Author Topic: Top Ten Signs You're a Fundamentalist Christian  (Read 13120 times)

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
Re: Top Ten Signs You're a Fundamentalist Christian
« Reply #40 on: Tuesday, May 29, 2007, 02:11:45 PM »
Fire Worshiping FTW.

Offline Ghandi

• HAMS
« Reply #41 on: Tuesday, May 29, 2007, 02:25:50 PM »
Quality post Shadow :)

It's too bad that the list itself isn't particularly funny. I've seen some lists that have a similar premise that are humorous, but it seems like the author of this one is trying to get a point across and be funny. He fails on both counts.

Also, Pug, Fire Worshiping is hot.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #42 on: Tuesday, May 29, 2007, 07:46:52 PM »
Yes, quality post.  I'd more or less echo your sentiments on the subject, though I've no desire to get into it.  In fact, everybody assumes my distaste with this thread in the first place had something to do with religion, which it didn't at all.  Whole different deal.

Eh... but I guess I'll address the points anyway from a personal standpoint since Shadows did.  It's in my head now, and I guess it's the least I can do since I really didn't address the topic in any fashion up 'till now.

10 - I don't feel outraged when people deny the existence of God.  I get outraged when people call me an idiot.

9 - I feel neither insulted or dehumanized by the theory of evolution.  I just don't believe there's enough scientific evidence to support it.  There are plenty of Christians who do, in fact, believe in evolution.  As I've stated many times, my father was one of them.

8 - I don't laugh at polytheists.  I find other religions fascinating, and even people who sort of believe an amalgamation of different things, and I tend to get along with people of other religions just fine.  Our views don't tend to be so different when you get down to it.

7 - None of the people who agree with this list even believe the Bible is true, so how is this even relevant?

6 - Again, I don't laugh at Hindu beliefs or Greek mythology.  In fact, I'm willing to bet not many people here have even read The Iliad, The Odyssey, or any other epic poems Greek or otherwise, let alone remembered anything of worth about them or could connect them to history in any relevant way.  The rest of this bullet would require much greater discussion, and I have no intention of getting into that because I'm tired and I doubt anyone gives a shit anyway.

5 - I don't spend my life looking for loopholes in the age of the Earth.  I don't know how old it is, I just know I disagree with the scientific evidence pointing toward it being billions of years old.  This has nothing to do with my religion whatsoever.  If I decided tomorrow that I hated God and wanted nothing to do with religion ever again, I would still doubt evolution and theories about an old Earth.

4 - Just because you believe that an eternity spent away from God equals eternal suffering, that doesn't mean you hate everyone or want them all to suffer.  It isn't as though this is a pleasant reality for Christians to live under, but it is what it is.  Being kind to others has nothing to do with that in any way.

3 - I've never believed in the pentecostal movement.  To say I agree with every idiot that professes belief in God or Christianity would be quite false.

2 - Who the hell came up with 0.01%?  Even if God didn't exist and prayers could never be answered in any fashion, if only 0.01% of what you might otherwise consider worthy of prayer is all that's ever addressed positively in your life, you are the unluckiest bastard to walk the face of the Earth and you should consider death a blessing.

1 - The world is full of people.  There are lazy, stupid atheists too.  I've met plenty.  A lot of "Christians" don't practice in any way, shape, or form anyway, just like many Catholics, and many people of other religions who still call upon what their parents taught them in times of great need or even out of habit with something or other, whether or not they put any personal stock in the religion from day to day.

Anyway, I think the list is pretty bogus on many levels.  Many of the complaints can just as easily be thrown at people from other religions, or can be twisted to the exact opposite to point out flaws in others.  Like... why does my friend put all his faith in science, and then do horrible things to his body on a constant basis that he knows are fucking his insides up?

天才的な閃きと平均以下のテクニックやな。 課長有野

Offline ren

• Veteran
« Reply #43 on: Tuesday, May 29, 2007, 08:02:55 PM »
The list is about a completely fundamental Christian, not any of you guys.  :-[

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #44 on: Tuesday, May 29, 2007, 08:12:02 PM »
But there are "fundamentalists" who aren't stupid and don't think this way either.  This is like saying, "If you're an atheist, you have tons of recreational sex and do recreational drugs without a second thought."  Is that true of many atheists?  Sure.  Does it mean its true of the majority?  Highly doubtful.  Just because a thing is true of some doesn't mean it's true of a majority share.  Again, my Dad was a pretty traditional guy, yet he was a scientific man who believe in an old Earth and in evolution as a God-inspired process.  For all his beliefs he was a very worldly man, very educated in science and literature.  A friend of ours is a Hebrew scholar and graduated with his doctorate from Berkeley, and he and my Dad shared many views, but he was also extremely traditional in many ways.  Maybe they weren't "fundamentalists" exactly, but I don't know that you've got a correct label with that anyway.  A lot of what so-called fundamentalists believe isn't even undisputed Biblical fact... or even all that fundamental.  Maybe that's where I get mixed up with the wording.  There are fundamentals that many Christians defend vehemently and believe in strongly, but that don't make them stupid about everything else.

I don't know.  It's just sort of unfortunate that often the most vocal people out there are the ones who know the least.  I'm not saying that's all of them, but it's certainly a good portion.

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #45 on: Tuesday, May 29, 2007, 08:18:02 PM »
"If you're an atheist, you have tons of recreational sex and do recreational drugs without a second thought." 
Shit, I am totally doing this wrong.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #46 on: Tuesday, May 29, 2007, 08:34:03 PM »
We keep telling you to move to California.  It's just one big state-wide orgy out here, I'm telling you.