Author Topic: Top Ten Signs You're a Fundamentalist Christian  (Read 13122 times)

Offline nickclone

• Veteran
Top Ten Signs You're a Fundamentalist Christian
« on: Wednesday, May 23, 2007, 05:27:03 AM »
10 - You vigorously deny the existence of thousands of gods claimed by other
religions, but feel outraged when someone denies the existence of yours.

9 - You feel insulted and "dehumanized" when scientists say that people
evolved from other life forms, but you have no problem with the Biblical
claim that we were created from dirt.

8 - You laugh at polytheists, but you have no problem believing in a Triune
God.

7 - Your face turns purple when you hear of the "atrocities" attributed to
Allah, but you don't even flinch when hearing about how God/Jehovah
slaughtered all the babies of Egypt in "Exodus" and ordered the elimination
of entire ethnic groups in "Joshua" including women, children, and trees!

6 - You laugh at Hindu beliefs that deify humans, and Greek claims about
gods sleeping with women, but you have no problem believing that the Holy
Spirit impregnated Mary, who then gave birth to a man-god who got killed,
came back to life and then ascended into the sky.

5 - You are willing to spend your life looking for little loopholes in the
scientifically established age of Earth (few billion years), but you find
nothing wrong with believing dates recorded by Bronze Age tribesmen sitting
in their tents and guessing that Earth is a few generations old.

4 - You believe that the entire population of this planet with the exception
of those who share your beliefs -- though excluding those in all rival sects
- will spend Eternity in an infinite Hell of Suffering. And yet consider
your religion the most "tolerant" and "loving."

3 - While modern science, history, geology, biology, and physics have failed
to convince you otherwise, some idiot rolling around on the floor speaking
in "tongues" may be all the evidence you need to "prove" Christianity.

2 - You define 0.01% as a "high success rate" when it comes to answered
prayers. You consider that to be evidence that prayer works. And you think
that the remaining 99.99% FAILURE was simply the will of God.

1 - You actually know a lot less than many atheists and agnostics do about
the Bible, Christianity, and church history - but still call yourself a
Christian.

As funny as this is, I put this in serious topics because it brings up some seriously good points.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
Re: Top Ten Signs You're a Fundamentalist Christian
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday, May 23, 2007, 06:25:09 AM »
You posted this already.  It wasn't funny then, either.

天才的な閃きと平均以下のテクニックやな。 課長有野

Offline nickclone

• Veteran
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday, May 23, 2007, 07:22:35 AM »
Haha! You're right, I forgot all about it. Well since it isn't funny, lets take it seriously. It is serious subject matter, its not like I made this stuff up...someone else did.

Offline angrykeebler

• Veteran
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday, May 23, 2007, 08:09:32 AM »
Why pick on the Christians? I don't see you posting any "Top Ten Signs You're an Islamic Extremist"
Suck it, Pugnate.

Offline Ghandi

• HAMS
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday, May 23, 2007, 12:46:09 PM »
Seriously...what the fuck. This isn't a serious subject matter. It has nothing of merit. It's just flaming Christianity. It's utter bullshit. The only reason you are posting it is just to start some shit- if you really thought it was funny you wouldn't have put it on the serious board.

Offline nickclone

• Veteran
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday, May 23, 2007, 12:48:58 PM »
Why pick on the Christians? I don't see you posting any "Top Ten Signs You're an Islamic Extremist"

I couldn't find any, although I did find "Top 10 Reasons Islam Might Not Be a Religion of Peace" from the thoughts of a conservative Christian.

http://bsimmons.wordpress.com/2006/08/31/top-10-reasons-islam-might-not-be-a-religion-of-peace/

Offline beo

• Veteran
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday, May 23, 2007, 01:03:12 PM »
nick, i have to say, this really just comes off as an attack of some of our board members. i think all religion is stupid and have said so many times, but there's no reason to start a topic saying as much, it's only going to piss people off. is that what you're trying to do?

