Author Topic: Brokeback lawsuit is tough.  (Read 13713 times)

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
Re: Brokeback lawsuit is tough.
« Reply #80 on: Wednesday, May 30, 2007, 11:19:58 AM »
I think homeschooling is evil, but thats for another topic.

No, that's too easy.  Raisa spent some quality time composing her thoughts on this.  She shared her experience with all 3 available options, something the rest of us can't do, because we don't have it.  To say "it's evil" and nothing else is no answer.

I missed the bit about folk's perceived difference between the 3 options.  I'm not surprised he feels this way.  It's clear to me that he thinks people have no right to mold their children's mind in any way which conflicts with his philosophy of life.  If there is indeed a cultural war happening in this country, he wants us to surrender our children to the enemy without firing a shot.  People in hell want ice water too.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #81 on: Wednesday, May 30, 2007, 06:08:52 PM »
I don't even know what to say to something like this.  Does nick just have a daily quota of thoughtless, blanket statements he needs to make every day?  I really can't figure it out.

天才的な閃きと平均以下のテクニックやな。 課長有野

Offline nickclone

• Veteran
« Reply #82 on: Wednesday, May 30, 2007, 06:22:19 PM »
No, that's too easy.  Raisa spent some quality time composing her thoughts on this.  She shared her experience with all 3 available options, something the rest of us can't do, because we don't have it.  To say "it's evil" and nothing else is no answer.

I missed the bit about folk's perceived difference between the 3 options.  I'm not surprised he feels this way.  It's clear to me that he thinks people have no right to mold their children's mind in any way which conflicts with his philosophy of life.  If there is indeed a cultural war happening in this country, he wants us to surrender our children to the enemy without firing a shot.  People in hell want ice water too.

My comment wasn't a cop out, I thinks its way off topic to discuss homeschooling in a thread about Brokeback Mountain. However, nothing has ever stayed on topic here, so:

My mom is a preschool/kindergarten teacher who also tutors kids in her spare time who have trouble reading. She works with public school kids and with homeschooled kids and she's told me that the homeschooled kids are smarter than the public school kids. However, homeschooled kids aren't smarter because they're homeschooled, they're smarter because...they just are.

We all know what happens to smart kids/nerds/quiet kids in public schools, they get picked on. A lot of these parents would rather have their child be homeschooled than to have them learn social skills. Then of course theres the parents that want to have control over their children and teach them whatever they want. Lets not forget that homeschooling parents don't need state teaching certificates, would you want someone under qualified teaching your kids?

To sum this up, I think parents homeschool for the following reasons:
1. To teaching their kids whatever they want.
2. Lonely housewives don't want to send their babies out of the house.
3. So their nerdy kid won't get picked on at school.

Sure, I believe parents have to right to teach their kids whatever they want (reluctantly). These kids should also have the right to a vast learning experience where they get to explore topics that haven't been pre approved by mom. What are these kids going to do when they graduate? Home college?

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #83 on: Wednesday, May 30, 2007, 11:17:50 PM »
"Check out this Google Fight, after posting your Google Fight I think you're trying to say that the video ipod is bigger than this news story. Al though I do believe this Brokeback story is a public outcry, does it mean it isn't one if it gets less exposure than another story? A lot of the people talking about this are in a forum like this one, bloggers and people leaving comments under news articles. As to whether they are for it or against it shouldn't matter, the public is voicing it's opinion about this."

No, I was just saying it isn't really a public outcry.  From what I've seen there haven't been people marching in the streets because someone showed this in school, just a complaint and maybe some support.  I don't think it's something we can use to gauge the opinions of the american people with.

"honestly think The Passion has been shown without incident because most people are ok with it. You called many of my points irrelevant, but what I'm trying to show is that a lot of people are ok with their child seeing The Passion. They went as a whole family, they call it a family outing. Having it shown in schools comes off as the school system finally doing something right for a change in their eyes."

I'd say some people are ok with their child seeing the passion.  I'd guess that most wouldn't be ok with their kid seeing it in a public school for a lot of reasons.  There would undoubtedly be a few, and a margin in the middle who just didn't want to do anything about it, but there would be some that are pissed off, and it only takes one for it to become a national story really. 

"The social and political views of the teachers is very relevant here, this is what the base of the story is about."

I'd argue that their actual views aren't relevant at all.  I'd say that the core of the issue is how they want to express those views in the classroom.  Even suggesting that the kids view the movie rather than actually showing it is a much better option because of the liability involved. 

"The Passion (TP) would never get as much fallout as Brokeback Mountain (BM, I'm sick of typing these two), especially in a lawsuit. The courts are biased towards christianity even to this very day."

That's a pretty bold statement.  I can't think of many recent examples to support this, but it doesn't matter.  Religion in school is already a supreme court settled case.  There are strict guidelines about it set out specifically to make sure schools adhere to the "freedom of religion" aspect of the constitution. That's my main argument here - there's already precedent keeping it out. then again, in a civil case with a jury...who the fuck knows?  It would all depend on the social composition of the jury.

