Author Topic: Brokeback lawsuit is tough.  (Read 13710 times)

Offline W7RE

• Post-aholic
Re: Brokeback lawsuit.
« Reply #40 on: Wednesday, May 23, 2007, 02:26:57 PM »
Quote from: nickclone
I have a question: do you all think that it was innapropiate because of its "R" rating or because of the gay sex?

This insinuates that the gay sex is the problem, which in turn insinuates that anyone who thinks the movie shouldn't have been shown, has a problem with gay people.

Quote from: nickclone
I still don't see what the big deal is, these kids see all of this shit in the real world. If this teacher showed "The Ten Commandments", this wouldn't be an issue.

This is where you bring in religion, trying to insinuate that the religious tyrants of the country who won't let you see your gay sex, are forcing the Ten Commandments down your throat.

Those 2 quotes add up to you calling us homophobic, religious zealots.

Offline beo

• Veteran
Re: Brokeback lawsuit is tough.
« Reply #41 on: Wednesday, May 23, 2007, 02:35:17 PM »
My question is what exactly was she trying to teach by showing the movie? Was showing the movie the best way to teach this or was there a better, less controversial way to teach it? I'm betting the latter.

Most likely she got it on netflix and just wanted to watch it.

haha, yeah you may well be right!

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #42 on: Wednesday, May 23, 2007, 02:41:16 PM »
Nicklone, this has nothing to do with homosexuality!

Offline angrykeebler

• Veteran
« Reply #43 on: Wednesday, May 23, 2007, 02:46:52 PM »
The only thing homosexual about this thread is Pugnate!
Suck it, Pugnate.

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #44 on: Wednesday, May 23, 2007, 05:10:56 PM »
Alright, look...this is not a case of public outrage, it's an isolated complaint and a lawsuit.  There is a huge difference between the two.  There's also a good chance the lawsuit will be thrown out...most of the 'ridiculous' lawsuit stories you hear about the american legal system are myths based on suits that never made it to actual court (others. like the Mcdonalds 'hot coffee' suit have the details wrong to make it seem more ridiculous than it was). 

You also have to be crazy if you think there wouldn't be a problem with Ten Commandments or Passion of the Christ being shown in a public school.  I'd be willing to wager that if we took a random sample of classes from all the states, showed them those movies in a blind trial, and waited for the complaints to come in that the showing of either of those two movies would raise more complaints across the board. 

As for this incident in and of itself, the teacher should be punished and possibly fired.  Not for the movie itself or the content held within but rather because of the extremely poor judgement she exhibited and the absolute lack of respect for the role and responsibilty she has as a public servent.  The movie has zero educational value, and while other movies are shown which also have zero educational value, they are also much less controversial.  If a movie is shown with provocative content in public school you'd be wise to make sure you had a rock solid reason for showing it.  Teaching children about sexuality is a very weak excuse in this case because it really doesn't do that and these kids have been bombarded with videos and guest speakers about this very subject since they hit grade 3 or 4 anyways. 

The lawsuit is a bit extreme, but that's for the judicial system to sort out. 

Offline nickclone

• Veteran
« Reply #45 on: Wednesday, May 23, 2007, 06:48:02 PM »
Alright, look...this is not a case of public outrage, it's an isolated complaint and a lawsuit.  There is a huge difference between the two.  There's also a good chance the lawsuit will be thrown out...most of the 'ridiculous' lawsuit stories you hear about the american legal system are myths based on suits that never made it to actual court (others. like the Mcdonalds 'hot coffee' suit have the details wrong to make it seem more ridiculous than it was). 

You also have to be crazy if you think there wouldn't be a problem with Ten Commandments or Passion of the Christ being shown in a public school.  I'd be willing to wager that if we took a random sample of classes from all the states, showed them those movies in a blind trial, and waited for the complaints to come in that the showing of either of those two movies would raise more complaints across the board. 

As for this incident in and of itself, the teacher should be punished and possibly fired.  Not for the movie itself or the content held within but rather because of the extremely poor judgement she exhibited and the absolute lack of respect for the role and responsibilty she has as a public servent.  The movie has zero educational value, and while other movies are shown which also have zero educational value, they are also much less controversial.  If a movie is shown with provocative content in public school you'd be wise to make sure you had a rock solid reason for showing it.  Teaching children about sexuality is a very weak excuse in this case because it really doesn't do that and these kids have been bombarded with videos and guest speakers about this very subject since they hit grade 3 or 4 anyways. 

The lawsuit is a bit extreme, but that's for the judicial system to sort out. 

But this isn't an isolated incident, its on the net, we're talking about it and I'm positive others are talking about it as well. It may not be on CNN, FOX News or MSNBC (as I know of), but it's definitely out there. I also don't have the same faith in our legal system as you do, but I guess its hit or miss.

I also disagree with that "Passion" would get more flack than "Brokeback", Christians make up about 70% of the US population. People who would get offended by the showing of a movie like "The Passion" are the minority. Hell, even I wouldn't sue if it were shown to my kids at school. I'd probably be upset, but I wouldn't sue or call for the teacher's job.

I'm not saying the teacher was right, but I also think the lawsuit is extreme.

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #46 on: Wednesday, May 23, 2007, 07:50:48 PM »
As far as we know, yes, it's totally an isolated incident.  I haven't heard of there being a recent surge in lawsuits brought against schools for showing Broke Back Mountain, and although I haven't looked, the reason I haven't come across this is because it doesn't exist.  One complaint - one lawsuit - hardly a litmus test of the views of the entire population.  I also stand by my statement that it's not a public outrage, that's just pure sensationalism.  Show me some evidence of this and I'll believe it.  Just because it's reported on and it's in the news does not in anyway mean that there's public outrage about it.  By that logic there's basically a full scale uprising going on right now because Paris Hilton was sentenced to do hard time.

