Author Topic: Own up!  (Read 17485 times)

Offline Raisa

• Veteran
Own up!
« on: Thursday, September 28, 2006, 11:48:35 PM »
come on now.. own up.. who watches chick flicks and what's your fav?
Taken.

Offline Ace_O_Spades

• Poster Child
Re: Own up!
« Reply #1 on: Friday, September 29, 2006, 12:49:25 AM »
I watch them with my roommates when they rent them... I have no favourites, it's mainly just an exercise in banging my head against the wall in response to the naivety of women who think men are like that.
The CONtrast
...Is the conTRAST
to THE contrast...

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #2 on: Friday, September 29, 2006, 12:59:57 AM »
I don't know if it qualifies, but I think Shakespeare in Love is a fantastic movie. The English Patient and Chocolate' are also good movies, the former being one of my all time favs. Moulin Rouge is also an excellent movie and is again part of my DVD collection.

Correct me if I am wrong, but aren't all of these produced by Miramax?

Anyway the one really cheesy chick flick that I do own and I am not 100% proud of is The English Patient. This girl I was dating at the time wanted to see it, so I bought it. It probably helped my goals, but the movie wasn't too good.

Having said that, it was at the time one of the best movies to show off the power of the DVD. The sea sequence with the waves hitting the boat etc., are incredible on DVD.

edit:

That last film is Message in a Bottle, not T.E.P. Jeebus.
« Last Edit: Saturday, September 30, 2006, 02:05:19 AM by Pugnate »

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #3 on: Friday, September 29, 2006, 06:48:28 AM »
There are a couple I can't help but like, but I'll be damned if I can remember what they are.  They tend to pop up on TV now and again.

天才的な閃きと平均以下のテクニックやな。 課長有野

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #4 on: Friday, September 29, 2006, 08:51:21 AM »
Does Chasing Amy count? Thats all I can think of.

Oh...maybe Big Fish?

Offline scottws

• Gold Member
    • Facebook Me
« Reply #5 on: Friday, September 29, 2006, 03:42:40 PM »
50 First Dates.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #6 on: Friday, September 29, 2006, 05:35:50 PM »
Big Fish is so not a chick flick.

Offline iPPi

• Roar!
« Reply #7 on: Friday, September 29, 2006, 05:41:12 PM »
50 First Dates.

That was a surprisingly enjoyable movie.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #8 on: Friday, September 29, 2006, 05:45:24 PM »
Yeah, I actually bought that one.  That's somewhat less of a chick flick, though.  I mean, it's Adam Sandler, so it's got a bunch of somewhat crude humor in it, too.  But yeah, I guess.  I found I actually liked the TV version better because some of said crudeness was edited out. That probably makes me less of a man.  But say so and I'll beat you in the head with a fucking pipe.

Offline JacksRag(e)

« Reply #9 on: Friday, September 29, 2006, 07:25:56 PM »
I don't know if it qualifies, but I think Shakespeare in Love is a fantastic movie. The English Patient and Chocolate' are also good movies, the former being one of my all time favs. Moulin Rouge is also an excellent movie and is again part of my DVD collection.

Anyway the one really cheesy chick flick that I do own and I am not 100% proud of is The English Patient. This girl I was dating at the time wanted to see it, so I bought it. It probably helped my goals, but the movie wasn't too good.

I'm confused....English Patient is good and one of your all time favs, but then you say it wasn't too good.  Whaaa?

Offline Antares

• Veteran
« Reply #10 on: Friday, September 29, 2006, 07:46:11 PM »
Bring it on?

Offline poomcgoo

• Poster Child
« Reply #11 on: Friday, September 29, 2006, 11:03:36 PM »
Big Fish is so not a chick flick.

Definitely not.  Great movie.

Offline Raisa

• Veteran
« Reply #12 on: Friday, September 29, 2006, 11:38:47 PM »
Big fish isn't..

Bring it on isn't.. that's one of those teen movies.

English patient could be..haha poor pug.

