Author Topic: "What Movies Have You Seen Lately?" Thread  (Read 199041 times)

Offline nickclone

• Veteran
Re: "What Movies Have You Seen Lately?" Thread
« Reply #200 on: Wednesday, February 27, 2008, 11:51:48 PM »
Hell, I didn't give a rat's ass about The Beatles when I saw this flick and I still don't. I would be a liar though if I said the music wasn't amazing and completely shot the movie out of a vibrant stream of entertainment and curiosity of what would happen next.

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #201 on: Friday, February 29, 2008, 10:28:33 PM »
Simpsons Movie: So....what part was I supposed to find funny?

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #202 on: Friday, February 29, 2008, 10:43:22 PM »
Spider Pig.  That was it.

天才的な閃きと平均以下のテクニックやな。 課長有野

Offline JacksRag(e)

« Reply #203 on: Saturday, March 01, 2008, 02:33:24 AM »
Saw Semi-Pro tonight.  I thoroughly enjoyed it.  There's a trend in his movies, but I find the irreverence completely amusing.

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #204 on: Saturday, March 01, 2008, 04:37:11 PM »
Michael Clayton took a while for me to get into, but it did end up grabbing my full attention.  Clooney does a fine job in a role where he is struggling to make sense of why everything is unraveling around him.  I liked the reluctant villain as well.  Good flick.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
  • OWNet 4 Eternity & Beyond
« Reply #205 on: Saturday, March 01, 2008, 06:06:11 PM »
30 Days of Night -- Somehow and shockingly, this vampire movie turned out good...

Offline nickclone

• Veteran
« Reply #206 on: Saturday, March 01, 2008, 06:49:57 PM »
There Will Be Blood - I wanted to see this movie for a long time, I was let down last night. Daniel Day Lewis is an amazing actor, but it felt like this movie was only made to showcase his skills and win awards. At the end of the movie I couldn't help but think "what the hell was the point for this movie?". I wanted to like this movie, but I gotta say that it was overrated.

The Covenant - This movie could've been good, the story was actually kinda interesting and had a good setup. However, the acting is just so bad that I had to get up and leave the room many times. Add to the fact that the dialog is side split tingly bad...the movie is just bad.

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #207 on: Sunday, March 02, 2008, 12:46:32 AM »
300.  I couldn't look away.  Very slick.

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #208 on: Sunday, March 02, 2008, 02:07:11 AM »
I like how all the Persians were all deformed homosexual looking sadistic warriors, while the Spartans were the exact opposite.

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #209 on: Sunday, March 02, 2008, 02:35:27 AM »
I like how all the Persians were all deformed homosexual looking sadistic warriors, while the Spartans were the exact opposite.
All but the sexy Persian concubines!

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #210 on: Sunday, March 02, 2008, 03:46:51 AM »

I did notice, and I wondered how you would feel about it.  Seriously.  The movie is mostly style, comic book through and through.  Definitely one-sided.

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #211 on: Sunday, March 02, 2008, 04:23:25 AM »
Well I am not Persian. :P

I am a massive Frank Miller fan. I love his work on Batman, Sin City etc. I also had and treasured the 300 books well before the movie.For some reason I found none of it odd in the graphic novels, yet found it weird in the movie.

At a time when I hadn't seen the movie yet, but had read the book, I saw how so many people were upset at the depiction of Persians in the movie, and was thinking,"Man these people are freakin' stupid. Who cares?"

But then I watched the movie and it just felt a bit strange. It obviously wasn't them being racist, but just a case of an artistic license that was used to show some great imagination.

Also most people from Iran (Persians) aren't black, or even brown. Most are about as light skinned as some Caucasians. So yea it did sorta feel like they basically took a far away Middle Eastern land, and then went nuts.

And Lena Headly is just super hot:

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #212 on: Sunday, March 02, 2008, 05:34:24 AM »
Lena Headey rocks! wooooot!

I think she's the main reason I'm still keeping up with "Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles."

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #213 on: Sunday, March 02, 2008, 06:33:52 AM »
Hotel Chevalier / Darjeeling Limited -- Liked the short flick (Hotel) and really liked the longer piece (Darjeeling). I think Darjeeling is so far the best Wes Anderson flick I've seen yet; keep in mind, I still ain't seen Rushmore.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #214 on: Sunday, March 02, 2008, 11:03:57 AM »
I liked 300 okay, but it just wasn't as good as the book.  The book was so simple and heroic and beautiful despite some of the over the top elements, and the movie just tried way too hard to be an action epic.  It was a fun movie, but it lost everything that made 300 so special, I think.  The book, with all its odd little ways, was emotional and inspiring.  The movie was neither (though I think several of the actors did a great job, Leonidas in particular).

