Author Topic: 120-160GB PS3 bundled with rumble controller coming, plus Sony able to cut price  (Read 3177 times)

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW

Offline K-man

• Post-aholic
  • HOW'S IT FEEEEEL IDOL
Re: 120-160GB PS3 bundled with rumble controller coming, plus Sony able to cut price
« Reply #1 on: Monday, January 28, 2008, 12:32:00 PM »
Man they really need to keep a SKU with backwards compatibility.  I know it probably doesn't mean a whole lot to some, but to me it ended up being a real dealbreaker.  I'd have been very disappointed if I wasn't able to find a 60 gig with hardware BC.

Offline scottws

• Gold Member
    • Facebook Me
Re: 120-160GB PS3 bundled with rumble controller coming, plus Sony able to cut price
« Reply #2 on: Monday, January 28, 2008, 12:44:15 PM »
I used to think Sony was screwed, but now I think that it is Microsoft that is in the worst position.  Their hardware is complete crap and everyone knows it and their library of games that doesn't appear on PC or won't appear on PC doesn't seem to be all that great.

Although it's anecdotal, everyone here at work that had a 360 either is selling or will sell it.  I'm the only person that hasn't decided, because of that Force Unleashed game.  But if I catch wind it's coming to PC then I won't hesitate to put that sucker up on Ebay and I'm not sure I want to keep this crappy Xenon-era hardware anyway.

XBLA is good, but not a deal-breaker. I've had my 360 disconnected since June and haven't really missed it.  I've been waiting for the next big thing and it just isn't coming.  Yeah there's Mass Effect and Assassin's Creed, but I hear both are probably coming to PC at some point.  Besides I don't really like RPGs all that much and AC just hasn't really interested me from the word I've heard on it from people here at work.

Offline iPPi

• Roar!
« Reply #3 on: Monday, January 28, 2008, 12:53:32 PM »
Heh, I might hold off for a bit before I buy a PS3, even though the primary reason for me buying one is for the blu-ray player.

I don't know why you think the 360 doesn't have a good enough library.  In this day and age, most games aren't exclusive anymore, but of the multiplatform releases, most are superior on the 360.  While the 360 does have shoddy hardware, it still offers a better alternative when comparing to the PS3.

It is also difficult to compare the 360 and the Wii -- the Wii caters more to the casual gamer, and while there are a couple of more serious games out there, most are still just a collaboration of minigames.  I'm playing Mario Galaxy and Zelda: Twilight Princess right now, but once I finish those two, there is nothing coming out in the next few months for the Wii that interest me at all.

Offline scottws

• Gold Member
    • Facebook Me
Re: 120-160GB PS3 bundled with rumble controller coming, plus Sony able to cut p
« Reply #4 on: Monday, January 28, 2008, 01:13:16 PM »
I've said it a million times before:  the Wii is targeting a while different audience than the PS3/360.  I don't think they should be compared at all, on nearly any level.  I don't think that faulting the Wii for a lack of deep single player games is fair because I don't really think that's what the system is for or even good at.  It's a fun thing to play with friends.

Also, I realize that most games are multiplatform now, which means to me that whatever exclusives it has better be plentiful or a lot better than another system's exclusives.  The 360's library isn't bad.  It's just that everything of interest (to me) is on the PC or most likely will be.

Offline K-man

• Post-aholic
  • HOW'S IT FEEEEEL IDOL
Re: 120-160GB PS3 bundled with rumble controller coming, plus Sony able to cut p
« Reply #5 on: Monday, January 28, 2008, 02:42:39 PM »
I've said it a million times before:  the Wii is targeting a while different audience than the PS3/360.  I don't think they should be compared at all, on nearly any level.  I don't think that faulting the Wii for a lack of deep single player games is fair because I don't really think that's what the system is for or even good at.  It's a fun thing to play with friends.

Also, I realize that most games are multiplatform now, which means to me that whatever exclusives it has better be plentiful or a lot better than another system's exclusives.  The 360's library isn't bad.  It's just that everything of interest (to me) is on the PC or most likely will be.

