Author Topic: "What Movies Have You Seen Lately?" Thread  (Read 199039 times)

Offline W7RE

• Post-aholic
Re: "What Movies Have You Seen Lately?" Thread
« Reply #320 on: Saturday, April 03, 2010, 11:51:58 AM »
I don't know, I still liked the movie, it just felt like the ending was rushed and poorly written. I could tell I was supposed to feel one thing, but felt another. MrD actually didn't make that complaint, so maybe you won't agree with me either.

Offline iPPi

• Roar!
« Reply #321 on: Saturday, April 03, 2010, 11:58:35 AM »
Yea the ending to Law Abiding Citizen was pretty bad and was kind of illogical as well.

Anyway, I saw The Blind Side and Sherlock Holmes.  The Blind Side was a great movie... Sherlock Holmes not so much.

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #322 on: Saturday, April 03, 2010, 01:03:45 PM »
I liked both of those.  Sherlock Holmes is just for fun, and I thought it succeeded at that.  I have to say, though, that Sandra Bullock's performance (The Blind Side) was nowhere near as deserving of an Oscar as Meryl Streep's (Julie and Julia).

Offline PyroMenace

« Reply #323 on: Monday, April 05, 2010, 12:12:28 AM »
I saw the Clash of the Titans remake, don't see it, its bad. It all feels extremely rushed and disjointed. Big letdown, it made me want to watch the original again. I also have GoW3 to turn to at least.

Offline scottws

• Gold Member
    • Facebook Me
« Reply #324 on: Monday, April 05, 2010, 07:46:08 AM »
I saw A Perfect Getaway last night.  It was horrid through and through.  I can't think of a redeeming quality about it.  Acting?  Sucks.  Directing?  Sucks.  Cinematography?  Sucks.  Story?  Sucks.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
  • OWNet 4 Eternity & Beyond
« Reply #325 on: Wednesday, April 07, 2010, 04:04:31 PM »
Law Abiding Citizen
I don't know, I still liked the movie, it just felt like the ending was rushed and poorly written. I could tell I was supposed to feel one thing, but felt another. MrD actually didn't make that complaint, so maybe you won't agree with me either.

Actually, I did say the ending did feel pulled out of its ass. Yes, it rushed too suddenly to the end-point, despite that I liked that in the end...
(click to show/hide)

EDIT:
Sherlock Holmes
I liked both of those.  Sherlock Holmes is just for fun, and I thought it succeeded at that.  I have to say, though, that Sandra Bullock's performance (The Blind Side) was nowhere near as deserving of an Oscar as Meryl Streep's (Julie and Julia).
Sherlock Holmes was pretty good, I thought, despite...
(click to show/hide)

I thought Downey and Law worked great together as the iconic duo, BTW...

EDIT 2:
"Endings" In Movies
I've been on the fence about this movie for a while.  Everyone who writes about it keeps hinting that the ending sucks.  I don't want a spoiler, so I didn't read yours.  Does the ending make you sorry you spent the time?  I hate that.  I'm sick of Hollywood screwing up a movie in the last 5 minutes.  It's like having rotten eggs for dessert after a tasty dinner.
Well, I've not liked a lot of endings in flicks, actually. So, while I do feel even if the last 5 minutes sucked, if the rest of the film was pretty good - then, it's not a big deal. It's just an annoyance. Though, a lot of films been going for that annoyance factor. Some way worse than others. I think a lot of movies have put some sour tastes in my mouth, w/ the way they end flicks. I find it very aggravating to end a film on an abrupt note of "Sequel is coming" and/or leaving a bunch of threads hanging for the next installment. Sherlock Holmes and New Moon both are good examples of this. At least w/ Holmes, there's only really one thread hanging. New Moon is much worse b/c not only does the ending suck, there's still a handful of threads just left dangling in front of your face. Bleh.