Offline nickclone

• Veteran
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday, May 23, 2007, 01:42:15 PM »
nick, i have to say, this really just comes off as an attack of some of our board members. i think all religion is stupid and have said so many times, but there's no reason to start a topic saying as much, it's only going to piss people off. is that what you're trying to do?

Of course not, I saw this and I posted it. Should I only post things that makes everyone happy? Anytime I say something around here that goes against the general consensus, I'm suddenly an agitator.

Of course, no one cares about my neglected feelings.

Offline beo

• Veteran
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday, May 23, 2007, 02:32:18 PM »
Of course not, I saw this and I posted it. Should I only post things that makes everyone happy? Anytime I say something around here that goes against the general consensus, I'm suddenly an agitator.

well it just seems like by now, you should be aware of things that are going to rub people up completely the wrong way. imagine if someone had posted a list of things attacking the atheist viewpoint - how irate would you be? i'd be fucking livid.

i really do think religion is a horrible thing, but i'm learning there are certain things you need to keep to yourself. of course you shouldn't try and appease people with everything you say, but neither should you blurt out things that are almost certainly going to offend.

i whole heartedly agree with you on some of the stuff you say, i even am quite amused by this list, but there's no way in hell i think it's a good idea to post it on a board with so many vocal christians.

Offline Ghandi

• HAMS
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday, May 23, 2007, 04:53:23 PM »
Anytime I say something around here that goes against the general consensus, I'm suddenly an agitator.

Let me get this straight- you post this on the serious board, ask us to discuss it seriously, and you think that you aren't an agitator?

Explain to me one intelligent conversation that could stem from the original post and I'll agree with you that you aren't an agitator.

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday, May 23, 2007, 05:15:18 PM »
Arguing about religion is so first year university.  By the age of 20 everyone should probably realise that it accomplishes nothing positive at all and probably shouldn't be done by anyone capable of forming a logical argument.   

Offline nickclone

• Veteran
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday, May 23, 2007, 06:03:42 PM »
well it just seems like by now, you should be aware of things that are going to rub people up completely the wrong way. imagine if someone had posted a list of things attacking the atheist viewpoint - how irate would you be? i'd be fucking livid.

i really do think religion is a horrible thing, but i'm learning there are certain things you need to keep to yourself. of course you shouldn't try and appease people with everything you say, but neither should you blurt out things that are almost certainly going to offend.

i whole heartedly agree with you on some of the stuff you say, i even am quite amused by this list, but there's no way in hell i think it's a good idea to post it on a board with so many vocal christians.

I'm not an atheist.

So, Ghandi, since when does starting a discussion make someone an "agitator"? Oh yeah, because I'm the one who started the discussion...

Offline beo

• Veteran
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday, May 23, 2007, 06:16:45 PM »
ok, a list attacking whatever beliefs that you, as an individual, hold.

if you're going to make a post that blatantly takes the piss out of people's beliefs - what kind of reaction do you expect to get? you are poking fun at people on this board based on their religion. how can you think that is going to go down well on any level?
« Last Edit: Wednesday, May 23, 2007, 06:48:33 PM by beo »

Offline Ghandi

• HAMS
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday, May 23, 2007, 06:39:12 PM »
So, Ghandi, since when does starting a discussion make someone an "agitator"? Oh yeah, because I'm the one who started the discussion...

The problem is that there is no discussion to begin with. Let me quote my last post:
Quote from: me
Explain to me one intelligent conversation that could stem from the original post and I'll agree with you that you aren't an agitator.

Substitute the word agitator for what you like. I was just using it because you coined the term earlier in the thread.

Offline nickclone

• Veteran
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday, May 23, 2007, 07:07:44 PM »
The problem is that there is no discussion to begin with. Let me quote my last post:
Substitute the word agitator for what you like. I was just using it because you coined the term earlier in the thread.

Of course there is discussion for this, but people like you would rather attack me personally.

