Author Topic: Resident Evil 4 PC -> Update: HD version w/ Steamworks support & 60 FPS coming  (Read 7747 times)

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
  • OWNet 4 Eternity & Beyond
NEW -> 01-25-2014:
Capcom Unity -> Comparisons of upcoming RE4 HD PC version (supporting Steamworks) vs. the original RE4 PC release.
Destructoid -> RE4 HD PC version coming to Steamworks w/ hi-def textures, hi-res support, 60 FPS, Steam cards support, Steam Achievements, Steam Leaderboards, controller support.

OLD:
FINALLY, Res Evil 4 is here on the PC, after its delays and all.
And, it'll only gonna' retail for $20.
That's pretty cheap for a port -- most console-to-PC ports, go for the usual $40-50 tag upon release; like say Jade Empire PC, Fable: TLC PC, and Halo 2 PC.
Let's hope this console-to-PC port is done some justice, in technical performance (framerate) and w/ the controls.

Ships Ahoy - Resident Evil 4 [May 17, 2007, 8:18 pm ET] - Viewing Comments
Ubisoft announces the US release of the PC edition of Resident Evil 4:

SAN FRANCISCO – May 17, 2007 – Today Ubisoft, one of the world's largest video game publishers, announced that resident evil® 4 for the PC has shipped to retailers nationwide. Widely recognized as the Game of the Year of 2005, resident evil 4 is the latest installment in Capcom's critically acclaimed survival horror franchise, resident evil. The game has an ESRB rating of "M” for Mature and an MSRP of $19.99.

"Ubisoft is excited to be bringing one of the industry's most innovative titles, resident evil 4, which has been recognized by many publications and organizations as the best game of the year for 2005, to PC gamers,” said Tony Key, vice president of marketing at Ubisoft U.S.

About resident evil 4: The game brings players to a mysterious location in Europe as U.S. agent Leon Kennedy looks into the abduction of the president's daughter. Encountering unimaginable horrors, he must find out what is behind the terror.

• New chapters – play as Ada Wong in "Separate Ways,” five terrifying, adrenaline-pumping missions that reveal additional horrific surprises
        • New weapons, including the P.R.L.412 laser cannon and the Gunpowder Bowgun
        • New unlockable costumes for Leon and Ashley
        • Unsurpassed visuals with breathtaking 3D graphics and effects
        • Fast-paced, edge-of-your-seat action
        • New gameplay mechanics – behind-the-back camera perspective and hit zone aiming system.

For more information on resident evil 4, please visit: http://ww2.capcom.com/ResidentEvil
« Last Edit: Saturday, January 25, 2014, 07:10:18 AM by MysterD »

Offline nickclone

• Veteran
Re: Resident Evil 4 PC finally is here!
« Reply #1 on: Thursday, May 17, 2007, 10:21:29 PM »
I heard it was graphically inferior to the GC version and doesn't have mouse support.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #2 on: Sunday, May 20, 2007, 10:40:15 AM »
What Nick says is pretty much very true, according to a review from Pro G UK -- lack of mouse support.
ActionTrip says don't play this PC game w/out a controller.

Some Reviews
----------------
7.0 (out of 10) from Pro-G UK
86% (out of 100) from ActionTrip

Offline sirean_syan

• Global Moderator
  • Post-aholic
« Reply #3 on: Sunday, May 20, 2007, 11:37:52 AM »
Wow. The game looks like shit according to those screenshots... even compared to the PS2 shots I remember. It was like they just didn't bring over any of the filtering or atmosphere effects that made the game look awesome on consoles. That's a shame.

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #4 on: Sunday, May 20, 2007, 11:53:44 AM »
Do they actually want to sell this shit?

Offline scottws

• Gold Member
    • Facebook Me
« Reply #5 on: Sunday, May 20, 2007, 12:38:59 PM »
That's funny.  If you read the quote from MysterD, it says "unsurpassed visuals."

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #6 on: Sunday, May 20, 2007, 03:29:17 PM »
That's funny.  If you read the quote from MysterD, it says "unsurpassed visuals."

Well, what do you expect?
Ubi is really trying to pimp their game w/ that "Press Release."

Visuals ain't gonna be the best thing about this game -- from the screens, it really don't look like it is adopting any new Pixel Shader 3.0 features or any of the new tech stuff for the PC port of the game.