And seriously, although over 70% of the american population writes down that they are christian under religious views on the census (so, really, make that over 70% of the people who correctly fill out a census form), that does not mean there would not be complaints if either movie was shown in school.  First off, a large portion of that 70% is bound to be not practicing, in the old school terms of "I was raised methodyst, but I haven't been to church since I was six" or "I was baptised, so I guess I'm Catholic".  Secondly, Do you really think every single one of those 70% supports religion taught in public schools?  You'd be a fool if you did.   

Anyways, you'd have grounds for complaints based on just the level of violence in passion - complaints from the religious and the non-religious alike.  Throw in the argument of teaching religion in school, an argument that has been brought up in the supreme court numerous times, and you'd have to be a completely biased to claim it wouldn't be an issue. 

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #47 on: Wednesday, May 23, 2007, 07:52:30 PM »
you'd have to be a completely biased to claim it wouldn't be an issue. 

Bingo.

天才的な閃きと平均以下のテクニックやな。 課長有野

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #48 on: Wednesday, May 23, 2007, 10:37:22 PM »
You know that would be the oddest thing, if there was suddenly a frequency of lawsuits for schools showing brokeback.

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #49 on: Wednesday, May 23, 2007, 11:09:24 PM »
You know that would be the oddest thing, if there was suddenly a frequency of lawsuits for schools showing brokeback.
Or if students get crafty and sneak Brokeback into class then claim the teachers made them watch it! Kinda like that South Park episode with the magic M word :P

Offline Folk

• Rookie
« Reply #50 on: Thursday, May 24, 2007, 08:33:45 AM »
I wonder if the notion of homosexuality as "disgusting" is due to nature or nurture?  I have all my cash on nurture.  No one is born into thinking boy on boy action is "gross," just like no kid is born thinking "black people are inferior to whites."  So- admit it or not, reacting in "disgust" to behavior is a clear sign of judgement and disapproval.  Talk is cheap- "I don't care what people do!" -actions speak much louder.  Don't try kidding yourself to think otherwise.

I have some questions. 

A male child that sees his father degrade, beat, or disrespect his mother is more likely to do the same to girls in his classroom.  Is it a teacher's place to try and inform the student that this is inappropriate behavior, or should the teacher simply stick to math/science/history lessons?

A hispanic girl is raised her whole life to be a good wife, a homemaker, and she's never been encouraged to pursue education outside of high school.  Is it a teacher's place to show the girl that her life can be so much more than she ever was taught, or should the teacher simply stick to math/science/history lessons?

I ask these both because my mother is a teacher.  My mother has faced both of these issues.  Her actions in these cases led to children whose futures were far brighter after they met my mother than before.  My mother has also been put in the Who's Who of Teaching about 20 times.  Teachers are more than simple educators of fact.  I believe it is also their role to expose kids to information and to experience outside of what a child might have witnessed on their own.  That's what separates a good teacher from a bad teacher.

If you want your kid to be a zombie to your will, then homeschool them.  If you want your kid to gain some practical, worldly education, send them to public schools.  If you want your kid to have a semi-zombie semi-worldly education, send them to private schools.  Personally, I hope my taxes go to hiring teachers that expand minds, not to teachers that keep kids living in the cave of family experience.

Brokeback Mountain is R because it deals with homosexuality in a semi-graphic manner.  Showing two guys sex, even if it's only implied (as in the movie), is far, far too terrifying for most audiences.  Heaven forbid two people love each other and want to express it through physical interaction.  Violence, on the other hand, well that is something that is great.  Let's show hate, killing, and destruction and make it more acceptable than consentual affection.  That makes a lot of sense.

Hell, look at most G-rated movies.  They almost ALL have some sort of violence in them.  They almost ALL have some sort of heterosexual romance in them.  Give me a break.  This world of double standards and false value systems is completely ridiculous.

Straight people need to get over themselves.

Oh- "Hi."  I come back after a long departure to find this junk.  It's kinda sad.  I mean, really, isn't shit like SC2 or something more worth you efforts than another drawn out "I don't hate homos, I just hate seeing them" conversation?

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #51 on: Thursday, May 24, 2007, 08:52:54 AM »
Hey folk, long time no see. You need to post more.

PS, don't dis on homeschoolers :P

Offline angrykeebler

• Veteran
« Reply #52 on: Thursday, May 24, 2007, 09:17:41 AM »
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_death_camp_of_tolerance

That episode summed up neatly how I feel. kthnxbye
Suck it, Pugnate.

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #53 on: Thursday, May 24, 2007, 10:55:45 AM »
Folk!  Long time no see.  I was thinking about you in these threads, this one and the one over on Serious Topics[Edit:  Actually, the other thread is right here, on rappers being tough.  I was confusing it with nick's fundamentalism thing.]  I was wondering on your take on it all.  I see your point.  I feel very similarly about discussions and depiction of heterosexual activities.  This society would much rather see their children exposed to portrayals of war than sex.  (Killing babies is alright, making them is not--you know the cliche.)  While I wish that things were different, the fact is that they are not, and that parents are fully entitled to determine if, when and how the taboo matters are openly discussed with their children.  A teacher can't take it upon herself to force the issue behind their backs in conspiratorial secrecy.  If you read my other post here, you no doubt noticed that I completely avoided focusing on the clandestine subject matter in the classroom.  It might just as easily have been communism, or some rabid anti-male sect of feminism.  I'd hate for the real point here to get lost in accusations of homophobia.
« Last Edit: Thursday, May 24, 2007, 11:23:10 AM by Cobra951 »

Offline Folk

• Rookie
« Reply #54 on: Thursday, May 24, 2007, 11:16:48 AM »
While I wish that things were different, the fact is that they are not, and that parents are fully entitled to determine if, when and how the taboo matters are openly discussed with their children.  A teacher can't take it upon herself to force the issue behind their backs in conspiratorial secrecy.
I'd agree that trying to keep the kids from telling their parents about the movie was a bad move on the teacher's part.  I think a parent's role is primarially to help a child understand the world they're exposed to.  This, in my opinion, doesn't include sheltering a child from such exposure.  Sheltering ultimately leads to confusion when a child is faced with something new.  Should everything be left up to the parents when it comes to exposure?  The easy answer is "Parents should be in control of their kids' content!" but we all know that is an impossible task.  Unless you're with your kids 24/7, filtering out the world around them, then you need to focus on providing your child with the tools for understanding new situations.  The little girl in this article could have been saved a lot of "trauma" had she been properly equipped to deal with the real world.