P.S. Maybe I should show sarcasm when I use the word "agitator"...I'll use this from now on:  ::)

Offline angrykeebler

• Veteran
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday, May 23, 2007, 07:14:28 PM »
You wanted a "discussion" and the way you went about it is posting this list that insults the beliefs of people on this board. This is why everyone is mad.

And you wonder why it is that people here attack you? Are you really that blind?
Suck it, Pugnate.

Offline Ghandi

• HAMS
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday, May 23, 2007, 07:23:12 PM »
Of course there is discussion for this, but people like you would rather attack me personally.

My mistake. Perhaps I should have included you in a larger group and attacked your beliefs?

I'm done with this conversation. Perhaps I'll rejoin it when you decide to start this discussion with the "seriously good points" the article raises.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday, May 23, 2007, 07:41:35 PM »
I'd just like to point out that I know of a whopping two Christians on this board.  Two.  We have 45 members, 30 some odd who post regularly.  Everybody else is either agnostic, an atheist, or just completely uninterested in religion.  We have a few Catholics, but the number there is pretty small too, and I don't think they're practicing Catholics.

And you know what nick?  Let's take a little example here.  Beo is an atheist who thinks religion is not only stupid, but evil.  I'm a Christian.  Not exactly a match made in heaven, right?  Beo also indulges in behavior that I couldn't even consider taking part in myself.  But you know what?  I'd pound drinks with him any night of the week.  I think he's an all right bloke.  You?  I'd probably break a glass over your head and throw you into a drainage ditch.  Beo and I are well aware of our respective beliefs, and well aware of how different they are, but I don't hate the guy.  Tet (Belmont) and I get along really well too, and I'm looking forward to him coming out to visit before too long, and he and I are on pretty different levels where all that goes as well.  He's an atheist, if I'm not mistaken.  Ghandi and I are on completely different wavelengths when it comes to tons of stuff, both political and spiritual, but I think he's an awesome guy and would be glad any day of the week to call him a friend.  Cobra and I disagree on a lot of sexual issues and some religious ones, but few people in the world make me feel like there's hope for humanity the way Cobra does.  Sy isn't religious and he's one of my best friends.  Paul, my old drinking buddy and friend through the ages, is an atheist, and we talk for hours about all kinds of crap.  Pyro and Idol are two of my favorite people on the planet, and I can't recall Pyro ever saying word 1 about religion in general, and Idol's an atheist.

So why is it that out of all these people, you're the one I can't deal with and you're the one nobody else can deal with?  My guess is it's you.  Try respecting someone for once in your life and maybe people will return the favor.

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #18 on: Wednesday, May 23, 2007, 07:55:37 PM »
You?  I'd probably break a glass over your head and throw you into a drainage ditch. 

Well.....that was a bit harsh.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #19 on: Wednesday, May 23, 2007, 07:59:49 PM »
Call it overstatement.  Or don't.

I should have mentioned you in that list, gpw.  There are certainly times when we don't agree, but I think you're an intelligent and insightful person.  Sorry for the omission.  Keebs too, though I only recently learned he's agnostic.

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #20 on: Wednesday, May 23, 2007, 08:01:48 PM »
I was kind of happy that you omited me, or at least omited how you were going to kill me if you ever met me...but this works too.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #21 on: Wednesday, May 23, 2007, 08:37:34 PM »
Shit, I'm mad.  I can be mad, right?  Cut me a little slack.  I don't rage out that often, do I?   :(

Offline PyroMenace

« Reply #22 on: Wednesday, May 23, 2007, 11:19:27 PM »

We've known you for a good while, and you've said a ton of shit. But I do remember you saying something along the lines of how your philosophy summed up to be not giving 2 shits about anybody. I remember that and ever since that day I always wonder why you come here at all. You can bitch all you want at how you feel like such an outcast, I don't even know why you said that above at all really. I can only guess its some sad attempt to try and tug at our emotion strings. Either way, I could give a fuck, leave or stay here. Because in the end, you could give a shit, right? Thought so.

