Author Topic: MyD's Dealing With Writer's Block, Too Many Ideas In My Head, Etc Etc...  (Read 7596 times)

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
  • OWNet 4 Eternity & Beyond
MyD's Dealing With Writer's Block, Too Many Ideas In My Head, Etc Etc...
« on: Sunday, August 19, 2007, 06:49:35 PM »
As some of you may or may not know about MyD, MyD has been writing short stories since around 5th grade, in his spare time. And he has finished a bunch of short stories and novel-sized stories done, over the years.

MyD usually does these genres of writing -- mystery and medieval/fantasy. Maybe even mix those, in some stories.

So, anyways, MyD has been working on a series of medieval-fantasy books for a few years...
(Yeah, I should go find an agent and a publisher....)

Now, I used to hand-write all my books before and after I got my PC -- though, after Book 1 of my most recent medieval-fantasy series, I got sick of hand-writing the book and then typing them up into MS Word; just feels like an extra step I want to avoid. I eventually got to a mode where I began writing/creating ONLY in MS Word. Plus, when I hand-wrote the story, I always wrote in it order. Plus, it got to a mode where I felt free enough to not write the book in order -- maybe I'll write a middle chapter, maybe the end, maybe the beginning; whatever order I felt, I could do on the PC.

Book 1
So, the first book in the series -- been done, for a few years.

Book 2
So, the second book in the series -- it's almost done. Been almost done for a while. Getting some form of writer's block, I just never really got around to writing the final chapter to the this book, b/c I know it'll be so epic and ALSO b/c...

Book 3
...I began coming up w/ ideas for Book 3. And, I even began writing Book 3, while working on Book 2. I had so many ideas in my head for Book 3, I had to just start that. I wrote the beginning, wrote the end -- basically, I'm filling in the middle here and there. Though....

Book 4
...in the process of writing Book 3, I got bored w/ it. So, I began coming up w/ characters for Book 3. But, I what I dreamed up, it'd make more sense for these characters in Book 4. (I actually have so many characters created here, I could use some of them for other future Books in this series -- like in say a Book 5, Book 6, or whatever. After the character creation process and deciding what characters I want to use, I figured out what I wanted to do w/ it, plot-wise, location-wise, and whatnot -- well, for an outline and all; the outline's still in my head, I just ain't wrote some of it up yet.

What has been happening is stuff has been just popping into my head, for ideas -- I dunno', things just hit me, when I'm sometimes away from the PC. So, since I often carry a notebook and pencil w/ me when I'm away from the PC, I'm thinking I might just hand-write bits and pieces of the story that come to me while away from the PC and then type those bits up when I get myself behind a PC -- I just don't wanna hand-write the whole thing, basically.

I haven't wrote Book 3 in a while on the PC. Anytime I'm on the PC these days, I feel like I want to play games, type stuff on message boards, or anything else that has zero to do w/ writing my stories; I just never anymore have the urge to bust open MS Word and type up something. I think by handwriting bits and pieces when I'm not at my PC, it might kind of force me to open MS Word, type up those bits and pieces and just run w/ it and expand on it while MS Word's open; maybe this'll get me going again to writing on the PC; might give me a reason to write/create on the PC. I think since I been buying loads of games, I never want to boot up MS Word and type any stories up anymore.

So, do any of you guys who write actually stories ever go through stuff like this?? Like say...
...Having writer's block (get stuck in writing a story and get yourself stuck in a corner)???
Get bored while writing a story and just stop writing that story???
Or how about start another book while already in the process of one???
Or just not wanting to type anything up, even though you have plenty of ideas in your head???
Or sometimes feel like you just got too many damn ideas in your head???

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
Re: MyD's Dealing With Writer's Block, Too Many Ideas In My Head, Etc Etc...
« Reply #1 on: Sunday, August 19, 2007, 06:58:06 PM »
I'm sure anyone who writes goes through all of that, but this is probably the wrong place to be asking since as far as I know I'm the only person here who writes anything at all (outside of, say, game reviews).  Just don't sweat it.  Go do whatever it is you're going to do, and eventually you'll feel like it again.  Unless you never do, of course, in which case you probably weren't much of a writer to begin with.

