Author Topic: Anyone know how to change default plugins in Firefox?  (Read 811 times)

Offline scottws

• Gold Member
    • Facebook Me
Anyone know how to change default plugins in Firefox?
« on: Thursday, September 20, 2007, 10:43:32 PM »
For some reason, Quicktime handles almost every type of movie.  I tried changing the plug-in to the WMP one, but it doesn't allow you to do that.  I tried installing the Windows Media Player plug-in for Firefox from microsoft.com, but this had no effect.  I tried taking away all video playing capability from Quicktime and adding it to WMP, but this too had no effect.  I tried removing the automatic file references in Firefox, but this didn't work either.

I can have WMP the program open the file, but how do I get the plug-in to handle it?  For some reason Firefox stupidly doesn't allow you to select the plug-in.

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
Re: Anyone know how to change default plugins in Firefox?
« Reply #1 on: Friday, September 21, 2007, 12:42:11 AM »
Maybe this will do it]?

A list of your installed plugins can be obtained from about:plugins. As a general rule, to remove a plugin, you remove the file listed in about:plugins for it. For plugins installed by hand, check the appropriate PluginDoc page for any other files to delete.
It looks like, at least on my install, that there are several QT .dlls that each handle different formats. So remove the one(s) that you don't want, I guess.

Offline scottws

• Gold Member
    • Facebook Me
« Reply #2 on: Friday, September 21, 2007, 05:55:21 AM »
I found out that WMP doesn't handle MPG files natively (both MPEG-1 and MPEG-2).  Quicktime on the other hand, does.  So that's why this is happening.  From what I can tell, if I install a software DVD player, it will install a MPEG-2 plug-in that I can use a tool to set as the default decoder.

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: Friday, September 21, 2007, 12:57:29 PM »
MPEG-1 is a free-for-all.  MPEG-2 takes a bit of doing if you don't own DVD-playback software (as you found out).  I would have thought that WMP would have no trouble with MPEG-1 at any time, so that's a surprise.