Author Topic: "What Movies Have You Seen Lately?" Thread  (Read 199060 times)

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
Re: "What Movies Have You Seen Lately?" Thread
« Reply #240 on: Wednesday, April 08, 2009, 05:36:33 AM »
Nice resurrection.  Well done, sir!
Heh thanks, if I had waited another couple of weeks it would have been exactly one year :P

The Spirit was just strange.  I think it would have worked better with Bruce Campbell.  It so wanted to be a parody of itself.
That's exactly what it needed! It never occured to me, but when you mentioned Bruce Campbell it made perfect sense! He fits right into place!

Jennifer Connelly is still pretty, though she was HOT in The Rocketeer. The last thing I recall seeing her in was The Hulk (the Eric Bana one) a couple of years ago, and A Beautiful Mind a few years before that. She's a talented actress, I wonder why we're not seeing her much.

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #241 on: Wednesday, April 08, 2009, 12:54:39 PM »
Connelly is still pretty, but she seems to have worked hard on shedding a lot of her sex appeal.  My feeling is that she wanted to be considered a serious actress, and I guess tilting the peter meter is anathema to that.  So now she's another bony twig like the rest of her peers.

Before: Career Opportunities

After: Day the Earth Stood Still interview

Offline beo

• Veteran
« Reply #242 on: Wednesday, April 08, 2009, 01:48:38 PM »
where the fuck did her tits go?

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #243 on: Wednesday, April 08, 2009, 01:57:35 PM »
Operating room floor, I suppose.

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #244 on: Wednesday, April 08, 2009, 03:21:29 PM »
Why would she have breast reduction?

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #245 on: Wednesday, April 08, 2009, 04:06:37 PM »
See (my) post #241, basically.  My best friend's wife was quite, er, ample herself, and she still looks good.  But she too thought her boobs were an impediment to being taken seriously, so she reduced them (though not drastically).  I think it's a feminist thing.

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #246 on: Wednesday, April 08, 2009, 04:14:18 PM »
I had a friend in Canada who actually needed breast reduction surgery. They were too much baggage, the poor girl was having back problems among other posture issues. Believe they were.. wow.. but the cons heavily outweighed the pros.

Another angle we have to consider is that they might look good now but 20 years down the road they might be tickling the tips of her toes. Breast reduction does have its advantages.

It's really a matter of balance, ideally I'd vote for the natural way and just preserve the treasures. I would also have to refer you to this.

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #247 on: Wednesday, April 08, 2009, 04:26:53 PM »
Hahaha!  Itty bitty titty committee.  That was great.

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #248 on: Wednesday, April 08, 2009, 04:28:41 PM »
See (my) post #241, basically.  My best friend's wife was quite, er, ample herself, and she still looks good.  But she too thought her boobs were an impediment to being taken seriously, so she reduced them (though not drastically).  I think it's a feminist thing.

Yea, but Connolly was an actress... I think that sort of thing probably helps her in her line of work. It wasn't like they were gigantic.

I guess she started in a different time than the actresses now.

but the cons heavily outweighed the pros.

heh.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #249 on: Wednesday, April 08, 2009, 05:12:35 PM »
Yeah, I had a coworker that needed it.  Personally, I think they're just sort of disgusting when they're that big.  Doesn't do anything for me. And for me, when I think an actress is hot, it's usually more of a facial thing, not so much body.  Bodies are a dime a dozen, but a truly beautiful and unique-looking woman is much harder to come by.

天才的な閃きと平均以下のテクニックやな。 課長有野

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #250 on: Wednesday, April 08, 2009, 05:23:06 PM »
Yeah, I had a coworker that needed it.  Personally, I think they're just sort of disgusting when they're that big.  Doesn't do anything for me. And for me, when I think an actress is hot, it's usually more of a facial thing, not so much body.  Bodies are a dime a dozen, but a truly beautiful and unique-looking woman is much harder to come by.
Very true.

I think Jaime Murray (she played Stacey in Hustle and Lila in Dexter) is gorgeous. She has a unique look to her; I can't really say I've seen anyone that resembles her. She got an alright body but it's her face and overall appeal that takes the cake.

