Author Topic: "$300 is a lot to spend on a shirt to go shopping in."  (Read 4007 times)

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
"$300 is a lot to spend on a shirt to go shopping in."
« on: Wednesday, September 26, 2007, 09:23:29 PM »
So, some bars in Vancouver are starting to not let people in who wear certain shirts.  Not the shirts that you'd think they wouldn't let you in with, but those trendy (and stupid) shirts by brands like Affliction, Coutoure Xtreme (sp?), Ed Hardy, and the like.  You know, those tight shirts with the loud and garish designs that look pretty low class but cost a ton of money?  Shirts like this:

So, I guess the theory is that these bar owners have noticed a correlation between groups of people who wear these shirts and problems at bars.  Basically, if you go into some bars the bouncers either won't let you in with them or they'll make you turn your shirts inside out. 

As you can imagine, fun boys lose it.  I like to listen to bad talk radio.  I don't know why, but for some reason when I drive to work I always tune into this shity top 40 radio station that plays the worst songs - like that Will.I.Am song.  I think I like to listen to it because it reminds how much better I am than most people right before work.

The DJs on this station are pretty funny.  A guy with no balls who sounds and acts like a total funboy, and two chicks.  The kind of people you'd imagine would be hosting a station dedicated to playing pure r&b/pop/garbage.  So they've been talking about this for a couple days now and the kind of guys who regularly listen to this shit and call in all the time and calling in and getting all pissed off.   I can't say if most of them are uneducated or what, but it's surprising how little people know about what legally counts as unethical discrimination and how that pertains to class action lawsuits.  But the best quote ever:

"I just bought 2 hoodies from Affliction in LA.  Each cost over $300 and now I can't wear them to the club.  $300 is a lot to spend on a shirt to go shopping in." 

And the hosts were like "yeah, that sucks bro!  Well, have a hippity hoppity day and don't forget to throw on some more of that cologne when you go to your salesperson job.  We'll play the worst song in the world that you wanted us to play because it reminds you of that time the Italian girl in the shiny little skirt was grinding on your $200 pre-ripped, pre-faded jeans.  But you didn't get any because she's a whore looking to dance and get drinks and you don't have any balls.  That's coming right up after this shitty song with a shitty beat that we'll laugh about playing in about 3 months."

But the one thing is that not one person out of the 4 or 5 bantering on the radio as well as the people who called in immediately after said what needed to be said  "Why the fuck are you spending $300 on a shit anyway?  A fucking hoodie no less?"

You know what?  You idiots deserve it.  Then I started thinking why people wear these.  I guess a certain type of girl likes to see guys who spend a lot of money on shirts.  And then I started thinking about why that would be and it didn't make any sense.  Like, I'm pretty sure when Warren Buffett gets off work he's not throwing on a loud, ugly, cheap looking shirt that cost him $300.  IT made me think a lot about the state of society.

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
Re: "$300 is a lot to spend on a shirt to go shopping in."
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday, September 26, 2007, 09:40:19 PM »
This just makes me want to make more shirts. If people pay $300 for shirts with *those* shitty designs on them, I could make a fortune with my shitty designs!

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday, September 26, 2007, 09:45:08 PM »
Dude, that's the thing.  And their buisness strategy is probably fucked because they probably pay out the ass for retail space (most likely the most expensive aspect of their buisness).  I can't imagine it took more than 10 min. to design that shirt in the picture there and the materials and manufacturing costs must be next to nothing.

To be fair, that shirt is probably around $100, but if you had some sort of direct distribution system going, either online or have tiny storefronts without any stock and a delivery or next day pickup service, plus cheap storage space somewhere else you'd have enough money to buy a new russian bride every day.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday, September 26, 2007, 09:58:37 PM »
And the hosts were like "yeah, that sucks bro!  Well, have a hippity hoppity day and don't forget to throw on some more of that cologne when you go to your salesperson job.  We'll play the worst song in the world that you wanted us to play because it reminds you of that time the Italian girl in the shiny little skirt was grinding on your $200 pre-ripped, pre-faded jeans.  But you didn't get any because she's a whore looking to dance and get drinks and you don't have any balls.  That's coming right up after this shitty song with a shitty beat that we'll laugh about playing in about 3 months."