Offline nickclone

• Veteran
« Reply #23 on: Thursday, May 24, 2007, 07:52:14 PM »
I'd just like to point out that I know of a whopping two Christians on this board.  Two.  We have 45 members, 30 some odd who post regularly.  Everybody else is either agnostic, an atheist, or just completely uninterested in religion.  We have a few Catholics, but the number there is pretty small too, and I don't think they're practicing Catholics.

And you know what nick?  Let's take a little example here.  Beo is an atheist who thinks religion is not only stupid, but evil.  I'm a Christian.  Not exactly a match made in heaven, right?  Beo also indulges in behavior that I couldn't even consider taking part in myself.  But you know what?  I'd pound drinks with him any night of the week.  I think he's an all right bloke.  You?  I'd probably break a glass over your head and throw you into a drainage ditch.  Beo and I are well aware of our respective beliefs, and well aware of how different they are, but I don't hate the guy.  Tet (Belmont) and I get along really well too, and I'm looking forward to him coming out to visit before too long, and he and I are on pretty different levels where all that goes as well.  He's an atheist, if I'm not mistaken.  Ghandi and I are on completely different wavelengths when it comes to tons of stuff, both political and spiritual, but I think he's an awesome guy and would be glad any day of the week to call him a friend.  Cobra and I disagree on a lot of sexual issues and some religious ones, but few people in the world make me feel like there's hope for humanity the way Cobra does.  Sy isn't religious and he's one of my best friends.  Paul, my old drinking buddy and friend through the ages, is an atheist, and we talk for hours about all kinds of crap.  Pyro and Idol are two of my favorite people on the planet, and I can't recall Pyro ever saying word 1 about religion in general, and Idol's an atheist.

So why is it that out of all these people, you're the one I can't deal with and you're the one nobody else can deal with?  My guess is it's you.  Try respecting someone for once in your life and maybe people will return the favor.

Well I'm not those people and lets face it, you're a dick yourself. I can get along with anyone here, a lot of you like to say some pretty assholish things to me and just expect me to smile and take it. Why should I have to be the bigger man all the time when you threaten to " break a glass over my head and throw me into a drainage ditch"? You're not a very good spokesperson for Christianity, do you even know what you're defending?

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #24 on: Thursday, May 24, 2007, 09:53:42 PM »
You can get along with everybody here, yet nobody likes you.  Kind of a funny paradox.

And yes, I get angry.  I know, it's pretty shocking that a human being can get pissed off when antagonized.  Might be tough for you, but try to wrap your head around it.

Offline poomcgoo

• Poster Child
« Reply #25 on: Friday, May 25, 2007, 10:17:05 AM »
I like nick's posts.  I just think you guys really need to chill out.  I'm a Catholic and I'd like to consider myself fairly pious, so obviously that top 10 list is fucking stupid to me.  Having a "serious" discussion about a retarded list is even more retarded than the list itself, so I can see how some of you might get a little offended but in reality, who really even gives a shit? 

Nick made a dumb topic, and most of you aren't criticizing that, you're just flat out insulting/threatening him.  I understand this is the Serious Topics board but come on, are you serious?

The list is stupid, and I'm pretty sure it's not designed to be taken seriously (unless the author is legally retarded), and if you're a candidate for getting offended by it then I dont think you're really as religious or informed about your religion than your anger reflects.  It looks like you're just looking for a reason to be an asshole to nick.  Religion isn't meant to be taken at face value, which is exactly what that list shows.  It's lame rhetoric and if you give it 2 seconds of thought then it's clear that it holds no merit.

Offline nickclone

• Veteran
« Reply #26 on: Friday, May 25, 2007, 09:33:58 PM »
I like nick's posts.  I just think you guys really need to chill out.  I'm a Catholic and I'd like to consider myself fairly pious, so obviously that top 10 list is fucking stupid to me.  Having a "serious" discussion about a retarded list is even more retarded than the list itself, so I can see how some of you might get a little offended but in reality, who really even gives a shit? 

