Author Topic: Autobots, transform and rollout!  (Read 4853 times)

Offline Jedi

• Poster Child
Autobots, transform and rollout!
« on: Saturday, June 30, 2007, 12:55:15 AM »
Just came back from watching the movie and I loved it!

At its heart it’s an action movie and it does deliver on that level but there’s plenty of humour; you haven’t heard the phrase “my bad” until you've heard Prime say it. Classic stuff. There’s some great lines that any good fan will pick up including a classic from the original movie that almost made me jump out of my seat. Oh and read what it says on the cop car during the first chase scene, it’s funny.
The action is pretty typical of Bay with the quick cuts etc, there’s not much in the way of slow-mo shots but where Bay uses them it’s done to great affect. Prime is pretty badass in one fight, though I wanted to see more bot on bot fights, don’t get me wrong there’s plenty as it is I just wanted more!
The CGI is pretty good, there’s just tons of it and all the bots look great there’s just so much detail.

The script does the franchise justice, yeah they didn’t mention a lot of things and some things were changed but it works and it still feels like it was written by fans for the fans. I just can’t tell you how cool it is every time Prime speaks, I felt like a kid again.
« Last Edit: Saturday, June 30, 2007, 03:34:10 AM by Jedi »

Offline ScaryTooth

• Veteran
Re: Autobots, transform and rollout!
« Reply #1 on: Monday, July 02, 2007, 09:14:00 PM »
We went and saw it tonight. I loved it. I'd say it does the series justice. Loved the dialog, it felt just like the TV series. I have to say I was geeking out through most of the movie.

Offline Jedi

• Poster Child
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday, July 03, 2007, 12:55:35 AM »
We went and saw it tonight. I loved it. I'd say it does the series justice. Loved the dialog, it felt just like the TV series. I have to say I was geeking out through most of the movie.

I'm thinking about seeing it again before it closes in the theatres. I was picking lines out left and right and grinning ear to ear..
Of all the reviews I've read after seeing it they give it 4 out 5 or what have you but the IGN review annoyed me a little saying that the level of detail given to the transformations was unnecessary… I mean what the hell it’s a movie about robots that transform! It’s like a star wars movie with poor light sabre fights! Anyway I thought the transformations in particular were very cool. I do have a few nitpicks but I just can’t be arsed typing them out it’s just not worth it.

Offline PyroMenace

« Reply #3 on: Sunday, July 08, 2007, 07:43:30 PM »
It took a little bit to really get the movie rolling, but I think once Prime made his way into his introduction, it was all pure awesome from there. The humor was a little too far into the cheese and the kid really annoyed me at the beginning of it but I was able to get passed it for what it was. Like I said, once Prime and the autobots come into it, you really can't help but feel the kid in you just go totally giddy.

Offline Jedi

• Poster Child
« Reply #4 on: Monday, July 09, 2007, 12:27:24 AM »
Thinking about now, I thinking about I think the autobots needed a little more personality and face time, and the action was sometimes to fast, butI still love the movie. I hope they come up with a sequal.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
  • OWNet 4 Eternity & Beyond
« Reply #5 on: Saturday, July 14, 2007, 02:43:42 PM »
Thinking about now, I thinking about I think the autobots needed a little more personality and face time, and the action was sometimes to fast, butI still love the movie. I hope they come up with a sequal.

Given the amount of $ this movie made opening week (and the money it's still making), I think a sequel's inevitable.

Offline Antares

• Veteran
« Reply #6 on: Sunday, July 15, 2007, 03:29:27 PM »
I saw this yesterday, and despite running on like 3 hours sleep and a bit of a hangover, I had no problem staying awake in the Theater.  Overall I was impressed with the movie.  Some of the action scenes were cut too quickly for my tastes, but the CGI and sound were both incredible.  The script was also cheesy, but the humor was fairly well done and I really wasn't expecting much in the plot department.

I did get a bit of an unpleasant feeling that I was watching a 2 hour GM commercial/army recruiting video.

