Author Topic: The logistics of an Italian creation  (Read 6889 times)

Offline Ghandi

• HAMS
The logistics of an Italian creation
« on: Wednesday, November 14, 2007, 12:26:28 AM »
How can one individual justify the placement of toppings on the Italian classic that is pizza? Are not the toppings a statement of the larger picture that is Italian cuisine? Or are the individual toppings merely pawns in the overall justification of some Italian regime? Does our placement of said toppings signify our overall justification of the toppings, or are we merely replicating the aforementioned existence of these toppings with further placement? Furthermore, what does our selection signify? Do our selections signify personal preference, or individual hatred for certain toppings?

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
Re: The logistics of an Italian creation
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday, November 14, 2007, 12:35:27 AM »
I hate to even think about this.  It's such a source of stress for me.  The toppings are oppressed, but they are necessary in the overall scheme of restaurants.  Selection signifies acceptance of the status quo, yet the alternative cannot be contemplated.

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday, November 14, 2007, 12:39:21 AM »
It is too early in the morning here to get a headache.

Offline Ghandi

• HAMS
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday, November 14, 2007, 12:41:19 AM »
In what way are the toppings oppressed? I find this notion absurd. The fact that we dignify them with selection signifies our acceptance. What if we ignored the overall plight of the toppings? It would do nothing for the creation, except to denote personal preference. And, after all, is that not the end result of sacrifice? The expulsion of personal preference?

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday, November 14, 2007, 12:46:51 AM »
How the fuck is it absurd?!  They are literally oppressed by the fat thumbs of the sweaty guys running everything!  The system is so ingrained that opposing it would only lead to starvation.  So what's preferable, oppression, or slow, emaciating death?

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday, November 14, 2007, 12:48:46 AM »
In isolated incidents, I think the selection of pepperoni may not be indicative of true stereotyping, but may actually be considered preference.  This is rare, however, and generally speaking I believe this typifies the average pizza ordered by anyone that does not subscribe to any true or current theories about the proper concern that must go into the selection of his or her topping.  There are other factors to consider.  Were any third parties involved in the creation of that sausage, for instance, and was the anise that may be present there harvested by the environmentally-unfriendly farming methods so often used in its procurement, or was it done properly, and if so, was it done illegally in the back fields of central Asia?

These issues are relevant for a variety of reasons, not only relating to the environment and its immediate protection, but also in terms of discrimination and prejudice.  Anchovies have long taken a bad rap, and the favor shown to other toppings may unfairly result in a continued decline in the fisheries that take on the hard work of anchovy harvesting.  But in another world, the overfishing of anchovies might not only harm that species as a whole, but also do further damage to some of the more traditional Italian methods of meat curing that have lasted chiefly because of the sheer popularity of pepperoni.

Truly these are fine lines, and some may not be relevant where we stand with toppings today.  But in the future, it may behoove us to keep an open mind and to ensure that we, like the Romans and the druid tribes that gave birth to certain now-standard pizza cooking conventions, choose toppings carefully and with much forethought, lest our ignorance do anything to further damage the delicate beauty of the pizza-supported systems that have held for so long.

天才的な閃きと平均以下のテクニックやな。 課長有野

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday, November 14, 2007, 12:51:04 AM »
WTF?

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday, November 14, 2007, 12:54:31 AM »
Don't worry Idol. We'll eat the freakin' pizza as they watch.

Offline Ghandi

• HAMS
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday, November 14, 2007, 01:09:05 AM »
How the fuck is it absurd?!  They are literally oppressed by the fat thumbs of the sweaty guys running everything!  The system is so ingrained that opposing it would only lead to starvation.  So what's preferable, oppression, or slow, emaciating death?

Your selfish regard for the incarceration of such individuals disgusts me. Have the ideals of liberty and justice no regard in your perverted view of such individuals? Such ideals lead to disgusted notions of diluted individualism. Your expressions of placated freedom bemoan me.

In isolated incidents, I think the selection of pepperoni may not be indicative of true stereotyping, but may actually be considered preference.  This is rare, however, and generally speaking I believe this typifies the average pizza ordered by anyone that does not subscribe to any true or current theories about the proper concern that must go into the selection of his or her topping.  There are other factors to consider.  Were any third parties involved in the creation of that sausage, for instance, and was the anise that may be present there harvested by the environmentally-unfriendly farming methods so often used in its procurement, or was it done properly, and if so, was it done illegally in the back fields of central Asia?