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #215 on: Sunday, March 02, 2008, 11:32:03 AM »
I liked 300 okay, but it just wasn't as good as the book.  The book was so simple and heroic and beautiful despite some of the over the top elements, and the movie just tried way too hard to be an action epic.  It was a fun movie, but it lost everything that made 300 so special, I think.  The book, with all its odd little ways, was emotional and inspiring.  The movie was neither (though I think several of the actors did a great job, Leonidas in particular).

Two thumbs up!

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #216 on: Sunday, March 02, 2008, 03:58:32 PM »
I have yet to read the graphic novel.  I do have, er, it.   :-[  Have had it since the movie came out, but never did read it.  Now I want to.  I thought the movie was excellent as a painting in motion.  Every scene is painstakingly set-up, lighted, executed, and then intensely post-processed.  Many snapshots of the film would work in a canvas on a wall.

Pug, I knew you weren't Persian.  I did think, though, that you would be closer to the Persian point of view than the classical Greek.  Am I wrong?  I also do know what Iranians look like.  My father's partner was Iranian.  I was friends with several of his children, and almost dated his oldest daughter.  We liked each other enough for that anyway, but it never happened.

Edit:  OK, now I have read the graphic novel.  The movie is surprisingly faithful.  The novel serves as the storyboard, except it seems for some tacked-on drama involving an ambitious Athenian traitor and the stoic Spartan queen.  The look of the movie is mostly straight out of the book as well.  The novel does give the Persians an air of evil which reflects in their outward appearance, though it does not go to the horrid extent the movie carries it.  In all, I'm more impressed with the movie now than before.
« Last Edit: Sunday, March 02, 2008, 06:01:21 PM by Cobra951 »

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #217 on: Sunday, March 02, 2008, 06:28:59 PM »
It's funny, I see very little comparison between the book and movie at all.  I mean, they were faithful in many regards, but I thought very little in overall tone.  Sin City captured it's subject material perfectly, and I was hoping 300 would do the same, but I didn't quite feel it.  I still liked the movie a lot, though, especially seeing it on the IMAX screen with Julia, Sy, and Aimee.  That was something.

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #218 on: Wednesday, March 05, 2008, 11:20:12 PM »
National Treasure: not as horrible as I anticipated. I'm a sucker for "adventure" movies so I had to rent it. Its very far fetched, obviously, but still fun to watch. I love riddles and clues and hidden treasure, so it was a good time.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #219 on: Thursday, March 06, 2008, 12:06:03 AM »
I thought that movie would be the worst thing ever, but I caught it on TV one night and was pleasantly surprised.  Not an amazing movie really, but it was actually quite enjoyable.  Fun stuff.

Offline JacksRag(e)

« Reply #220 on: Thursday, March 06, 2008, 12:40:12 AM »
Tampopo....it's a bunch of little stories thrown together, but the main one is about a women trying to become a great ramen cook.  I really want ramen now.

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #221 on: Thursday, March 06, 2008, 07:58:10 PM »
Being John Malkovich (1999).  Sounding like a broken record after my "Bully" thread:  How did I miss this?  It was on one of the Sat TV movie channels, and I caught it about a half hour in.  I'll have to see it from the beginning.  Strange premise, absolutely original.  Nicely done, nicely acted.  Some plot points were too forced.  I wonder, if Malkovich hadn't gone along with it, would it be called something like Being Charlie Sheen?  Doesn't have the same ring to it.

I also had the misfortune of watching Jumper at the theater.  Luckily, it wasn't my dime.  Terrific premise botched all to hell.

Offline nickclone

• Veteran
« Reply #222 on: Thursday, March 06, 2008, 08:41:01 PM »
Being John Malkovich (1999).  Sounding like a broken record after my "Bully" thread:  How did I miss this?  It was on one of the Sat TV movie channels, and I caught it about a half hour in.  I'll have to see it from the beginning.  Strange premise, absolutely original.  Nicely done, nicely acted.  Some plot points were too forced.  I wonder, if Malkovich hadn't gone along with it, would it be called something like Being Charlie Sheen?  Doesn't have the same ring to it.