I'd hate for the real point here to get lost in accusations of homophobia.
I totally agree.  This could have been anything.  The problem with this thread and homophobia is the rather lame ways people go about declaring their tolerance.  All the "I just don't like seeing two guys kiss" crap is a load.  I mean, really, people need to stop kidding themselves when they say they're cool with something.  If I told you, "I don't mind black people until I see them on the street," I think it would be safe to say I have a problem with black people.  To argue otherwise would be rather ridiculous.  Your broccoli example doesn't quite cut it because broccoli is something you experience.  It's a physical sensation.  It's not a trained response based on decades of social training and ignorance.

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #55 on: Thursday, May 24, 2007, 11:45:49 AM »
The easy answer is "Parents should be in control of their kids' content!" but we all know that is an impossible task.  Unless you're with your kids 24/7, filtering out the world around them, then you need to focus on providing your child with the tools for understanding new situations.  The little girl in this article could have been saved a lot of "trauma" had she been properly equipped to deal with the real world.

I can tell you from personal experience that dedicated fulltime parents can and do filter all unwanted exposure from their children's lives, except for the time they spend in school.  When someone is determined to be vigilant, even schooltime is going to be structured to the point where only a failure of trust such as this one can lead to undesired exposures.  Brief random exceptions are going to be jarring to the child's indoctrination, and can be dealt with more easily as they happen.  The child is going to cling to the safe view of the world that loving parents provide, and will be only too happy to dismiss incongruous experiences along with the boogeyman.  As the teenage years advance, the "straight and narrow" becomes increasingly difficult, but then again, if the parents haven't by then done the job of molding the character of their child to reflect their own, they never will.  I'm sorry that you feel it is not up to parents to do this.  I couldn't disagree more.  Morality has nothing to do with fairness, and no one has the right to impose theirs on other families, not even out of some perceived sense of higher social purpose.

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #56 on: Thursday, May 24, 2007, 12:00:57 PM »
Come on Folk! If it was a case of two guys being affectionate etc., I wouldn't have had an issue with the movie being shown to kids.... really.

My problem was the fact that they were shown to have anal sex. How is that homophobia? If it was a hetrosexual couple, I'd have the same objections.

Offline W7RE

• Post-aholic
« Reply #57 on: Thursday, May 24, 2007, 12:03:57 PM »
Morality has nothing to do with fairness, and no one has the right to impose theirs on other families, not even out of some perceived sense of higher social purpose.

Offline Folk

• Rookie
« Reply #58 on: Thursday, May 24, 2007, 12:16:41 PM »
Well, in all fairness, Cobra, you do have more experience at being a parent than me (thank God!). I'm sure that parenthood comes with a different attachment to the raising of children than my own, rather utopian viewpoint.  I respect the difference.
I'm sorry that you feel it is not up to parents to do this.  I couldn't disagree more.  Morality has nothing to do with fairness, and no one has the right to impose theirs on other families, not even out of some perceived sense of higher social purpose.
That first part is a tad on the judgemental side.  I don't feel my lack of common viewpoint requires sympathy on your part. ;) As for the latter part, it's a toss up.  Morality of the family vs. morality of the society vs. morality of the individual- there's no clear-cut end all be all.  If a family teaches values that negatively affect society, then perhaps it is society's place to correct those values.  The same can be said about values that affect the life of the individual.  Who is really the deciding factor?  I don't think most people are really qualified for parenthood, nor is the government, nor are religious institutions.

At any rate, I'm gonna fly off into some grand existential conversation about life, living, existance, and universal love/compassion.  It's Utopian.  I know it.  I look at this story and I don't see what the initial problem was because I just don't agree with the popular concept of the family's role.

PUG- hehe.. they don't "show anal sex."  They show a guy spit in his hand and another guy wince.  It's not like they broke out the porn music and show the guy taking it missionary style or something.  Come on, you big prude. :P Why would anal sex be any different than vaginal sex anyway?  It's a dick.  It's a hole.  It's two people wanting to put dick in hole.  Why does it matter? oO

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #59 on: Thursday, May 24, 2007, 12:26:44 PM »
Yea I should be more clear.

It isn't just because it is 'anal sex'. The only reason I mentioned only anal sex, is because that was what was shown. If it were vaginal sex I'd have the same position. Any form of sex shouldn't be shown to twelve year olds in my opinion.

Also it is good to have you back here.

Care bears staaaareeee.

I preferred the cousins that had other animal forms. That lion one was cool.

Offline nickclone

• Veteran
« Reply #60 on: Thursday, May 24, 2007, 08:59:00 PM »
Fahrenheit 9/11 Shown By A Teacher

If you look at this first search, you'll that about half of the people here are ok with showing Fahrenheit 9/11. However, they'll only allow this if they also show Farenhype 9/11, a film where its sole purpose is to ridicule and debunk Fahrenheit 9/11. Whats the point of of showing Fahrenheit 9/11, if they're just going to follow it with  a movie that tries to make it irrelevant? It wouldn't be fair, these people want a biased view shown to their kids. The only fair thing to do would be to show a movie debunking Farenhype 9/11.

