Author Topic: Zero Punctuation -- Super Mario Galaxy  (Read 1796 times)

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
  • OWNet 4 Eternity & Beyond
Zero Punctuation -- Super Mario Galaxy
« on: Thursday, January 03, 2008, 07:16:46 PM »
You got to love Yahtzee...

He takes on SMG, this time.

I like the flash of his spoiler line....too funny.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
Re: Zero Punctuation -- Super Mario Galaxy
« Reply #1 on: Thursday, January 03, 2008, 07:21:07 PM »
Watched this last night.  Pretty funny stuff, though I don't generally agree with his outlook on Mario.  I don't think I've ever played a Mario game I didn't like (though I haven't played them all), and so many of them are in crazy different genres I don't think you can accuse the series of retreading old ground too much.  Still, funny.

天才的な閃きと平均以下のテクニックやな。 課長有野

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: Thursday, January 03, 2008, 10:35:25 PM »
Yeah, bitching about every Mario game being the same is like complaining that your heart works the same way day after day.  Or something.

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #3 on: Thursday, January 03, 2008, 11:06:22 PM »
Super Mario Bros, SMB2, SMB3, Super Mario World, SMW2: Yoshis Island, Mario 64, Mario Sunshine, New SMB, Mario Galaxy

Sure, the plot of saving the princess is the same (well, except Yoshis Island) but I fail to see how any of those really played the same. Thats like bitching about shooting things in a FPS.

Offline sirean_syan

• Global Moderator
  • Post-aholic
« Reply #4 on: Thursday, January 03, 2008, 11:46:56 PM »
The thing is, he's simply not allowed to like games anymore. He said it himself after the Pyschonauts review. People watch him to hear a game get bashed, nothing more.

That's not a bad thing, it's just his niche. He finds something that's entertaining to make fun of and runs with it. In the case of the recurring story in games like Zleda or Mario, it's like calling Ren bitchy. We all know it's true, have a good laugh, then move on because we don't really care and we might even like it that way.

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #5 on: Thursday, January 03, 2008, 11:55:10 PM »
I think he was contracted by PC Gamer to write their backspace column.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #6 on: Thursday, January 03, 2008, 11:56:34 PM »
True, I think in this case he just made the misstep of calling the games very similar, which they sort of aren't.  Usually he picks factual things to make fun of, and maybe he just worded it wrong, but he wasn't just talking about the plot as I recall.  But yes, you're right in general.  Though I thought the Psychonauts review was just as funny as the rest of them.  He just found other things to make fun of besides the game itself (i.e. the industry stuff surrounding it).

天才的な閃きと平均以下のテクニックやな。 課長有野

Offline Jedi

• Poster Child
« Reply #7 on: Friday, January 04, 2008, 02:18:25 AM »
I could type up something a little longer but what it boils down to is:
He's funny what's the fucking problem?

No one watches his reviews for a well balanced article of how good or bad a game is, so why should we debate what he says like it’s a piece of well informed journalistic material? As far as I care he’s played the game, has an opinion and has presented it in a way that I/we find funny.

I don't mean to come across as agro or whatever but.. yeah lets not over thinking something 'we' find funny.

Edit: oh shit I typed something longer.

Offline PyroMenace

« Reply #8 on: Friday, January 04, 2008, 05:52:15 AM »
Yea your not supposed to care, but I think that everyone found it not funny because it was... not funny. The novelty is wearing off, at least for me.

Offline Jedi

• Poster Child
« Reply #9 on: Friday, January 04, 2008, 04:32:31 PM »
Yea your not supposed to care, but I think that everyone found it not funny because it was... not funny. The novelty is wearing off, at least for me.

Haha yeah that too.