Author Topic: The Que-Sy Joint Marine Project  (Read 9983 times)

Offline sirean_syan

• Global Moderator
  • Post-aholic
The Que-Sy Joint Marine Project
« on: Tuesday, July 17, 2007, 01:38:52 AM »
We've made some mentions of it before in other threads, but it's starting to come together so I've decided to start a thread. Que and I have decided to team up and make a small Warhammer Space Marine army. We're still deciding on some things like an chapter (army) name and such, but we do know a few things like colors, possibly an army logo, and the central theme will be something along the lines of blacksmithing/weaponsmithing (the guys like to make their own weapons, the cool way).

We've got a handful of guys done thanks to the starter set and I just finish up my first little batch of Marines. So, I'll get things going by showing them off.

This was a lot of near firsts for me, mostly because I've never really painted an actual humanish face or tried to do much with text before. They're not perfect, but I'm really happy with how they came out. Marines are a lot of fun to paint. You can do a simple one fairly quickly and still come out looking cool, but if you want there's plenty of room for cool details if you want to spend a little extra time on one. It feels like I managed to get these out much quicker than my average group of Tyranids, which means we can churn this army out in no-time (months as opposed to years).

High(ish) resolution collage incoming!

Offline beo

• Veteran
Re: The Que-Sy Joint Marine Project
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday, July 17, 2007, 08:03:23 PM »
you've got drybrushing on power armour down - something most people cock up. gives them a really dark look - i like.

Offline sirean_syan

• Global Moderator
  • Post-aholic
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday, July 17, 2007, 08:43:13 PM »
We're sort of thinking of changing to something of a thin coat of red to achieve a similar color that does destroy a brush or use quite so much paint. It might actually be faster if we do it right. I used it on a couple parts to clean up things on these guys and you really can't tell the difference. Next project is probably a test to see if the idea works.

Offline beo

• Veteran
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday, July 17, 2007, 09:11:16 PM »
i've always found that getting a consistant colour when using thinned down paint is difficult. i always thin my paints, but painting over black with red to get good coverage will take a few coats. if you use just one coat of thinned colour, it may look a bit blotchy. not trying to dissuade you from using the technique if you've found it to work, just letting you know that you might run into difficulties if applying to an entire model.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday, July 17, 2007, 10:23:45 PM »
Guess I'll post what I showed Sy - my first attempt at painting up our Marine Commander dude that I semi-converted.  I'm really pleased so far.  Think it's easily the best armor shading job I've done.  It still looks really messy, and I don't think you can actually see the detail nearly enough in these pictures, but whatever.  I'll get Sy to take some more professional ones later I guess.  Anyway, here are these early shots just for fun.

Back
Front

天才的な閃きと平均以下のテクニックやな。 課長有野

Offline sirean_syan

• Global Moderator
  • Post-aholic
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday, July 17, 2007, 10:42:09 PM »
You guess? Be proud. I think he's shaping up very nicely.

But yeah, I kinda forgot about the blochiness problem. I can't imagine it being much worse timewise than drybrushing an entire guy to get the color we're going for, especially when it will come to bigger things. The hope is will be quicker than anything else.

Offline scottws

• Gold Member
    • Facebook Me
« Reply #6 on: Saturday, July 21, 2007, 09:50:02 PM »
Those are pretty awesome.  You guys have way more patience than I do.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #7 on: Sunday, September 30, 2007, 12:07:37 PM »
Okay, so here's a long overdue update on the status of the Commander dude.

Commander Stage 1
Stage 2
Stage 3
Stage 4

... and ...

Going to probably try to work out a few more details today.  Gotta' figure out what to do with his power fists, gotta' do some detail work, and gotta' figure out how the hell to do his banner without totally fucking it up.  I like the texture I've got on it, so I'm nervous about going from there.  Need to practice a bunch on something to work out the design and get the motions down.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #8 on: Sunday, October 07, 2007, 07:06:40 PM »
Here's stage 6!

Thanks to Sy for the picture (he used his lightbox).  He's coming along nicely, though I'm not 100% satisfied.  I've fucked up plenty of stuff and all... but I'm still learning.  I don't do this nearly as much as Sy, and for the amount that I paint, I feel like this guy is turning out pretty damned good.  Still need to figure out how the hell I'm going to freehand something for his banner, though.  I'm really afraid.

Offline beo

• Veteran
« Reply #9 on: Sunday, October 07, 2007, 09:28:48 PM »
looks good. if you get stuck for a logo, just a black imperial eagle silhouette might work. it would be well worth drawing a mock-up of whatever you go with first, since getting the identifiable details in with all that parchment is going to be tricky.

Offline sirean_syan

• Global Moderator
  • Post-aholic
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday, November 27, 2007, 10:32:40 PM »
Got some more Marines done over Thanksgiving. It's a pretty big picture, so I'm just going to link it. They're a heavy weapon squad, so they get to carry guns bigger than normal people.

The link.

Possibly more importantly, we came up with a logo. While we're not sure how it'll look on things like Que's banner, it does look pretty sweet on the shoulder pads. Here's a detail.