Brokeback Shown By A Teacher

I'm not sure what you need (personally) to experience to call something a "public outcry", gpw. I'd like to think this should be good enough, look at all the results pertaining to this case. Its not an isolated incident, its all over the net. ABC, MSNBC, Fox News,the Post, NY Times and every other major news outlet. Just because it didn't happen to you, someone you know or in your back yard, it doesn't mean it has been isolated. Its no more quarantined than Katrina, Iraq or 9/11, its out there man.

The Passion Shown By A Teacher

I was only able to find one article about The Passion being banned in a community college in Florida, the ban was later lifted. Other than that, the movie has been shown in schools, recommended by teachers and the target of field trips by whole church congregations (filled with children). Hell, most of the results of this search were people saying the same thing I was: comparing the consequences of showing this movie instead of Brokeback. I think we would be kidding ourselves if we thought the backlash of would be the same if this movie, where people saw as families in droves, were shown in schools.

It could be possible that the 70% of those Christians aren't full fledged Christians, but how do you know their Christian morals aren't still intact? How do you know that those non-full fledged Christians wouldn't take the side of their religion?

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #61 on: Thursday, May 24, 2007, 11:08:25 PM »
Well, in all fairness, Cobra, you do have more experience at being a parent than me (thank God!). I'm sure that parenthood comes with a different attachment to the raising of children than my own, rather utopian viewpoint.  I respect the difference.That first part is a tad on the judgemental side.  I don't feel my lack of common viewpoint requires sympathy on your part. ;) As for the latter part, it's a toss up.  Morality of the family vs. morality of the society vs. morality of the individual- there's no clear-cut end all be all.  If a family teaches values that negatively affect society, then perhaps it is society's place to correct those values.  The same can be said about values that affect the life of the individual.  Who is really the deciding factor?  I don't think most people are really qualified for parenthood, nor is the government, nor are religious institutions.

At this point, we need to defer to politics, don't we?  In effect it's a swearing match.  "Yes, I can force my morality on others!"  "No you can't!"  "Yes I can!!"  "No!  You CAN'T!!" ad nauseam.  It's an argument that someone is going to have to win and someone else is going to have to lose.  They may even trade places repeatedly, based on the political climate.

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #62 on: Friday, May 25, 2007, 12:43:18 AM »
Fahrenheit 9/11 Shown By A Teacher

If you look at this first search, you'll that about half of the people here are ok with showing Fahrenheit 9/11. However, they'll only allow this if they also show Farenhype 9/11, a film where its sole purpose is to ridicule and debunk Fahrenheit 9/11. Whats the point of of showing Fahrenheit 9/11, if they're just going to follow it with  a movie that tries to make it irrelevant? It wouldn't be fair, these people want a biased view shown to their kids. The only fair thing to do would be to show a movie debunking Farenhype 9/11.

Nicely done, you just managed to single handedly show what's wrong with the entire public school system as well as what will inevitably lead to the social decay of America in the near or not so near future.  I'll let you figure out how you did that - I'll give you a hint, it's the third sentence.

"  I'm not sure what you need (personally) to experience to call something a "public outcry", gpw. I'd like to think this should be good enough, look at all the results pertaining to this case. Its not an isolated incident, its all over the net. ABC, MSNBC, Fox News,the Post, NY Times and every other major news outlet. Just because it didn't happen to you, someone you know or in your back yard, it doesn't mean it has been isolated. Its no more quarantined than Katrina, Iraq or 9/11, its out there man."

I don't really need to expierience anything (personally), but seriously (and I'm trying not to be a dick here), you should probably learn the difference between the words 'public' and 'media' as well as 'outcry' and 'exposure', because aparently we're talking about two different things.  To illustrate:

"There was a huge public outcry when Apple released their video ipod"
http://www.googlefight.com/index.php?lang=en_GB&word1=brokeback+mountain+shown+by+a+teacher&word2=Video+Ipod+released

While you're in the dictionary there you might also want to read back and look at the context in which I used the word 'isolated'.
Here's another hint: Since all your google hits and media stories are only reffering to one incident, and that's what we're basing this on, we can therefore conclude that this (the situation including the complaint and lawsuit)is most likely an isolated incident. 

" I was only able to find one article about The Passion being banned in a community college in Florida, the ban was later lifted".
Yeah, that doesn't count.  It was banned from being shown on the premises of a community college (not the same thing as a public high school) by a student group.  Banned because risk-management dictated that the chances of a complaint and/or suit were high. 

"Other than that, the movie has been shown in schools,"

I see no evidence of this.  I'm not denying it hasn't happened, but you haven't put forth any evidence of it being shown in a public school classroom.  Now, that could mean it has been shown without incident, but I think given the secondary option (it just hasn't been shown), the fragmented religious views of the population, and the civil law enviroment in America, I'd bet on the later.

"recommended by teachers"
Irrelevant, the social or political views of public school teachers in not the basis of the argument at hand.  They can reccomend a student watch whatever they want (within reason I imagine) on their own time without fear of reprisal.  It's what they actually subject them to in the classroom that is the issue here (for most people, personally, I'm only criticizing the judgement of the teacher). 

field trips by whole church congregations (filled with children). "
Also Irrelevant (even more so this time).

"Hell, most of the results of this search were people saying the same thing I was: comparing the consequences of showing this movie instead of Brokeback."

Maybe so, but that doesn't actually prove (or really mean) anything.  A bunch of people on the internet compairing two movies which have been deemed controversial by certain groups?  It's not only an improper appeal to authority, it's also ludicrous that you'd think just mentioning that brings anything to the debate. 

I think we would be kidding ourselves if we thought the backlash of would be the same if this movie, where people saw as families in droves, were shown in schools.