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #251 on: Wednesday, April 08, 2009, 06:05:34 PM »
I initially thought she was attractive, but after watching her in Dexter, I just find her...hmmm... slithery...

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #252 on: Wednesday, April 08, 2009, 07:35:31 PM »
Having not seen the show, I have no idea what you mean, but putting Jennifer Connelly and slithery together just sounds... sexy.

天才的な閃きと平均以下のテクニックやな。 課長有野

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #253 on: Wednesday, April 08, 2009, 07:49:04 PM »
I initially thought she was attractive, but after watching her in Dexter, I just find her...hmmm... slithery...
Haha yeah man she was devious in Dexter!

I'm watching Hustle these days since I haven't seen seasons 4 and 5 yet, and that show really glorifies her! Plus she has disguises which add to her portfolio of sexy looks.

Jennifer Connelly, to me, has a very authentic "Wonder Woman" look and feel about her. I'm not talking about the costume, rather her demeanor and even facial characteristics could match.

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #254 on: Thursday, April 09, 2009, 05:15:00 AM »
Having not seen the show, I have no idea what you mean, but putting Jennifer Connelly and slithery together just sounds... sexy.

Jaime Murray.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
  • OWNet 4 Eternity & Beyond
« Reply #255 on: Wednesday, April 15, 2009, 08:28:45 PM »
I watched The Spirit. It was weird, to say the least, and it's pretty clear that it's a movie they decided to make following the success of Sin City. Sadly, this one is not quite up to par. Honestly, if they wanted to adapt a Frank Miller work so badly they would have had better success with a new RoboCop flick.

I really...don't know what to make of this movie. It was so hit and miss, at times.

Maybe all it really needed is to be shortened a bit, to trim some of the unnecessary fat off it. Some of it was really good, yet some of it....not so much. It was really all over the place, in actual terms of story and actual pacing.

The visuals were great, though -- as just looking through every damn frame was just amazing to look at.

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #256 on: Saturday, May 16, 2009, 01:30:43 AM »
I've been on a bit of an animation craze lately. Watching new animated movies and pulling out some old stuff from the storage shelves. Yesterday I re-watched Batman Beyond: Retun of the Joker, which is still one of my favourite animated features. Batman Beyond was awesome.

I have to thank Pug for the DVD he gifted to me a long time ago! :D Still in tip-top condition ;D

Also watched Hulk vs. Wolverine which I really enjoyed! I may have mentioned that in a much earlier post.

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #257 on: Saturday, May 16, 2009, 10:25:32 PM »
When I think of animated Batman, I always think of Mask of the Phantasm, also with Mark Hamill voicing the Joker.  Mi casa nostra es su casa nostra.  My brothers took me to see this at the theater in order to get me out of the house while the rest of my friends and family conspired to set up a surprise 40th birthday party.  That line had us laughing for days.

I watched Defiance a couple nights ago, with Daniel Craig.  I found that one very worthwhile, whether historically accurate or not.  Passengers, on the other hand, was so-so.  Anne Hathaway is lovely in it.

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #258 on: Sunday, May 17, 2009, 01:10:16 AM »
When I think of animated Batman, I always think of Mask of the Phantasm, also with Mark Hamill voicing the Joker.  Mi casa nostra es su casa nostra.  My brothers took me to see this at the theater in order to get me out of the house while the rest of my friends and family conspired to set up a surprise 40th birthday party.  That line had us laughing for days.
Mask of the Phantasm is one of the best ones! Mark Hamill is the perfect Joker voice. I'm so glad they got him for the upcoming Arkham Asylum game, as well as Kevin Conroy to reprise the role of Batman.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #259 on: Sunday, May 17, 2009, 07:34:56 AM »
Underworld: Rise Of The Lycans
Surprise, surprise! I wound up liking this prequel quite a bit. Good storytelling, good acting, and excellent action. It was way better than expected -- especially since there's no Selene (Kate Beckinsale), since this takes place in earlier medieval times and all. Maybe that's really what this series needed -- some new characters, different time setting, and whatnot. It felt fresher and all, being a prequel -- since it was not a sequel with more of the same-same -- Evolution was nowhere as good as the original Underworld, but Rise is the best one since the original.

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #260 on: Sunday, May 17, 2009, 09:28:21 AM »
Oh yeah.  I forgot that I watched that too.  Very entertaining.

