Author Topic: Starcraft 2  (Read 2380 times)

Offline angrykeebler

• Veteran
Starcraft 2
« on: Sunday, August 05, 2007, 01:00:30 AM »
So I spent some time with this baby at Blizzcon and attended some panels about its single player.

First, the single player. It looks like Blizz is taking a more non-linear approach to the single player. They demoed a bit of the Terran campaign and it seems that Jim Raynor is the focus. You can interact with crew and you have dialogue options much like KOTOR. You can also pick and choose what missions you want kinda like Command and Conquer but on a much, much wider scale. They also have a new system in place where you can take optional missions to make money and upgrade your units.

As far as the story goes, in the cutscene that we watched Jimy Raynor is walking in his ship alone and suddenly a wounded Zeratul appears before him. He says to Raynor something like "The Xel'Naga....are coming".  :o :o :o

As far as the new units go I was really, really impressed. They Protoss have this badass new flying unit called the Mothership that drew cheers everytime it came on screen. This thing was owning Terran Battlecruisers left and right. Then, when it got surrounded, it opened up this black hole that sucked in like 3 Battlecruisers. It was pretty awesome to watch.

I got to spend an hour playing it and I loved it. The game just felt very fluid and just felt like Starcraft. It was very, very fun and best of all it really looked like it was almost done. The single player cutscenes we saw all had voicework and the gameplay looked very polished. I'm going to hole myself in my room for several days after this is released.
Suck it, Pugnate.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
Re: Starcraft 2
« Reply #1 on: Sunday, August 05, 2007, 01:45:51 AM »
Good to hear it looks to live up to the legacy.  Almost has me wanting to go back and play the original.

天才的な閃きと平均以下のテクニックやな。 課長有野

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
  • OWNet 4 Eternity & Beyond
« Reply #2 on: Sunday, August 05, 2007, 04:26:50 AM »
Good to hear it looks to live up to the legacy.  Almost has me wanting to go back and play the original.

Shit, I need to START the original.
And then play Brood War.

Offline scottws

• Gold Member
    • Facebook Me
« Reply #3 on: Sunday, August 05, 2007, 05:18:41 AM »
It sounds like the Protoss got upgraded, which I find discouraging because I feel they were already the most powerful race to begin with in the original.

Offline Antares

• Veteran
« Reply #4 on: Sunday, August 05, 2007, 02:19:06 PM »
I'm sure all the races will get similar treatment. Blizz seems to hold to a higher standard when it comes to balancing their games.  I may actually have to look into a new PC when this comes out.  I haven't given two craps about a PC game in a long time.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #5 on: Thursday, May 22, 2008, 01:52:56 PM »
CVG has revealed some rumored system requirements for Starcraft 2.

These are not final yet and not confirmed by Blizzard yet, but here's what we can probably expect for ballpark requirements, I'd guess...

Starcraft 2 system specs emerge
Thursday 22-May-2008 3:57 PM How unusual - a Blizzard game that won't run on a Casio calculator
17 Comments
Specifications for Starcraft 2 have leaked out of Blizzard HQ and are unusually high... for Blizzard, at least.

Blizzard has been previously renowned for releasing games that will run on even the most antiquated computers, with the success of World of Warcraft partially credited to its meagre demands on player systems.

The requirements are ripped straight out of a preview from Spanish games rag Micromania, according to a poster on a Starcraft 2 fan site.

Blizzard has yet to confirm the specs, so far only confirming that the game will require Pixel Shader 2.0. Here's the list:

Minimum Requirements:

GFX: GeForce 7/8 Series or Radeon 1000/2000 with 256Mb RAM
CPU: Pentium 4
RAM: 1Gb
Internet: ADSL 1 MBit

Recommend Requirements:

GFX: GeForce 8000 or Radeon 2000 series with 512Mb RAM
CPU: Core 2 Duo or Athlon X2
RAM: 2Gb
Internet: ADSL 3 Mbit

Optimal Requirements:

GFX: Geforce 9000er or Radeon 3000er Series
CPU: Core 2 Duo 3 Ghz or Athlon X2
RAM: 2Gb with DualChannel mode.

Offline scottws

• Gold Member
    • Facebook Me
« Reply #6 on: Thursday, May 22, 2008, 02:48:36 PM »
Recommended appears to be just shy of "stiff."

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #7 on: Sunday, June 29, 2008, 07:38:51 PM »
Anyways, here's the word on SC2 -- not coming in 2008.
Click me

No StarCraft II This Year [June 29, 2008, 7:09 pm ET] - Viewing Comments
Internode Games Network has a comment from Blizzard's Rob Pardo at the Worldwide Invitational in Paris that seems to put the kibosh on e-tailer fueled speculation that StarCraft II would be released on December 3 (story). Pardo says they are "about a third of the way through" development of the campaign for the RTS sequel, and that they expect to have something to show off by the end of the year, which seems a clear indication that the RTS sequel is quite a bit further off than this holiday season. Thanks nin.

Offline PyroMenace

« Reply #8 on: Sunday, June 29, 2008, 08:01:17 PM »
Well that much is obvious.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #9 on: Friday, August 29, 2008, 01:44:16 PM »
Might be a 4th race for SC2, whether it's by expansion or possibly DLC.

StarCraft II Fourth Race Must Wait for Expansion  [August 29, 2008, 10:59 am ET] - Viewing Comments

Videogaming247 has a follow-up to speculation that a fourth race will be included in StarCraft II, learning from Blizzard cofounder Frank Pearce that the game will definitely ship with three races.

He does, however say that a fourth race may cone "in the event" of an expansion, humorously implying that there's a chance there will not be any add-ons for the RTS sequel.

They quote Pearce as saying: "We talked about the possibility of a fourth race early on, but we felt like we had a finite amount of great ideas and wanted to make sure we focused all the cool, best ideas on the existing three races rather than diluting those ideas across four races."
If there is an expansion, I bet there'll be a 4th race.

So, okay -- let's just say they don't do a SC2 Expansion pack.
Maybe if they do a 4th race, maybe the 4th race will come via DLC (pay DLC or free DLC)?

Offline sirean_syan

• Global Moderator
  • Post-aholic
« Reply #10 on: Friday, August 29, 2008, 05:51:36 PM »
I hope they bring in the Necrons.

Oh shoot. Wrong game.