WE would be, the backlash would be much more considering it would be very close to a breach of the "can not foster or preclude" rule of religion in public schools as well as the very strict "teachers and administrators are prohibited from encouraging or discouraging religion or religious beliefs" guideline.  And by guideline I mean 'lose your job, get a new career, change your name, and get ready to get your ass sued off because these are federal guidelines based on precedents set forth in supreme court ruilings" kind of guidleines. 

"It could be possible that the 70% of those Christians aren't full fledged Christians, but how do you know their Christian morals aren't still intact? How do you know that those non-full fledged Christians wouldn't take the side of their religion?"

To the first part of that, I don't know that, they probably are still in tact.  To the second part, I come to my conclusion through the following methods:

-First, I look at the fact that the majority of Americans filling out their census data and handing it it claim to be over 70% christian.
-Secondly, I make the educated assumption that these Americans are a large part of the portion of the population that feels some sort of civic duty or responsibility.  I base this on the fact that they participated in the census.
-I conclude that they are also likely to vote in elections and refferendums since their sense of civic duty would urge them to.
-I look at the fact that they are all of the same (general) religion, and as such are a segmented portion of society with many of the same concerns and values.  This cross cutting cleavage overrides other socio-political cleavages such as income, race, and georaphical location.  It enables them to be easily mobilized if need be, but it probably isn't needed because their values are already so inline.
-I think about my knowledge of the American political system, the nature of the democratic republic in itself, and the ammount of time it would take to 'stack the supreme court deck'
-I recall data on the declining percentage of the population that claims to be christians on census data in recent history.
-I note that America is in no way a theocracy at this point in time.
-I conclude, since chirstians have long been the overwhelming majority religion, as evidenced by the census data, and the educated assumption that those participating in the census also vote that since America is not a theocracy in any way, that a large majority of those over 70% believe in the seperation of church and state, the theory of the two swords, and are Americans first and Christians second.

Or I could just come to the conlusion by looking at the fact that religion in schools is still roughly 35 times as controversal as homosexuality in school.   

But, I'll go out of my way and give you the benefit of the doubt here.  Lets say they show it in schools all the time, and 70% of the kids and their families are totally in to it.  Do you seriously think that in a class of 35 the other 10 or so kids in that class wouldn't raise a complaint (and it only takes one for it to be a news story).  Atheists and agnostics aside, that leaves about 2 jewish, muslim, or whatever kids who's parents probably would not be happy.  Consideringt he lawsuit-trigger happy nature of your society do you really think they wouldn't raise hell when the rewards are so high and the probably of return is likewise high?  Fuck, that's also ignoring the Protestant denominations that publicly took issue with the film.  The likely hood for trouble when showing Passion of the Christ far outweighs that of Brokeback Mountain.  Precedent has been set, and even if the school/teacher/board could somehow argue that it was being taught based on historical signifigance (with some christian movies this is allowed, here it wouldn't fly) they still have to deal with the question of why they are showing such objectable content in a public school.

Offline TheOtherBelmont

• Post-aholic
« Reply #63 on: Friday, May 25, 2007, 12:52:30 AM »
What I don't get is why the movie was even shown in the first place ( sexual content of the movie aside), it doesn't really have any educational value, at least none that I can think of, it is more or less a love story.  Also, the teacher knew what she was doing would get her in trouble, showing a Rated R movie to 12 year olds is going to piss someone's parents off whether it has gay or straight sex.  In high school, we had to get a permission slip signed just to watch Braveheart for our World History class (we were studying the Dark and Medieval Ages) because of the violence (the teacher even went through the trouble of editing the sex scene out of the movie) if the teacher who showed Brokeback Mountain didn't want to get in trouble she should have covered her ass better than she did.

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #64 on: Friday, May 25, 2007, 12:55:03 AM »
In high school, we had to get a permission slip signed just to watch Braveheart for our World History class

OK that's weird. Braveheart had very little historical accuracy.

Offline TheOtherBelmont

• Post-aholic
« Reply #65 on: Friday, May 25, 2007, 01:01:29 AM »

True, she even pointed that out, I mainly brought it up though because of the permission slip.

Offline Ghandi

• HAMS
« Reply #66 on: Friday, May 25, 2007, 06:38:01 AM »

Lies. My whole understanding of that time period comes from Braveheart.

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #67 on: Friday, May 25, 2007, 07:34:31 AM »
Did a search on google:

http://www.atfantasy.com/view/The%20Dreaded%20History%20and%20Braveheart%20Rant

It is still my all time favorite movie, Braveheart is. I love it to death...

FREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDOOOOOOOOOOMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM MMMMMMMM

Offline nickclone

• Veteran
« Reply #68 on: Saturday, May 26, 2007, 12:25:07 AM »
Nicely done, you just managed to single handedly show what's wrong with the entire public school system as well as what will inevitably lead to the social decay of America in the near or not so near future.  I'll let you figure out how you did that - I'll give you a hint, it's the third sentence.

"  I'm not sure what you need (personally) to experience to call something a "public outcry", gpw. I'd like to think this should be good enough, look at all the results pertaining to this case. Its not an isolated incident, its all over the net. ABC, MSNBC, Fox News,the Post, NY Times and every other major news outlet. Just because it didn't happen to you, someone you know or in your back yard, it doesn't mean it has been isolated. Its no more quarantined than Katrina, Iraq or 9/11, its out there man."

I don't really need to expierience anything (personally), but seriously (and I'm trying not to be a dick here), you should probably learn the difference between the words 'public' and 'media' as well as 'outcry' and 'exposure', because aparently we're talking about two different things.  To illustrate:

"There was a huge public outcry when Apple released their video ipod"
http://www.googlefight.com/index.php?lang=en_GB&word1=brokeback+mountain+shown+by+a+teacher&word2=Video+Ipod+released

While you're in the dictionary there you might also want to read back and look at the context in which I used the word 'isolated'.
Here's another hint: Since all your google hits and media stories are only reffering to one incident, and that's what we're basing this on, we can therefore conclude that this (the situation including the complaint and lawsuit)is most likely an isolated incident. 

