification that Halo fanboys love to make for something like that. Common sense would tell you that Bungie and Microsoft would go all out with the beta since every site is bound to (and has) do(ne) extensive articles on how the game is panning out. You don't put the preview to a big game like Halo out half-assed unless it really is half-assed. If you are going to, you at least put out awesome screenshots from the real game and maybe some videos to blow everyone away. Considering Bungie wasn't even good enough to remove the pop-up on the scripted cutscenes that had more detailed models and effects for Halo 2, they aren't exactly at the top of the graphics game.

I still have a soft spot for the Halo universe and stuff,  but Bungie itself has fallen from grace. I place them next to people like Valve; developers who earned a high spot in the public's mind then stopped giving it their all.
« Last Edit: Wednesday, May 16, 2007, 07:20:00 PM by sirean_syan »

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday, May 16, 2007, 02:02:12 PM »
It doesn't have anything to do with Halo 3, but I've found myself laughing thrice in this thread...

Anyway:

http://www.bungie.net/Forums/topics.aspx?forumID=122419

The console kiddies make me laugh. They are trashing Bungie/MS like anything, and are bitchin' about everything you could think of. Here are some of the gems:

For me, I was excited to be playing the halo 3 beta today, and now after being bored all day and no beta, it is going to effect my opinion of the beta now. I just don't care if it was to come out now to tomorrow, it won't be the same as it would have if it came out this morning. Thanks for leaving us hanging Bungie.

m so pissed at customer service this fukin guy just told me he has information regarding Halo 3 beta for crackdown but he is uable to give us the information do to microsoft and bungie not wanting them too so. I argued with him for 4 min and I was like just give me the fuking information its not that big of a deal ive waited 11 hours this is bullshyt! hes like sorry sir :@

Why ?, they made a promise, and MS sold lots of crackdown, they dont care, just get it, they dont care, halo 3 will sell anywhey!!!! and this will be forgotten by that time.
Its the same thing again with MS and Bungie, hyping everything, letting the world talk about it.
If they tested they knew and we would have known in time, just think the hole button doesn t work.
It has nothing to do with downloading.
How many times do have i to say this, we are fooled.
There already 19000 people playing this!!!!!!!!!!
And people for free play this and the people like me who are dumb to pay for this are left in the cold?
Just think, its not a normal demo its free publicity fot them al over again.
Just think.
I am a halo fan , but not so more.

BUNGIE DID THIS ON PURPOSE!

Anyway just visit the forums. It is SO worth it. :D

Offline beo

• Veteran
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday, May 16, 2007, 02:13:32 PM »
just to reiterate, yeah - the graphics are highly disappointing. i've only seen the videos thus far, but i'm not at all impressed. given what we've seen on unreal engine projects, i thought we might get a bit more from xbox's biggest franchise. i like halo well enough - it's my favourite console shooter (for multiplayer, anyway), so i'm not trashing it for the sake of it. i genuinely thought we'd be looking at something far more impressive than what the beta has shown so far.

i hate being a graphics whore, but after gears - well, this is just sub-par.

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday, May 16, 2007, 02:40:22 PM »
Release Date: Sep 25

http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/788/788731p1.html

Plenty of time for them to improve some of the visuals. :P

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday, May 16, 2007, 06:19:52 PM »
Halo sucks.  Go play a real game.

天才的な閃きと平均以下のテクニックやな。 課長有野

Offline beo

• Veteran
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday, May 16, 2007, 07:37:06 PM »
Halo sucks.  Go play a real game.

what, like postal?  ;)

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday, May 16, 2007, 07:53:22 PM »
That's not a real game.  The difference is nobody (barring drug addicts) claim it to be.

Offline angrykeebler

• Veteran
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday, May 16, 2007, 07:56:01 PM »
I love Halo but I never loved it for the multi-player. I played it for like 20 minutes on Halo 2 before I stopped.

That being said I can't wait till the 3rd one comes out! woooo!
Suck it, Pugnate.

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday, May 16, 2007, 09:23:15 PM »
Yeah, I've always liked Halo, but not for the MP.

Anyways, I'm suprised...I always assumed that the poor graphics in the videos I've watched were just because it was low quality footage.  That's pretty messed up.

"Especially when you consider the fact that when Halo was about to debut on the PC (before it was nabbed and delayed for a year to meet the Xbox launch), it looked  out of this world. "

It was a completely different game and the original PC version looked like shit compaired to what was launched on the xbox.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday, May 16, 2007, 09:26:09 PM »
Not when the first footage was shown.  The game looked absolutely amazing, and would have continued to look amazing had it been anywhere near on time with the original release schedule.  As it stood, I didn't think it even looked all that great when it was released.  It wasn't a real slouch like Halo 2, but it still wasn't the best in the business by any stretch of the imagination.  Apparently the graphics get worse in ratio for each game.  3 is looking pretty bad.