From the reviews, it looks like a straight port. Not much changed, visually. No mouse support. I guess they figured it's best to keep a console game a console-style game, so you're best off w/ the controller support here. I guess, at least they ain't charging some odd $50 for such an un-enhanced, lazy port of the game -- like Microsoft did w/ Halo 2 PC for Vista.

Offline sirean_syan

• Global Moderator
  • Post-aholic
« Reply #7 on: Sunday, May 20, 2007, 04:44:30 PM »
Having played and loved it, stuff did change visually. It got worse.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
Re: Resident Evil 4 PC finally is here...
« Reply #8 on: Sunday, May 20, 2007, 08:08:39 PM »
I remember GPW saying it looked like the took out the lighting.  I didn't believe him and thought that was impossible.  I owe him an apology, because those screenshots look exactly like that.  Like they just ripped out the lighting.  God, those are horrible!

天才的な閃きと平均以下のテクニックやな。 課長有野

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #9 on: Sunday, May 20, 2007, 08:18:45 PM »
There was a patch released for the foreign versions that put the lighting back in. Did they not have that built in for the US release?

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #10 on: Sunday, May 20, 2007, 08:45:19 PM »
There was a patch released for the foreign versions that put the lighting back in. Did they not have that built in for the US release?

No clue.

Who knows -- I mean, this is a Ubisoft published port...

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #11 on: Sunday, May 20, 2007, 09:06:17 PM »
You make Ubisoft sound so horrible. The PoP ports turned out quite well, and I've got a bunch of other Ubi published games that are just fine.

This is a Capcom port. Capcom ports ALWAYS suck.

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #12 on: Sunday, May 20, 2007, 10:40:20 PM »
Haha that explains a lot! This whole time you guys were saying how great it looks etc. I was playing the game on PC thinking "What the Hell are they talking about?? This looks like hooker-at-the-pier ass!"

I've got the Thai version "Biohazard 4" so I'm thinking about trying it again with the Lighting patch that was released. The controls are a bitch, but I can tolerate them if the story is worth it.

Offline sirean_syan

• Global Moderator
  • Post-aholic
« Reply #13 on: Sunday, May 20, 2007, 10:58:24 PM »
Huh. I think I saw a picture post lighting patch and it still doesn't look nearly as good. Total shame.

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #14 on: Sunday, May 20, 2007, 11:12:49 PM »
This is Ubisoft? It all makes sense now.

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #15 on: Monday, May 21, 2007, 09:29:46 PM »
I remember GPW saying it looked like the took out the lighting.  I didn't believe him and thought that was impossible.  I owe him an apology, because those screenshots look exactly like that.  Like they just ripped out the lighting.  God, those are horrible!

I know, I had trouble believing it myself at first, but there were so many shots posted on an article at digg that I kind of had to come to accept it.  Personally, I'm really let down.  The mouse and keyboard support is one thing and has a pretty good explanation.  The level of speed and precision that mouse aiming grants would really take away from the suspense of the game, and that's a main component of RE4.  If you play games on your PC you probably should have a gamepad anyways, and some games do just work better with a pad.  The option would be nice, but the mouse sensitivity would probably have to be jacked way down to give the same experience anyways. 

The lighting, on the other hand, is just plain straight up bad Capcom porting.  UBI published the game, but it was still developed by Capcom, and they have some of the worst pc ports I've come across.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #16 on: Monday, May 21, 2007, 09:33:55 PM »
Yeah, that doesn't even make sense.  I agree with the lack of mouse support, though.  This game would completely suck with a mouse.  It was built for a gamepad and wouldn't translate well to anything else.  But the lighting... how they could fuck that up is beyond me.

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday, May 22, 2007, 01:02:46 AM »
Yeah, that doesn't even make sense.  I agree with the lack of mouse support, though.  This game would completely suck with a mouse.  It was built for a gamepad and wouldn't translate well to anything else.  But the lighting... how they could fuck that up is beyond me.
I don't know about the mouse thing.. I mean the game could by all means have controls just like Cold Fear, where the mouse is only really active when you aim. That's the only time I'd ever use it anyway, and trying to pin-point a target with the gamepad is more tedious than fun.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #18 on: Tuesday, May 22, 2007, 06:52:27 AM »
Eh.  Can't say I agree, but whatever.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #19 on: Wednesday, June 06, 2007, 02:43:00 PM »
This is in regards to the GFW Podcast (which Idol mentioned on our Shadowrun thread)

Interesting, that the PC USA version got much better graphics and improved textures over the Euro version.