Shakespeare in love.. a bit yeah.. i liked Elizabeth better than shakespeare in love.. i never liked paltrow much.

50 first dates is i guess..

Little Women anyone? Pride and Prejudice?

Taken.

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #13 on: Saturday, September 30, 2006, 12:17:21 AM »
I remember I enjoyed Ten Things I Hate About You.. What else? Failure To Launch was not terrible, but I don't like Sarah Jessica Parker. She seems to have an aura of insincerity about her.. Reminds me of a few people I prefer not to think about. Ah, the things we do for girls.

By the way I think something's changing in me.. I watched The English Patient again (since sometime when I was in high school) and this time I actually enjoyed it, in fact one scene actually touched me, and I felt my eyes water! It's like all of sudden I'm emotionally susceptable or something!

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #14 on: Saturday, September 30, 2006, 12:23:00 AM »
SJP has got to be the ugliest horse's ass of a woman ever.  I have no idea how that freaking show got popular.  I don't want to watch any show with "sex" in the title that has that many ugly women.  There was only one young-looking one that looked at all attractive.

Sorry.  Rant.  I just can't stand that chick (looks aside... it's just the easiest jab to make since I really do think she looks like a horse).

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #15 on: Saturday, September 30, 2006, 01:20:55 AM »
I do like some.  Other than some stuff already posted, Notting Hill comes to mind.

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #16 on: Saturday, September 30, 2006, 02:04:14 AM »
I'm confused....English Patient is good and one of your all time favs, but then you say it wasn't too good.  Whaaa?

what the hell? I must have a tumor or something.

I wanted to say Message in a Bottle. The stupid Kevin Costner flick, which had a boat scene at the end that  was pretty cool on DVD.

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #17 on: Saturday, September 30, 2006, 02:06:36 AM »
SJP has got to be the ugliest horse's ass of a woman ever.  I have no idea how that freaking show got popular.  I don't want to watch any show with "sex" in the title that has that many ugly women.  There was only one young-looking one that looked at all attractive.

Sorry.  Rant.  I just can't stand that chick (looks aside... it's just the easiest jab to make since I really do think she looks like a horse).

I know exactly what you mean. I freakin' hate her, and I hate that stupid show. Worst are the women who watch and change their behavior to be like the idiots in the show because they think it is normal.

@!$@! SJP and f@#@$ the women who watch that crap.

Offline Raisa

• Veteran
« Reply #18 on: Saturday, September 30, 2006, 05:35:56 AM »
lol..  :-* i luv ya guys.. that's one show i've never watched.. not even one, never wanted to either... and ahha yah SJP.. i figured that well beauty is in the eye of the beholder yeah?  more people probably have bad taste then.

you know what.. my cousin is a huge fan of sex in the city... and.. the cousin is a male... well we think he's kinda going the female route.
Taken.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #19 on: Saturday, September 30, 2006, 08:24:30 AM »
I know too many men who like the show.  Including one who shall remain nameless.  *stares daggers at nameless person*

Offline JacksRag(e)

« Reply #20 on: Saturday, September 30, 2006, 08:45:01 AM »
Love Actually was very sweet.

Offline iPPi

• Roar!
« Reply #21 on: Saturday, September 30, 2006, 11:13:37 AM »
I liked Pride and Prejudice, but only because Kiera Knightley  :-*

Offline PyroMenace

« Reply #22 on: Saturday, September 30, 2006, 12:20:27 PM »
Garden State and Lost in Translation... Im not sure if they are considered chick flicks but thats as close as I can get, I love those movies.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #23 on: Saturday, September 30, 2006, 12:48:39 PM »
I haven't seen Garden State, but I wouldn't think Lost in Translation was a chick flick really.  More just an art flick.

Offline JacksRag(e)

« Reply #24 on: Saturday, September 30, 2006, 12:57:40 PM »
Garden State's more a coming of age/finding yourself movie rather than a chick flick.

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #25 on: Sunday, October 01, 2006, 01:10:16 PM »
I'm still confused as to why Lost in Translation was advertised as a comedy!