EDIT - GSpot actually has a comparison thing so you can see for yourself just how little the graphics have evolved.  Decidedly last-gen.  Kind of a shame, I actually kind of liked the way the first one looked.

Offline Jedi

• Poster Child
« Reply #18 on: Wednesday, May 16, 2007, 09:34:27 PM »
Edit:
After looking at the above link.... there are improvements but... it just doesn't seem like enough of an improvement. Seems like a lazy effort when compared to Vegas and GoW.

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #19 on: Wednesday, May 16, 2007, 09:45:35 PM »
You're right, those screens must have looked really sweet in 1999...but then it was a game that wasn't going to hit for about 2 years anyways.  

As it was, right before MS bought bungie it the game was looking to hit at either the end of 2000 or begining of 2001 (assuming they hit their projected 'rough date'  I don't know how likely that was anyways).  Looking at the latest shots of that version, it wasn't anything special.  I'd say that both RtCW and Max Payne ended up looking a lot better and the final version of Halo that hit on the Xbox beats it hands down, which is saying quite a bit considering that the 'delay' was less than a year.  The level of improvement between the two versions is pretty big, and the lag between the original and probably very optimistic release date and the actual street date wasn't all that big.

Offline Ghandi

• HAMS
« Reply #20 on: Wednesday, May 16, 2007, 10:58:00 PM »
I just played this at my friends house for a few hours. No the graphics aren't much improved but the gameplay is vastly different from the second, and adheres more to the original. The gameplay is based more on skill than the second game, and there are lots of cool new weapons and whatnot to fool around with. I'd have to think that the graphics will be improved by the time it comes out. We will just see by how much.

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #21 on: Wednesday, May 16, 2007, 11:17:04 PM »
I love Halo but I never loved it for the multi-player. I played it for like 20 minutes on Halo 2 before I stopped.

That being said I can't wait till the 3rd one comes out! woooo!

Que and W&C agreed on something, and now you and I are in some semi agreement. What is going on here?

Offline sirean_syan

• Global Moderator
  • Post-aholic
« Reply #22 on: Wednesday, May 16, 2007, 11:35:51 PM »
For games like this, nothing that dramatic never changes within four months time. People always say, "Game X has six or less months left in developement. Things can improve." I can't think of a single major game that has managed to look substantially different or play differently within the last half year of developement. You have to remember, huge games always need to go gold around a month before release and all they really should be doing in the last months is fine tuning. You don't add polygons, major effects, new levels, or a texture overhaul pass this phase or, if you do, you delay the game another year.

Honestly, September seems pretty generous for the game. I'll be suprised if it makes Christmas.
« Last Edit: Thursday, May 17, 2007, 07:31:27 AM by sirean_syan »

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #23 on: Thursday, May 17, 2007, 12:37:19 AM »
Gamespot does a visual preview

The Halo 3 beta only includes three maps, but they all offer huge graphical upgrades over the maps in Halo 2. The Valhalla alpine-gorge-like map uses high-resolution granite textures, new plant life, new water effects, and excellent landscape design to create a breathtaking view. Bungie has also given caves and even building interiors a dramatic upgrade. Snowbound's icy tunnels have replaced harsh angles and bland wall textures with more believable curves and subtle surfaces. We got ourselves killed several times while examining the new water effects in Valhalla and High Ground. On the bright side, we've confirmed that your corpse will in fact float on top of the water for a few seconds before sinking to the floor.

The comparison screenshots have shown us that Halo 3 on the Xbox 360 has the graphics to be a worthy successor to Halo 2. We can't wait to see how the game looks when it ships on September 25, 2007.

Come on gspot!

I know gamers tend to bitch a lot, but it seems to me during the past year that journalists are out of touch with fan opinion. You just have to check out the gamespot, pcgamer and IGN forums to notice how opinions seem to differ. Again I know people just like to bitch a lot, but there seems to be a growing sentiment that these websites don't share the frustrations of their readers. Sometimes instead of being scathing they seem to be making excuses for these developers.

PCG was the only publication to acknowledge what a mess Dark Messiah and Double Agent were. Double Agent was particularly shitty for me, because bugs screw the game up the moment you change the default settings. PCG gave the game 66%, while IGN gave it 9.0 and Gamespot gave it 8.5. You just have to check out the gamespot forums to know how pissed people were.

I've been seeing tons of threads like these across the net. I personally tried to defend the writers of PCG and Gspot in that thread, but it seems to be a growing trend across the net. While I think people just like to bitch, and display their own immaturity by implying reviewers are corrupt whenever they have a different point of view, I do think there is a growing gap between fans and reviewers. It just annoys me when reviews act like the biggest fanboys and make excuses for any shortcomings a game has. Most writers seem to be very pro STEAM, Windows LIVE and a lot of this other crap.