These issues are relevant for a variety of reasons, not only relating to the environment and its immediate protection, but also in terms of discrimination and prejudice.  Anchovies have long taken a bad rap, and the favor shown to other toppings may unfairly result in a continued decline in the fisheries that take on the hard work of anchovy harvesting.  But in another world, the overfishing of anchovies might not only harm that species as a whole, but also do further damage to some of the more traditional Italian methods of meat curing that have lasted chiefly because of the sheer popularity of pepperoni.

Truly these are fine lines, and some may not be relevant where we stand with toppings today.  But in the future, it may behoove us to keep an open mind and to ensure that we, like the Romans and the druid tribes that gave birth to certain now-standard pizza cooking conventions, choose toppings carefully and with much forethought, lest our ignorance do anything to further damage the delicate beauty of the pizza-supported systems that have held for so long.

In behooving your subjunctive denunciation's of the toppings as individuals of inherent worth, I reject all notions of the individuals as being capable of achieving any sort of harm. Why should we, as inherently rational beings, subject ourselves to the whims of such individuals? Have we sunk ourselves to such depths? I should hope not.   

Offline Raisa

• Veteran
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday, November 14, 2007, 01:19:19 AM »
Why should we, as inherently rational beings, subject ourselves to the whims of such individuals?

Because we like pizza.
Taken.

Offline angrykeebler

• Veteran
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday, November 14, 2007, 03:46:20 PM »
People who like bell peppers in their pizza are probably fascists.
Suck it, Pugnate.

Offline TheOtherBelmont

• Post-aholic
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday, November 14, 2007, 04:08:47 PM »
I'm more of a ham and pineapple kind of guy.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday, November 14, 2007, 04:12:12 PM »
Racist.

Offline TheOtherBelmont

• Post-aholic
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday, November 14, 2007, 04:21:55 PM »
Veggies as toppings should be illegal.  It shows how backwards this country still is and how we have barely evolved from our ancestors.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday, November 14, 2007, 04:23:48 PM »
Meat whore.

EDIT - I don't know when this became the "Que is a belligerent asshole" thread.  But it did, at some point.

Offline Ghandi

• HAMS
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday, November 14, 2007, 04:38:14 PM »
Pizzas are yummy.

Offline Ghandi

• HAMS
« Reply #16 on: Saturday, November 17, 2007, 01:29:26 AM »
Just for the record, I would like to state that I was completely outclassed in this thread by Cobra and Que.

Also, Cobra's comment that, "I hate to even think about this.  It's such a source of stress for me," and Que talking about druid tribes are absolute comedic gold.

Offline Raisa

• Veteran
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday, December 05, 2007, 05:36:49 AM »
I despise this topic because it always makes my stomach growl.

toppings I love (not all at the same time): onions, garlic, roasted eggplant, olives, tomatoes, bell peppers, sometimes bitter melon!!! (try it!), sausages, cheeses of course, leftover adobo, spring onions, mushrooms - especially shiitake and more

But recently, I like plain cheese pizza.

I became allergic to tomatoes (and everything else that had tomatoes - ketchup etc).. so I ended up trying to make white sauce pizzas.. turned out real good..

Okay, I think i'm going to be doing some baking tomorrow ;)
Taken.

Offline Ghandi

• HAMS
« Reply #18 on: Tuesday, December 18, 2007, 12:43:05 AM »
White sauce pizzas are really good...

It's too bad that you have become allergic to tomatoes. They are the backbone of many good dishes.

I'm can make a really good pizza, though. It's my specialty. If I had enough money, I'd open a pizza restaurant. I would be content for the rest of my life.

Also, what is adobo? I'd look it up by I'm lazy.

Offline Raisa

• Veteran
« Reply #19 on: Monday, December 24, 2007, 03:37:36 AM »
adobo is actually a way of cooking something and a certain blend of spices/condiments.  The very basic adobo that i was taught: garlic, vinegar, sugar, pepper and soy sauce (i pass on the laurel leaves most of the time).   When you make the sauce from scratch, you cannot be scared of putting too much of this or too much of that.. if I'm cooking for 6 people, i usually use a whole bottle of vinegar, and equal amounts of soy sauce.. and you cook it a long time on low heat.. it's real good when done right.

Back to pizza, I would like to state that many pizza restaurants take great pride in strategically placed toppings to further allow people to salivate over their meal before devouring it.  As they say 60% of a meal's importance is on looks and scent.
Taken.