天才的な閃きと平均以下のテクニックやな。 課長有野

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #2 on: Sunday, August 19, 2007, 08:03:56 PM »
I appreciate all of your advice, Mr. Que.
Thank you -- it's very much appreciated.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #3 on: Sunday, August 19, 2007, 08:05:17 PM »
I think with any creative medium you go through fits.  At least I do, though I'm probably more erratic than most.  And don't forget that even when you don't feel like actually writing, you can always go back and edit!

天才的な閃きと平均以下のテクニックやな。 課長有野

Offline Ghandi

• HAMS
« Reply #4 on: Sunday, August 19, 2007, 09:26:16 PM »
Go on a hike, have a long conversation with someone, smoke a joint (if that's your thing- not for everyone), or just generally do something that takes your mind off of it for a while. Exercise works well also.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #5 on: Monday, August 20, 2007, 01:40:20 PM »
I think with any creative medium you go through fits.  At least I do, though I'm probably more erratic than most. 
I do wish the best w/ your upcoming story Black and all, bro. :)

B/c, yuh -- I been through, plenty of times, ruts and whatnot in my stories. More so as I've gotten older. When I was younger, I could do one story and just focus on that -- and that was it. The older I get, the worse that has gotten....

And don't forget that even when you don't feel like actually writing, you can always go back and edit!
That's the best thing about MS Word -- or any other Word Processing Program on the PC.

I can always edit out, cut things here, paste things there, move things around/elsewhere, etc etc.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #6 on: Thursday, August 23, 2007, 08:56:39 PM »
So, I was able to get focused a little bit and began hand-writing Book 4 of the series yesterday, when I Was away from the house and the computer.

I ain't got too much done, really -- but, it's something, to write something up by hand (step 1). It's a start -- so, it's only a matter of time until I'd say that I'd get the knack to type up what little I actually got hand-written (step 2) -- and expand on that right on the PC (step 3); and then, repeat back to step 1.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #7 on: Saturday, September 08, 2007, 10:23:32 PM »
Progress
So, MyD's made some progress on the new book (Book 4)...
...I've made my way to Chapter 2.

Offline Ghandi

• HAMS
« Reply #8 on: Sunday, September 09, 2007, 06:34:21 PM »
...I've made my way to Chapter 2.

Since when do you talk in first person?

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #9 on: Sunday, September 09, 2007, 08:28:09 PM »
Since when do you talk in first person?

Sometimes I speak in 1st, sometimes MyD speaks in 3rd.

I just do what MyD feels, man....

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #10 on: Friday, October 19, 2007, 05:25:29 PM »
Update -- Oct 19th, 2007:
MyD has been working still here and there on this -- especially, the past few weeks.
Made my way to Chapter 3 of this story.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #11 on: Monday, September 01, 2008, 10:38:30 AM »
Update -- September 1, 2008:
Book 4
On and off, when I ain't asleep on the train for a fair portion of the ride, I write a little of this, sometimes.
I've made my way to Page 68, hand-written so far.

And basically, the first half of the story will be different from the next portion of the book. It's going to be split up into either at least TWO "Acts;" ain't decided on how many Acts there'll be fully, yet. I think it will possibly go for THREE Acts in total, but I'm uncertain.

Act 1
I basically have laid out the history of the two main characters in the story -- their history/extensive backgrounds and the current ongoing story of the two lead characters actually meeting up. All of their history, past, and whatnot will basically come into play, later on.

Yeah, this Act is basically a huge set-up piece, where these two meeting will basically set the (hectic) events of the next Act(s) into play.

Act 2
When it's written, will actually be the two going on their "adventures" together. Of where I take all this to, I'll have to figure it out.