Nick made a dumb topic, and most of you aren't criticizing that, you're just flat out insulting/threatening him.  I understand this is the Serious Topics board but come on, are you serious?

The list is stupid, and I'm pretty sure it's not designed to be taken seriously (unless the author is legally retarded), and if you're a candidate for getting offended by it then I dont think you're really as religious or informed about your religion than your anger reflects.  It looks like you're just looking for a reason to be an asshole to nick.  Religion isn't meant to be taken at face value, which is exactly what that list shows.  It's lame rhetoric and if you give it 2 seconds of thought then it's clear that it holds no merit.

I think it is a great topic, just because a few members cry and piss their pants doesn't mean it's dumb.

Que, you don't speak for everyone...thank God.

P.S. When did I say I didn't give a shit about anyone?

Offline beo

• Veteran
« Reply #27 on: Friday, May 25, 2007, 10:22:36 PM »
You can get along with everybody here, yet nobody likes you.  Kind of a funny paradox.

i don't dislike nick, in fact i quite like him most the time and can relate with him more than a lot of people here. i've just been posting here long enough to know the only outcome of a post like this, and i would of thought nick should be too. i think the list is pretty spot on, but there's no way in hell i'd post it. i mean, it's impossible to get through a genuinely serious debate on this board without people taking it personally and resorting to insults. for the status quo of this community, it has become apparent that we have to watch what we say when it comes to politics and religion here - something insulting religion directly goes utterly against that.

Offline Ghandi

• HAMS
« Reply #28 on: Friday, May 25, 2007, 11:53:53 PM »

I am Catholic as well. Had he posted this on the general board as a joke, I would not have responded the way that I did. He did, however, post this on the "serious" board, and state that, "I put this in serious topics because it brings up some seriously good points." I don't disagree with you that the post was retarded. The idea that it brings up "seriously good points" is even more fucking retarded.

The list is stupid, and I'm pretty sure it's not designed to be taken seriously (unless the author is legally retarded), and if you're a candidate for getting offended by it then I dont think you're really as religious or informed about your religion than your anger reflects.

Again, it was put on the serious board and he said that it raised seriously good points. I have no doubt that the list itself is dumb. I am extremely well informed about my religion, enough so that I question many aspects of it. Because I am one of the main propagators of this thread, I assume that your comments are directed at me. All of the points of the original post are either untrue or simply "flame" our religion. I would not have taken them seriously unless the original post directed me to do so.

It looks like you're just looking for a reason to be an asshole to nick.  Religion isn't meant to be taken at face value, which is exactly what that list shows.  It's lame rhetoric and if you give it 2 seconds of thought then it's clear that it holds no merit.

I don't disagree with all of Nicks posts, nor do I flame him on all of his posts. In fact, I do so on a minority of his posts. Look through my history and tell me that I do otherwise. I agree with you completely that religion (for the most part) is not to be taken at face value and that the original post holds no merit. If you look through the topic, you will see that I agree that the original post is bullshit.

I think it is a great topic, just because a few members cry and piss their pants doesn't mean it's dumb.

I don't know who you are directing this comment towards but I will assume that one of the people is me. Post otherwise if this is not the case. If so, this statement only solidifies my stance on this subject. You never advanced the conversation, or stated the "seriously good points" the article raised. In fact, the only person that seems to be "attacking" people in this thread is you.

i don't dislike nick, in fact i quite like him most the time and can relate with him more than a lot of people here. I've just been posting here long enough to know the only outcome of a post like this, and i would of thought nick should be too. i think the list is pretty spot on, but there's no way in hell i'd post it. i mean, it's impossible to get through a genuinely serious debate on this board without people taking it personally and resorting to insults. for the status quo of this community, it has become apparent that we have to watch what we say when it comes to politics and religion here - something insulting religion directly goes utterly against that.

I hardly profess to be one of the main voices of this community, but its impossible to get through any serious debate on any board without people taking it personally. This is the nature of good debate. The idea that we should stop debating because things are getting heated or that a discussion is becoming personal is ludicrous- one of the best reasons for debate is that it advances the viewpoints of others. What better board on the website has done this than the serious board? Your post raises some serious questions: Why does this status quo that you profess exist?