We also got a name, at least for now. Our chapter will be the Smoldering Angels. A little cheesy, but fun and no worse than a lot of the other chapter names out there. Plus, it goes nicely with the way the armor looks. Que and I have also mentioned about making them a successor chapter to the Blood Angels, but a full decision on that can come later.

Offline sirean_syan

• Global Moderator
  • Post-aholic
« Reply #11 on: Monday, December 10, 2007, 12:29:31 AM »
Got some more stuff done this weekend.

The link
Detail of the cockpit.

I'm not as happy with it as I was about five hours ago. It was great until I noticed a tiny scratch in the sealant on the front of the vehicle, just below the gold eagle. I tried to fix it and it just made things worse. I tried to fix it again, worse again. Repeat that about three times and I was left with a totally messed up front. So, I was forced to cover it up with some bits I had laying around. While those things turned out alright, I didn't want to put parchment on the very front because it's silly on a fast moving flying thing. Thankfully Warhammer goes out of its way to be showy like that (notice the book on the front) but I just wanted to avoid it in this particular case. Also there's some of the scratches still visible in between the paper things and I was able to hide most of it with about ten layers of sealent, but the surface still looks a bit uneven.

Outside of that stuff, I'm happy. This was the first vehicle-like thing I've ever done and I learned a far bit, coolest of which is filling in seems on large flat surfaces. I always wondered how that was done on things like model airplanes and tanks, and now I know.
« Last Edit: Monday, December 10, 2007, 01:30:33 AM by sirean_syan »

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #12 on: Monday, December 10, 2007, 01:03:19 AM »
Note also that this is no longer the Que-Sy Joint Marine Project but Sy's Other Warhammer Project That Que Can't Keep Up With.

Looks great, though.  I can't tell without a detail of the front, but it doesn't look bad in the current photo.

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #13 on: Monday, December 10, 2007, 01:09:03 AM »
Wow Sirean. That's just great work.

Offline Ghandi

• HAMS
« Reply #14 on: Monday, December 10, 2007, 01:35:22 AM »
Sexy.

Nice detail in the cockpit.

Offline sirean_syan

• Global Moderator
  • Post-aholic
« Reply #15 on: Sunday, April 13, 2008, 04:48:16 PM »
I managed to get some more of the army done in the past couple weeks. These are a group of scouts, the low Marines on the totem pole.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #16 on: Sunday, April 13, 2008, 04:52:34 PM »
Nice job on the faces.  You're getting really quite good at this.  The packs and stuff turned out nice, too.  What did you end up using for those?

Offline sirean_syan

• Global Moderator
  • Post-aholic
« Reply #17 on: Sunday, April 13, 2008, 05:11:01 PM »
I ended up going with a scorched brown undercoat and, covered that mostly with that darker brown foundation paint (the ones with the white tops), , and then painting the edges with the lighter foundation brown.

Offline beo

• Veteran
« Reply #18 on: Sunday, April 13, 2008, 05:24:22 PM »
nice work! you're far too good at this considering how long you've been doing it.

Offline sirean_syan

• Global Moderator
  • Post-aholic
« Reply #19 on: Monday, September 22, 2008, 07:05:18 PM »
So, the project is sorta expanding even if it isn't moving all that fast. A couple weeks back Que and I picked up the new starter set, mostly because it had a lot of stuff we would use with the existing Space Marine army. This also means we got a hefty bit of Orks to do. Last night I finished up a test model and I think we have a winner out of the gate. I wanted to do something fun with the Orks and maybe even a little garish. The results made me happy.

Also, a few weeks ago I finally got a complete working scheme for the Marines. I was never very happy with the left shoulder pad and how the secondary logos looked. I did some experimenting with making my own water transfers (fancy stickers for models) to use as templates to paint a design on. They were mostly a way to give me a line to paint on so I could paint a straight line without a lot of effort. So there you have it. This should be the last change to our Marines and the look is now finalized.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #20 on: Monday, September 22, 2008, 07:41:34 PM »
Damn, those are great looking.  I love how the ork turned out.  The eye patch is the best thing ever.

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #21 on: Monday, September 22, 2008, 08:27:35 PM »
haha, I love the ork.

Offline sirean_syan

• Global Moderator
  • Post-aholic
« Reply #22 on: Thursday, October 09, 2008, 08:19:39 PM »
We've got us a waaagh! (well, it's a start)

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #23 on: Thursday, October 09, 2008, 08:35:34 PM »
Your obsession is inspiring.  Nice work on the swords in particular, and I really like the guy on the bottom that's second from the left.  Did you use a wash for the skin?  Just curious, since that seems to be a popular method.  It looks good either way.

Offline sirean_syan

• Global Moderator
  • Post-aholic
« Reply #24 on: Thursday, October 09, 2008, 10:18:12 PM »
I think I used a wash on pretty much every surface save for the black leather stuff because it generally looks better than my layering on its own and is much faster. After a wash though, I did some sort of highlighting over it however to brighten things up.