Author Topic: You sir, are a fucking moron and no longer deserve your PS3  (Read 2075 times)

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
You sir, are a fucking moron and no longer deserve your PS3
« on: Sunday, November 11, 2007, 11:36:17 PM »
Listen to audio file

The rundown:  Some guy fucks up and buys a PS3 instead of a Wii, 360, or waiting until the price drops and there are actually games to play.  Then it breaks so he fucks up again by sending it in instead of just making a door stop out of it.  They open it up, find (aparently) a ton of dust in it, and refuse to fix it.  He wants pictures of the dusts, they won't give them to him, he posts some shit on the internet, and then follows up with this call.

That's not really the issue here, the issue is that this guy is straight up retarded.  Why in the world, after talking to people far higher up in the chain of Sony command, would you call a CSR again and try to get new information out of them?  "Well, I already spoke to your boss and they won't fix it"  Well, why the fuck are you talking to me instead of THEIR boss?  You don't fucking go down the chain of command, everyone fucking knows that.

The other part is his whole little ploy to make it legal to record the conversation is probably 100% bullshit.  While I don't know the legal details from state to state, that was in no way a clear statement, nor was there actually consent.  Why the fuck go out of your way to even bother telling them when legally you didn't anyways?

And the final part - rarely does it ever help you to go in being a dick right away.  It just gives people a reason to look for ways to fuck you over.

Offline scottws

• Gold Member
    • Facebook Me
Re: You sir, are a fucking moron and no longer deserve your PS3
« Reply #1 on: Monday, November 12, 2007, 07:34:01 AM »
I think the laws regarding recording phone conversations between 2 parties suck.  Businesses will never offer consent for you to record them, but they record you and you have no choice to deny consent because generally you have to speak to them and don't have an alternative.

I've always thought it was pretty crappy.  I can't tell you how many times I've been told two different things, where the second person denies what was said the first time and I have no way to prove it because I didn't have permission to record the call (I do have equipment and did ask).

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: Monday, November 12, 2007, 09:31:28 AM »
Some years ago, the IRS screwed up on an unusual part of my return involving stock.  When I called them, I did record it, and I told them that I was recording it.  I didn't ask if I could.  They seemed to have no problem with that.  I don't know about other businesses.

Also, as with other things, this is strictly a matter of enforcement.  I'd say you should always record a conversation if the matter is important enough to be recorded, with or without consent.  If it comes to a fight about who said what, then you can play the conversation for a trusted 3rd party and have them be your witness.  There's no need to differentiate between a witnessed speaker-phone conversation, and a recording.  If they're going to lie, then a little quid pro quo is not exactly evil.

Edit:
I've been making it a habit of recording all my costumer service calls, and always tell the CSR I'm doing it. So far I haven't been hung up on, and if they did, just keep calling back until you get a CSR who won't.

That's from one of the comments on that page.  It lends a bit of support for what I said before.

After reading that page while listening to the conversation, I have a different take on this, gpw.  This guy is pissed about being jerked around and he's looking for recorded evidence and drama about the situation.  I agree that he may be stupid for buying a PS3 in the first place.  :)

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #3 on: Monday, November 12, 2007, 09:52:31 AM »
Well I am going to use this thread to express how twice I've personally been screwed over in Canada.

The first time I needed to extend my visa so I sent a money order for $120, when it was $125, which was my mistake. Immediately sent them $125, but I didn't get my $120 back and both money order's were cashed. :P

The second time I signed a contract with AT&T. It was a cellphone for $400 with a $200 rebate. On the form it said I could send in a photocopy of the receipt for the rebate. The photocopy was clear as anything...

Anyway I got a reply four weeks after they received the letter and two days before the expiration date. It said they didn't accept photocopies and that's it, while the contract said they did and the guy at the AT&T booth who signed me up assured they did.

As for the OP (original post), I think the guy's mission probably was to garner as much attention as possible without considering the logic of going all over the chain of command.

I can understand his frustration though.

Offline scottws

• Gold Member
    • Facebook Me
« Reply #4 on: Monday, November 12, 2007, 10:09:00 AM »
The second time I signed a contract with AT&T. It was a cellphone for $400 with a $200 rebate. On the form it said I could send in a photocopy of the receipt for the rebate. The photocopy was clear as anything...