IGN has been far more in touch with fan opinion with their Halo 3 impressions:

Link to IGN coverage page

The Halo 3 multiplayer beta is, um, well, more Halo.

I don't know what I was expecting. The hype is getting so great that I would not have been surprised if a harem of Dallas Cowboy cheerleaders wearing nothing but gold body-paint exploded out of the console as soon as I hit start.

Instead I got more Halo.

It's no revolutionary new sequel, it's not set in an open-world and it doesn't now feature a stealth meter or cover system. It's the same action-packed, bunny-hopping, grenade-lobbing, beat-down-from-behind multiplayer shooter that we've come to know and love. In the same way Halo 2 felt like the original Halo with additional vehicle jacking, dual wielding and a crappier pistol, Halo 3 feels like Halo 2 with additional bubble shields and giant lasers.

And man cannons.

What you notice first about Halo 3 is literally the first thing you see: the graphics. Maybe Microsoft shot itself in the foot with the gorgeous CG "Starry Night" trailer, or even the very first trailer that shows the Chief looking over a giant crater as dozens of Covenant ships invade Earth. We were expecting a bit more. Instead, the visuals look like a high-res Halo 2 with some nice new rag doll physics and pretty water. The rocks and trees are especially bland. It's still a great looking game, but fans were probably expecting Halo 3 to at least challenge Gears of War as one of the best-looking games on the console. As of now, it does not

Anyway I had a look at some of the vids. While the game still looks like a lot of fun, it just looks like Halo 1 Expansion 2. Everything looks the exact same to me, and they haven't changed the weapons at all. I find that really odd.

All this makes me thing Bungie are a lazy bunch. They are basically using an update of the technology they made a decade ago. Mind you, it still looks like a lot of fun...

Offline scottws

• Gold Member
    • Facebook Me
« Reply #24 on: Thursday, May 17, 2007, 05:45:29 AM »
I don't think it's a matter of question that reviewers are corrupt.  Game review places get preview copies and I think in exchange for getting the game early they are kind of expected to prop it up a bit.  And I've heard all kinds of stories where the publisher of a game that was advertised on a site was given a poor review and the publisher was pissed off.

It's kind of like, "We give you money for your site and we gave you the game early.  Now its time for you to scratch our back."

Some of these reviews I've seen of the Halo 3 beta practically scream advertisement rather than unbiased critical review.

Offline HxCeddie

« Reply #25 on: Thursday, May 17, 2007, 07:05:05 AM »
The more I play the beta, the more it's growing on me. You know, it really is the same thing as the previous Halo games, but shit, it's still so much fun on multiplayer (Aside from the bro dudes who act like jackasses and keep TKing). Now that I've learned to take my expectations down a little bit, I've come to realize that the transition from Halo 1 - Halo 2 wasn't that drastic either, so why should it be drastic from Halo 2 - Halo 3?

So yeah, I'm having fun for now, but as of right now, Mass Effect and Too Human take over as my most anticipated releases for Fall for the 360.

P.S. - FUCK THE SPARTAN LASER!!!! SO FUCKING CHEAP!!!! AHHHHHHH!!!!!

Offline HxCeddie

« Reply #26 on: Thursday, May 17, 2007, 07:34:50 AM »
One more thing, I will hand it to Bungie when it comes to the sound department because the gun fire sounds are awesome in the game. When playing Valhalla, you can hear the muted, echoing gunfire in the distance and it sounds amazingly good with surround sound speakers.

Offline beo

• Veteran
« Reply #27 on: Thursday, May 17, 2007, 07:37:43 AM »
the transition from Halo 1 - Halo 2 wasn't that drastic either, so why should it be drastic from Halo 2 - Halo 3?

why? because it's on an entirely new console! if games are no more visually impressive on the new hardware, then what was the point of upgrading?

Offline scottws

• Gold Member
    • Facebook Me
« Reply #28 on: Thursday, May 17, 2007, 09:12:30 AM »
but as of right now, Mass Effect and Too Human take over as my most anticipated releases for Fall for the 360.
Wow. Too Human actually has a release date?  I thought I'd never see the day.

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #29 on: Thursday, May 17, 2007, 10:02:52 AM »
Some of these reviews I've seen of the Halo 3 beta practically scream advertisement rather than unbiased critical review.
You should read some of the Halo 2 Vista reviews. So far they all read like they are going off some MS supplied review template. First mention how this is still the "same great Halo 2 you remember" instead of, you know, reviewing the game itself. I got into an argument with someone over that. They said we shouldn't compare it to more recent PC games because it was originally released 2.5 years ago. I argue that we should compare it to new PC shooters as long as MS wants to charge new PC game prices. $50 for Halo 2 when I can get Stalker or Fear instead?