" I was only able to find one article about The Passion being banned in a community college in Florida, the ban was later lifted".
Yeah, that doesn't count.  It was banned from being shown on the premises of a community college (not the same thing as a public high school) by a student group.  Banned because risk-management dictated that the chances of a complaint and/or suit were high. 

"Other than that, the movie has been shown in schools,"

I see no evidence of this.  I'm not denying it hasn't happened, but you haven't put forth any evidence of it being shown in a public school classroom.  Now, that could mean it has been shown without incident, but I think given the secondary option (it just hasn't been shown), the fragmented religious views of the population, and the civil law enviroment in America, I'd bet on the later.

"recommended by teachers"
Irrelevant, the social or political views of public school teachers in not the basis of the argument at hand.  They can reccomend a student watch whatever they want (within reason I imagine) on their own time without fear of reprisal.  It's what they actually subject them to in the classroom that is the issue here (for most people, personally, I'm only criticizing the judgement of the teacher). 

field trips by whole church congregations (filled with children). "
Also Irrelevant (even more so this time).

"Hell, most of the results of this search were people saying the same thing I was: comparing the consequences of showing this movie instead of Brokeback."

Maybe so, but that doesn't actually prove (or really mean) anything.  A bunch of people on the internet compairing two movies which have been deemed controversial by certain groups?  It's not only an improper appeal to authority, it's also ludicrous that you'd think just mentioning that brings anything to the debate. 

I think we would be kidding ourselves if we thought the backlash of would be the same if this movie, where people saw as families in droves, were shown in schools.

WE would be, the backlash would be much more considering it would be very close to a breach of the "can not foster or preclude" rule of religion in public schools as well as the very strict "teachers and administrators are prohibited from encouraging or discouraging religion or religious beliefs" guideline.  And by guideline I mean 'lose your job, get a new career, change your name, and get ready to get your ass sued off because these are federal guidelines based on precedents set forth in supreme court ruilings" kind of guidleines. 

"It could be possible that the 70% of those Christians aren't full fledged Christians, but how do you know their Christian morals aren't still intact? How do you know that those non-full fledged Christians wouldn't take the side of their religion?"

To the first part of that, I don't know that, they probably are still in tact.  To the second part, I come to my conclusion through the following methods:

-First, I look at the fact that the majority of Americans filling out their census data and handing it it claim to be over 70% christian.
-Secondly, I make the educated assumption that these Americans are a large part of the portion of the population that feels some sort of civic duty or responsibility.  I base this on the fact that they participated in the census.
-I conclude that they are also likely to vote in elections and refferendums since their sense of civic duty would urge them to.
-I look at the fact that they are all of the same (general) religion, and as such are a segmented portion of society with many of the same concerns and values.  This cross cutting cleavage overrides other socio-political cleavages such as income, race, and georaphical location.  It enables them to be easily mobilized if need be, but it probably isn't needed because their values are already so inline.
-I think about my knowledge of the American political system, the nature of the democratic republic in itself, and the ammount of time it would take to 'stack the supreme court deck'
-I recall data on the declining percentage of the population that claims to be christians on census data in recent history.
-I note that America is in no way a theocracy at this point in time.
-I conclude, since chirstians have long been the overwhelming majority religion, as evidenced by the census data, and the educated assumption that those participating in the census also vote that since America is not a theocracy in any way, that a large majority of those over 70% believe in the seperation of church and state, the theory of the two swords, and are Americans first and Christians second.

Or I could just come to the conlusion by looking at the fact that religion in schools is still roughly 35 times as controversal as homosexuality in school.   

But, I'll go out of my way and give you the benefit of the doubt here.  Lets say they show it in schools all the time, and 70% of the kids and their families are totally in to it.  Do you seriously think that in a class of 35 the other 10 or so kids in that class wouldn't raise a complaint (and it only takes one for it to be a news story).  Atheists and agnostics aside, that leaves about 2 jewish, muslim, or whatever kids who's parents probably would not be happy.  Consideringt he lawsuit-trigger happy nature of your society do you really think they wouldn't raise hell when the rewards are so high and the probably of return is likewise high?  Fuck, that's also ignoring the Protestant denominations that publicly took issue with the film.  The likely hood for trouble when showing Passion of the Christ far outweighs that of Brokeback Mountain.  Precedent has been set, and even if the school/teacher/board could somehow argue that it was being taught based on historical signifigance (with some christian movies this is allowed, here it wouldn't fly) they still have to deal with the question of why they are showing such objectable content in a public school.

Damn, thats a lot of text. Here goes:

Sorry, I misunderstood what you mean't by isolated incident. I thought you mean't it was a small story that no one really knew or cared about and thats why its not being covered by the media like Imus or Schiavo events. Yes, this is the only lawsuit that I've heard of concerning Brokeback Mountain shown at school, but its also the only lawsuit I've ever heard of because a movie was shown at school. This girl is claiming she has suffered "psychological distress" and needed therapy after seeing this movie. The grandfather also had this to say:

It is very important to me that my children not be exposed to this," said Kenneth Richardson, Turner's guardian. "The teacher knew she was not supposed to do this.

And...

This was the last straw," he said. "I feel the lawsuit was necessary because of the warning I had already given them on the literature they were giving out to children to read. I told them it was against our faith.

This lawsuit is obviously about their religion, I don't think this guy would have any problem with The Passion being shown.

Check out this Google Fight, after posting your Google Fight I think you're trying to say that the video ipod is bigger than this news story. Al though I do believe this Brokeback story is a public outcry, does it mean it isn't one if it gets less exposure than another story? A lot of the people talking about this are in a forum like this one, bloggers and people leaving comments under news articles. As to whether they are for it or against it shouldn't matter, the public is voicing it's opinion about this.