It's interestin' that there's a "mouselook hack", some modder has a made for this game.

And WTF at them mentioning that there is no actual way to quit this game out from the game menu?!?!?!?
Are you freakin' kidding me???!?!
So, you actually have to Alt-Tab and close it from Task Manager?!???!?!?

Offline scottws

• Gold Member
    • Facebook Me
« Reply #20 on: Thursday, November 27, 2008, 08:34:19 AM »
I'm going to resurrect this ancient thread to state that I finally started playing Resident Evil 4 on Wii.  Holy hell either this game is really fucking hard or I really suck at games now.  I can't even get past the 10 minute stage in this game.  I go into a little town, everyone chases me, and I die.

Once I holed up in a little house and wasted anyone that came through the door, but then I heard glass break and I turn around and there are three psychos standing right there, and I get impaled to death with pitchforks and scythes.  I have no idea how they all piled through the broken window so quickly.  Another time I found a shotgun but a chainsaw guy ended up cutting my head off even though I pumped about 5 shells at near point-blank range into his skull.

What the fuck is with this game?  This is crazy!

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #21 on: Thursday, November 27, 2008, 08:38:16 AM »
I don't recall the PC version being easy. It wasn't ridiculously hard, either.

Of course, I think I was playing on default difficulty.

I don't know about the Wii controls (I don't own a Wii); so, I don't know if it's easier to play with that Wii controller or say the usual type of controller (X360 pad, PC gamepad, or a Playstation type of controller).

Offline iPPi

• Roar!
« Reply #22 on: Thursday, November 27, 2008, 09:17:41 AM »
I'm going to resurrect this ancient thread to state that I finally started playing Resident Evil 4 on Wii.  Holy hell either this game is really fucking hard or I really suck at games now.  I can't even get past the 10 minute stage in this game.  I go into a little town, everyone chases me, and I die.

Once I holed up in a little house and wasted anyone that came through the door, but then I heard glass break and I turn around and there are three psychos standing right there, and I get impaled to death with pitchforks and scythes.  I have no idea how they all piled through the broken window so quickly.  Another time I found a shotgun but a chainsaw guy ended up cutting my head off even though I pumped about 5 shells at near point-blank range into his skull.

What the fuck is with this game?  This is crazy!

To be honest, that part of the game is probably the most difficult.  The goal of this section is to simply survive.  I think after a certain number of people or time, you will be safe.

And yes, it's not an easy game -- in fact the Wii version of the game is a lot easier because of the simpler aiming mechanism.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #23 on: Thursday, November 27, 2008, 09:48:31 AM »
Yeah, that's the hardest part.  Read a FAQ or something if you have to, because I forget the specifics.  But there are a number of ways to handle it, and different things happen depending on what you do (like the shotgun thing).  But yes, basically you just have to survive for a while.  I don't remember if you have to kill a certain number of people or just last long enough, but eventually the scenario will end and you shouldn't find anything quite so frustrating in the rest of the game.  I was fairly bewildered until I realized that if you last long enough it'll just stop, because they don't give you any indication of that.  It would be a pretty brilliant and effective scenario if it wasn't quite as hard as it was.  I see what they were going for, it's just a bit too difficult to have so early on.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
Re: Resident Evil 4 PC -> Update: HD version w/ Steamworks support & 60 FPS coming
« Reply #25 on: Saturday, August 06, 2022, 05:53:59 AM »
Resident Evil 4: Ultimate HD Edition (2013) [PC / Steam]:

INTRO.
Resident Evil 4 will always hold a special place in my heart, being both somehow my actual first RE game (how is this even possible, given that OG versions of RE1,2, and 3 were also on PC?) & my favorite RE game. For a long time, RE4 to me was the best RE game, until recently RE2 Remake came along & flipped my world upside down.

