Author Topic: Overwritten.net Podcast is UP!  (Read 11689 times)

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
Overwritten.net Podcast is UP!
« on: Sunday, June 03, 2007, 12:25:39 AM »
And it is the most horrible thing you've ever heard!

Anyway, this is our test run/pilot episode.  It was quite fun, and a good learning experience.  In the future we hope things will be improved.  As of now... just accept it for what it is.  It's pretty poor quality, and kind of funny, not to mention there's absolutely no rhyme or reason to anything we did whatsoever.  But that's why you hang out here, right?

Thanks to Idol, Cools, and NatchDan for participating in this monumental project, and thanks to Cools for taking care of the recording, the editing (cools: "editing?  what editing?"), and all the encoding.  Hopefully as we continue on we'll manage to get some of the technical crap straightened out as we go (next step is better quality with a different recording method, possibly more editing), but it's a start!

Thanks again everybody, it was good times.

EDIT - No idea when episode 2 will surface.  Again, this was mostly a test.  We'll figure that out in the future.  =)
« Last Edit: Sunday, June 03, 2007, 01:07:07 AM by Quemaqua »

天才的な閃きと平均以下のテクニックやな。 課長有野

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
Re: Overwritten.net Podcast is UP!
« Reply #1 on: Sunday, June 03, 2007, 12:33:55 AM »
Ow, my freakin' ears!

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #2 on: Sunday, June 03, 2007, 12:42:38 AM »
It's like being raped in the side of the head with a pipe.

Offline sirean_syan

• Global Moderator
  • Post-aholic
« Reply #3 on: Sunday, June 03, 2007, 01:31:55 AM »
Haven't listened yet, but maybe it should be episode zero or .1 to distance yourself from the beginnings once things get better.

I'm a bit sorry I couldn't get involved tonight. I've got my new weekend work schedule going for the rest of the summer and I'm getting used to it. While I'll get my own personal weekend in the middle of the week, it doesn't line up with most people.

Edit: You all should give yourself some more credit. You don't sound half bad. Props to Dan for great asides.
« Last Edit: Sunday, June 03, 2007, 02:13:15 AM by sirean_syan »

Offline TheOtherBelmont

• Post-aholic
« Reply #4 on: Sunday, June 03, 2007, 03:03:21 AM »
I second what Sy said, you should all give yourself more credit.  That was a lot better than I expected for a first run and could probably be fine tuned into something more professional.  Whenever you guys do another one, hopefully I can get in on it, I've got a few things I could talk about, Odin Sphere and Rogue Galaxy for sure, and some other stuff.  Just give a heads up on when you guys want to do it so I can tell you guys if I have to work or not.

Offline beo

• Veteran
« Reply #5 on: Sunday, June 03, 2007, 04:05:19 AM »
nice. obviously it's a bit mixed up and stuff, but there's promise there. if you can lay out a more formed structure for discussion before hand (which i assume is the plan), it could turn out to be genuinely good. is it going to be the same group every installment, or are there going to be a few regulars, or what? i'm trying to figure if i have anything to add to this, and how much of a problem i have with completely embarrassing myself if it goes tits up.

maybe an idea would be to outline games and other various topics a week beforehand, and then whoever has something to say can prepare an outline for what they want to contribute.

Offline NatchDan

• I object.
    • NatchDan Music
« Reply #6 on: Sunday, June 03, 2007, 06:18:38 AM »
Hah, it was fun, and it doesn't actually sound all that bad. It turned out better than my first multi-person one, anyway. xD

Also, thanks, Sy. xD

EDIT: Oh hey, we forgot to come back to the Sims movie.
|

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #7 on: Sunday, June 03, 2007, 09:06:53 AM »
I definitely want in next time. I don't know know how it would be possible with the time zone crap etc... but I want to manage.

Anyway I really loved it, honestly. I am laughing as I hear this for the second time... It is the first time I am hearing your voices, and it is great. Hey are we allowed to cuss? I want to spread my loathing for Ubisoft. This is the first time I've heard anyone say coolman0stress out loud, and it just sounds hilarious.

And I've saved this for the end, but damn Que, great job!!!!!!!!!

After all of Que's ranting and reading his articles etc over all these years, I had expectations... and it wasn't a let down. I guess I was really disappointed by watching Maddox, who turned out to be a bumbling idiot -- using the word "like" every five seconds -- but Que sounds like I had pictured.