But that in no way means Microsoft is in the worst position.  On the contrary, they're very much in the best position.  In the US, they're essentially this generation's PS2.  Large install base with a large selection of games.  You can very much fault them for their hardware woes.  After some prodding, they did finally own up to it and are doing pretty much everything they can aside from a full-blown recall to remedy the issue.  The PS3 really has a chance to gain some ground this year with a few high-profile exclusives.  The 360 appears to be on track for a slower year than last.  Course that can all change with some announcements.  Sony will definitely gain ground, but they won't overtake the 360 in sales.  Nintendo isn't catering to us, and the Wii is basically another Gamecube:  The system you play nintendo's 2-3 heavy hitters per year, and little else.

You can throw 360's lack of sales in Japan into the argument, but Microsoft is pretty much proving that you don't need Japan to be successful any more.

And XBL still reigns supreme, even going against PS3's network.  PS3's network is completely lacking in features, and none of it ties in well at all.  Maybe we'll see a huge overhaul with Home.  They'd better do something if they seriously want to compete with XBL

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #6 on: Monday, January 28, 2008, 09:00:13 PM »
I've been considering getting a PS3 just to replace the ailing PS2, but the lack of hardware BC is what's keeping me off of it, too.  I found out that I'll probably be getting some inheritance money from my grandmother who recently passed (I wasn't expecting it), so that provides me with funds to use... but the question is now whether or not I really want to do that.  I might look and see if I can't still find one of the older models, but I've no idea what they go for now or if you can get them anywhere other than ebay.

The 360 thing has gotten a lot more alarming now that we know more about it.  I don't want to replace it in the future and it infuriates me that things are the way they are, but there are a lot of games on it that I really enjoy (that aren't on PC, or that I don't want to buy over again for PC) and I don't want to not have the system anymore.  It sucks, but there's fuck all I can do about it now.  I'd break the thing myself just to get in on the warranty and get a new one, but what's the point when I'll just be getting some other used piece of shit that they may or may not have fixed properly?  Pass.

So yeah, it's an interesting topic... but as for the original item of the 120-160GB PS3 with rumble controller... it all comes back to the lack of hardware BC.  I mean, I've heard the software they're using is pretty decent, but it's just one of those things you'd really prefer not to sacrifice when you're spending that much on a machine.

EDIT - Looking around, I see you can get them on ebay readily.  Still expensive, but not really worse than what they were previously.  Though I looked around and it actually seems like a few games I checked out have problems on the 60GB model but not the 80GB.  Anybody know anything on this?  That seems weird.
« Last Edit: Monday, January 28, 2008, 09:29:09 PM by Quemaqua »

天才的な閃きと平均以下のテクニックやな。 課長有野

Offline K-man

• Post-aholic
  • HOW'S IT FEEEEEL IDOL
« Reply #7 on: Monday, January 28, 2008, 09:30:37 PM »
the 360 is a definite love/hate relationship, for sure.  I personally couldn't live without mine now.  It's sad to say, but if mine broke with no warranty replacement, I'd probably end up shelling out for another one.

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #8 on: Monday, January 28, 2008, 09:43:06 PM »
I don't see the point of throwing out the baby with the bath water.  The 360 is here, and regardless of its fragile nature, it's decisively on top of the console heap.  Sony may or may not gain a lot of ground this year, but I'm not going to assume anything.  For now, it makes no sense for me to buy a PS3, even if I could afford one.

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #9 on: Monday, January 28, 2008, 11:02:16 PM »
I used to think Sony was screwed, but now I think that it is Microsoft that is in the worst position.  Their hardware is complete crap and everyone knows it and their library of games that doesn't appear on PC or won't appear on PC doesn't seem to be all that great.

Although it's anecdotal, everyone here at work that had a 360 either is selling or will sell it.  I'm the only person that hasn't decided, because of that Force Unleashed game.  But if I catch wind it's coming to PC then I won't hesitate to put that sucker up on Ebay and I'm not sure I want to keep this crappy Xenon-era hardware anyway.

XBLA is good, but not a deal-breaker. I've had my 360 disconnected since June and haven't really missed it.  I've been waiting for the next big thing and it just isn't coming.  Yeah there's Mass Effect and Assassin's Creed, but I hear both are probably coming to PC at some point.  Besides I don't really like RPGs all that much and AC just hasn't really interested me from the word I've heard on it from people here at work.

So what are these people wanting to game on? I am pretty surprised by your turn around though. I think the 360 has a good library to be honest. It is doing good business, and just started turning MS a profit.