RE4 a long time ago was brought to the PC at retail (on disc in 2006) & while it certainly was a great game, that RE4: OG PC Version was best played with the controller since the PC controls were a mess (i.e. not mouse-friendly, it lacked mouse-look & you had to use the cursors keys or whatever you mapped them to for aiming) & was unfortunately a very bare bones port of this classic.

Still, it was better to have something than nothing, since RE4 was & still is such a great game - but that original lackluster PC port lacked a lot of the great mouse-look & the proper porting process which later went into RE5 (Resident Evil 5) & pretty much every PC port of a RE game that came here to the PC after RE4. While there was a mod to add mouse-aim & whatnot, fixing the OG RE4 PC version & all - but the problem here was that I could never getting that mod working on Windows 7 or W10 unfortunately. Well, Capcom took another crack at RE4 here w/ a re-release in 2014; enter this RE4: Ultimate HD Edition (2014) which is here on Steam to solve all of those problems, which is easily the best PC version of RE4 by far.

ULTIMATE RE4.
You have plenty of options here in RE4: UHD [Steam-version] here on PC...such as support for higher-resolutions (such as 1080p); AA features; old graphics textures and new graphics textures options; 60fps support this time around is allowed (the original RE4 PC port was locked to 30fps, BTW); & a few other graphical features.

Oh, and there's even support for Achievements here on RE4: UHD on PC, which is always welcome to keep players Achieving things in-game and also for replay-ability. This game straight-up supports the mouse now & mouse-look out-the-box & it plays great, playing how you'd normally play a modern RE game since say RE5. Sure, you can still use a gamepad, if you like - and I use the old USB-based Xbox for Windows PC Controller here, BTW - but now having mouse/keyboard support feels great just for aiming down the barrel properly right out-the-box, as you'd expect from any other PC game with shooting.

Performance was perfectly fine on my aging gaming laptop with an i7 4720HQ, 16 GB RAM, 2 TB HDD, 4GB of VRAM on the GTX 960m & W10x64 at 1080p30fps. I also could easily max this out on my old gaming desktop at 1080p60fps loaded with the following specs: i7 950, 16 GB RAM, multiple HDD's, GTX 970 & W7 x64 - and this new RE4: UHD version ran smooth as butter & both ran & looked much better than the original version of RE4 from retail on disc.

RE4 TWEAKS.
Using a mod called RE4 Tweaks for RE4: UHD, you now have even more options than what the dev's (QLOC and Capcom) intended. With even more graphical features & support - utilizing this on RE4: UHD is a great idea. Not only that, but it also gives the cut-scenes full-blown Subtitles support in English, which for some reason wasn't in any version of RE4 on PC. Having this mod is a must here, even if it's just for utilizing Subtitle-support here - but you can do a lot more w/ that than just that.

MR. KENNEDY. KENNEDY.
In this game, you play Leon S. Kennedy, the veteran cop who was in RE2. The U.S. President's daughter (Ashley) gets kidnapped...and Leon has to basically go down to a foreign country; investigate the village there; find Ashley & try to return her home. Of course, this isn't everything...as there's a mysterious cult causing all kinds of problems there & is up to no good too, as a virus outbreaking is happening there. Of course, some familiar faces from previous RE games return & all kinds of madness here is breaking loose, as Leon is here to save Ashley & the world here.

While the story is rich plot-wise & character-wise & whatnot for its execution - well, it can sometimes get corny, not be not written that hot, over-the-top, and/or things of that sort - though there's still a level of ambition & charm here to it all...even when it sometimes it's not spectacularly written and often can make you smile with its charm, with, cheese, and/or being straight-up campy, whether it's purposely done...or not. Still, for the most part, a lot of this is executed quite well with great cinematic cut-scenes, tons of plot & story to follow and whatnot...and this is especially true for a game during this time period for when this game was first released (2005 on consoles & 2006 on PC).

COMBAT & GAMEPLAY.
Combat here is in 3rd person viewpoint, right behind the character that you're playing as...which mostly will be Leon, throughout this experience. A lot of survival-horror games didn't have this viewpoint, as it was usually fixed camera angles wherever the developer(s) wanted the camera to just be & sit there - so this was influential to the genre. One of the things worth noting here is that combat does not allow you to move you feet, once you aim - you stand-still and you aim & shoot - which to me always seemed weird, as I'm used to PC games like FPS's where you can both move and aim & shoot simultaneously.