You make me smile.

天才的な閃きと平均以下のテクニックやな。 課長有野

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday, September 26, 2007, 10:40:02 PM »
$100, you mean cost?  Why?  It's just a black t-shirt with added designs.  Is it silk or something?

I don't think I've ever spent more than $50 on a shirt, any shirt.  I've gotten gifts that I think cost a good deal more, but I could never see spending 3 figures on a shirt myself.

It does seem surprising that businesses would go that far.  It might make sense in upscale clubs that expect customers to dress well.  Middling bars are already home to all sorts of night crawlers.

Edit:  Oh, I get it now.  You mean claiming the shirt goes for $300 is too much, and that the price is more like $100.  I guess.

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday, September 26, 2007, 11:55:47 PM »
Well, I don't know, I've never actually priced these things myself.  That t-shirt is probably about $100 or around there somewhere.  Retarded, but not $300 retarded.  I've seen the hoodies that these companies make, and they're pretty much the same.  Aparently they cost like $300.  Why the fuck are you spending $300 on a shirt.  Who does that impress?  "Look at me!  I make horrible decisions."

Personally, I like to spend in the $10-25 range on all shirts.  Shirts are shirts and no one actually gives a shit.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday, September 26, 2007, 11:58:47 PM »
I bought a bunch of sleeveless shirts for summer for like 3 bucks a pop on sale.  I got like 5 of them and that's basically all I've been wearing for months, aside from the occasional tank top or t-shirt in the event of having to be somewhere where I shouldn't look like a complete slob who doesn't care about anyone.

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #7 on: Thursday, September 27, 2007, 12:20:02 AM »
Most of my shirts are around $30-$50. There have been three or four times when I've spent over $100 on a shirt, and I still have those. One of them was a really bad purchase, and it wasn't anything special in terms of fabric, though it looked good. This other shirt by HORST I paid $200 for is really special. The fabric is a little thick yet really soft, and the shirt does look incredible. It has kind of a velvety look. A couple of others I have cost $100+ and I love.

To me most of those were worth the money.

Now I look at that shirt above, and can't imagine what type of jackass would spend that much on a shirt that looks like graffiti vomit.

In fact I have a really nice suit, and can't believe that shirt would cost as much as that.

Some people have no class, just money.

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #8 on: Thursday, September 27, 2007, 12:37:19 AM »
It's high fashion man, it doesn't have to make sense.

Oh, and we forgive you for the expensive shirts.  We know you're persian.

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #9 on: Thursday, September 27, 2007, 12:41:15 AM »
Idol make some more awesome shirts just like your Freeman one :D

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #10 on: Thursday, September 27, 2007, 12:47:20 AM »
Why have I not seen these shirts?

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #11 on: Thursday, September 27, 2007, 01:14:56 AM »
I'm still waiting on my lifesteak.

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #12 on: Thursday, September 27, 2007, 01:31:48 AM »
But I am not Persian. :P

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #13 on: Thursday, September 27, 2007, 04:35:57 AM »
Persia is Iran and Iraq.  You told us your family history once, Pug, but I have forgotten.  You're in Pakistan now, right?

Offline scottws

• Gold Member
    • Facebook Me
« Reply #14 on: Thursday, September 27, 2007, 07:22:03 AM »
His family is from Saudi Arabia, I believe.  I can't remember why he's not allowed to live there.

Offline nickclone

• Veteran
« Reply #15 on: Thursday, September 27, 2007, 08:49:55 AM »
That shirt looks like something an emo kid or a punk rocker would wear. I though emo/punk kids weren't supposed to care about stuff like that? I know emo/punk kids, they like to blow their money in stores like Hot Topic.

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #16 on: Thursday, September 27, 2007, 09:15:52 AM »
I'm still waiting on my lifesteak.
Yeah, still sorta working on those. The weather got horrible so I haven't been able to break out the airbrush. Have to cut new stencils.

