Author Topic: Dateline: To Catch an ID Thief  (Read 2824 times)

Offline sirean_syan

• Global Moderator
  • Post-aholic
Dateline: To Catch an ID Thief
« on: Sunday, July 22, 2007, 09:01:34 PM »
So I've spend the last couple of hours watching one of those Dateline investigation shows, this time about credit card/ID thieves and it's freaking insane. They've started by setting up a fake online store to get leads on people with stolen credit cards and it's like a movie the way the path goes. Chris Hanson meets a few people duped into being middle men for hot items by people who tell them they love them and want to marry them at one legs and in the end tricks a Nigerian scammer into a face to face meeting in Switzerland.

The thing was dragged on for far too long, but it was one of the more interesting little things I've seen on TV in a while.

Offline PyroMenace

Re: Dateline: To Catch an ID Thief
« Reply #1 on: Sunday, July 22, 2007, 09:07:36 PM »
Yea ive seen the first part to that, about the guy who would get all the packages from the ID theft purchases. The dude was married first of all, so he does all this behind his wifes back as he claims this woman who has her own "business" wants to marry him and he or she, whatever, sends him a obviously fake pic of a big breasted model. Its amazing how obvious the scam is yet people can fall right into it.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #2 on: Sunday, July 22, 2007, 11:48:55 PM »
The world is full of morons.  That's why we have violence.

天才的な閃きと平均以下のテクニックやな。 課長有野

Offline nickclone

• Veteran
« Reply #3 on: Monday, July 23, 2007, 02:02:28 AM »
I remember when Dateline used to be respectable.

Offline HxCeddie

« Reply #4 on: Monday, July 23, 2007, 12:07:32 PM »
To Catch a Predator is so much funnier.

Offline angrykeebler

• Veteran
« Reply #5 on: Monday, July 23, 2007, 12:16:11 PM »
I'M CHRIS HAAANSEN
Suck it, Pugnate.

Offline WindAndConfusion

• Veteran
« Reply #6 on: Monday, July 23, 2007, 03:48:10 PM »
Chris Hansen is a coke fiend. You can tell for two reasons:
  • He has that hyper-obnoxious, self-righteous way of speaking that typifies coke fiends everywhere.
  • He is on television.

Coincidentally, I think being a coke fiend is worse than anything I've ever seen someone get busted for on To Catch a Predator.

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #7 on: Monday, July 23, 2007, 03:53:13 PM »
I cant wait for Dateline: To Catch a Pokemon

Offline Ghandi

• HAMS
« Reply #8 on: Monday, July 23, 2007, 04:27:01 PM »
Coincidentally, I think being a coke fiend is worse than anything I've ever seen someone get busted for on To Catch a Predator.

Yes, having a personal drug addiction is so much worse than molesting children.

Offline WindAndConfusion

• Veteran
« Reply #9 on: Monday, July 23, 2007, 05:52:05 PM »
Yes, having a personal drug addiction is so much worse than molesting children.
They're not "children," and they're not getting "molested." They're (supposedly) teenagers offering consensual sex, which may or may not be statutory rape depending on the jurisdiction you live in.

Back in high school, I once had a 16-year-old girlfriend dump me for a 30-year-old lawyer, probably because he had more money than me. Does that make her a whore and him a disgusting pervert? (Well, probably.) Does that mean she got molested by a child rapist? (I guess you might think so, if you're retarded.)

Offline Ghandi

• HAMS
« Reply #10 on: Monday, July 23, 2007, 06:56:16 PM »
Man, that's two threads that you've pinned me as retarded today. Despite my mental stupidity, however, I would like to point out that as molested is defined as "To subject to unwanted or improper sexual activity," the act of a 13 (as most of the girls on the show are younger than 16) and 30 year old going at it is indeed molestation. And yes, a 16 year old (or younger) girl is a "child."

Offline angrykeebler

• Veteran
« Reply #11 on: Monday, July 23, 2007, 08:25:28 PM »
Suck it, Pugnate.

Offline WindAndConfusion

• Veteran
« Reply #12 on: Monday, July 23, 2007, 08:38:52 PM »
Despite my mental stupidity, however, I would like to point out that as molested is defined as "To subject to unwanted or improper sexual activity,"
Well it's certainly not unwanted sexual activity, or else it wouldn't be consensual. And as I already pointed out, it's only "improper" if the law says so, and the law varies a lot. In some US states, it's legal (and therefore "proper") for a 60-year-old to shack up with a 14-year-old, but only if they're married.
(as most of the girls on the show are younger than 16)

All of the "girls" on the show are 20-somethings pretending to be teenagers.
the act of a 13 and 30 year old going at it is indeed molestation.
Actually, that would usually be called statutory rape. Molestation implies a lack of consent. But then, it really depends on who you ask.
And yes, a 16 year old (or younger) girl is a "child."
Says you. Many 16-year-old girls disagree, and they continue to disagree when they become women.