But I digress. The reviews are: assume the reader has played and loved Halo 2 instead of talking about the gameplay, mention how awesome tray-and-play is, GFW Live is just like the Xbox (which is great!), multiplayer is the same and as awesome as you've obviously played before, theres a map editor, and final score. Of the 4-5 reviews I've read they have all been like that. Heh...one actually had this to say

Graphics: 9.4
Even brighter and cleaner than before, a complete overhaul was done and it shows. These are some of the finest visuals out there, and explains why you need a very hot PC and graphics card.
Obviously a site that you can't really trust. Some of the finest visuals out there? Have they not looked at any game in 4 years?

Offline scottws

• Gold Member
    • Facebook Me
« Reply #30 on: Thursday, May 17, 2007, 10:04:46 AM »
Hahaha.  No kidding.  That's pretty bad.  What's the site?  Maybe I'll send them an e-mail.

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #31 on: Thursday, May 17, 2007, 10:19:28 AM »
Gamezone

Enjoy.

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #32 on: Thursday, May 17, 2007, 01:14:47 PM »
E-mailing as well.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
  • OWNet 4 Eternity & Beyond
« Reply #33 on: Thursday, May 17, 2007, 01:56:08 PM »
You should read some of the Halo 2 Vista reviews. So far they all read like they are going off some MS supplied review template. First mention how this is still the "same great Halo 2 you remember" instead of, you know, reviewing the game itself. I got into an argument with someone over that. They said we shouldn't compare it to more recent PC games because it was originally released 2.5 years ago. I argue that we should compare it to new PC shooters as long as MS wants to charge new PC game prices. $50 for Halo 2 when I can get Stalker or Fear instead?
I'd rather go for STALKER or FEAR, myself.

I was so dis-enchanted w/ Halo 1 PC --- namely after The Flood and w/ the horrid technical execution of the game -- is that I expect Halo 2 PC to be "more of the same".

But I digress. The reviews are: assume the reader has played and loved Halo 2 instead of talking about the gameplay, mention how awesome tray-and-play is, GFW Live is just like the Xbox (which is great!), multiplayer is the same and as awesome as you've obviously played before, theres a map editor, and final score. Of the 4-5 reviews I've read they have all been like that.
The true mark of a great game is if say it was on the consoles a few years ago and you never played it, but then you play it on the PC many years later -- yet, it plays great and you really like it. Jade PC was that way.

Halo 1 PC was not. It felt like the average run-of-the-mill shooter, once The Flood came and b/c of the technical performance issues -- which should've never been there, in the first place.

Obviously a site that you can't really trust. Some of the finest visuals out there? Have they not looked at any game in 4 years?
Oblivion and F.E.A.R. -- now *those* visuals look great.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #34 on: Thursday, May 17, 2007, 06:02:09 PM »
It's stuff like this that makes me weep for the industry.  We're going to become just another fucking Hollywood.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #35 on: Thursday, May 17, 2007, 06:15:14 PM »
It's stuff like this that makes me weep for the industry.  We're going to become just another fucking Hollywood.

For every FPS mediocrity like Halo PC, there'll be a great FPS like Deus Ex that won't get the recognition it deserves.

Bah!

Offline angrykeebler

• Veteran
« Reply #36 on: Thursday, May 17, 2007, 06:51:24 PM »
man! forget you Halo haters! i will play Halo 3 and it will own and i will probably wet my fanboy pants.

kk tmi
Suck it, Pugnate.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #37 on: Monday, September 17, 2007, 02:08:21 PM »
You just knew this was gonna happen...

Halo 3 Ending Already Leaked
One grainy video, potentially millions of crying voices.
By Kris Pigna, 09/17/2007
You won't find the video here, nor links to where to see it -- consider this more of a friendly warning. Kotaku reports that a cell-phone-captured video of Halo 3's ending has been leaked onto the net.

After just a little digging, we indeed found a video that -- while grainy and of low quality -- seemed to be legit. No word on how it got leaked or who the evil, unscrupulous culprit was, but considering ostensibly real copies of the game can already be bought on eBay right now, the world may never know.

So, be wary, Halo fans -- Master Chief's grand finale lurks in the shadows of the Internet.

Offline angrykeebler

• Veteran
« Reply #38 on: Monday, September 17, 2007, 02:41:13 PM »
mmmm halo 3
Suck it, Pugnate.

Offline ScaryTooth

• Veteran
« Reply #39 on: Wednesday, September 19, 2007, 05:58:13 PM »
So, I was planning on getting this, but I started thinking about how much the first two kind of sucked ass. Well, they were okay games I guess. I just kind of want it for the multiplayer. I'm sure the single player campaign like the previous two are lackluster as all hell.