You guys did a great fucking job. I laughed a lot... especially at the pac man joke. :)

Xessive and I should be together on this. It would be awesome...

edit:

My favorite bits:

--------------------------------------------
As a real guitarist I found Guitar Hero confusing...
Stupid plastic guitar
We should do that delicious thing as well. that comment makes Cools sound like an exotic chef on BBC food.
I am playing the very recent Paper Mario *followed by giggles*

Cools: I'd like to join you guys at one point....(Diablo 2)

Idol: Can we have more than four people in the server?

Que: Its a four person maximum.

*long uncomfortable silence*

Cools: oh.

hahhahaha

Also Natch, Master of Orion was awesome.

That bit on Xbox users targeting Vista users is hilarious.

Que: Being unemployed and desolate was the best time of my life....

« Last Edit: Sunday, June 03, 2007, 09:56:17 AM by Pugnate »

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #8 on: Sunday, June 03, 2007, 09:25:59 AM »
beo: Yeah, we do have to structure it a bit more. We all learned quite a bit by doing this last night. It turns out you really do have to be more structured and have less "winging it." Que had the outline list but none of the rest of us did (you should have heard the parts we didn't keep.) Plus we did like no editing to what you guys heard. From the intro to the end was one long take, nothing cut. We can of course edit out the long silences in post for future casts.

Pug: I dont see a problem with cussing, just keep it in check. I personally won't be swearing much if at all because I'm still at home and I know my mom doesn't like it. If cussing is a problem we can always bleep it in post.

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #9 on: Sunday, June 03, 2007, 09:31:32 AM »
No I was just kidding about the cussing. :P

My mother will be around in a few days as well.

Also some of the long silences added to the podcast. :)

edit:

I love the bit where Natchdan talks about getting free music on that creative player. He may have just gotten a store in trouble.

edit 2:

I have to agree on the comments on Firefly. The show was about the humor, and should have been advertised as such. And I agree with Que, the fact that kept me from checking out the show initially was that it was done by the person well known for the Buffy show.

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #10 on: Sunday, June 03, 2007, 09:46:54 AM »
hehe. Glad you're enjoying it. Next time sound quality will be much better since we'll all record ourselves and then mash them together afterwards, so we'll all sound as good as cools did. Minus the sexy accent. :P

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #11 on: Sunday, June 03, 2007, 10:02:55 AM »
haha I know... Cools sexy' accent plus his love for the word 'delicious' made him sound like some BBC food chef.

Cools you must say "delicious" at least once in every podcast. Make that your signature. When you become famous, people will imitate you. Men will make love to their wives with fake Russian accents and say "delicious" to get them off. Also I really found your comments on SLR cameras interesting.

Natch did a really good job. I thought his comments were really funny, and enjoyed his references to old PC favorites like M.O.O.

Que did a great job hosting. Kept things ticking, and was the sane steady voice between the chaotic fun.

Idols sounded like he was tuning in from Pluto. But I loved the self depreciating humor, especially on the new games. And that stuff from the Shadowrun forums was quite interesting. Idol you could make that your thing. You could talk about funny stuff happening on the forums across the net... like you used to have those regular articles on game mods.

Overall I'd say this podcast was more entertaining than many of the video blogs I've seen from IGN and Tom's Hardware.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
  • OWNet 4 Eternity & Beyond
« Reply #12 on: Sunday, June 03, 2007, 10:06:26 AM »
*Listening to this Podcast right now....*

Offline scottws

• Gold Member
    • Facebook Me
« Reply #13 on: Sunday, June 03, 2007, 10:08:45 AM »
Wow guys I'm really impressed.  I always took Que as to be a guy that just hated everything and I've discovered that he definitely has talents and passions.  No offense Que.  :P

Great job fellas!

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #14 on: Sunday, June 03, 2007, 10:10:09 AM »
LOL @ The talk of The Pac Man Movie.

Offline scottws

• Gold Member
    • Facebook Me
« Reply #15 on: Sunday, June 03, 2007, 10:16:27 AM »
Awesome idea about the list of links or forum topic summary.

Podcast forum:  Sure can be done, but yeah I agree let's have some discussion about it.  Personally, I think it would be something more suited for a main page but yeah it would be trivial to add a forum or sub-forum.

Flash player thing = easy.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #16 on: Sunday, June 03, 2007, 10:22:00 AM »
A Sub-Forum for our Podcasts.....
Hmmmmmmmmmm....
That would be cool....