Anyway I got a reply four weeks after they received the letter and two days before the expiration date. It said they didn't accept photocopies and that's it, while the contract said they did and the guy at the AT&T booth who signed me up assured they did.
I had something similar happen recently.  It was with my last 2 GB of RAM update.  OCZ had a $40 rebate on DDR2-800 2GB, and it was the reason I upgraded my RAM.

It wanted:
The original receipt
The UPC/barcode
The completed rebate form

I filled the form out, collected the required materials, put it all in an envelope, and sent it in.

A few months go by and I haven't gotten the check.  I check the web status thing, and it says my rebate was denied because I failed to provide the UPC.  They said I could still get the rebate, but they would need me to send in the UPC.

How in the hell could I do that when I don't have it anymore because I sent it in in the first place?!  (Yes, I am sure)

I wrote every OCZ e-mail I could find and went off about how they were scammers and I was never buying anything OCZ again.  I got the rebate.

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #5 on: Monday, November 12, 2007, 01:08:12 PM »
I have a feeling these companies employ professionals whose only jobs are to find ways to deny your rebate.

Your post made me angry again.

But then I just broke the contract and didn't pay AT&T another dime. They didn't have any credit info on me, so nothing lost.

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #6 on: Monday, November 12, 2007, 05:02:47 PM »
After reading that page while listening to the conversation, I have a different take on this, gpw.  This guy is pissed about being jerked around and he's looking for recorded evidence and drama about the situation.  I agree that he may be stupid for buying a PS3 in the first plac

Oh, I get what he's trying to do, I'm just saying he pretty much found the worst possible way of going about it.  I originally found this article on digg, and the comments there were a mixed bag ranging from "Sony sucks" to "This guy is a jackass".  My opinion is lying somewhere in the middle. 

Yeah, he "might" have been jerked around, but he left himself open to this.  This is what happens when you read sensationalist blogs like The Consumerist every day and take what they say to heart.  I'm fully with him up until he starts acting like a complete jackass.  His initial correspondence with a supervisor didn't go well, so what does he do?  Puts all his faith in the power of the internet.  Yes, it might work, but he's sacrificing so much more time than he has to. 

Here's how you deal with any CSR if you know what you want is hard to get:  You call, you get their name right away and refer to them by their name.  You don't yammer on about shit that has nothing to do with your problem "And another thing...there's no fucking games for the console...blah blah" but make little small talk while the guy is looking up your information and shit. You want to be as pleasant as possible without being a pushover.  If the CSR can't help you, you politely point out that you think you've exhausted all options at this level and you'd like to speak with their supervisor....you keep doing this until you get as high as you possibly can up the ladder and someone can either help you or give you a definite answer of "no one can do this for you without completely changing company policy".  If that happens you either drop it or you send an email to someone higher  up.  You either get what you want, or you waste a few hours.

This guy is all over the fucking place.  He's audibly pissed off, threatening a CSR who does not care in the slightest about whether or not 100 people on the internet are claiming to never buy another Sony product, and wasting so much fucking time on the lowest possible level.  What does he even hope to accomplish?  To record the guy saying that it probably doesn't void the warranty to have dust in there?  That in itself doesn't accomplish shit, because if Sony works like almost every other company out there, the CSR has no say over warranty validity, the techs do...that's their job and people higher up can overrule them, but a CSR can't.  So what it comes down to is he's trying to get a recording of this guy saying that dust will not violate the warranty...which again does shit all since as it was said, there is a clause in the warranty stating that 'acts of god and neglect' are not covered.  Appropriately vague.  Notice how it also doesn't say filling the console up with caulk will violate the warranty.  So what it comes down to is he has a recording of a CSR saying basically "Dust should not violate the letter of the warranty, but I haven't seen it and the techs make that call based on when they open up the console. The letter of the warranty leaves room for them to make this call."   Great job.  Even if the guy flat out said that it's not neglect it doesn't fucking matter.  He hasn't seen it and it's not his call.  Entrapping or tricking a misinformed employee from an entirely different branch of corporate infrastructure in no way constitutes a legal agreement.   Sony has so much room to play with that the only easy way to get his shit done is be nice and reasonable.  He might be able to do it this way, but in the end he'll spend so much time and effort it's not even worth the $150.