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #29 on: Saturday, May 26, 2007, 12:14:56 AM »

I have to agree with this post. While I think Nick's post was probably uncalled for, I don't see the need to resort to insults.

Offline beo

• Veteran
« Reply #30 on: Saturday, May 26, 2007, 07:35:58 AM »
I hardly profess to be one of the main voices of this community, but its impossible to get through any serious debate on any board without people taking it personally. This is the nature of good debate. The idea that we should stop debating because things are getting heated or that a discussion is becoming personal is ludicrous- one of the best reasons for debate is that it advances the viewpoints of others. What better board on the website has done this than the serious board? Your post raises some serious questions: Why does this status quo that you profess exist?

i don't suggest for a second that we stop debating! i too agree that a good debate advances peoples views. sometimes it just gets a bit a little bit less civil then i'd like.

as for the status quo thing, some of us have fundamentally different beliefs on politics and religion (to the extent of polar opposites) and it's not good for the social health of the community to challenge these views constantly. sometimes it's better (or at least easier) to disagree quietly.

Offline Ghandi

• HAMS
« Reply #31 on: Saturday, May 26, 2007, 09:58:36 PM »
I dunno, I see where you are coming from, but I just don't think that stifling our viewpoints on serious issues will help things. The whole point of the serious board is to warn people about the type of discussion here. Lots of people stay away for that reason. I think when we have had a few *intelligent, good* discussions, it's great for the community. All too often, however, it does seem to turn into a thread like this one. Sometimes disagreeing quietly may be fine, but in this case I felt insulted. Anyone ignorant enough to put this in the serious board and say that it raises good points is not going to get quiet disagreement.

Offline beo

• Veteran
« Reply #32 on: Saturday, May 26, 2007, 11:27:02 PM »
I dunno, I see where you are coming from, but I just don't think that stifling our viewpoints on serious issues will help things. The whole point of the serious board is to warn people about the type of discussion here. Lots of people stay away for that reason. I think when we have had a few *intelligent, good* discussions, it's great for the community. All too often, however, it does seem to turn into a thread like this one. Sometimes disagreeing quietly may be fine, but in this case I felt insulted. Anyone ignorant enough to put this in the serious board and say that it raises good points is not going to get quiet disagreement.

well no, i quiet agree. i would prefer not to hold back opinions, but by the time i stumble upon a thread here, there's often so much rage and indignation, that it's simply not worth adding my views - especially if i disagree with the majority. as far as religion is concerned, my views are very dismissive of organised religion, so i think it's best to keep them locked up as not to offend.

Offline nickclone

• Veteran
« Reply #33 on: Sunday, May 27, 2007, 02:26:58 AM »
well no, i quiet agree. i would prefer not to hold back opinions, but by the time i stumble upon a thread here, there's often so much rage and indignation, that it's simply not worth adding my views - especially if i disagree with the majority. as far as religion is concerned, my views are very dismissive of organised religion, so i think it's best to keep them locked up as not to offend.

Don't keep your views of organized religion locked up, thats what people who partake in organized religion want...unless you're on their side. It doesn't matter anyways, you can't debate religion with a religious person because they don't have to defend their views. They think that everything is the way it is because God made it that way and God can't be wrong. You can make the most scientific explanation to topics like: how the earth was formed, how humans got here, where the sun came from ,etc and they will just blow these explanations off. You'd think that someone proven wrong would change their minds or at least try to find an answer...no. They just say "Its what I believe".

I find it funny that you can post a topic denouncing atheism and its ok, but chrisianity is a big "no no"! The text I posted in has many good points, but most of you people would rather attack me than address the the topic at hand. I thought christians were loving and understanding, why so defensive?