I honestly think The Passion has been shown without incident because most people are ok with it. You called many of my points irrelevant, but what I'm trying to show is that a lot of people are ok with their child seeing The Passion. They went as a whole family, they call it a family outing. Having it shown in schools comes off as the school system finally doing something right for a change in their eyes. I couldn't find evidence of any movie being shown in any specific school other than Brokeback. I mean shit, you can call that guy who tried to get "in God we trust" removed an isolated incident.

The social and political views of the teachers is very relevant here, this is what the base of the story is about. Some teacher showing her kids a movie (that she thought was ok), but parents didn't like. If you were religious and a teacher told your child to check out Brokeback, wouldn't you be pissed off? If you were a hardcore liberal and the teacher told you to watch...Farenhype 9/11, would you be pissed? I only use The Passion as an opponent to Brokeback because they're both recent, rated "R" and controversial ( I guess). I brought up the fact of searches coming up with the same comparison as myself because I though it was a funny coincidence, thats all.

The Passion (TP) would never get as much fallout as Brokeback Mountain (BM, I'm sick of typing these two), especially in a lawsuit. The courts are biased towards christianity even to this very day. When you get sworn in court you're forced to use the Bible, only a handful allow you to bring your own religious text. A priest doesn't have to testify against someone who has spilled their guts in confession about a crime, hell, a priest is considered a reputable witness. Why should someone be considered a more trustworthy person than I am, because they're a priest?

I agree that all of the 70% of the christians that make up our country aren't practicing christians, but we don't know how many really are or how much or little they practice.  However, I don't see the connection of voting christians believing in the separation of church and state. I think what you're saying is that if 70% of voters are christian, how come Jesus isn't on our national flag correct? Well, its because the founders of this country didn't make it that way. They set up a series of checks, balances and hurdles to stop the influence of many devices like religion, but that doesn't stop christians from trying though. This is why abortion is a big controversy and illegal in some states, this is why the morning after pill is being banned in stores, its why we have blue laws, no stem cell research, "Intelligent Design" taught in schools and a president who claims God talks to him directly (shouldn't he be on meds for that and not prez?). Christians already have their stake in our legal system, its always been there and it always will be.

I respect your opinion about christianity being more controversial than being gay, but I can't see it. People don't get killed because they're christians (unless its the Crusades), they get bashed for being gay. There aren't any camps advertising to reverse your christianity, people don't protest at catholic schools or try to stop christian school groups from forming. Look at this all gay school being protested against by christian parents. I find it funny that the students are made out as the bad guys here when all they want to do is go to school. I guess the gays were right to compare their struggle with the struggle blacks had 40 years ago. I find it even funnier that the school was eventually forced to take in straight students as well. Gays can't have clubs, go to school or even get married, but christianity is considered the epitome of normalcy. Christians have it easy.

I'm tired, so I'm going to wrap this up. I do think that muslims/jews/atheists/etc would complain about being shown TP, but what good would it do? Hell maybe they have, but it was just swept under the rug like an alter boy's cum stained church garb. Maybe it's only being shown to classes that reside in the "bible belt" or "red states". Perhaps if we wait, it will happen sometime in the near future.

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #69 on: Sunday, May 27, 2007, 03:54:30 AM »
Nick, I read your post earlier today but don't really have any time to reply to it for at least a few days as I'm swamped with school and work .  Sorry about that, but as of right now I will say that a lot of what we're arguing about is the kind of thing you can't really prove logically because there's always another explanation (are there no complaints about Passion because no one complains or because no one shows it...and so on) and there's no actual statistical evidence either way.  You can tell me there's a public outrage based on forum posts, but I can just argue that those are the people who are predisposed to complain about things like this in forums anyways, and it goes on and on. 

Beyond that, we're just looking at things from two different perspectives.  I could argue that my perspective has the ability to more accurately evaluate the state of affairs as I'm far more removed from it - geographically and ideologically, but then again those could be detrimental qualities when applied to what we're talking about. Anyways, until at least the middle of next week we're probably just going to have to agree to disagree.

Offline scottws

• Gold Member
    • Facebook Me
« Reply #70 on: Sunday, May 27, 2007, 08:58:15 AM »
Wow there are some really good posts in this thread on both sides.  I think that yeah, there are some logical fallacies , such as believing it's wrong to show Farhenheit 9/11 and then Farhenhype 9/11... I think this is only fair to show both.  But there are definately good points brought up.

nick is right in that it's a lot easier to be "a regular Christian" or even "a fundamentalist Christian" than it is to be "gay."  (I'm using quotes here to denote the average type of person that would normally be labelled as such.)  However I disagree with the notion that Christians have it completely easy.   I think that Christians are feeling there is an immense pressure at this time in U.S. history to almost be ashamed of believing what they believe.  There has already been a massive secularization movement which has diluted "Merry Christmas" to "Happy Holidays."

I read in a recent Wired magazine about the surge in the number of what I'm going to call "fundamentalist atheists:"  people who believe that it isn't enough to not believe in God and tolerate those who do believe.  They think there should be no tolerance whatsoever, that the religious should be regarded as illogical kooks and should be silenced.

So anyway, yeah I think it's probably easier to be the average Christian than the average gay person, but I don't think it's necessarily as easy as you think to be Christian.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #71 on: Sunday, May 27, 2007, 12:52:34 PM »
It depends largely on where you live, too.  I don't live in the Midwest.  I live in the San Francisco Bay Area.  Oh yeah, boy, I find like-minded people all over the place.