Offline poomcgoo

• Poster Child
« Reply #17 on: Thursday, September 27, 2007, 04:12:40 PM »
Sleeveless eh, Que?  That's pretty ballsy, those went out of style in 1994.

Meanwhile I'm wearing a $5 Philadelphia Phillies T.  I'm a Sox fan, I live in Boston like .5 miles from Fenway Park and I don't know a thing about the Phillies.  Nice shirt though.

Offline Ghandi

• HAMS
« Reply #18 on: Thursday, September 27, 2007, 04:23:46 PM »
The Phillies are making a great comeback right now. They will more than likely win the division. The Sox, meanwhile, have let the Yankees come back, which kills me. I hate the fucking Yankees.

Anyways, fashion is way overrated. I refuse to spend more than 10 bucks on a t-shirt. Jeans are a little different, but there's no way that I would ever buy the pre-ripped ones unless I just wanted to pay money to look like a tool.

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #19 on: Thursday, September 27, 2007, 04:51:49 PM »
That shirt looks like something an emo kid or a punk rocker would wear. I though emo/punk kids weren't supposed to care about stuff like that? I know emo/punk kids, they like to blow their money in stores like Hot Topic.

You'd think right, but no.  Fun boys.  Fun boys wear these shirts.  They wear them like if they didn't they'd die.  The same kind of fun boys who frost their tips and wear clear or glazed sun glasses. 

http://www.afflictionclothingstore.com/store/index.php

One of the brands.  Not expensive as it was made out to be, but I only looked at two or three items (all still much more expensive than they should be).

I actually respect emos more than these fun boys.  Not much more, but still more.

Offline nickclone

• Veteran
« Reply #20 on: Thursday, September 27, 2007, 05:26:43 PM »
I admit, I had to look up fun boy on urban dictionary...they are more annoying than emo kids.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #21 on: Thursday, September 27, 2007, 06:05:19 PM »
Sleeveless eh, Que?  That's pretty ballsy, those went out of style in 1994.

I hate heat, so anything that lets me be less warm is good.  Plus they're generally cheap, and style means very, very little to me, barring looking like a complete tool.  Which I probably do to some people, but fuck 'em.

Offline ScaryTooth

• Veteran
« Reply #22 on: Thursday, September 27, 2007, 07:24:19 PM »

I kind of like that. No way in hell I'm spending $50 on it, but it's kind of cool. I'll stick with the cheap stuff.

Offline Ghandi

• HAMS
« Reply #23 on: Thursday, September 27, 2007, 07:29:43 PM »
Yeah, that's actually good artwork. I wouldn't pay 50 bucks for it but I'd wear it.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #24 on: Thursday, September 27, 2007, 07:43:35 PM »
Some of the stuff is halfway decent.  I wouldn't wear most of it just because it's a bit... much.  I mean just in general, not just the price, but of course the price is ridiculous.

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #25 on: Thursday, September 27, 2007, 07:59:46 PM »
That's the thing.  Some of them have alright designs or good art, but  A.) they're too much money B.) they don't work on a shirt. 

There's a couple I'd wear if the picture was smaller/ more isolated, and they cost about 1/4 the price, but that's about it.  My problem with the fad isn't that the shirts are just genuinely cheesy (they are), but that people buy them because they're 'high fashion'.  Affliction is the one that I find the most tolerable, but even the one scary posted turns me off because they have to add too much to it.

Offline TheOtherBelmont

• Post-aholic
« Reply #26 on: Thursday, September 27, 2007, 09:13:34 PM »
If you guys like shirts like that you should check out threadless.com, their T shirts are usually in the $15-20 range.

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #27 on: Thursday, September 27, 2007, 09:31:21 PM »
His family is from Saudi Arabia, I believe.  I can't remember why he's not allowed to live there.

That's what I thought.  I wasn't sure, and thought it better not to guess.

Offline ren

• Veteran
« Reply #28 on: Thursday, September 27, 2007, 10:10:29 PM »
Most of my shirts are under $20, but then I have one that's $70. It's just nice to have one shirt that you know is way more expensive than all the others. But then if that's all you buy it doesn't quite work out.