One of the worst endings I've seen has to go to The Life of David Gale. I liked the flick and I thought the film got its message across quite well on the death penalty...
Well, that is until the last 5 minutes hit. They had the perfect ending for this flick, if they left it at where they had it before the actual final scene. The final scene feels extremely tacted-on - probably to try and give people a so-called "OMG twist" - which it really isn't. Here's why - the final scene does damage to the film b/c the last 5 minutes takes the point of the entire film on the death penalty and basically shatters it, throwing the film's point right out the fuckin' window.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
  • OWNet 4 Eternity & Beyond
« Reply #326 on: Monday, April 19, 2010, 05:21:06 PM »
Bad Lieutenant: Port of Call - New Orleans
Really good and really dark movie. Nicholas Cage plays a really dirty cop in New Orleans right after Hurricane Katrina, struggling w/ more problems than you can shake a stick at.

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #327 on: Monday, April 19, 2010, 10:35:30 PM »
I liked that, though it is somewhat off kilter.  That character Nick Cage plays is seriously flawed, and the plot cut him too much slack.

Quote from: MysterD
. . . a lot of films been going for that annoyance factor. Some way worse than others. I think a lot of movies have put some sour tastes in my mouth, w/ the way they end flicks. I find it very aggravating to end a film on an abrupt note of "Sequel is coming" and/or leaving a bunch of threads hanging for the next installment.

That's right on the money.  I'm so sick of that.  Like all forms of fiction, movies need a resolution.  It doesn't have to be a happy ending, but it does have to be an ending, as in a conclusion.  Soap operas and miniseries are a different artform.  What's the worst is the artsy fartsy "ending" which leaves you hanging completely in limbo, and it has nothing to do with sequels, but rather with the writer or director being up his own ass.  If you like this sort of masochism, watch Peacock.

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #328 on: Monday, April 19, 2010, 10:43:38 PM »
I don't watch a ton of movies, but what's this trend?  Like they're just stopping?

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #329 on: Monday, April 19, 2010, 10:53:46 PM »
That's what it feels like.  They're not bothering to tie up the threads at the end and conclude the story.  More often than ever, scrolling end credits make a surprise appearance.

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #330 on: Tuesday, April 20, 2010, 04:28:45 PM »
That fucking blows.  A story isn't a story without a conclusion.  That "oh you don't get it" shit is just pure pretentiousness. Not having a proper ending doesn't fucking add anything.  Things can certainly be left open ended, but a good story teller/filmmaker will do so while giving the viewer a feeling of conclusion on some level. 

It's like a joke without a punchline.  Could be the best set up in the world, but the end result is still garbage.

Anyways, I've watched three movies this week, which is probably a new record for me.  Saw Sherlock Holmes, which I found rather enjoyable.  Hope the chick returns for the second as she's certainly one of the more intriguing characters (of the literary stories as well...although she was only actually in one of them I believe) and prevents Holmes from falling to Superman Syndrome.

Saw Surrogate after seeing it mentioned here.  Wasn't bad but wasn't great.  I don't know why, but I don't think I've ever not liked a movie with Bruce Willis in it.

Just watched The Imaginarium of Dr. Parnassus.  Was alright but I expected more.  I also apparently can't tell the difference between Heath Ledger, Jude Law, and to a lesser extent, Johnny Depp.

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #331 on: Tuesday, April 20, 2010, 07:09:19 PM »
Hehe!  Yes, I watched that not realizing it was the movie that needed more than one actor for Heath Ledger's role (since he died).  So at first it didn't click that I was seeing Colin Farrell (instead of Ledger) all of a sudden.  Given the fantasy setting of the movie, the actor switching worked OK.  Nice save.

Offline Ghandi

• HAMS
« Reply #332 on: Wednesday, April 21, 2010, 12:59:38 AM »
I've seen a bunch of new stuff lately but tonight I wanted to watch some stuff I've been meaning to see. I watched "One Flew Over the Cuckoos nest" and "Clockwork Orange". The former was awesome in every way and the latter was pretty good.