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #17 on: Sunday, June 03, 2007, 10:23:52 AM »
I have a suggestion for next time. Someone can talk about Uwe Boll's wonderful movies.

Also this is a serious question. Is it a good idea to have any serious discussion on Jack Thompson? I wouldn't put it above him to sue anyone.

Oh and I just made an account on Skype. My user name is *drum roll*... Pugnate. Do add me. :)

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #18 on: Sunday, June 03, 2007, 10:24:26 AM »
LOL @ the comment of having an Elite Diablo 2 server.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #19 on: Sunday, June 03, 2007, 10:26:18 AM »
It's okay scott, you're mostly right.  I just passionately hate everything.  =D

Thanks for the feedback, guys, we appreciate you listening.  I seem to sort have been spearheading this, though that wasn't so much my original intention, but given that I have a little bit of experience with various audio productions and some home recording, I guess I'm taking to it well enough.  Planning outlines and such isn't a far cry from all the stuff I used to do at AOG, either.  It's really just going to be coming up with features and properly organizing a good outline for all the participants.

And speaking of which... I don't know about the cast.  Given that there's a bit of a learning curve for this, and given that not everybody is well suited to "radio" (I was happy to hear that Dan and Cools both handled themselves with grace and were very listenable), I don't know that it's a great idea to constantly be shifting people around and trying to get a new cast every time.  But of course I don't really want to leave people out if they want to participate... so it sort of leaves me in a bind.  We haven't discussed this kind of thing in great detail yet, so we'll have to get some kind of official consensus as to how we want to do things going forward.  I certainly want to have people pop on as guests for stuff... like beo, we totally need to have a nice long discussion about miniature wargaming with you and Sy on the show for one of the hobby segments (or hell, it could become a regular segment given the interest here, given its association with gaming, and given that there are only so many hobbies one can cover in a hobby segment, let alone so many hobbies that people actually participate in... and there really aren't any other mini/Warhammer podcasts out there that I've seen except for like one, and it was sort of weird).

I'd like to have another chat with some of the guys and the admins about what our next steps will be both as far as the show and as far as integrating it into the site, and I plan to rework the existing outline for this show for next time since we skipped most of the specific content I'd thrown down due to Tet not being with us and me wanting to get on more solid ground before I talked about anything I considered important.

So stay tuned.  I think that no matter what happens this will be fun and (with a little luck) entertaining for everyone... we'll just have to see how the specifics work out.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #20 on: Sunday, June 03, 2007, 10:29:13 AM »
LOL @ Que calling Jack Thompson's tactics some "interesting antics."

Cools

« Reply #21 on: Sunday, June 03, 2007, 10:35:48 AM »
Yes, I sound weird and out of place because I was recording my voice seperate from the
main Skype conversation.

haha I know... Cools sexy' accent plus his love for the word 'delicious' made him sound like some BBC food chef.

Whata??!!!! :P

I think the podcast turned out a lot better than we all expected it to be. We can try recording our own voices seperate next time and then put them together in synch with the Skype recording. Still, with a bit of noise reducation and (audio) compression I added in post it made the whole thing sound fairly decent so the plain Skype recording is always a backup setup we can use.

I think with the group of people we have we could try having multiple shorter podcasts going with different groups of people for each topic (same podcast, just slightly different line up depending on topic). Something like 2-4 people per group, max. That way we keep the "spirit" of the podcast going and don't get bugged down with people's schedules constantly changing, etc.

I'd also love to see more interview style podcasts where we have someone like Que having a 30-60min conversation just with one member of the forum.

Anyway, if anyone wants to record a podcast, just let me know and I'll record it for ya (without participating myself).

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #22 on: Sunday, June 03, 2007, 10:38:48 AM »
*still listening to this Podcast*

LOL @ Buffy being such a "pile of garbage."
Agreed, Que.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #23 on: Sunday, June 03, 2007, 10:40:35 AM »
My God... do you guys realize this?  While listening to the podcast.... MYD IS RESPONDING TO IT LINE BY LINE!  :-[   ;D

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #24 on: Sunday, June 03, 2007, 10:42:37 AM »
We can try recording our own voices seperate next time and then put them together in synch with the Skype recording.

So basically people would record their end of the conversation and then upload it to you?

My God... do you guys realize this?  While listening to the podcast.... MYD IS RESPONDING TO IT LINE BY LINE!

hahaha...

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #25 on: Sunday, June 03, 2007, 10:43:47 AM »
What is this Skype thing???

Is it like an Internet voice chat-room???