I remember being really surprised the Hamill did the Joker voice.  He did a great job, and the good writing didn't hurt either.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #261 on: Sunday, May 17, 2009, 03:16:52 PM »
Nothing But The Truth
Wow...What a movie. Really good stuff, the whole way through. Gripping and strong stuff here. Very good acting, too. The ending was just....wow...

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #262 on: Sunday, May 17, 2009, 08:40:42 PM »
Thanks for telling me about it.  It was gripping.  My problem with it is that I had little sympathy for her.

(click to show/hide)

I doubt that's not how the story is supposed to make me feel.  Does the writer really think we all have such contempt for these institutions that we would welcome this kind of harm to them?

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #263 on: Monday, May 18, 2009, 03:56:14 PM »
Nothing But The Truth - SPOILERS
(click to show/hide)

Regardless, the movie was really good, I thought.

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #264 on: Monday, May 18, 2009, 04:11:00 PM »
Right-wing loon, not unexpectedly given the slant of the story.

(click to show/hide)

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #265 on: Monday, May 18, 2009, 04:24:07 PM »
Nothing But The Truth - SPOILERS

Right-wing loon, not unexpectedly given the slant of the story.

(click to show/hide)

(click to show/hide)

This movie is inspired and based off a true story, actually.

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #266 on: Monday, May 18, 2009, 04:37:42 PM »
Wait a minute.

(click to show/hide)

Oh, and from the blurb at the beginning, the movie is "inspired" by a true story, but it's fictional, not depicting any real people or events.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #267 on: Monday, May 18, 2009, 05:04:31 PM »
(click to show/hide)

Oh, and from the blurb at the beginning, the movie is "inspired" by a true story, but it's fictional, not depicting any real people or events.

I didn't watch the extras on the DVD and all, but according to Wikipedia, this film is "inspired" by the story of this lady and this guy.

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #268 on: Monday, May 18, 2009, 05:36:47 PM »
Oh yeah.  I figured that's what it was based on.  I remember all that real well.  It's recent history, and fairly dramatic.

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #269 on: Friday, May 22, 2009, 02:13:46 AM »
Not sure if this deserved its own thread but here goes:

Lesbian Vampire Killers

It exists!!

Offline scottws

• Gold Member
    • Facebook Me
« Reply #270 on: Friday, May 22, 2009, 07:01:00 PM »
Saw Star Trek two weeks ago.  It was pretty awesome.  I'm no Trekkie, but that was a fun movie!

I really want to see Angels & Demons.  I liked both it and The Da Vinci Code in book form, with A&D easily being my favorite of the two.  TDVC in movie form sucked bad, but I'm hoping that A&D comes out better.

I'm also hoping to see Terminator: Salvation soon.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #271 on: Saturday, May 23, 2009, 06:07:44 PM »
Just saw Vinyan on DVD w/ Emmaneulle Beart and Rufus Sewell.
Anyone seen this yet?

One heck of a drama-horror movie.
Awesome cinematography.

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #272 on: Monday, May 25, 2009, 05:38:22 AM »
Just watched Coraline. It was pretty cool. It felt like a cross between Tim Burton and Hayao Miyazaki. If you're into whimsical animation or claymation I recommend it.

Offline wizall

« Reply #273 on: Thursday, May 28, 2009, 01:26:34 PM »
I've been watching a crazy amount of movies lately. Almost too many to list. If anyone would like to add me to their netflix network, feel free: wizall@hotmail.com

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #274 on: Thursday, May 28, 2009, 08:34:04 PM »
Just watched Coraline. It was pretty cool. It felt like a cross between Tim Burton and Hayao Miyazaki. If you're into whimsical animation or claymation I recommend it.

I had been meaning to watch this and your comment motivated me to track it down.  Very cool.  It was very Tim Burton-ish to be sure.  Now I wonder who Hayao Miyazaki is.

Offline scottws

• Gold Member
    • Facebook Me
« Reply #275 on: Thursday, May 28, 2009, 10:13:30 PM »
I had been meaning to watch this and your comment motivated me to track it down.  Very cool.  It was very Tim Burton-ish to be sure.
I'm not sure why exactly, but I really hate Tim Burton.  I think it has something to do with Edward Scissorhands and Batman Returns.  I just am not on the same page as him at all.