Offline scottws

• Gold Member
    • Facebook Me
« Reply #333 on: Wednesday, April 21, 2010, 04:59:05 AM »
I hate the movie A Clockwork Orange.  The book is much better, but it is a difficult read.

Offline ren

• Veteran
« Reply #334 on: Wednesday, April 21, 2010, 10:45:48 PM »
I hate the movie One Flew Over the Cuckoos Nest.  The book is much better, and it's an easy read.

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #335 on: Wednesday, April 21, 2010, 10:58:07 PM »
I hate the movie A Clockwork Orange.  The book is much better, but it is a difficult read.

Yeah, the book is needlessly difficult to read.

I hate the movie One Flew Over the Cuckoos Nest.  The book is much better, and it's an easy read.

You're wrong. Yes, the book is much better but the movie is still very good.

Offline scottws

• Gold Member
    • Facebook Me
« Reply #336 on: Thursday, April 22, 2010, 01:43:45 PM »
You have to love how the author makes up a language loosely based on Russian and basically forces you to learn it.  I thought that was one of the neatest things about the book though.  At first you are like, "WTF is that?!" and by the end you not only know what the new words mean but you don't even really have to consciously translate them.

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #337 on: Thursday, April 22, 2010, 03:46:38 PM »
Yeah, by the end of it it was pretty cool how you picked it up and I will say that it actually did add a lot...it's just also a huge roadblock when you're first reading the book.  Fucking cockney as well.

Offline ren

• Veteran
« Reply #338 on: Tuesday, April 27, 2010, 08:18:52 AM »

You're wrong. Yes, the book is much better but the movie is still very good.

It probably is, it was just one of those cases where I watched the movie really soon after reading the book. It's pretty much impossible to like a movie under those circumstances. Now that it's been a few years maybe I'll give it another shot.

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #339 on: Thursday, May 13, 2010, 08:43:53 PM »
Just watched The Imaginarium of Doctor Parnassus and I don't get it. Maybe I should have been high when I watched it. It was too weird.

I did like the "Mr. Nick" character though.

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #340 on: Thursday, May 13, 2010, 11:02:06 PM »
That was one strange movie.

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #341 on: Wednesday, May 19, 2010, 07:58:46 PM »
The Book of Eli

This just looks like all kinds of badass. Denzel Washington in a post-apocalyptic world. Some spots looked like they were pulled straight out of Fallout.

I know that this genre has some elements that are bound to look alike across movies and games.  Even allowing for that, I was surprised how much the movie reminded me of the game, right down to Eli giving thanks for being allowed to fight the good fight.  The colors and the textures are the same, plus the "raiders", the roads, the landscape, the main town and even the lone wanderer all seemed borrowed from the Capital Wasteland.  I know I've played too much FO 3, and maybe so have Gary Whitta and the Hughes brothers.

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #342 on: Wednesday, May 19, 2010, 08:47:16 PM »
Haha what a coincidence I am watching it right now! :D

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #343 on: Thursday, May 20, 2010, 12:16:20 AM »
Just watched The Imaginarium of Doctor Parnassus and I don't get it. Maybe I should have been high when I watched it. It was too weird.

I did like the "Mr. Nick" character though.

Yeah, thinking back on it, I'm not really a fan.

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #344 on: Thursday, May 20, 2010, 12:39:16 AM »
I think the only reason that movie got any attention was the untimely demise of Heath Ledger.

Anyway, I just watched The Book of Eli. I enjoyed it, I mean it's not movie of the year or anything but it was alright. The similarity to Fallout 3 is uncanny! I could have sworn some of the outfits were right out of the game too!

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #345 on: Thursday, May 20, 2010, 12:50:44 AM »
Xessive, it was written by Garry Whitta... former EiC of PCG mag. He is a huge geek still, and while I haven't seen the movie, I wouldn't be surprised if he took inspiration from several video games.