"When you get sworn in court you're forced to use the Bible, only a handful allow you to bring your own religious text."

That's pretty much not true.  Many states don't even use the bible anymore period, and many allow you to swear on whatever religious book,  (lack thereof) you want.  I am, however, going off second hand information here and haven't looked up any state by state stats myself.  But, to be fair, I got this from a professor in a section of a course focusing on social philosophy in states with vastly differing social, cultural, and racial demographics.  He was kind of jackass though.

"A priest doesn't have to testify against someone who has spilled their guts in confession about a crime, hell, a priest is considered a reputable witness. Why should someone be considered a more trustworthy person than I am, because they're a priest?"

You can say the same for doctors, lawyers, psychiatrists, and many other professions. Why is an engineer a more reputable source than an electrician?  I don't know, but according to the law they are (judging from the fact that they can act as witnesses for passports).

"However, I don't see the connection of voting christians believing in the separation of church and state."

The point is that just because they are Christian, that doesn't mean that it carries over into every thing they do.  It's not necessarily the Christian part of them that makes up their political ideals. It was basically just there to counter your 70% theory.  70% doesn't mean anything at all except the fact that 70% of the people answering census data put down Christian.  you can come to a variety of conclusions from that, but again, it's obviously not a litmus test.

"how come Jesus isn't on our national flag correct? Well, its because the founders of this country didn't make it that way. They set up a series of checks, balances and hurdles to stop the influence of many devices like religion, but that doesn't stop christians from trying though."

The constitution means nothing if a majority (especially a 70% majority) doesn't support it...especially in a democratic republic.  If that 70% really wanted religion in schools it would be.  I just simply set out a simplified scenario of how it could be done (supreme court stacking).  Some christians certainly want it (thus, the things you've spoken about), but nowhere near the percentage of the total population you're talking about.

"I respect your opinion about christianity being more controversial than being gay, but I can't see it"

Fair enough, but that's not what I'm saying at all.  All I'm saying is that promoting Christianity in public schools is more controversial than  promoting sexual tolerance in public schools.  Maybe not in some areas like the deep south, but across America as a whole I'd say it certainly is. 

"Maybe it's only being shown to classes that reside in the "bible belt" or "red states". "

That's the thing, we're kind of involved in a stupid debate because we can't really know.

As for homeschooling:

You missed

4: public education in America is pretty fucking bad.

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #84 on: Thursday, May 31, 2007, 01:18:25 AM »
"how come Jesus isn't on our national flag correct? Well, its because the founders of this country didn't make it that way. They set up a series of checks, balances and hurdles to stop the influence of many devices like religion, but that doesn't stop christians from trying though."

The constitution means nothing if a majority (especially a 70% majority) doesn't support it...especially in a democratic republic.  If that 70% really wanted religion in schools it would be.  I just simply set out a simplified scenario of how it could be done (supreme court stacking).  Some christians certainly want it (thus, the things you've spoken about), but nowhere near the percentage of the total population you're talking about.

No, I don't think so.  That's the first thing you've said that I outright disagree with.  In the early 60s, I'd say that at least 70% of the people wanted to preserve racial segregation, including ironically some black people, and certainly other less oppressed minorities.  The Supreme Court and the rest of the feds imposed integration regardless.  The Constitution *is* the law of the land.  There is even a mechanism in place to alter it, should enough of the states decide that it needs changing.  It's called a Constitutional Convention.  I think a 2/3rd majority of the states, regardless of population, is required to pass or repeal an amendment, but I'm not entirely sure now.

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #85 on: Thursday, May 31, 2007, 05:31:18 PM »
"The Constitution *is* the law of the land.  There is even a mechanism in place to alter it, should enough of the states decide that it needs changing.  It's called a Constitutional Convention.  I think a 2/3rd majority of the states, regardless of population, is required to pass or repeal an amendment, but I'm not entirely sure now."

It's all strictly theoretical.  My point is that the constitution itself is meaningless - it's just words on paper.  It's the people's adherence to it and/or willingness to enforce it that gives it power and authority.  If a vast majority disagrees with a section of the constitution, yet adheres to it, it says tons about where their priorities lie (state before church).

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #86 on: Friday, June 01, 2007, 12:52:25 AM »
I don't follow.  The Constitution forbids the establishment of any religion by the state.  That means the state should not endorse any religion, not even with occasional Christian symbolism.  Personally, I don't think it's a big deal.  But enough people do, so this principle has been brought to the forefront.  It's tough to do, because the people who wrote this document are all Christian, and much of the philosophy and ethics of the country derive from Christianity.  Yet it's being done, every day.