Offline beo

• Veteran
« Reply #34 on: Sunday, May 27, 2007, 03:23:48 AM »
to be honest, i don't think that you could make a post here criticizing atheism - well obviously you could, but it would be torn down pretty quickly. i agree that the original post has a lot of good points, it covers a lot of the reasons why i find organised religion so funny. i'd like to clarify that i feel i at no point attacked you, nick - i just pointed out that it was obviously going to offend and achieve nothing positive.

i think we all know where everybody here stands religion-wise, and there's no reason to go over it again. it's completely futile. people who believe in organized religion have their reasons (however crazy they may seem to some) and it's very difficult to sway them. if we push our views too hard, we end up being no better than the jehova's witnesses or mormons.

Offline nickclone

• Veteran
« Reply #35 on: Sunday, May 27, 2007, 05:29:47 AM »
to be honest, i don't think that you could make a post here criticizing atheism - well obviously you could, but it would be torn down pretty quickly. i agree that the original post has a lot of good points, it covers a lot of the reasons why i find organised religion so funny. i'd like to clarify that i feel i at no point attacked you, nick - i just pointed out that it was obviously going to offend and achieve nothing positive.

i think we all know where everybody here stands religion-wise, and there's no reason to go over it again. it's completely futile. people who believe in organized religion have their reasons (however crazy they may seem to some) and it's very difficult to sway them. if we push our views too hard, we end up being no better than the jehova's witnesses or mormons.

We're completely cool, I'm a big boy and I can handle any criticism without throwing a temper tantrum. Theres only a few people...well one person...who tries to attack and harass me all the time, but I think its a school yard crush.

Once again, I don't think discussing religion should be taboo on this board. Yes, we all know how everyone else feels about it, but thats no reason to stop. We also know how everyone here feels about Bush, gas prices, abortion, gays and Iraq, should that be considered taboo as well? Seriously, if a few people here can't handle discussion in the serious topics board, maybe they should stay away.

Offline Ghandi

• HAMS
« Reply #36 on: Sunday, May 27, 2007, 09:54:25 AM »
Nick, I think that you fundamentally misunderstand what my responses have been about in this thread. I'm all for discussion- hell, I'm not even the biggest Catholic, in the sense that many of my personal views clash with the doctrines of the church. In fact, had the original post been worded in such a way that doesn't *attack* the religion, I might have agreed with some of them. But the fact is, there was never a religious discussion in this thread because you really didn't start one. Let me give you an example: After you said that it raises some good points, you could point out a few. For example, you could explain how point #2 in the post points to the blind faith that man religious people seem to hold. Then you could expand this thought. Then I would respond that the point itself entirely misses the purpose of prayer. I would expand on this. Surely you see how this is an actual discussion as opposed to stating over and over that there are good points without actually posting them. You cant state that discussing religion is taboo when there is no discussion to begin with.

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #37 on: Sunday, May 27, 2007, 12:26:07 PM »
I hope this will lighten the mood here :P

Offline nickclone

• Veteran
« Reply #38 on: Sunday, May 27, 2007, 02:57:17 PM »
Nick, I think that you fundamentally misunderstand what my responses have been about in this thread. I'm all for discussion- hell, I'm not even the biggest Catholic, in the sense that many of my personal views clash with the doctrines of the church. In fact, had the original post been worded in such a way that doesn't *attack* the religion, I might have agreed with some of them. But the fact is, there was never a religious discussion in this thread because you really didn't start one. Let me give you an example: After you said that it raises some good points, you could point out a few. For example, you could explain how point #2 in the post points to the blind faith that man religious people seem to hold. Then you could expand this thought. Then I would respond that the point itself entirely misses the purpose of prayer. I would expand on this. Surely you see how this is an actual discussion as opposed to stating over and over that there are good points without actually posting them. You cant state that discussing religion is taboo when there is no discussion to begin with.

I didn't to jump in like a referee, say "fight" and jump back out. I didn't state the good points of the post because I felt they were obvious, at least they are to me. I understand that people have different levels of faith, but I thought this would be clear cut. It wasn't mean't to be an attack.