I also had the misfortune of watching Jumper at the theater.  Luckily, it wasn't my dime.  Terrific premise botched all to hell.

Being John Malkovich is an amazing movie, but it was better when Malkovich wasn't more of a household name. I'm not sure what you missed exactly from the first thirty minutes of edited cable tv, but its mostly character development. If anyone reading this hasn't seen this movie, you should.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #223 on: Thursday, March 06, 2008, 09:02:54 PM »
That's a movie I wanted to love but merely liked.  It's got some great stuff, and there are some amazing moments (very well acted, for sure), but somehow it just felt like it could have used an extra dose of one thing or another.  But yeah, pretty crazy stuff, most definitely worth watching.  We have it on DVD somewhere.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #224 on: Saturday, March 08, 2008, 11:45:23 AM »
We Own the Night -- A pretty good, very gripping cop/mob drama movie. Hell of a cast in this film, to say the least.

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #225 on: Wednesday, March 12, 2008, 05:25:37 AM »
I watched Sleuth. Fuckin' weird movie.

I also just started watching Firefly (about time!!). That's an awesome show!!

Offline Antares

• Veteran
« Reply #226 on: Thursday, March 13, 2008, 09:43:15 PM »
Oh how you've been missing out, Xessive!

I just got back from watching 10,000 BC.  I thought about starting a new thread, but in a way I dont feel like the movie was a big enough deal to warrant its own... ha.

Anyway, I'm a sucker for this kind of movie for the most part, and I was really enjoying watching the movie thinking it was a fairly typical hero epic type film that actually had a somewhat unique setting right up until...

(click to show/hide)

... immediately afterward the movie was decent again.

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #227 on: Saturday, March 15, 2008, 08:20:34 AM »
Oh how you've been missing out, Xessive!

I just got back from watching 10,000 BC.  I thought about starting a new thread, but in a way I dont feel like the movie was a big enough deal to warrant its own... ha.

Anyway, I'm a sucker for this kind of movie for the most part, and I was really enjoying watching the movie thinking it was a fairly typical hero epic type film that actually had a somewhat unique setting right up until...

(click to show/hide)

... immediately afterward the movie was decent again.
I really did miss out!! I am so glad I watched Firefly! I watched Serenity again right after completing the series and it makes more sense but it so much sadder.

I'm looking forward to 10,000 BC!

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #228 on: Friday, March 21, 2008, 04:54:36 PM »
I just watched Atonement.
Loved it.

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #229 on: Friday, March 21, 2008, 11:03:24 PM »
Atonement was alright. I wish I watched it with a chick though. Would have earned some good points.

Here's my most recent list:

Awake: Stupid movie. I really tried to enjoy it (plus Jessica Alba was in it). It just didn't grasp me.
(click to show/hide)

Love in the Time of Cholera: Cool movie. It could be a wonderful love story or a depressing tale of obsession. It's up to your perspective :)

Wristcutters - A Love Story: Great movie with a very unique story and setting.

Cleaner: Not bad. It was great to Sam Jackson in such a diverse role. Plus he doesn't yell much in this one :P

The Mist: So far my favourite Stephen King movie adaptation. Mainly because this one actually has monsters.

The Deaths of Ian Stone: This movie took me by surprise! I wasn't sure what to expect but I really enjoyed it.

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #230 on: Saturday, March 22, 2008, 06:15:52 PM »
The Mist could have been awesome.  It had the potential.  I haven't read the Stephen King novella, and I guess now I need to, in order to see who gets the blame for the religious-zealot crap that totally ruined it for me.  If King penned it, then I can forgive the scriptwriters and director.

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #231 on: Saturday, March 22, 2008, 10:48:03 PM »
The Mist could have been awesome.  It had the potential.  I haven't read the Stephen King novella, and I guess now I need to, in order to see who gets the blame for the religious-zealot crap that totally ruined it for me.  If King penned it, then I can forgive the scriptwriters and director.
Yeah the religious overtones were getting really frustrating. I got that feeling from most of King's work though. He always involves it, even if in a single character.