Offline Raisa

• Veteran
« Reply #87 on: Wednesday, June 06, 2007, 03:42:56 AM »
My comment wasn't a cop out, I thinks its way off topic to discuss homeschooling in a thread about Brokeback Mountain. However, nothing has ever stayed on topic here, so:

My mom is a preschool/kindergarten teacher who also tutors kids in her spare time who have trouble reading. She works with public school kids and with homeschooled kids and she's told me that the homeschooled kids are smarter than the public school kids. However, homeschooled kids aren't smarter because they're homeschooled, they're smarter because...they just are.
Nick, read that last sentence again.  Stereotyping homeschooled kids that way doesn't make sense.  And stereotyping public school kids that way also doesn't make sense.  The public school I went to last had the smartest bunch of kids I've ever known.  The valedictorian was exempted from ALL math classes in high school and university cause she was so smart.  She was never homeschooled.  She put the time into studying and was also one of the popular girls in school.

We all know what happens to smart kids/nerds/quiet kids in public schools, they get picked on. A lot of these parents would rather have their child be homeschooled than to have them learn social skills. Then of course theres the parents that want to have control over their children and teach them whatever they want. Lets not forget that homeschooling parents don't need state teaching certificates, would you want someone under qualified teaching your kids?
Smart kids/nerds/quiet kids get picked on.. sounds like you're either one of those or you're one of the ones who like to pick on people. 

If I was a parent, I'd rather know my limitations as a teacher rather than put my kid in a school with so called people who are qualified to teach based on a certificate.  Just see what happened to the teacher this thread is based on.

My math teacher was really cool because she taught both private and public and home-schooled kids.  She opened a school recently and caters to all three types. 

To sum this up, I think parents homeschool for the following reasons:
1. To teaching their kids whatever they want.
2. Lonely housewives don't want to send their babies out of the house.
3. So their nerdy kid won't get picked on at school.

ah maybe sometimes you just gotta shut up to stop showing your narrow-mindedness.

Sure, I believe parents have to right to teach their kids whatever they want (reluctantly). These kids should also have the right to a vast learning experience where they get to explore topics that haven't been pre approved by mom. What are these kids going to do when they graduate? Home college?
Nick, vast learning experience.. And not to boast or be arrogant or anything, but I bet I can list down everything I learned and compare notes with you and see what you've learned.

Taken.

Offline nickclone

• Veteran
« Reply #88 on: Wednesday, June 06, 2007, 02:19:34 PM »
Quote from: Raisa
Nick, read that last sentence again.  Stereotyping homeschooled kids that way doesn't make sense.  And stereotyping public school kids that way also doesn't make sense.  The public school I went to last had the smartest bunch of kids I've ever known.  The valedictorian was exempted from ALL math classes in high school and university cause she was so smart.  She was never homeschooled.  She put the time into studying and was also one of the popular girls in school.
Smart kids/nerds/quiet kids get picked on.. sounds like you're either one of those or you're one of the ones who like to pick on people. 

Of course it makes sense, when the nerds with the grades are homeschooled they make homeschooled kids look smarter. I didn't say only dumb kids went to public school, I'm just saying the more intelligent and socially inept like to learn social studies from mom.

I have no doubt that the smart kids you've ever known happened to go to your public school and that the valedictorian was exempt from all math for life. However, I wouldn't expect any less from avaledictorian. I mean, you don't have much competition to be valedictorian when all of your other classmates aren't even in high school yet.

If I was a parent, I'd rather know my limitations as a teacher rather than put my kid in a school with so called people who are qualified to teach based on a certificate.  Just see what happened to the teacher this thread is based on.

Showing Brokeback Mountain has nothing to do with the teacher's teaching ability. I should also point out that she was a substitute, not an actual teacher with a license to teach.

Theres something I need you to clarify for me: are you saying you would rather have an under qualified parent teach your child than a teacher who has gone through years of schooling? Would you rather have some parent operate on you, represent you in court or build you a house without a certificate? You're downplaying the importance of having a competent teacher to try and prove your point.

My math teacher was really cool because she taught both private and public and home-schooled kids.  She opened a school recently and caters to all three types.

ah maybe sometimes you just gotta shut up to stop showing your narrow-mindedness.
Nick, vast learning experience.. And not to boast or be arrogant or anything, but I bet I can list down everything I learned and compare notes with you and see what you've learned.

I'm sure your math teacher was really cool, but I doubt it has anything to do with her moonlighting as public school and home school teacher. I'm going to go out on a limb and say that she was just a cool person who happened to teach both...somehow.

I'm not sure what you mean by comparing what we've both learned, I need you to explain that. Are you talking about comparing lesson plans or do you mean a battle of wits like a game of Jeopardy and Trivial Pursuit. If you honestly think you can beat me as easily as you believe, then you should practice the art of modesty...if they taught you that at school.

I know how many of you here would love to stifle me or have me conform into one of flock, but its not gonna happen. I find it absurd that I'm the "narrow minded" person here, you're the one who thinks gay is "disgusting", you think you're smarter than public school kids and you have the audacity to claim that I picked on people in high school?

You flip-flopped a lot in your last post, I know you're on the side of homeschooling so stick to your guns.