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #346 on: Thursday, May 20, 2010, 01:17:25 AM »
Xessive, it was written by Garry Whitta... former EiC of PCG mag. He is a huge geek still, and while I haven't seen the movie, I wouldn't be surprised if he took inspiration from several video games.
Ooohhhhh haha that makes sense now! :P

Offline iPPi

• Roar!
« Reply #347 on: Sunday, May 23, 2010, 09:50:55 PM »
I just saw The Book of Eli... it was a pretty good movie.  I wasn't quite sure what to expect except that it looked inspired by Fallout 3.  There have been quite a few movies regarding the post apocalyptic world recently, mainly The Road and The Book of Eli -- I have to say I prefer The Book of Eli over The Road.  They're both good movies in their own right, but I think The Book of Eli manages to hold my attention better whereas The Road did have a few parts where it was somewhat boring.

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #348 on: Monday, May 24, 2010, 02:24:38 AM »
I'm watching TRON right now! What a leap back in time hehe ;D

Now I really feel like playing TRON 2.0!

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #349 on: Monday, May 24, 2010, 08:32:13 AM »
The Road was way too depressing.  I liked Eli much better myself.

Offline scottws

• Gold Member
    • Facebook Me
« Reply #350 on: Monday, May 24, 2010, 12:28:12 PM »
I watched half of 3:10 to Yuma last night.  It wasn't great or bad, but I do have the desire to see the rest.  I will say that it is weird that neither of the two main characters are American's.  It's just strange to see a Brit and an Aussie playing Old Westerners.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #351 on: Monday, May 24, 2010, 09:45:27 PM »
Good flick, I thought, actually.  Enjoyed it.

天才的な閃きと平均以下のテクニックやな。 課長有野

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #352 on: Tuesday, May 25, 2010, 12:10:04 AM »
Yea I really enjoyed that western. The ending was pretty good.

Offline ren

• Veteran
« Reply #353 on: Tuesday, May 25, 2010, 04:12:39 AM »
I haven't seen The Road but I did read the book. Really good book except for one thing. Cormac McCarthy hates the apostrophe. He'd write cant, shouldnt, wouldnt and didnt all the time. It was almost annoying enough for me to stop reading it.

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #354 on: Tuesday, May 25, 2010, 07:52:13 AM »
I wouldnt be surprised if the apostrophe went the way of the dodo, eventually.  Its misused all the time anyway.  :)

Offline ren

• Veteran
« Reply #355 on: Tuesday, May 25, 2010, 08:01:37 AM »
I read your post and didn't even notice you avoided apostrophes until I got to the smiley face. But in a physical book, it was jarring. It'd take more than my lifetime before people would accept a textbook without apostrophes as a legitimate source of information.

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #356 on: Tuesday, May 25, 2010, 08:29:48 AM »
Yeah, I hope it doesn't happen in mine.  Having "it's" become a legitimate alternate form of the possessive pronoun "its" might happen sooner.  That constant misuse of the apostrophe bugs me as much as the absence of any bugged you.

Offline ren

• Veteran
« Reply #357 on: Tuesday, May 25, 2010, 08:51:30 AM »
I'm sure I'm guilty of doing that every now and then. I don't know how it is in America now but I was never actually taught grammar. Every time it was supposed to be taught teachers just brushed over it or half-assed it.

I understood what you meant by possessive pronoun only because you gave an example, otherwise I'd have to look it up. And my writing skills are apparently better than most people my age, how scary is that?

edit:

and to keep this on topic, I watched A.I. recently. I'd heard a lot of bad things about it so I went in with very low expectations and ended up being pretty impressed. That kid succeeded in being the creepiest child actor I've ever seen. He nailed the role of robot.

I can't help but wonder what it would have been like if Kubrick directed it. There probably would've been a lot more on the seedy underworld and sex trade.

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #358 on: Tuesday, May 25, 2010, 08:56:37 AM »
Yea AI is a bit of an unedited mess... but it is a mess of goodness.

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #359 on: Tuesday, May 25, 2010, 09:38:35 AM »
I loved A.I.  +1 for being legit sci-fi to begin with.