My problem with To Catch a Predator is that they start by taking a morally grey area - teenage sexuality - then replacing the teenagers with adults who are pretending to be teenagers - then having those adults deliberately seduce people. Then they turn the whole complicated, confusing mess into a public spectacle about "child rape." And they make money doing it.

Fact: If you don't know the difference between pedophilia and hebephilia, even after people explain it to you, you are indeed retarded.

Also a fact: Ghandi is racist against women. And I fucking hate racists.

Offline Ghandi

• HAMS
« Reply #13 on: Monday, July 23, 2007, 08:56:22 PM »
Well, I actually don't agree with a lot of the motives of the show. Half of it is entrapment and much of it is subjective, as you have already pointed out. But these men who get off on sexual relations with children should be dealt with. The only question is, where do we draw the line? I think that the current definitions are correct but perhaps the practice of exploiting them (as this show does) is not correct. But for the most part I do believe these men get off on relations with these young girls and that is wrong.

Also I would like to add that women seriously can't drive. Like, they fucking suck at driving.

Also, W&C, if you are considering getting into the sign development industry, please don't. People will die.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #14 on: Monday, July 23, 2007, 09:23:25 PM »
I don't consider teenage sexuality to be a grey area.  Teenagers are fucking morons and sexuality is dangerous in the hands of morons.  They should all be stuck in sleeping chambers and taught how not to be fucking morons while they sleep, then they can wake up and function like normal after sufficient time has passed.  You can talk about consensual sex all you want, but saying a teenager has the mental capacity to make sound sexual judgment is like saying a monkey is smart enough to drive a car.  Monkeys throw shit, teenagers fuck each other and have babies and get diseases and fall in "love" with older people they can't even interface with properly on a basic social level.  But you can teach monkeys amazing things with food treats and flashing lights, and you can teach teenagers (in theory, anyway) not to be completely stupid, but that also requires some effort, not to mention keeping away people who don't give a flying fuck about their welfare and just want to get their rocks off with some young meat.  Those people have to be dealt with.  Do I like or agree with the premise of the Dateline show?  Not really.  I'm sure most of the guys are scumbags, but the concept doesn't sit well with me.  Do I think sometimes public hysteria blows this stuff out of proportion?  Absolutely.  However, none of those points negate the fact that when you live in a society when most of the adults are fucking morons, it stands to reason that the kids are even bigger fucking morons, so you're probably going to want to pay a little attention to that point so your society doesn't turn into an even bigger giant flaming pile of garbage.  Just maybe.

Offline WindAndConfusion

• Veteran
« Reply #15 on: Monday, July 23, 2007, 09:33:12 PM »
That's real deep, Que.

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #16 on: Monday, July 23, 2007, 09:38:03 PM »
Next on Dateline, Chris Hansen sits out in the rain without a jacket in pursuit of investigative journalism.

Dateline: To Catch a Cold

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #17 on: Monday, July 23, 2007, 10:28:08 PM »
That's gold.  I think some of us would actually watch that if it was pneumonia.  Or leprosy.

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #18 on: Monday, July 23, 2007, 10:48:37 PM »
Next week, Chris Hansen has difficulty choosing between objects with "enie meenie miny moe." Join him as he travels to the zoo in...

Dateline: To Catch a Tiger by the Toe

Offline angrykeebler

• Veteran
« Reply #19 on: Tuesday, July 24, 2007, 09:00:09 AM »
Okay so this is a bit of coicidence that we are on this subject (one of child molestation) because my friend here at work asked me to take part in a psychological survey for his wifes university class. Basically, i was supposed to watch a REAL testimony given by a 5 year old child about when she was sexually abused by her mothers boyfriend.

God.. I just got through watching it and filling in the survey like 20 minutes and it kinda shook me up. The kid was very distressed and crying and it was a hard thing to watch.

I know its way different that a pre-teen ASKING for sex but i just thought i should write about it because it upset me. There are some fucking people who we should just castrate and throw into prison. I think sexual abuse against someone that young is one of the most vile, evil crimes anyone can commit.
Suck it, Pugnate.

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #20 on: Tuesday, July 24, 2007, 12:10:22 PM »
Be aware that if you were a part of a psychological experiment, things were not what they seemed.  The subjects are always told they're there to do one thing, when in fact the purpose is entirely different.  You said "survey", though, so I can't be sure about the nature or purpose of your experience.

Offline Ghandi

• HAMS
« Reply #21 on: Tuesday, July 24, 2007, 12:35:45 PM »
Yeah keeb, the part of the experiment where you got naked and covered yourself in hot chocolate should have given it away.

Offline angrykeebler

• Veteran
« Reply #22 on: Tuesday, July 24, 2007, 12:38:58 PM »
i thought i blocked that part out  :(
Suck it, Pugnate.

Offline NatchDan

• I object.
    • NatchDan Music
« Reply #23 on: Tuesday, July 24, 2007, 06:13:13 PM »
This week, Chris Hansen visits troops in Iraq and attempts to lure them into declaring insanity.

Dateline: To Catch 22.
|