Now I wonder who Hayao Miyazaki is.
He did Princess Mononoke and Spirited Away, which are two lauded anime movies.  He did others two, but these are always the ones I hear about.

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #276 on: Friday, May 29, 2009, 02:28:20 AM »
Coraline especially reminded me of Spirited Away (a.k.a. Sen To No Chihiro).

Scott, how did you feel about Burton's animated features i.e. The Nightmare Before Christmas or Corpse Bride?

Just watched Terminator: Salvation. From the action perspective it was satisfying. From a more cerebral view it raised a lot of questions and doubts. A lot of plot holes. It didn't really do much for most of the characters it introduced.

There's one thing I never really understood about the almighty killing machines. Now, just to be clear, they are supposed to be the ultimate killing machines, right? Why the F do they throw their targets around rather than just snap their necks right there when they actually manage to physically catch them?!! Target identified: John Connor.. Objective: Hurl repeatedly.

Offline scottws

• Gold Member
    • Facebook Me
« Reply #277 on: Friday, May 29, 2009, 05:00:41 AM »
Coraline especially reminded me of Spirited Away (a.k.a. Sen To No Chihiro).

Scott, how did you feel about Burton's animated features i.e. The Nightmare Before Christmas or Corpse Bride?
I never watched them.  See aforementioned statement that I hate Tim Burton.

Just watched Terminator: Salvation. From the action perspective it was satisfying. From a more cerebral view it raised a lot of questions and doubts. A lot of plot holes. It didn't really do much for most of the characters it introduced.

There's one thing I never really understood about the almighty killing machines. Now, just to be clear, they are supposed to be the ultimate killing machines, right? Why the F do they throw their targets around rather than just snap their necks right there when they actually manage to physically catch them?!! Target identified: John Connor.. Objective: Hurl repeatedly.
If I said this in my circle of friends, one in particular would say "You are trying to inject logic into a Hollywood movie.  There are killer robots and people with metal skeletons and servos and implanted CPUs in a universe where time travel happens and you are willing to accept that but you have a major problem accepting how they fight?"  I know what you are getting at, but sometimes he has a point.  It's all fantasy in the end.

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #278 on: Friday, May 29, 2009, 05:58:40 AM »
If I said this in my circle of friends, one in particular would say "You are trying to inject logic into a Hollywood movie.  There are killer robots and people with metal skeletons and servos and implanted CPUs in a universe where time travel happens and you are willing to accept that but you have a major problem accepting how they fight?"  I know what you are getting at, but sometimes he has a point.  It's all fantasy in the end.
Haha yeah I know. That's why I still managed to enjoy it though ;D

Generally speaking, I like it when fiction is plausible within its own definition of logical possibility and probability. Fiction sets out to create a universe and its rules then immerses you in it, but failure for me comes when it breaks that immersion by resorting to something that doesn't fit in the context of that universe. Y'know what I mean? It's all imagination in the end anyway.

Here's a game example: in Doom 3, the idea was that the UAC had developed technology so far due to the lack of moral restrictions, they can make reusable energy from rust and waste, all that technological advancement yet no one thought to duct-tape a flashlight to a frickin' gun!!

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #279 on: Friday, May 29, 2009, 01:13:59 PM »
There's nothing wrong with criticizing a sci-fi film when things aren't believable.  My college degree is in English.  Something I remember learning in class is that when you write a fantasy or sci-fi story, only the fantastic elements can step out of the bounds of reality.  Absolutely everything else still needs to make sense, adhere to what's plausible.  The reader will not be able to suspend disbelief about the make-believe premise if the rest of the story could never happen in the real world.

I have seen both Princess Mononoke and Spirited Away.  I needed to pay more attention to the credits.  Great films.

I would not dismiss Tim Burton entirely based on Edward Scissorhands and his Batman work.  I like his animated films much better.  I also really liked Beetlejuice and even Mars Attacks!  (That last film requires 4 decades of perspective to appreciate, which is probably why it got panned.)  Sleepy Hollow was OK too.  He has this unique morbid humor.  I couldn't take him every day, but he is one of a kind.