Offline nickclone

• Veteran
« Reply #72 on: Sunday, May 27, 2007, 02:50:43 PM »
Wow there are some really good posts in this thread on both sides.  I think that yeah, there are some logical fallacies , such as believing it's wrong to show Farhenheit 9/11 and then Farhenhype 9/11... I think this is only fair to show both.  But there are definately good points brought up.

nick is right in that it's a lot easier to be "a regular Christian" or even "a fundamentalist Christian" than it is to be "gay."  (I'm using quotes here to denote the average type of person that would normally be labelled as such.)  However I disagree with the notion that Christians have it completely easy.   I think that Christians are feeling there is an immense pressure at this time in U.S. history to almost be ashamed of believing what they believe.  There has already been a massive secularization movement which has diluted "Merry Christmas" to "Happy Holidays."

I read in a recent Wired magazine about the surge in the number of what I'm going to call "fundamentalist atheists:"  people who believe that it isn't enough to not believe in God and tolerate those who do believe.  They think there should be no tolerance whatsoever, that the religious should be regarded as illogical kooks and should be silenced.

So anyway, yeah I think it's probably easier to be the average Christian than the average gay person, but I don't think it's necessarily as easy as you think to be Christian.

I agree that christians don't have it completely easy, but I disagree with them being made to feel ashamed of themselves. The "Happy Holidays" deal wasn't mean't to put christians out, its supposed to allow everyone else feel welcomed in. I think I was in third grade when they started calling it "winter break" instead of "Christmas break", of course I was only eight and just wanted my two weeks off.

I'm positive there are "fundamentalist atheists" out there, theres always an extreme to...anything. I don't consider myself one of these people, I can truthfully say that the most I pursue the subject is strictly on this forum. What I'm about to say isn't mean't to offend anyone, its just how I feel about the situation. I think pious people are brainwashed or using religion for personal gain, mostly the former though. I find it sick that televangelist are making millions a year for spreading God's word, I never thought of religion as a business.

It depends largely on where you live, too.  I don't live in the Midwest.  I live in the San Francisco Bay Area.  Oh yeah, boy, I find like-minded people all over the place.

Location has a lot to do with it too, I was born and raised in a small hick town without many gays. In highschool I think there was a gay kid and a lesbian couple that went there, I have no idea what their names were because they were simply known as "the gay kid" and "the lesbians". Haha, I'm not even sure if they were actually gay, but they were made fun of because of it.

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #73 on: Sunday, May 27, 2007, 06:39:39 PM »
My hardline answer to "Happy Holidays" is "which ones are you celebrating?  I'm celebrating Christmas".  But being an agnostic and not generally confrontational, it's not one that I actually ever use.  I just think it to myself.  The fact is that there's nothing wrong with Christians celebrating Christmas and saying "Merry Christmas".  Anyone who tries to silence or sabotage that has an enemy right here.

Everyone has become a hardliner.  Have you noticed?  "Fundamentalist atheists" is only one example.  Everyone not only has to get their way.  They also have to insult, and if possible, destroy any other point of view.  It's like living in a philosophical warzone, and I hate it.  To all intolerant assholes, eat shit and die.

Offline Folk

• Rookie
« Reply #74 on: Monday, May 28, 2007, 07:49:05 AM »
Can someone explain to me why after reading the last few posts, the Go Go's song "Vacation" is looping in my head?  It's quite disturbing.

:o

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #75 on: Monday, May 28, 2007, 11:10:44 AM »
Not being familiar with it (or at leat the title--I may have heard it) I have to join you in your  :o.

Offline scottws

• Gold Member
    • Facebook Me
« Reply #76 on: Monday, May 28, 2007, 11:12:58 AM »
Sorry, guess I derailed the thread.  My bad.

Offline Raisa

• Veteran
« Reply #77 on: Tuesday, May 29, 2007, 08:11:10 PM »
If you want your kid to be a zombie to your will, then homeschool them.  If you want your kid to gain some practical, worldly education, send them to public schools.  If you want your kid to have a semi-zombie semi-worldly education, send them to private schools.  Personally, I hope my taxes go to hiring teachers that expand minds, not to teachers that keep kids living in the cave of family experience.

The only thing I'm going to quote and comment on is this paragraph.  It's too sensitive to comment on the others.

I've gone to homeschool, public school and private school.  What did I enjoy the most?  Homeschool.  It's not a matter of being able to control a person when you get them in homeschool.  The most outspoken, independent people I know have a huge background as far as homeschool is concerned.  Homeschooling can totally open a person to a whole other world of possibilities and growth compared to sending them to public or private school.

I went to private and public school before doing homeschool.  During homeschooling though I learned much much more.  Aside from the homeschooling program of CALVERT.. I had theater classes, music, film, cinematography, computer classes, and more.  I had a full schedule and lots of interaction with others.

My will is my own, and I dont' think I'm a zombie to the world.

The experience I gained was more than what I would have gained in a public or private school.  How do I gauge this?  I'm still in touch with my classmates from private and public school.
Taken.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #78 on: Tuesday, May 29, 2007, 08:26:04 PM »
I'd second that.

Offline nickclone

• Veteran
« Reply #79 on: Tuesday, May 29, 2007, 10:30:54 PM »
The only thing I'm going to quote and comment on is this paragraph.  It's too sensitive to comment on the others.

I've gone to homeschool, public school and private school.  What did I enjoy the most?  Homeschool.  It's not a matter of being able to control a person when you get them in homeschool.  The most outspoken, independent people I know have a huge background as far as homeschool is concerned.  Homeschooling can totally open a person to a whole other world of possibilities and growth compared to sending them to public or private school.

I went to private and public school before doing homeschool.  During homeschooling though I learned much much more.  Aside from the homeschooling program of CALVERT.. I had theater classes, music, film, cinematography, computer classes, and more.  I had a full schedule and lots of interaction with others.

My will is my own, and I dont' think I'm a zombie to the world.

The experience I gained was more than what I would have gained in a public or private school.  How do I gauge this?  I'm still in touch with my classmates from private and public school.

I think homeschooling is evil, but thats for another topic.