As for phone conversations being taped, it varies from place to place.  How it should work is that if a company is taping a conversation you are a part of you should have equal access to the recording, but it doesn't work that way.  Instead according to the state and country you live in there are different rules.  Some states have no laws about this, and some places (like Canada in general) have deal with non-concentrically acquired recorded evidence on a case to case basis according to context.  My general point is that the method he uses (which I've seen before) to get around the consent aspect of it where he lives is entirely pointless since it's very easy for ANYONE to argue it wasn't clear enough at all.   

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #7 on: Thursday, November 15, 2007, 12:53:39 PM »
Ok, the pictures have been released.  Now, for full effect it is important to read the original statement from the guy:

I have kept my 60gb PS3 in Its entertainment center since its purchase. It is known within the PS3 community that the thing is a HUGE dust magnet. I took good care of it, I have about 10 Blu-ray discs (did NOT come free with my PS3), 5 games, 5 controllers, 2 42" Bravia LCD's 1 50" Bravia 3lcd Rear projection TV, A Vaio desktop, Vaio laptop, I've even got a psp and location free TV. One day I turn it on and put in a disc and it doesn't show up, then it wont eject, finally I get it to eject and I try a blu-ray, nothing, CDs, nothing.
I call Customer support who originally tell me that they can do anything because I don't have the original sales receipt, (it was a GIFT!!!), I stayed on the phone for hours explaining to them that I don't have thee receipt as it was a gift from my parents. Finally I got a rep who said that it was strange that earlier reps hadn't let me go through with the exchange as if it was a gift it was policy not to require a receipt. He sent me a box, I boxed up my console and sent it in.

5 days later I have no updates on the PS3, I call in to check on it, The first rep I speak to says that it was received without a receipt, and was delayed but he was going to note that it was a gift and get the replacement sent out to me.

6 hours later I get a call from Neil saying that unfortunately they have opened the case and taken pictures of the inside and outside of the case and that it was too dirty to be eligible for replacement. I paused for a good 8 seconds, because my PS3 had not moved from the entertainment center that it sat in more than 8 months I had wiped it off before sending it out, THE WHOLE POINT of the PS3 Is that it is part of your entertainment center! I Told him that was crazy and that it was a known problem that the PS3 collected mass loads of dust. That their product hasn't even been out for 1 year and he's telling me I'm out of warranty because there is too much dust in it!? I told him that someone needed to double check because I really took care of my PS3 and there was no way it was so dirty that they wouldn't replace it. He said he would and he would find out about getting pictures.

Important parts bolded.  I also bolded the part about all the Sony gear because it's funny.  Anyways. a link to the pictures:

http://consumerist.com/consumer/polls/is-this-playstation-3-too-dusty-to-be-repaired-under-warranty-322858.php

....Where in the fuck did he keep this thing? 

Offline TheOtherBelmont

• Post-aholic
« Reply #8 on: Thursday, November 15, 2007, 01:07:00 PM »
Jesus christ, that thing looks like it was in the middle of the desert.  One of my friends has had his on his shelf since launch and it doesn't even look close to that.

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #9 on: Thursday, November 15, 2007, 01:12:28 PM »
If I didnt know better, I'd say those pictures are from 10 years from now where someone found an old PS3 at a barn sale.

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #10 on: Thursday, November 15, 2007, 01:25:37 PM »
Do you like how they loaded the poll?

-Yes, the console is too dusty and could pose a danger to the technition's health
-No, Sony should fix it.

Where the fuck is the option for "Yes, that's blatent negligence and ample evidence to suggest that the breakdown didn't occur because of faulty hardware."

The consumerist has turned into such garbage.

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #11 on: Thursday, November 15, 2007, 02:00:00 PM »
While that guy is a real ass for not taking care of his system -- it is far worse than I imagined -- to say the dust is hazardous to their tech's health is silly.

edit:

Also why the hell didn't he clean it up before sending it out? Seriously? What an ass.

Offline scottws

• Gold Member
    • Facebook Me
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday, November 21, 2007, 05:25:30 PM »
Do you like how they loaded the poll?

-Yes, the console is too dusty and could pose a danger to the technition's health
-No, Sony should fix it.

Where the fuck is the option for "Yes, that's blatent negligence and ample evidence to suggest that the breakdown didn't occur because of faulty hardware."

The consumerist has turned into such garbage.
Yep.  Noticed immediately.