Though, while this isn't a cover behind a wall type of mechanic - it still has that feel of pop & shoot even, like say those cover-based games have...since you can't move your feet when aiming. Other than that minor & odd complaint, the player still can get used to this quick, once you realize it ain't that big of a deal...and also how well this game itself & its levels and enemies are actually designed. The controls for combat are smooth & all here, getting away from the tank-controls and fixed camera angles in previous games and other survivor-horror games like earlier Silent Hill games. This new style here in RE4 is basically the foundation for the future of RE franchise....except in future RE's, you will be able to also both move your feet & character while you aim & shoot too.

Also, during some cut-scenes & whatnot, you'll have to properly match up the controls on-screen with what the character is doing on-screen, in Quick-Time Events (QTE's), which are similar to these QTE's you've seen in Shenmue games and/or in David Cage's games from Quantic Dream. This game had them on & off and here & there, doesn't beat you over the head with them thankfully unlike some other games do, so that you don't grow tired of the QTE's.

Also, the Inventory here is a separate screen here & pauses combat when used - and you will be constantly jumping between this & combat constantly while playing; especially later on when you got more weapons, enemies & whatnot on-screen. More modern RE's like RE2 Remake & RE3 Remake also have you access a Quick-Inventory style Inventory (similar to Fallout 4's Quick-Loot) not on a separate screen entirely, but also while you're in the middle of gameplay & combat, not stopping any action on-screen, which still can keep the flow of combat going.

PUZZLING.
As usual per RE titles, there are puzzles here - though, there's nothing ridiculous & outlandish here on that front. No obscure puzzles and/or answers...and/or anything of that sort. You'll often have to get through an area and/or labyrinth of a level; defeat a bunch of monsters; find some items; see if you can combine said items; and then advance to the next part. Some enemies and boss fights, you can't just use straight-up taking them down, as you'll need to use smarts and/or figure out how to defeat them, in a puzzle sort of way. Some boss fights, are a combo of smarts and/or using the right weapon or item to hurt them...and then defeat them.

UPGRADES & TREASURES.
Throughout the game, you'll run into a Travelling Merchant, who you can buy equipment from. You can buy all kinds of different items, guns, armor, and/or other stuff. You can also sell items to the Merchant & even upgrade you equipment too - giving the game a somewhat lite-RPG feel here. While you can't upgrade yourself, you can upgrade your weapons & equipment here. It's always keeping you playing & aiming to get that next weapon, upgrade, item, equipment, or whatever. Some treasures you find, you can actually combine and then sell them for more $, if you can figure out which ones to combine to make a special items more valuable & whatnot.

OUTRO.
After almost 28 hours here (around 27h24m) or so w/ the Base-Game, RE4: UHD version was finished & added to the book. That certainly isn't the end of things, as there is an extra campaign here too (Ada's Campaign of Separate Ways - and yes, I will get to that at some point) & other modes (like Mercenaries) that you can unlock when you finish the Base-Game's Campaign.

Regardless, RE4: UHD on Steam is a major improvement over the original RE4 Edition (2006). as this newer UHD Edition on Steam for the PC has improvements across the board w/ much better mouse-look controls for PC-style gameplay, better performance with also 60fps support, extra resolution support, more graphical bells & whistles, Steam Cloud Support, Steam Achievements, and improved support in other ways too.

RE4's UHD Edition on Steam is the best version of the game found on PC currently & the best way to play my personal favorite RE game, which is often - for very good reason - regarded and on many lists of critics & gamers alike for The Best Games Ever Made. Throw the RE4 Tweaks Mod on top of this version for a few more improvements & features and here you have absolutely the best way here to play RE4 on the PC.

Simply put: RE4 is nothing short of a masterpiece here as a game & to experience it in its best form in this UHD Edition with also the RE4 Tweaks Mod equipped is nothing short of awesome & a joy to play. This UHD version is a must-play game & a must-play version of this survival-horror classic.

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
Re: Resident Evil 4 PC -> Update: HD version w/ Steamworks support & 60 FPS coming
« Reply #26 on: Saturday, August 06, 2022, 02:19:35 PM »
Sounds pretty good. I should probably get around to playing RE4 at some point.