I don't see the point of throwing out the baby with the bath water.  The 360 is here, and regardless of its fragile nature, it's decisively on top of the console heap.  Sony may or may not gain a lot of ground this year, but I'm not going to assume anything.  For now, it makes no sense for me to buy a PS3, even if I could afford one.

While it only has competition from the PS3, it is on top of it.

The Wii is streets ahead though. Strange thing about the Wii is that only Nintendo is eating at the table.

You see, according to reports coming out of Japan and the US of A, the Wii owners are not buying many games. The only people seeing a profit are Nintendo with their Wii bringing them a fucking MASSIVE profit of $150 per piece. The cost of production on this thing is about $100, and they had actually planned to drop prices to $150 but the unexpectedly massive success changed their minds.

The problem is that most Wii owners aren't using the console for other than Wii sports or a couple of Nintendo titles. Most of the other third party games are flopping big time, which really enforces the worries of those who have been burned by the lack of games on Nintendo consoles.

That's one of the reasons why developers in Japan have it in their interests to see the PS3 take off. They know PS3 owners actually buy games.

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday, January 29, 2008, 01:42:18 AM »
That's the thing, 3rd party Wii games aren't selling for shit, especially the good ones.  I imagine Nintendo sees this and basically doesn't care as long as they're rolling in green (and who can blame them?).  It'll be interesting to see if Nintendo continues this in the next generation and basically becomes the Popcap games of the console manufacturers. 

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday, January 29, 2008, 07:07:14 AM »
Haha!  And as long as they're Popcap Games, the real-game consoles stand in a league apart, and it doesn't matter how many more Wiis than 360s (or PS3s) are sold.  This could all change, but I doubt it.  There's still the hurdle of horsepower, regardless of the inventiveness of the controllers.

Offline scottws

• Gold Member
    • Facebook Me
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday, January 29, 2008, 07:19:25 AM »
Odd comment Cobra.  It's like you have some sort of vendetta against the Wii.  It's not like your tax money is funding the thing or anything.  It clearly doesn't interest you.  Don't buy it, or sell it if you have one if that's how you feel about it.

I have one, and I play it a hell of a lot more than my 360, even if the value of its "horsepower" is significantly lower.  Who cares so long as you have fun with it?  Isn't that the point?

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday, January 29, 2008, 07:34:37 AM »
What?  I don't see how what I said implies any kind of vendetta.  I have a Wii.  I played the hell out of Mario Galaxy, Metroid Prime 3 and Super Paper Mario.  No More Heroes arrived last night.  WTF, man?  I thought my comments were quite level-headed, given the reality of the hardware and the market.

Edit:

I guess I have to take my reply further.  First off, my comments about the Wii vis a vis the "real-game consoles" relates to how they are perceived in the marketplace.  While I am a longstanding Nintendo fan, even willing to shell out a $50 premium to buy a system that cannot be had any other way besides robbery, the reality is that I am an insignificant drop in the bucket.  The overwhelming trend is for Wiis to go to a significantly different demographic, one which is not into games hardcore like we are.  The combination of this reality with the horsepower shortfall spell a completely different approach overall to Wii game development.  Sucessful titles will most likely be restricted to original creations from Nintendo and close affiliates.  Ports of big games from PC or other systems are unlikely, or will be ports in name only.  (E.g., you can't do Assassin's Creed or Burnout Paradise on the Wii, not while keeping the games fundamentally intact.  Ain't gonna happen.)

Given this split in where the consoles find their audience, Microsoft and Sony are fighting over the traditional gaming share, while Nintendo is off on its own branch, enjoying unchallenged success.  Hence, to MS and Sony, it doesn't matter how many Wiis sell.
« Last Edit: Tuesday, January 29, 2008, 09:27:29 AM by Cobra951 »

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday, January 29, 2008, 09:34:34 AM »
I found an interesting podcast about how programming differs between the 360 and the PS3.  Very few surprises, really.  They pretty much confirm that squeezing the horsepower available on the PS3 is "a much bigger step" than doing the same on the 360.  It also touches on differences between Blu-ray and DVD data streaming.  Turns out that you can read data out of DVDs faster than Blu-ray if it's on the outside of the disc, so you can organize your data based on needed access speed.  Something to play in the background while you browse around.