Offline Shadowswhisper

• n00b
« Reply #39 on: Tuesday, May 29, 2007, 01:19:56 PM »
10 - You vigorously deny the existence of thousands of gods claimed by other
religions, but feel outraged when someone denies the existence of yours.

9 - You feel insulted and "dehumanized" when scientists say that people
evolved from other life forms, but you have no problem with the Biblical
claim that we were created from dirt.

8 - You laugh at polytheists, but you have no problem believing in a Triune
God.

7 - Your face turns purple when you hear of the "atrocities" attributed to
Allah, but you don't even flinch when hearing about how God/Jehovah
slaughtered all the babies of Egypt in "Exodus" and ordered the elimination
of entire ethnic groups in "Joshua" including women, children, and trees!

6 - You laugh at Hindu beliefs that deify humans, and Greek claims about
gods sleeping with women, but you have no problem believing that the Holy
Spirit impregnated Mary, who then gave birth to a man-god who got killed,
came back to life and then ascended into the sky.

5 - You are willing to spend your life looking for little loopholes in the
scientifically established age of Earth (few billion years), but you find
nothing wrong with believing dates recorded by Bronze Age tribesmen sitting
in their tents and guessing that Earth is a few generations old.

4 - You believe that the entire population of this planet with the exception
of those who share your beliefs -- though excluding those in all rival sects
- will spend Eternity in an infinite Hell of Suffering. And yet consider
your religion the most "tolerant" and "loving."

3 - While modern science, history, geology, biology, and physics have failed
to convince you otherwise, some idiot rolling around on the floor speaking
in "tongues" may be all the evidence you need to "prove" Christianity.

2 - You define 0.01% as a "high success rate" when it comes to answered
prayers. You consider that to be evidence that prayer works. And you think
that the remaining 99.99% FAILURE was simply the will of God.

1 - You actually know a lot less than many atheists and agnostics do about
the Bible, Christianity, and church history - but still call yourself a
Christian.

I dont think this is funny. I was upset reading this, but i have to say i was more upset because some of these did ring true to me. So then now i am going to have to dissect this post. Lets start what nick failed to do.

Point #10 : Not relevant - i am not outraged, i doubt many christians are, i am sure a lot of extremist will, but as i said, i think its not relevant and as such is just a stupid point.

#9 : Not accurate - we werent created from dirt per say, we were created by God - which by definition of a 'God' could have created anything from anything. The two things being compared are not standing on the same foundation.

#8 : A misunderstood concept. I am a son, a bf, and a co-worker. I am NOT 3 person. Same thing here. We are defining God's role rather than Him actually being 3 Gods.

#7 : An incorrect conclusion. Christians treats old testament much like history, and new testament much like our bread and butter. Not sure how it works, but we believe in Jesus - who teaches compassion and forgiveness. I guess all i can say about it is that early in the days, God was outraged when His new creation denies Him. However, as time goes, He gave them choice to follow Him, or not, with consequences in the afterlife. All in all, i think it is an insult to say that i or any christians would not be outrage if the slaughter back then happens now. Under ANY cause.

#6 : Someone help me with number 6 here?

#5 : Ignorance, a lot of christians believed that the 7 days of creation could mean anything.

#4 : Actually, i think buddhism is very tolerant, hahah. Not sure where this #4 comes from, there is nowhere that says we are most tolerant or loving.

#3 : Actually, i think those people are idiots too!

#2 : I think this is sadly true for a lot of christians, and it is actually FALSE. A lot of Christians misunderstood the concept of relying on God, and they misunderstood why God gave them free will. I completely disagree with this concept where I try my hardest, my best, my all, to do the only thing i know to do, to fail, and then to blame myself because i was 'obviously' not following God's intent for me. I am not sure if i am illustrating myself clearly >_<.

#1 : There is a passage about this in the bible.  :P About those who knows more about our religion than ourselves. I forgot what that passage is, but i like the fact that it is somehow prophesied that these people will show up.

All in all, i think this post did belong in the humor section.