Cools

« Reply #26 on: Sunday, June 03, 2007, 10:48:50 AM »
So basically people would record their end of the conversation and then upload it to you?

Yup, you listen to everyone through Skype and record your own voice. Then someone puts it all together and we get a much nicer sounding quality podcast, though at the cost of more time getting it done (files can get really big, time to edit, etc.). We'll have to try it out at some point.

My God... do you guys realize this?  While listening to the podcast.... MYD IS RESPONDING TO IT LINE BY LINE!     

We just found the show summary person...

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #27 on: Sunday, June 03, 2007, 10:50:19 AM »
Cools, I was mentioning to Que what an amazing job you did of compressing this. It downloaded instantly for me.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #28 on: Sunday, June 03, 2007, 10:52:09 AM »
Yup, you listen to everyone through Skype and record your own voice. Then someone puts it all together and we get a much nicer sounding quality podcast, though at the cost of more time getting it done (files can get really big, time to edit, etc.). We'll have to try it out at some point.
Ooooh, that's quite interesting.
Cool.

We just found the show summary person...
Yay!!!

I knew I had some use around here....
...Even if I ain't much of any use... ;)

Offline NatchDan

• I object.
    • NatchDan Music
« Reply #29 on: Sunday, June 03, 2007, 10:58:31 AM »
By the way, here's some deliciousness:

Pacman: The Movie
Frets On Fire
I Wish I Could Hate You To Death shirt

Samurai Pizza Cats can be found in the music/movies forum.

Also, thanks for all the compliments! I thought I was gonna be wallpaper. xD
|

Cools

« Reply #30 on: Sunday, June 03, 2007, 10:58:47 AM »
It's CBR, 32kbits, 22.05Khz, mono, encoded with LAME. Down to 12.9mb from a 617mb file. I recorded the conversation at CD quality (16bit at 48Khz actually). Next time, I'll try to record at much lower quality to save encoding/processing time and disk space on my end.

Offline Ghandi

• HAMS
« Reply #31 on: Sunday, June 03, 2007, 11:02:35 AM »
That was much better than expected, nice job everyone involved. It was shaky at the beginning (which is to be expected) but near the end everyone seemed to get the hang of things and it went smoothly. Good job editing cools, everyone sounded nice. Perhaps a script (as Que already said) would make things go a little smoother.

My God... do you guys realize this?  While listening to the podcast.... MYD IS RESPONDING TO IT LINE BY LINE!  :-[   ;D

Thanks for the laugh :D I was dying laughing after reading that.

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #32 on: Sunday, June 03, 2007, 11:10:21 AM »
So I set up some junk, we don't have to use them.

First a podcast email addy: overwrittenpodcast@gmail.com

So if we get listeners and they want to email us stuff, or do like the PCG podcast and have people submit MP3 questions or something (no idea how they go about doing that...). Whatever. I just needed an email for:

http://del.icio.us/overwritten

Hooray for link stuff! I already put a few links in there from the test podcast. I'll also post login info in the admin area, and we can PM it around to the people that need it so they can check the emails or add links to del.icio.us.

Offline scottws

• Gold Member
    • Facebook Me
« Reply #33 on: Sunday, June 03, 2007, 11:16:45 AM »
I think Ant has some e-mail accounts here so podcast@overwritten.net isn't out of the question.

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #34 on: Sunday, June 03, 2007, 11:24:13 AM »
oh well...duh, thatd be even better. I just needed to make an email to set up the delicious thing.

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #35 on: Sunday, June 03, 2007, 11:25:34 AM »
I agree... very delicious.

Offline NatchDan

• I object.
    • NatchDan Music
« Reply #36 on: Sunday, June 03, 2007, 11:34:41 AM »
When I click that delicious link, it says "All OVerwritten's items (5)", and there's a list of tags, but the actual items view is blank and says no items.
|

Cools

« Reply #37 on: Sunday, June 03, 2007, 11:45:26 AM »
I don't think any content was added  yet.

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #38 on: Sunday, June 03, 2007, 11:47:01 AM »
huh...yeah. I saw them because I was logged in. Maybe there is some setting I need to change.

Hmmm, nothing I can see. It might be something on their end, because at the top it says "due to a temporary problem your bookmarks/tags may appear out-of-date but your data is safe; we are working on the issue!"

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #39 on: Sunday, June 03, 2007, 12:11:09 PM »
It says "showing all 5" for me, but I'm only seeing 2.  However, those two work (Shadowrun and Frets).