Offline sirean_syan

• Global Moderator
  • Post-aholic
« Reply #7 on: Sunday, July 15, 2007, 04:30:48 PM »
I went today not expecting too much and I was a bit disappointed. My complaints boils down to "Less people more robots." You really couldn't get into the personality of most of the robots, especially with the Decepticons. At least the Autobots got a bit of non-combat screen time, but I really wanted to see Devastator be a brain-dead crushing machine and Starscream be the backstabbing ass-kisser he is. Oh yeah, and Hugo Weaving as Megatron? He's just become the go-to guy for everything these days and, as much as I like him, it's getting a little old. Last time I check, Leonard Nimoy was still alive. Not that he's the original Megatron, but he's close enough.

Of course, like everyone says, the action was great if a little too quick. They really did manage to give things a pretty good sense of scale and Prime turned out awesome. I guess you can't ask for too much more.

Offline scottws

• Gold Member
    • Facebook Me
« Reply #8 on: Sunday, July 15, 2007, 09:46:28 PM »
Saw it tonight and liked it well enough.  The CGI was incredible.  The story was cheesy, but fairly well-presented.  As an IT guy, I cringed a bit at some of the techno stuff they did but I had to realize it was just a movie made by people who just don't know any better.

It was pretty awesome.  Didn't have quite the impact on me that Live Free or Die Hard did when it was over, but it was quite impressive.

I was very surprised at the Mustang police car guy, with GM sponsoring the movie and all.  I guess maybe Ford=bad?  I don't know, but they sure made him seem pretty awesome.

Offline Antares

• Veteran
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday, July 17, 2007, 07:42:30 PM »
That was a mustang?  I thought it was the new dodge charger.  You're right though, that car was pretty badass.

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday, July 24, 2007, 07:42:40 PM »
OK, I have to agree that the CGI and general action were pretty good.  I liked the bots just fine too.  But the juvenile, sometimes puerile story simply has to go.  Comic book doesn't have to mean teenager school fantasy.  All human characters seemed to spring from the mind of a 15-year-old parent-hating, authority-bashing bag of hormones.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday, July 24, 2007, 08:07:06 PM »
That's a drag.  That's what I've been most afraid of, really, which is why I haven't gone to see it.

天才的な閃きと平均以下のテクニックやな。 課長有野

Offline sirean_syan

• Global Moderator
  • Post-aholic

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday, July 24, 2007, 10:50:21 PM »
Haha, that's awesome.

天才的な閃きと平均以下のテクニックやな。 課長有野

Offline beo

• Veteran
« Reply #14 on: Friday, July 27, 2007, 05:44:00 AM »
despite the already mentioned shortcomings of the film, i still thought it was awesome. if you're looking for a piece of "art", you'll want to look elsewhere. as a somewhat cheesy action film with massive robots, it does what it does very well. i actually thought it was pretty funny too, and not in a, "my gawds, they've raped my childhood" way at all.

Offline Jedi

• Poster Child
« Reply #15 on: Saturday, July 28, 2007, 05:38:24 AM »
Yeah while I loved it, I have this to say to many of the critics on and off this forum: it’s a movie about giant robots directed by Micheal Bay, just what where you expecting? Come on... really, Micheal Bay and giant robots... really.

Offline Antares

• Veteran
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday, August 01, 2007, 09:02:24 PM »
Yeah, this is pretty much true (especially the Bumblebee bit at the end, that weirded me out).

Ha! 

(click to show/hide)

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #17 on: Sunday, August 19, 2007, 08:18:25 AM »
I came back from the theater and I loved it.

Lots of little nitpicks, but it was massively entertaining.

Offline JacksRag(e)

Cools

« Reply #19 on: Thursday, August 23, 2007, 06:23:51 PM »
Like most, I liked the CGI. I was dissappointed by the actual movie though. I found the plot boring, the pacing and character introductions were poor and the whole thing felt extremely predictable. Action wise, sure it was enjoyable, but I still feel that this movie could've been a lot better. Let's just say that I don't really care much for a sequel at this point...

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #20 on: Sunday, September 30, 2007, 12:22:51 PM »