For example" "Murray is flat-out hilarious" -The Rolling Stone

It was one of the saddest movies I have seen! Sure it had some funny moments, but it was not a comedy! It was a thought-provoking movie about relationships! That would be like calling Scary Movie a "romantic tragedy" because of the death and sexual frustration that underlies the throng of toilet humour!

I came out of it really angry! It was a great movie, but I went in to watch a comedy, and I didn't get a comedy!

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #26 on: Sunday, October 01, 2006, 01:13:15 PM »
I disagree entirely.  It was a comedy, it just happened to be a lot more subtle, and the drama was actually dramatic as opposed to the usual shlop we get in other comedic films.

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #27 on: Sunday, October 01, 2006, 03:12:15 PM »
I disagree entirely.  It was a comedy, it just happened to be a lot more subtle, and the drama was actually dramatic as opposed to the usual shlop we get in other comedic films.
I don't know man.. I never really laughed during the movie.. I mean I appreciate the subtle humour of some of the moments, but it was more like "oh man, that would be awkward!" The majority of the movie was drama, and it was great drama! That's why I wouldn't categorize it as "Comedy."

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #28 on: Sunday, October 01, 2006, 03:24:43 PM »
Well, I still disgaree.  I laughed a lot on numerous occasions.

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #29 on: Sunday, October 01, 2006, 04:46:06 PM »
I identified with the Murray character in that movie, back when it first came out.  Sure, there were funny moments.  But it was drama to me, with an optimistic outlook.  Not all drama has to end up in tears.

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #30 on: Monday, October 02, 2006, 12:28:52 AM »
Oh yeah, I totally identified with the character, especially since I travel a lot I felt the movie really covered that sense of foreignness.

W7RE

« Reply #31 on: Monday, October 02, 2006, 07:41:19 AM »
Some of my list probably doesn't count as "chick flicks", but eh, here's the list of what I actually liked:

10 Things I Hate About You
She's All That
50 First Dates

Offline Ghandi

• HAMS
« Reply #32 on: Monday, October 02, 2006, 11:41:44 AM »
I've seen some with my sisters / various girls. I don't really remember the names. I did see Lost in Translation on my own, that was a good movie, don't know if it was really a chick flick.

And just for the record, every time I see Hugh Grant in a movie, I want to punch him in the face. I don't know what it is about him, he just annoys the shit outta me.

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #33 on: Monday, October 02, 2006, 01:44:21 PM »
Does Evita count as a chick flick? That was one movie I had to watch with my sister and her friend. Back in the day (when my sister was 13 or something) she wouldn't go to cinema alone, so as big bro I had to take her. Anyway, God I hated that one! I don't even know if it qualifies as a movie! It was like a musical waste of time.

By the end of it I had the whole theatre chanting "DIE! Die bitch DIE!" as Madonna was laying on her death bed, still frickin' singing!! Why won't she just die? AARgH! The only people who seemed to enjoy it were this really old couple sitting in the front-most seats. They came out saying "Oh, that was a marvelous performance.. Oh, I really enjoyed it!" sounding old and all.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
  • OWNet 4 Eternity & Beyond
« Reply #34 on: Monday, October 02, 2006, 04:13:40 PM »
Some chick flicks I did like...
--Bounce
--How To Lose A Guy In 10 Days
--10 Things I Hate About You
--Chocolat
--Notting Hill
--Love Actually

Some movies that I dunno' if it's a chick flick, drama, art house, or a few of the above, or all of the above:
--Lost in Translation
--Garden State

And BTW, I would consider LiT a comedy....the movie had a very off-beat and dry sense of humor, but it did hit its comedy out the park -- while at times, it was also very sad and dramatic. Great movie. I loved LiT.

I recently watched The Lake House -- it was okay, but it had a better concept than the actual execution of the movie. Namely, the sub-plots were just painful to watch w/ Keanu's somewhat-g/f and Sandra's somewhat-b/f. Plus, the story is kind of a mess. And at times, it was draggy....probably would've been a lot better, if those sub-plots were shit-canned.