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #232 on: Sunday, March 23, 2008, 01:27:42 AM »
Pug, I knew you weren't Persian.  I did think, though, that you would be closer to the Persian point of view than the classical Greek.  Am I wrong?  I also do know what Iranians look like.  My father's partner was Iranian.  I was friends with several of his children, and almost dated his oldest daughter.  We liked each other enough for that anyway, but it never happened.

Whoops. I missed this. No of course you weren't. I was just joking.

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #233 on: Sunday, March 23, 2008, 05:59:58 AM »
Yeah the religious overtones were getting really frustrating. I got that feeling from most of King's work though. He always involves it, even if in a single character.

Yes, Mrs Carmody is a centerpiece of human interaction in the novella as well.  In the book, it works better, because causality is better detailed.  But in the end, it is still way too flawed.  Clearly, there are many mindless wackos in the world.  They don't spring literally overnight out of well-adjusted people simply because they go through a lot of stress.  It takes a lifetime of brutal circumstance and evil intent to create and mold them.

Edit:  Oh, but the stupid ending was strictly the doing of the film makers.  Assholes. 

(click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: Sunday, March 23, 2008, 06:25:56 AM by Cobra951 »

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #234 on: Sunday, March 23, 2008, 11:01:17 AM »
Yes, Mrs Carmody is a centerpiece of human interaction in the novella as well.  In the book, it works better, because causality is better detailed.  But in the end, it is still way too flawed.  Clearly, there are many mindless wackos in the world.  They don't spring literally overnight out of well-adjusted people simply because they go through a lot of stress.  It takes a lifetime of brutal circumstance and evil intent to create and mold them.

Edit:  Oh, but the stupid ending was strictly the doing of the film makers.  Assholes. 

(click to show/hide)
Man, what a shame! A miserable shame!
(click to show/hide)

Offline PyroMenace

« Reply #235 on: Friday, April 11, 2008, 03:38:03 AM »
I watched Gone Baby Gone. I kept hearing it was really good, but I had the suspicion it was something like Mystic River, over-dramatic and over-rated. I was wrong, Ben Afleck's shot behind the director chair turns out to be a success. A really good story with some really interesting twists, it even makes you really think at the end. Its even filmed very well, I was really impressed.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #236 on: Monday, April 21, 2008, 05:32:48 PM »
Juno was very good -- and very funny, I might add.

Before The Devil Knows You're Dead was also very good.

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #237 on: Tuesday, April 07, 2009, 07:36:03 PM »
I watched The Spirit. It was weird, to say the least, and it's pretty clear that it's a movie they decided to make following the success of Sin City. Sadly, this one is not quite up to par. Honestly, if they wanted to adapt a Frank Miller work so badly they would have had better success with a new RoboCop flick.

I've also watched:

Choke: Not bad, interesting film. Had some funny moments.
Twilight: Utter shite. You might enjo it if you're a 16 yr old chick though.
Role Models: Not bad, had some hilarious moments.

And here are some oldies:

The Rocketeer: That brought back some early 90's memories.
The Party: Rest in peace Peter Sellers. That was a great trip down memory lane.

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #238 on: Tuesday, April 07, 2009, 07:49:35 PM »
I watched The Spirit. It was weird, to say the least, and it's pretty clear that it's a movie they decided to make following the success of Sin City. Sadly, this one is not quite up to par. Honestly, if they wanted to adapt a Frank Miller work so badly they would have had better success with a new RoboCop flick.

I've also watched:

Choke: Not bad, interesting film. Had some funny moments.
Twilight: Utter shite. You might enjo it if you're a 16 yr old chick though.
Role Models: Not bad, had some hilarious moments.

And here are some oldies:

The Rocketeer: That brought back some early 90's memories.
The Party: Rest in peace Peter Sellers. That was a great trip down memory lane.

Nice resurrection.  Well done, sir!

The Spirit was just strange.  I think it would have worked better with Bruce Campbell.  It so wanted to be a parody of itself.

Twilight wasn't *that* bad.   :-\

Yes, The Rocketeer always brings back early 90s' memories . . . of Jennifer Connelly when she was hotter than a firecracker.  (What did that girl do to herself since?)

The Party is a dangerous movie.  I laugh so hard I may not survive it at my age.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #239 on: Tuesday, April 07, 2009, 08:04:25 PM »
Ah, Jennifer Connelly.  What's she done to herself?  I haven't seen her in anything in ages.  What a cutie, though.

A shame about The Spirit.  It looked like it could have been fun.