Author Topic: laptop  (Read 804 times)

Offline Raisa

• Veteran
laptop
« on: Tuesday, November 06, 2007, 01:49:16 AM »
hi.. i need a new laptop.  i'm going to finally buy my very own. The one i'm using now was lent by a friend.

a small one.. budget around $400-$500.. something small.  I keep all my files on an external.  I do a lot of office type work - word files, databases, newsletters, some audio editing, powerpoints, accounting, and sometimes some photoshop work.  need it to be fast.. i'm not keen on having vista at the moment, but i NEED Office 2007.. i like all my programs that help everything go efficiently.  so i have a lot of support programs like voptx, capture wiz, irfan view, spyware stuff, prevx, etc etc.

any suggestions?
Taken.

Offline WindAndConfusion

• Veteran
Re: laptop
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday, November 06, 2007, 03:38:01 AM »
Most laptops start at around $500, although there are some that are a bit cheaper. Any less than that, and you're moving into Eee territory.

Occasionally you'll see very good short-term offers. If you have time, I recommend you camp out a bargain website (like techbargains.com), watch and wait for a week or so, and buy when an acceptably good deal comes around.

Most manufacturers are still offering computers with Windows XP installed. You can use Office 2007 on XP.

If you plan to use this laptop as your main computer, be sure it has a decently big screen. Small screens are tiring to use.

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday, November 06, 2007, 01:34:20 PM »
Most manufacturers are still offering computers with Windows XP installed. You can use Office 2007 on XP.

Where?  I entertained the idea of replacing my daughter's laptop with something in the $500-600 range as a Christmas present, until I saw that every Dell and HP being offered has Vista on it.  They all use AMD CPUs too.

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday, November 06, 2007, 01:44:43 PM »
No they finally stopped rolling over. Apparently they are offering XP again.

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday, November 06, 2007, 01:49:10 PM »
???!  I guess I need to go look again then.  I swear I just did this the other day.

Offline Raisa

• Veteran
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday, November 06, 2007, 05:54:27 PM »
$500 is okay.

Big screens are better but I can't bring around laptops that are too big since the doctor instilled a no-carrying rule since my heart condition's gotten worse throughout the year.
i do have a computer bag that i just pull around but when i have to go up stairs or run to catch a plane, then i have no choice.
Taken.